Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409475 times)

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)
« Reply #2715 on: January 07, 2023, 06:18:58 pm »

Bogeymen are one of the great untold mysteries of this world. It could be a nice theme for an adventure to try and find these elusive creatures by spending a night in each of the evil areas. I think there is a good chance they are out there somewhere.

I’ve certainly seen bogeyman leather pouches - one was submitted as a museum piece. Does that mean they exist in Orid Xem?

Saying that, I’ve also seen some really weird leather pouches - merperson, werejackal etc… maybe it’s totally randomised?

Thanks for the kind words Lurker and Avolition. Trying to come up with an explanation in game for why Moldath goes rogue for decades at a time with new identities, and why he always ends up “incredibly skinny.” Having a rotten brain might explain it…

His changing physiology/anatomy is odd too. I think it might be something to do with months of surgery chopping his flesh off and him not being able to drink blood, but when he reverts to his prime personality he is incredibly muscular again.

I really find him a fascinating character, like he has a mind of his own and I have to come up with explanations for the weird shit he does…
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

WonderPsycho

• Bay Watcher
  • Necromancy Cultist, Any and All Pronouns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: January 07, 2023, 07:28:14 pm »

I based my comment on the fact that I saw no mentions of bogeymen in adventurers' logs, either those on this thread or while looking through kill lists in Legends Mode (do note that while Legends Mode does note all kills, Legends Viewer only notes the named, unculled kills, so always take the former as a definite source). I had assumed (and heard) that bogeymen were completely removed from v.40 upwards. The wiki says what Bralbaard says through. That being said, I might be technically correct in that Orid Xem might not have bogeymen since I never saw any reference to them (and realistically, out of almost 100 adventurers someone should have at least encountered them, if not outright killed them. Nirmek, the only one of his kind in the world, somehow had chance encounters with not one, but two adventurers, yet nobody was bothered by a bogeyman). I've also looked into Orid Xem events log, which lists all known populations (gotta admit Troglodytes: 65728 and Trolls: 65509 worry me, to say the least) and it doesn't list one bogeyman (I tried the alternate spelling version boogey too).

That being said, they definitely existed in Mudungudon. I found two so far in adventurers' kill logs.

In relation to the character though, it makes sense. He's a random goblin in the middle of a zombie apocalypse who think he'll be the hero. That tales of bogeymen came from other worlds, or that night creatures are still believed to be bogeymen, makes perfect sense in-story. So you have no reason to apologize, Ocna's fears make perfect sense in-story.

oh thanks
GLORY UPON THE LORDS OF DEATH, PRAISE NECROMANCY!!

Zed Apocalypse Undead Infection Mini Mod
Civs+ Mod

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: January 07, 2023, 09:07:21 pm »

With the Ear's dream of a new empire on the verge of ruin and being surrounded by a plague of undeath there is only one thing to do:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lb3MTlIrC4

Question: Do you think being talented as a fighter and swordswolf would make me able to stand my own against blight folk?

Currently punching a deer while it vomits on me
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 09:54:22 pm by Maloy »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: January 07, 2023, 09:24:50 pm »

I’ve certainly seen bogeyman leather pouches - one was submitted as a museum piece. Does that mean they exist in Orid Xem?

Saying that, I’ve also seen some really weird leather pouches - merperson, werejackal etc… maybe it’s totally randomised?
I've seen way more forgotten beast pouches that were probably RNG'd than any forgotten beasts have been slayed in world generation.

As for the others, check Legends Viewer, it says how many of any species there are (which includes no mention of bogeymen). On the other hand, it says there are over 5,000 cave dragons, which... I am very skeptical about.

Another weird thing (in Orid Xem) I saw was a dwarf in early world generation being taken by a mood and actually failing to create the artifact, resulting in their death by starvation (I assume melancholy was simulated). Does that mean world generation actually simulates moods, including what the materials that the civilization has access to? Does it even simulate what was mined or butchered to give the mood dwarf their items? I always assumed world generation just takes random dwarves and puts artifacts in their hands.

I've also seen statues generating with Museum adventurers stories on them in sites that had been abandoned centuries before world activation.
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: January 08, 2023, 04:47:49 am »

Yes, the way the game refers to, and uses populations and creatures needs some work. Also were bogeyman populations tracked in  legends viewer files of the first museum games? I have never thought of them as real creatures, but rather as dangerous imaginative beings that are created in the minds of lonely stranded adventurers. They dissapear without a trace if you find other people, or if the sun rises. The game might not track their numbers at all.

@Maloy Blight creatures are dangerous, and have skill levels as well, I think. Fighting a master swordsman thrall would be a challenge. Unarmed peasants are easier, but not easy. Wear good armor to protect you from catching the plague yourselves, and run when needed.There are other players far more skilled in combat than me though. Most of my characters just avoid anything mildly dangerous and only have a few kills, Raki excluded.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 05:41:37 am by Bralbaard »

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: January 08, 2023, 06:41:10 am »

With the Ear's dream of a new empire on the verge of ruin and being surrounded by a plague of undeath there is only one thing to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lb3MTlIrC4

Question: Do you think being talented as a fighter and swordswolf would make me able to stand my own against blight folk?

