00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 240298 times)

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act III: Sol's Reign
« Reply #2985 on: April 28, 2020, 02:38:50 pm »

I agree to fighting somewhere else. I don't want our allies to get hurt or the building to be damaged.

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: April 28, 2020, 05:30:52 pm »

I hate PMs because I can't edit them. So many grammar and bad word choices. Why am I like this -- and why doesn't this software I have help correct that! -.-'
I'll get you hooked up Zultan. Although that is the last one.
Aw. Did you run out of backgrounds or that you always had a hard limit on the number of backgrounds for the players?

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: April 28, 2020, 06:03:26 pm »

There is a hard limit to the number of prime ancestors that the MC has. If you don't mind a weaker cadet branch or a rigorous, very tightly controlled life story, then it isn't an issue. The Cadets Branches have limited importance on the story, but the strict one has a great importance but isn't very open-ended.

"[...I agree, let us go somewhere else. I will try Magnus' Emissary by fire.]" You murmur tightly --, and you drop your will. Lavoisier's Scion bows her head, doing the same. William and Emma slump, looking tired, breathing hard.

"[That's for the best.]" She nods, giving you a smile in exchange. "[I feel riding in an elevator together to the pad would be anti-climatic, no? I'll fix this.]" Lavoisier's Scion crudely throws one of the chairs through the window, sending it spiraling to the mountain below. She reaches out with her will, ripping apart the plastics of another to form larger and larger wings, which she compacts and folds within the tight space.

You, having no such time requirement to summon your's, instead go to the shell-shocked Emma, who stares at Lavoisier's Scion with a slack jaw and pale countenance. You pull her tightly into a hug and then give her a kiss, which she returns when her senses return. "Pheb-e I..."

You kiss her again, speaking softly with your forehead resting against her's, embracing her. "We're going to fight-- not to the death. I will return."

Emma glances between the two of you then gives a weak, small nod. "I love you." It is about all she can manage.

"I love you too."

You unrestrain your wings, letting them heat the cold room. Lavoisier's Scion stretches one side, then the other, her lips quirking into a frown. Thick black lines stretch out from her back, and each wing almost seems to fill the room. She gives them an experimental flap and glances at you. Without further ado, she takes a running start and launches herself out of the broken window. Her wings of plastic feathers twist open, catching the wind. And she rises ungracefully into the air.

I was hoping to hear a splat...

You, however, are the epitome of grace as you step out of the window and rise into the sky above your new fortress. The air here is cold, and the oxygen thin, but not so bad, not yet. Your greedy lungs work in overtime as you set off towards the north, guided by the light of the stars. You can hear Lavoisier's Scion behind you, trying to keep pace with her cumbersome wings. When you drop down onto a sandy, barren plain in the middle of a crater, she's nowhere in sight.

It takes her an hour to find you, and she scowls when she drops down.

"[You left me behind.]" Lavoisier's Scion states when she folds her wings upon her back.

"[You betrayed my trust. I don't know why you expect anything less than pettiness from me.]" You retort, bluntly. To the Scion's credit, she frowns. Then, slowly, she takes off the mask of Iyal and reveals herself. She looks similar to you, with an androgynous face, with eyes a cold, dark gray. Her hair is of the same color but shines with oil in the light of the stars, and her skin is pale, nearly translucent. She flashes you a smile filled with only slightly too pointed teeth.

"[I'm sorry.]" She states gently, genuinely, "[I am Cephie of Lavoisier, in service to Empyreal Noble Scion Magnus The Third of House Magnus.]"

"[I am Pheobe, Pheonix of Sol.]"

"[Alphira is truly dead then?]"

"[I consumed any memories and identity she might have had left.]"

Cephie gives a hesitant nod at that, "[She was a contract breaker, by all accounts. Killed her own men when they refused to flee beyond the edge of the rim, into the Neverending Void.]"

You shrug, unable to remember the deeds accused.

Cephie approaches, and you tense. She removes a small pouch, pulling out two small, round capsules. "[Do you remember these?]"

"[No.]"

"[Take all the nutrition of entire feasts, compress the atoms, and then surround it with nano-assemblers. You'll get these. Each one gives me roughly twenty-four [ uses of power] You might be different -- you're a bit more energetic than me.]"

