Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423934 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19:Son of the Mask edition
« Reply #5715 on: August 11, 2021, 08:16:26 am »

I'm getting second thoughts about facemasks. I am sure they do indeed help contain the spread of the virus.

BUT THEY ARE BECOMING [...]

16-18 months ago, here, they were much more obvious, even slightly before it was mandated. In fact, it was the early-adopters who came along to the initial socially-distanced queue for the supermarket, winding its elongated way around a hastilly constructed set of barriers placed snaking-round the quiet end of the carpark, already blue-masked and bluer-gloves. My favourites were the two young women who seemingly had dressed up for shopping (no kidding - short skirts, revealing top, uncomfortable footwear, at least one with a puffy faux-fur jacket pretty much falling off her shoulders, YGTI) who I'm gonna assume were care-home staff 'off-shift' in the middle of the day with no real evidence (especially their clothing) but for their easy and carefree use of the then rare-as-hen's-teeth 'PPE'.

...anyway, however few there were of the blue-maskers, you'd see them all over the place around the supermarket carpark where their single-useness had been uncerimoniously ended, and even in country verges where wind and/or window-dumped had sent them drifting.

These days I don't see so many of these. Obviously all those not litterpicked/drifted under the hedges out of sight are still extant, they've been found in reefs and deep ocean and have spread out (apparently[1]), but the numbers visible are surprisingly low (still non-zero). What I do see are cloth-based masks. Still plastics-/polymers-heavy, even if as microplastic shedding, but Leviticus-defying mixed-fabric constructions. And, meaningfully, obviously accidental discards, not one-use-then-bye-bye but ones with corporate logos, superheros, fashionable animal-stripes/spots, clearly a chosen and reusable mask that might even have its loss rued rather than just one in a long line of packaged single-trip ones.

(In my own pocket, if I check, I probably currently have three masks. Two of the 'spares' reusable but not fashionable ones that I dislike because they're particular difficult to prevent glasses-steaming with, seemingly forcing all air (not going through the dense filtering cloth) straight up the bridge of my nose; and a 'one use blue mask' I was forced to use at one of my jab visits, because I didn't want to just chuck it without thought (incidentally, it seems to filter much less and indiscriminately side-flow in all directions much more). As it was used for only around half an hour, it seemed to me that (with time enough to deprecate any actual pathogens it filtered in any given instance) it would act as a spare-spare. Though it probably looks a bit scrunched now so may not be accepted by another "you must use a blue mask!" venue, in future.

Also in my pocket I should have another blue-mask (from the other jab-visit, with same issues and intents) and my 'old faithful' mask, hand-crafted in the early days and - for something made to a general pattern - very much comforting[2] and washed regularly (in cycle with the spares). But I've managed to lose both (adding to whatever verge/hedgerow/gutter-load there already was) at one or other post-pocket-delving time when I've been careless. (Though, in my early days, I kept my nice-mask in a sandwich bag for over-finnicky 'biosecure' extraction/re-envelopment, and at least I no longer had it in that, so the bag isn't causing trouble with the environment at the same time.)

[1] Alhough I'm betting the source of these are as likely properly disposed masks then improperly packed in a 'garbage container' for transnational 'recycling' of the current controversial sort, then suffered the fate of many a shipped container of being lost in a storm and spilling out to be trapped in a plastics gyre or settling far from habitation but really not that far from shipping lanes.

[2] Triple-layered fabric and nicely face-hugging. It had a length of (I think) straightened paperclip in the 'top' edge (though only by feeling for it can you tell which way up it should be) that helps to crimp around the nose profile and prevents spectacle-steam quite convincingly. I miss it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5716 on: August 11, 2021, 09:24:50 am »

Yes, masks have now joined cigarette butts, drink cups and potato chip bags in the gutters as daily variety trash. SMH.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5717 on: August 11, 2021, 10:16:06 am »

Same old same old, we know the kind: needs to be reminded everytime, will roll eyes and stall, and throw their mask on the floor as soon as possible. Adult babies.

I thought I lost my cloth mask yesterday and I was very upset. The paper ones are annoying AF but I don´t mind this cloth one.
let

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5718 on: August 14, 2021, 01:54:39 pm »

Just returned from a work trip to Texas, where I'd previously been three weeks ago. Two of the guys there tested positive for COVID and got sick pretty much immediately after I left. On this return trip, both were back to work. One was making a legit effort to be masked, one was not. The masked guy talked about his symptoms and experiences with it, the unmasked guy said nary a word about it. Not sure if either were vaccinated before. Me and my boss are both vaccinated and, I guess, for a few reasons, neither of us wore our masks. Nor can I really say I practiced COVID safe behavior. It's a friggin truck yard with 1 bathroom for everyone, countertops to lean on work on, goin in and out of doors, touching everyone's personal computer keyboards and mice, shaking everyone's hand, riding in their vehicles to lunch, eating lunch with them.....basically, if I really wanted to be safe I was going to be having to go to extremes and it would have likely affected how it all went.

And I guess in my mind, it was a test of the vaccine for me.

Just took my first COVID self-test. Assuming I did it right and the test is accurate, it came back negative. I have one more complete kit I'll take tomorrow.

