00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 240313 times)

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act II:Ancient Enemies
« Reply #1170 on: March 25, 2020, 08:31:55 pm »

This is a disaster...

"We will repay the blood spilt by these abominations ten times over.  Hold true to your duty and do what must be done.  Las-gunners, approach the plaza in loose formation.  Mercenaries, wait among them and get ready to defend the las-gunners from any charging foes.  Let the light of the Holy SEED snuff out the darkness!"

Approach the plaza.  Use overloads to attack targets at range.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 08:55:37 pm by ZBridges »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: March 25, 2020, 08:46:16 pm »

It's bad, but the artillery came through. I feel this sort of thing is par-for-the-course for Crusader warfare.

This one's had millennia of warfare to hone its tactics.

"Head on in. Gun down anything that still moves."
Grab a Thornton fusion rifle, if we can-- failing that, get out our SMG. Soon as we've a good shot, we're gonna Overload our weapon into the nearest insect or mook horde. Leave ourselves open for Alphira to take control, if she feels the need.

This battlefield is ours.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: March 25, 2020, 09:14:49 pm »

William sees you leave your rubble, and looks in askance of you when you give the order to move in, as do your men. No one protests as you begin to approach the plaza--

[18]The next shells whistle through the air, and explode in vibrant flames that burn through the masses of abominations stationed there. You can see their skin peel and crack as they scramble for cover. A red flare flies up from the southwest, followed by another. You're close enough to the continued barrage of pure firepower raining down on the square that Major Anderson has to pull you close to yell in your ear. "The bridges are lost!"

[12 vs 2] Major Anderson shoots a white flare into the air, and across the plaza, to either of your flanks, you see your men begin to advance into the artillery strike, shooting down anything that tries to run close to them.

Shells continue to rain burning hellfire down on the square as you inch closer-- and one hits the ruins to your east, exploding into fire that engulfs what remains of the structure. Your troops halt here, Major Anderson gives the signal, ducking into whatever cover they can as they begin to open fire on anything in the square, and you turn your attention, not to the scattering and confused abominations being picked off by your troops. But instead to the structure in the center, beside the collapsed and burning church. It's tall, and gleams with the same sickly writhing gray skin that the abominations do, all around it are scattered charred human remains. Organic openings that fill you with nausea are sealed tight with twisting, writhing membranes, but something prickles you with the danger of it.

It comes to you a moment later--those openings are as big as the Insects you faced earlier.

[15+2 vs 12][10+2 vs 7][5 vs 5]The barrage ceases, and your men open fire on the square, spraying whatever enemy can mount a resistance. Flames lick across the square, the grey stones once underfoot twisted out and blackened by the fire, covered with corpses. A few more of your soldiers die, too many to count at a glance, either ambushed by twisted abominations in the ruins they take cover in, or shot by the las-guns that still remain in the plaza.

Your ears ring, and commands have to be given directly into the faces of the soldiers, but the plaza, and the structure, for the most part, seem clear, besides for a few writhing organisms trying to inch their way to the structure.

You rise from your cover, and William approaches behind you, watching the smoke burn into the sky, taking up ash and dust with it. "Lot of trust for those artillerists, there, Phebe." You notice, unlike your troops, that he seems to be able to hear and speak perfectly.

Unexpected, but not unwelcome. The Plaza is clear, but you know there are more to the south, and in the ruins around you.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers and Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Relationships (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 09:26:51 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: March 25, 2020, 09:21:42 pm »

Link up with the flanks.  Assess the number of casualties.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: March 25, 2020, 10:18:23 pm »

Its a stride across the plaza and your officers all congregate together. The news is...not great. Out of all twelve thousand troops, you have little over seven hundred and fifty left, with both flanks having lost roughly half of their force to ambushes. One hundred and fifty of those are wounded and on light-action duty. You're left with six hundred able-bodied soldiers--

[6] And they're exhausted. You don't need to see their faces. It shows on the gas masks they wear. Soot, and blood, and dull black matter covering them in clumps. Their shoulders are slumped beneath their dusters. Some have hollow stares as they shift in cover, waiting for the next order.