She gets into your personal space, but you still, taking the capsule in hand, it's not water, or alcohol, or wine, but it will do. You pop the tablet into your mouth with your arm intertwined in hers. Cephie does the same, and the two of you return to your positions. Without further ceremony, the two of you return to your previous levels of willpower -- she is not as strong as you, but not so weak that you can consume her.

...she has more experience and utility.

"[After this,]" You begin, rising on your wings while she rips hers apart, letting them fall to the ground, "[One way or the other, we must fight the plague on this world.]"

"[I agree. Magnus, I'm sure, if you don't upset him, will render aid with that as well if it is necessary.]"

You both sit just on the edge of the other's will, her looking up at you, you looking down at her.

Then you exchange the first blow.

[12][7 vs. 6][8]
     [2+1 vs. 20] Sharp darts whistle haphazardly through the air as Cephie backs up, and you fly closer, gathering your willpower up in an Inferno. You lash at her with it, striking at her physical form. The flesh of her right side boils and singes as you scour her torso and arm down to the bone. She grits her teeth, and while your will is focused on the Inferno, she lashes at you with her's. You reel, your wings failing as she interrupts the process that keeps you aloft. You bend your legs as you hit the ground, but your knee pops loudly, and you nearly buckle and fall. You do not heal -- and neither does she, wrapping the wound tightly with carbon crystals.

"[Are you so sure about your master's intent that opposing me is wise?  Is our honest self-reflection so dangerous to his plans?]"

[3] "[One of your ancestors must have been a poet.]" Cephie retorts. You laugh, giving her a feral grin, which she returns in kind.

[20][14 vs 13][15]
     [12+1 vs. 8] You do not make the same mistake, you concentrate your willpower into a spear while focusing your Inferno into a beam of heat. You jab haphazardly with the former, and take careful aim with the other-- Cephie focuses on shielding herself, but you interrupt her. She screams in pain as the fires wash over her, collapsing back with a heave of her chest. She shifts, dragging herself back to her feet, her torso and face a mess of burnt and charred flesh.

[9][5 vs 11][10]
     [9+1 vs. 4] Cephie begins to move, dancing across the battlefield gracefully, even as you burn away the surface below with scouring flames. She doesn't retort, her burnt skin falls away to be consumed by your fires as she heals. You lash out with your willpower, and she falters, stumbling to the ground with a grunt.

[20 vs. 1] "[I'm not a good match for you.]" Cephie admits, with a pained wince as she rises, "[It might be rude to yield so quickly, but I don't think I can provide you with a good battle. Would you mind?]"

...usually these last a lot longer...I'm...I'm kinda dissapointed it was that easy. This was supposed to be our testing blows.

The sun begins to rise on the horizon, as you stare down at Cephie with disappointment. "Uh..." Is about all you can stammer, as she slumps down, rubbing at her face -- is she...is she crying?!

You float above, awkwardly.

So much for experienced!

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers and Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ties (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 06:24:00 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: April 28, 2020, 06:13:02 pm »

TAKE THAT, FAKE IYAL

Ahem.

Wait for Cephie to rise to her feet (but keep an eye on her.) We can afford to be gracious now, as befits our celestial* heritage.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 06:23:58 pm by Eschar »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: April 28, 2020, 06:33:32 pm »

"It's okay. No one can succeed in all their battles. What will you do now?"

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: April 28, 2020, 06:38:34 pm »

"Fake" is perhaps overmuch-- this is, after all, the girl we knew as Iyal.
All things considered, this has gone beautifully. We've a foothold now in the Void, with people who (hopefully) aren't actively trying to kill us!

It'd be against dueling creed to yield in falsehood, I assume.

Sigh, nod. "I accept your capitulation."
Descend, slow and gentle-- with a bit of a smile, perhaps. "Can't win 'em all. What happens now, Cephie of Lavoisier?"
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 06:40:28 pm by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: April 28, 2020, 06:43:13 pm »

I'm not so sure about that foothold in the void. Something tells me that Magnus's intentions are less than benevolent.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: April 28, 2020, 06:43:21 pm »

"Fake" is perhaps overmuch-- this is, after all, the girl we knew as Iyal.
All things considered, this has gone beautifully. We've a foothold now in the Void, with people who (hopefully) aren't actively trying to kill us!

