00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 240325 times)

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act III: Sol's Reign
« Reply #4050 on: June 17, 2020, 12:46:20 pm »

Maybe that would be for the best. This world and the Void are unkind. Perhaps I should try to be just as cruel. Or perhaps I should just give up -- save this world and turn myself over for death. I would inspire many with my sacrifice -- reignite the rebellion that wages across the stars.

[17][20][8][14]
First, you knit your hand back together. The process is complicated, but, when you remember what your hand looked like, how it felt, how it operated, the fire goes out, and the dust twists itself back into the shape of your flesh and bone. For a second, when your concentration breaks, flames start to spread up your arm, but you regain control of the arithmetic before the damage can spread. With a heavy breath, you flex your pale fingers.

[18] You heal the minor bruises and scratches across your body, and finish patching the hole in your chest. You decide to take a look -- and between your breasts, laterally, is a line of ugly, pink scar tissue.

[8 vs 6]
[16 vs 4]
The Abomination you approach is mindless -- it huddles in the shade against the cold, its twisted parody of a human face turning towards you as you approach. It makes to lunge but stops within its tracks as you bring your will to bear against it. It's a struggle at first, eventually, it stills, staring at you blankly. Its gnashing teeth and cloven jaw working at nothing. You step closer, and it doesn't respond to your body temperature as long as you keep up the pressure of your willpower. You pat it gently, delicately, with a finger.

Nothing.

[20] You thought that freezing something would be much more difficult than heating something up. Surprisingly, it isn't. While your area of effect is small -- its still large enough that you can still the atoms of hydrogen bound up in the molecules of water within the Abomination's throat. You force the formula with your anger-- and the creature goes still as faint frost forms on around its neck. It sways, then collapses, and, with a faint shatter, its head tumbles away.

I dare say that worked well. I can't freeze its entire body, though. I don't think I'm strong enough to literally slow down or stop the motion of all the hydrogen.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers and Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ties (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Holdings (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 12:49:02 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: June 17, 2020, 02:12:07 pm »

Ho, there's a trick.

Whatever your choice in the coming years, φοῖνιξ, we will see it through-- but if you wish to save this world still, you shall have to cling to your humanity a while longer yet. Your people need you whole.

Now... purge this ruin. Finish your work.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 02:14:14 pm by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: June 17, 2020, 03:50:43 pm »

You can be a greater inspiration alive than dead. Don't be so quick to give in to desperation and despair.

Ho, there's a trick.

Whatever your choice in the coming years, φοῖνιξ, we will see it through-- but if you wish to save this world still, you shall have to cling to your humanity a while longer yet. Your people need you whole.

+1. Do so by imparting kinetic energy on the hydrogen within the abominations, sending them or parts of their bodies flying away at speed.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: June 17, 2020, 04:08:50 pm »

You can be a greater inspiration alive than dead. Don't be so quick to give in to desperation and despair.

Ho, there's a trick.

+1. Do so by imparting kinetic energy on the hydrogen within the abominations, sending them or parts of their bodies flying away at speed.
I think burning them would be a better option, sending parts flying spreads them and can potentially infect animals that find and ingest the parts. Burning them eliminates that risk

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: June 17, 2020, 04:19:18 pm »

By encountering new ways to use our powers, we increase our versatility and survivability. If we just burned everything to death, the plague would adapt and eventually render that useless.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: June 17, 2020, 05:37:39 pm »

By encountering new ways to use our powers, we increase our versatility and survivability. If we just burned everything to death, the plague would adapt and eventually render that useless.
this is fair, I’m worried about potentially spreading it, like if vultures or Barkers found the resulting pieces and ate them, there;d be plague vultures and Barkers. That’s why I suggested burning, as that’s a sure way to stop the pieces from causing infections, though thinking about it now, the heat from moving all those hydrogen atoms would likely still end up burning the parts

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: June 17, 2020, 06:38:45 pm »

Maybe we could try launching one or two abominations by applying force to the hydrogen within them, just to see if it works, and the rest we could burn as normal?