So I may have managed to escape' the Hot Zone without bringing it back with me. The local news reports were basically like "No pediatric beds available due to COVID" and "20% of hospital beds left due to COVID and falling." They mandated masks for kids in school a day or so before I left, despite the governor threatening to illegally reduce their pay (which he can't.)

Suffice to say I'm feeling cautious relief.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 02:36:47 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5719 on: August 14, 2021, 09:31:37 pm »

It's not specifically COVID filling up pediatric beds. There's also RSV going around, which is more dangerous for infants. (Naturally, there's an overlap for those admitted with both.)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 09:36:39 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #5720 on: August 15, 2021, 02:51:56 pm »

technically possibly true, functionally irrelevant if the pandemic still means people cannot get adequate care

this smells like more 'covid death count' nonsense, or ammunition at midterm elections for some about-face whataboutism

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5721 on: August 16, 2021, 11:21:02 am »

Second shot got.

I think the needle hurt more this time than the first, and right away I have a headache that I'm not sure if it's because of the vaccine or the hot weather.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5722 on: August 16, 2021, 01:08:21 pm »

I think the needle hurt more this time than the first, and right away I have a headache that I'm not sure if it's because of the vaccine or the hot weather.
Could be just a less competent injector. (Especially if they injected it into your head, not your arm.  :P )

Welcome to the clan. You'll be receiving your remote nanochip updates shortly*. Please do not try to resist.

* - if you close your eyes at the right moment, you should see "Uninstalling DOS 6.0, installing Windows ME" scroll up your vision. It tends to stick at 78% installed for longer than you'd think it should, but that's just Media Player indexing your memories, apparently.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5723 on: August 16, 2021, 04:04:30 pm »

Could be just a less competent injector. (Especially if they injected it into your head, not your arm.  :P )

Welcome to the clan. You'll be receiving your remote nanochip updates shortly*. Please do not try to resist.

* - if you close your eyes at the right moment, you should see "Uninstalling DOS 6.0, installing Windows ME" scroll up your vision. It tends to stick at 78% installed for longer than you'd think it should, but that's just Media Player indexing your memories, apparently.

At first I was alarmed by the Bonzi Buddy hiding in my eyelids, but now it's like I really do have a friend.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5724 on: August 17, 2021, 09:21:54 am »

Noting that it's not my locale, doesn't effect me (for good or ill), but it seems to me the better side of caution that NZ has been locked down in response to the one new (detected) case. Three days nationally, seven days in the community involved.

The point being that the source of the infection is not identified, and so there would obviously be other infections going on, unchecked if not dealt with. And it is speculated to be Delta, which would be a factor to consider if confirmed. It's too late for GB, US, most other ISO-codes (even AU, possibly), but NZ might be able to hold it at bay[1]. Though I don't exactly know how the efforts (governmental/public) are proceding to match with preventative protection. 20% vaccination, apparently, but I don't know how much supply and/or demand limits are involved, without diving into various interpretions.

I think NZ is well-placed to deal with this, if everybody is sensible. And (apart from throwing themselves off a bridge with a length of knicker-elastic, rolling down hills in big balls and careering up and down canyons in jet-boats! ...which quickly became the tourists doing it, anyway, as with visiting active volcanic islands) I always tend to think of Kiwis as sensible. And good in an emergency. Please don't cause me to be disillusioned about this.

[1] In order to become the post-apocalyptic home of the saviour telepaths in The Chrysalids!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5725 on: August 17, 2021, 08:01:41 pm »

The governor of Texas (which has become deeply anti-vax after a decade of people moving in from California) has been fighting anti-COVID measures. Threatening to defund school districts that require masks or vaccinations, removing liquor licenses from bars/restaurants that do the same, making it illegal for government employees to have a vaccination card, etc.

He's now on very expensive COVID medications (most likely at taxpayer expense) after catching the virus. Unlike most people here, he's able to get tested and treatment, but it's not going to help his arguments.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5726 on: August 17, 2021, 08:54:14 pm »

620,493 deaths in the US according to the CDC.
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#datatracker-home

I haven’t been really keeping very detailed attention to covid. This is eye opening stuff from Texas. Governor Abbott seems to just disregard the safety and lives of people.
Max avatar size is 80x80

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5727 on: August 17, 2021, 09:44:06 pm »

It's all to save people from the tyranny of wearing a mask, you see.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5728 on: August 18, 2021, 03:27:06 am »

The governor of Texas (which has become deeply anti-vax after a decade of people moving in from California) has been fighting anti-COVID measures. Threatening to defund school districts that require masks or vaccinations, removing liquor licenses from bars/restaurants that do the same, making it illegal for government employees to have a vaccination card, etc.

He's now on very expensive COVID medications (most likely at taxpayer expense) after catching the virus. Unlike most people here, he's able to get tested and treatment, but it's not going to help his arguments.

He was vaccinated himself, though.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5729 on: August 18, 2021, 05:38:10 am »

Ought to be a handy lesson that vaccinations alone can't suffice without continuing to use other precautions like social-distancing and masks. Just as distancing and masking cannot do better alone than also combined with a vaccine.

(And an iron will/vibrant faith/self-confidence in your body being able to naturally repel it (or, in the worst case, shrug it off after it catches onto you anyway) may not be much use, and far less use without either/both the above.)

Ought to be... Probably won't be, to those that are already primed against any/all of the suite of precautions.
Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 ... 459