William reports, after a very brief check-in with his forces, that they're down to thirty Thornton Warmachines in total. His eyes are dilated, and he seems a little dazed but gives you a nod and a smile when you ask if he's okay.

"We've lost more Thorntons here in a day than in the five years I've been running our ops."

« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 11:30:10 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: March 25, 2020, 10:23:19 pm »

It's nice that they're holding together.  With so many casualties, normally they would rout, I would think.

All the officers, including William and Gem, should propose plans of action.  Offer a plan to direct artillery onto each road, one road at a time, to draw them out onto the plaza and cut them down with sustained fire from cover.

We have a ton of ammunition and nutrient cubes left.  I think we should start doing more of the heavy lifting.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 05:06:49 am by ZBridges »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: March 25, 2020, 10:24:56 pm »

It's nice that they're holding together.  With so many casualties, normally they would rout, I would think.

All the officers, including William and Gem, should propose plans of action.  Offer that we can direct artillery on each road, to soften them up, before we move in to destroy the survivors.
Before thst, let’s heal our injured soldiers, and try to transfer someEndurance to the tired but able bodied ones

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: March 25, 2020, 10:55:21 pm »

I am wary to attempt to use untested powers on our soldiers, but if we could make that happen, it would probably improve their morale...

Not worth the risk in my opinion.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 11:11:43 pm by ZBridges »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: March 26, 2020, 08:12:28 am »

"We're all going to have grieving to do here, I think."

All the officers, including William and Gem, should propose plans of action.  Offer a plan to direct artillery onto each road, one road at a time, to draw them out onto the plaza and cut them down with sustained fire from cover.

We have a ton of ammunition and nutrient cubes left.  I think we should start doing more of the heavy lifting.

Well I keep saying we should be Overloading on stuff
but somehow it doesn't happen
anyway

+1

klonk
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: March 26, 2020, 10:15:01 am »

"We're all going to have grieving to do here, I think."

Well I keep saying we should be Overloading on stuff
but somehow it doesn't happen
anyway

+1
+1 let’s overload

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: March 26, 2020, 04:05:43 pm »

"Directing the Artillery like that is going to be taxing, and slow our advancement into the southern sections of the city." The officers duck into shelter with you into a bit of still-standing rubble, Major Anderson states, peeling off his gas-mask to speak. "It's going to be hard to send runners back and forth, especially when we don't fully control the northern section of the city."

"Do we have more flares?" Gem volunteers and Anderson glances at her with narrowed eyes. "if we do, we could try to direct the artillery with something like that. But it would be coming in close. We got lucky with this plaza strike-- if any of those shots were just a fraction off, or the wind shifted, we could've had bloody hell rain down on us."

"We do have more flares," The young officer leading the western flank offers, "But, like you said, if we're not lucky we could be wiped out by friendly fire. We need to do something different, though. By the time the encirclement closes in, we could have casualties too high to sustain a defense of this city."

William paces outside of the half-structure, and you notice his dilated eyes are fixed on the plague structure that towers a good thirty feet above the plaza. Clouds of ash and dust drift by. "I'm more concerned about what we should with that. I don't like it. It -squirms-, and we don't know what the hell it is."

He lifts his las-rifle, aiming at the tubular structure sticking out of the ground, and his las pulse pops against the armored exterior. It writhes in response but settles back into undulating shortly. Then it begins to twitch and writhe heavily. You cannot detect a heartbeat or any other biological function, but you couldn't notice the insects, either.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: March 26, 2020, 04:09:06 pm »

[Lucille-- what is that thing?]

klonk
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: March 26, 2020, 04:14:14 pm »

[Lucille-- what is that thing?]
+1 whatever it is, Overload should do some damage to it

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: March 26, 2020, 04:14:33 pm »

[No applicable data comes up, dear Sadil]

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: March 26, 2020, 04:35:32 pm »

[Right, thank you.]

The Strain of our childhood... did it have anything like this?

klonk
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 381