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: June 17, 2020, 10:07:39 pm »

[16][4][18]
You find a few abominations clustered together, and, from the air, you try to fling them apart by imparting kinetic energy into their flesh. It's not as visceral as you hope for -- they fly back dramatically but are otherwise intact. Two of them do, at least. The third lumbers towards you stupidly, reaching out with its gnarled hands to try and grab at your feet.

[17]
That one you focus on. Using hydrogen in two different sides of its body as reference points, you twist them away from each other with a sudden force-- and bones crack as the pressure of its vital fluids rips against one another. It slumps down, dead-- but there's no visceral removal of limbs or explosion of gore. The two you sent flying huddle together in a crook, against the wind, having seemingly lost sight of or interest in you. The look no worse for the wear-- besides maybe some bruising from you flinging them away.

Can't I just drop this city in a hole? Killing every abomination is going to take all day-- I've already lost like three of them.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 10:17:21 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: June 17, 2020, 10:44:23 pm »

Good grief, can you? That's amazing-- go for it.

klonk
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: June 17, 2020, 10:49:07 pm »

..I...I didn't expect to honestly get permission. Not gonna lie...I was just trying to be...lazy. Want me to try?

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: June 17, 2020, 11:30:56 pm »

[20] You consider the mathematics, then, with a stroke of inspiration, you decide to try for maximum damage. Instead of trying to rip apart the earth, you instead will let gravity do the work for you.

[11][19][15]
Gathering up the maximum amount of material you can lift, roughly [two thousand and four hundred kilograms] of silicon, you begin to lift yourself, and it up. Up, and up, and up, pushing yourself higher and higher, focusing on the lift of your wings and the heavy material that strains against your willpower.

[Pull up an altimeter, Lucille.]

[14][14][10]
It's a struggle to lift this much material, but you manage, until your altimeter chimes in at [20 miles]. You push yourself a little higher-- the air is freezing here, and the reaction to sustain your wings begin to falter as the oxygen thins.

[25 miles]

[13][4][5]
You cannot sustain it any longer as your stomach growls angerily with the strain on your calories. You're lightheaded with hunger -- and decide to cut your losses. You sever your willpower -- and the rough orb of silicon drops, gathering speed, faster and faster, hitting terminal velocity. You can see the explosion from where you gently hover down -- a small cloud of deterius flying up into space from the impact to meet you.

The city center where you fought is a crater, and small fires burn across the remaining blocks. There's a cloud of ash and dust drifting down, and you drop on to some rubble in the outskirts, polishing off the last of your nutrient cubes -- your stomach still rumbles as you survey the damage. You've leveled half the small city, reducing it to a crater with the energy of the dropped rock.

By my math, that rock had about [7.57549590924 × 108 joules of energy or 1.5kt of TNT] on impact.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 11:43:58 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: June 17, 2020, 11:39:06 pm »

That was incredible!  It looks like it's time to head back, though.

Return to Stormmont.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: June 17, 2020, 11:57:44 pm »

Ha! Your "laziness" is an inspiration.

I've come to realize, Phoenix...
I have no idea what you're capable of. Again and again you've proven this so-- if you tell me you can work a miracle, I will believe.

klonk
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: June 18, 2020, 12:08:23 am »

[-] Your wings flicker and die when you try to lift yourself into the ai -- your stomach pounding with each beat of your heart like a fist striking it--

...don't speak too soon. I think I overdid it again. At least this time I'm not bleeding out -- or stuck on the bottom of an ocean. With shaky feet, and a glance to the north from where you came, you begin the long trek back to Stormmont. Night falls as you trudge through fallow fields covered in snow and ash. A farmhouse sits here or there, but they are all empty -- besides the corpses that could not escape the blast. The food stores have been ruined by the wet, the radiation, the freezing cold, and burning heat -- picked clean of anything substantial by scavengers.

[18] You come across a small manor, behind a wall of concrete and barbed wire. Rotting corpses sit at their posts, bones showing through flesh that froze mid-slough. A pang of hunger rumbles within your stomach as you hesitate to enter. A Family Villa, intact from the earthquakes and rending of the earth from SEED's self-destruction. There is no gunshot to meet you, so you step closer to the gate.

You hesitate. There might be bandits, or Infected, or a renegade Family within.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 12:12:01 am by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: June 18, 2020, 12:14:51 am »

Do you detect any reactors within?