Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 421406 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

It's very strange how the centers of the infection have shifted. Earlier in the year, you had reports a plenty about how covid was passing over rural counties and was a "city killer". Now it seems to be nearly the opposite.

I'd anticipate both slower reporting and an escalation in the death toll if this is the case - rural depression town boomers will not endure the virus or go to the hospital even if they want to.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile

Wisconsin is lovely this time of year, you should come visit.

Cough.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Republicans taking it to court and dragging it out for weeks and months instead of voting it down in one day is my favourite.

Maybe they’re using the time to brainstorm their response?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's very strange how the centers of the infection have shifted. Earlier in the year, you had reports a plenty about how covid was passing over rural counties and was a "city killer". Now it seems to be nearly the opposite.
Not really very strange. Places initially hit big (and naively, by the first shock arrival while people still travelled and we didn't know what was to come) now are better at mitigating - and, it must be said, the pool of the most vulnerable isn't vulnerable any more, one way or another. Complacency/reactionism in the other areas from not being so obviously impacted has become a ripe environment now that they are in the middle of the mess - and still with most of their pool of vulnerability sitting there awaiting their 'chance'.

(Local news: Wales is announcing that after its big 'circuit-breaker/fire-break' period, it will stop with the other different localised-lockdowns to make things simple, and stick with Wales-wide policies. England (effectively) is saying it is ruling out a national lockdown in favour of localised targetting, however. Scotland is doing what it sees fit, as usual and expected. NI is having a hard time, last I heard, but not sure which direction they're going. There's a call for all the nations to talk about a consistent and coordinated approach over Christmas, so that either everybody or nobody can travel anywhere or nowhere, but nobody seems hopeful that this will happen and everybody wouldn't be surprised.)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 11:38:52 am by Starver »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

They'll talk for sure, but agree on nothing and all go home doing their own thing as per usual

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19:What Wave is it Now? Edition
« Reply #4445 on: October 30, 2020, 10:47:19 pm »

I'm calling it that the US breaks 100,000 today. I've been thinking it was likely since they were reporting 92,000 cases with four hours left in the EST, but with it being 98,000 by 11 EST and west coast still processing I think it's highly likely.

Edit: the NYtimes claims it's just under 100,000 worldometers.org claims it was over. In practice it's insignificant on which side of six digits we're on, save that it seems sure, at this point, that there are dark days to come.

How is Europe holding up btw. I hear "bad" but I'm too consumed by the details of my local catastrophes.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 10:36:56 am by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4446 on: October 31, 2020, 12:26:13 pm »

France's worst day of cases & deaths in the last ~2 weeks was, when considering as a percentage of total population, worse than America's worst days. They're re-entering lockdown. (That said, US is still by far #1 in totals.)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4447 on: October 31, 2020, 01:01:58 pm »

The BBC is currently, while awaiting for the official Downing Street announcement that was due to start two hours ago, discussing the text of the email sent to MPs from the Prime Minister today that is apologising that the first thing they may have heard about what is to be announced was from the news last night.

Their priority right now being to investigate who leaked things last night.  I can only imagine that the delay right now is that they're trying to get several canary-traps set up and possibly even sprung.

(But the word on the non-Downing street is that we are going for another national lockdown, for a month. Not sure if that's England, England+Wales, getting Nicola to make it EW+Scotland... Ah, it's England, apparently. Again, this titbit of news from the News, not from the Boris, so... who knows?)

edit: Scotland, just Protection Levels 0-4 (only 1-3 currently in use); Wales "Firebreak" started 23 Oct until 9th Nov; NI restrictive "Measures" over Oct 16th-Nov 13th; England, perhaps the Lockdown II: Pandemic Boogaloo will go from ~5th November until ~5th December...

Given up on waiting on Boris emerging. I'll pick up the details later, as it won't actually change my plans much.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 01:32:50 pm by Starver »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4448 on: October 31, 2020, 05:03:51 pm »

England imposes new national lockdown to combat COVID-19 resurgence (This is a truly short fucking article but whatever here's your proof).

Oh yeah the BBC is also on it: Covid-19: PM announces four-week England lockdown
Pubs, restaurants, gyms and non-essential shops will have to close for four weeks from Thursday, he said.

But unlike the restrictions in spring, schools, colleges and universities can stay open.

After 2 December, the restrictions would be eased and regions would go back to the tiered system, he said.

Mr Johnson said: "Christmas is going to be different this year, perhaps very different, but it's my sincere hope and belief that by taking tough action now we can allow families across the country to be together."
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4449 on: October 31, 2020, 05:21:18 pm »

Incidentally, the current "Top 10 articles on the BBC News pages" are four about COVID stuff, four about Sean Connery, one about the weather (yacht capsizes in the current storm battering parts of the country, but not mine) and Firefighters rescue three men from a tumble drier...

Just in case the rest of the world wants to know what our country is most concerned about.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4450 on: November 01, 2020, 08:28:42 am »

After 2 December, the restrictions would be eased and regions would go back to the tiered system, [Boris] said.
Gove now says it could easily be longer. Depends upon "the facts". Which would be a first for both of them.

Congratulations (and fingers crossed it isn't retroactively made untrue) to Australia for recording zero (new?) cases of Covid yesterday, BTW.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4451 on: November 01, 2020, 08:51:50 am »

Congratulations (and fingers crossed it isn't retroactively made untrue) to Australia for recording zero (new?) cases of Covid yesterday, BTW.

Sorry to disappoint but official figures have 9 new cases for yesterday-ish (31/10) and 6 for today-ish (1/11).  [-ish because it's actually ticked over to 2/11 for a large part of the population = eastern seaboard already]

Current cases are running at 174 nationwide.  Still doing a hell of a lot better than many places (and coming into summer too  :).)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4452 on: November 01, 2020, 09:54:38 am »

I think[1] I probably meant that it was yesterday(/31st)'s announcement of the prior day(/30th)'s results. Which, as a Friday, might be hit by weekend-reporting lag effects. But as it's probably already effectively tomorrow(/2nd) over there, anywhere east of Queensland... if I've worked it out correctly... then who knows... ;)

[1] And can't confirm, because the spaces in that link's text that must be graphs seem to be coming to me by tramp steamer, and taking impossibly long to load...

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4453 on: November 01, 2020, 11:00:30 am »

At a guess you were probably seeing figures for the state of Victoria (main city Melbourne) which has been the hardest hit state in Aus by far and had a (comparatively) bad recent outbreak including somewhat controversial but seemingly quite effective lockdowns.  They reported 0 new cases for both 30./10 and 31/10.  Haven't got access to confirmed figures for 1/11 yet but three day 0 streak would top the 2 day one 25-26/10.  That's compared to 3 days of 14 new cases in the first half of October, and 687 new cases on August 4th back at the height of the last outbreak.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4454 on: November 01, 2020, 11:36:41 am »

Incidentally, the current "Top 10 articles on the BBC News pages" are four about COVID stuff, four about Sean Connery, one about the weather (yacht capsizes in the current storm battering parts of the country, but not mine) and Firefighters rescue three men from a tumble drier...

Just in case the rest of the world wants to know what our country is most concerned about.

I was actually looking for that story, ‘cause I forgot to click on it yesterday when I wanted a bit less covid and Connery.

Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 459