It'd be against dueling creed to yield in falsehood, I assume.

Sigh, nod. "I accept your capitulation."
Descend, slow and gentle-- with a bit of a smile, perhaps. "Can't win 'em all. What happens now, Cephie of Lavoisier?"

+1

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: April 28, 2020, 06:58:24 pm »

"Do you yield?" You question, hovering, ready to dodge.

The blow never comes, Cephie nodding, "I yield."

Cephie straightens, breathing out a heavy breath as you descend. You knit your leg back together, wincing in pain as your knee pops back into place. The shattered bone and broken ligaments knitting themselves back together. You wiggle your toes and bend it as you approach. You think about standing over her, instead, you sit next to her with a crunch of the salty sand below. Cephie sighs as she peels the last of her burnt skin off.

"[How many of our kind have you fought before?]" You question.

"[Only one other...but if you're not Alphira, this was your first time, wasn't it?]"

You nod in response, and she breathes out another sigh. "[We can't win all of our battles. What happens now?]"

"[I killed the loser of my first.]" She murmurs. "[I don't have my deathwish yet.]"

"[How...long have you been...?]"

"[Eight years, personal time.]" Cephie responds, with a sigh. Personal time being a measure of time awake from cryosleep or other time dilation; a personal clock of life events unrelated to anything else but private reckoning. Spacers and Voiddwellers usually are the only ones who keep track, treating themselves as a vessel in of themselves.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: April 28, 2020, 07:05:34 pm »

"What does your master want with me and the people who live here?"

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: April 28, 2020, 07:25:19 pm »

Not much of a foothold, perhaps-- but a foothold all the same! I'm just glad these people aren't actively chasing the bounty on our head.
We would do well, I think, to make an ally once more of this "Cephie". She is for time being our best hope at survival among the stars.

"Mm."
Let the silence hang a bit.

"...I always counted Iyal a friend, you know-- even if she put a knife to my back by way of first greeting." Glance askance. "I should like to count Cephie of Lavoisier the same way, if she'll have it."

+1
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: April 28, 2020, 07:39:01 pm »

Not much of a foothold, perhaps-- but a foothold all the same! I'm just glad these people aren't actively chasing the bounty on our head.
We would do well, I think, to make an ally once more of this "Cephie". She is for time being our best hope at survival among the stars.

"Mm."
Let the silence hang a bit.

"...I always counted Iyal a friend, you know-- even if she put a knife to my back by way of first greeting." Glance askance. "I should like to count Cephie of Lavoisier the same way, if she'll have it."

+1
+1

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: April 28, 2020, 07:40:54 pm »

"[These people here are humans. They deserve Empyrean protection. That was a right granted to all humans, by the Emperor.]"

You nod. The Empyre established universal rights for all sentient humans. Protection from threats such as Plague, from Pirates, from unchained artificial intelligences. Wars had rules. Petty empires couldn't put entire planets to the torch. Genocide and wholesale slaughter was answered with an Empyrean Naval fleet.

"[As for you...I don't know. I was told to monitor and contain you, and alert him if you had Void capabilities.]"

"[I counted Iyal as a friend. Even if she put a knife in my back by way of first greeting.]" You offer, "[You two are similar, in that regard.]"

"[I'm bound to Magnus by contract. I will not break it...he's the one who granted me my Ascendence. He'll probably take it from me for my failure.]" Cephie replies crisply.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 07:43:37 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: April 28, 2020, 07:45:24 pm »

We have twelve years to prepare for Magnus. If he wants to take this world by force, we must be ready. It will not be easy for him to defeat the heirs of the Void Slayer himself.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: April 28, 2020, 07:52:24 pm »

Magnus can't take Ascendance from Cephie if she doesn't go back, I assume. We could offer her our protection if she stays and sides with us... but that's a big and presumably dishonorable decision, so I wouldn't be surprised if she goes completely beserk with righteous rage at the offer. Then again, having failed to defeat us, she has little to lose.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 09:18:36 pm by Eschar »
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 381