Currently punching a deer while it vomits on me
Blighted creatures retain their skill levels and can use whatever gear they have on them at the time, including armor and weapons. They still bleed and I think they're still affected by nerve damage/limb integrity. Newly-created thralls may also be hostile to one another until you travel off-site (and maybe beyond, can't remember off the top of my head), but that occurs sporadically enough that I wouldn't count on it. 

My personal advice: train dodge, shield, fighter, your weapon skill, and possibly observation before you go thrall-hunting. I personally suggest "Expert" to "Accomplished" levels on at least the first two if you're feeling risk averse, or "Adept/Talented" if you're in a hurry. Make sure that you have armor on all parts of your body - preferably metal, since that seems harder for thralls' teeth to get through - and are holding at least one shield (so even if you fail to dodge, you might automatically block the attack.) Pass time between movements by pressing the ',' key -- this'll make timings easier, and minimizes the chance of a thrall hitting you during the usual movement/waiting period.

When facing a thrall, check them out by pressing l and selecting them first. If they've got an arm or leg uncovered, focus on hitting that part whenever there's a good chance of doing so; if you get lucky you might cause them to drop their weapon, or cripple their mobility. When a thrall attacks you, your best bet is to dodge outright due to their strength and potential skill levels. Observation comes in handy here: if your opponent has 'Starting' or 'Recovering' anywhere in their attack menu description, they're usually easier to hit and you might be able to guess how they're about to attack you (e.x.: if their right arm is "Hard/can't land squarely" but their left is "Easier/Solid", they're probably about to punch you with their left hand.)

Like Bralbaard said, Peasant Thralls are easier to fight than armoured ones due to the lack of weapons/armor; your best bet against them is to go for the neck and head, or the limbs if you can't hit either easily. Armored ones are difficult, so I'd advise trying quickly attacking for unarmoured limbs then dodging (multi-attack will be your friend for this) to bleed them out over time. If you find yourself injured or getting tired, running away and fast-travelling to heal yourself is definitely advisable.

Oh, and if they have "master", "elite", or anything similar in the name -- run.

I hope this helps in your Blight-hunting endeavours.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: January 08, 2023, 07:23:27 am »

Thanks guys! I'm hoping most will just be converted peasants!

Yarlig mentioned there were a lot near my town and so I am just preparing
Plus I've been meaning to train my character for awhile. One of the main reasons I haven't accomplished a ton per turn is because of caution. He's a dabbling swordsman despite decades of existence

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: January 08, 2023, 07:45:24 am »

Yes, dabbling swordsman will probably miss a lot. Though I suggest maces or axes. I had a lot of trouble with that undead horse, and counter-intuitively I used an axe at the end and it was actually effective, so I stuck to that (poor unnamed ☼adamantine sword☼, it stayed in my inventory since then unused, unless Moldath traded for it).

My view on it (despite one of my characters dying to one of them) is you should just consider them as night creatures and undead. They're even less dangerous than undead because they don't have line-of-sight spells. The BIGGEST problems are, in my opinion:
* being infected, which was covered above
* being attacked by more than one, which also means they activate all undead/necros/possibly vampires against you and on their side. If that happens, RUN!
* leaving them to fight uninfected; they WILL infect them; I have seen it
* another problem is that they'll start fighting and infecting inhabitants as soon as you load the site, regardless of how long you scout around town; in that case, you'll find yourself in the situation of points 2 & 3, in which case, RUN!

As QD pointed out, recently infected will still fight the thralls, but you'll have to leave the site and return to deal with the infected that nominally remained on your side, otherwise there might be the risk of the rest of the UNINFECTED townspeople will brand you an enemy. If you leave and return, it will mean basically resetting the fight and running through the above points again.

They're not insurmountable odds, but if they have weapons and get a lucky hit in...

My advice is to follow QD's training montage, go into the wilderness around a town you know is safe, kill animals, sleep, repeat until you get good stats.

Re: Bralbaard, you have a point, I just checked Mudungudon's stats at turn 77 and it mentions no bogeymen. That being said, they're definitely real. They appear in Legends Mode kill list, which means the world itself acknowledges their existence. The problem is they're not named. This is also the case with some yeti, trolls and even goblins. I'm curious if a bogeyman gets a kill, do they get named? That'd make it undoubtable that the world recognizes them as existing.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 07:48:03 am by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: January 08, 2023, 08:44:10 am »

Yes I remember they gain names when they kill someone, but I doubt if those named bogeyman can be encountered again due to the mechanism by which they spawn.  Their general populations are at least not getting tracked. In the current museum game the conditions for them to spawn will be very rare. I doubt many adventurers have spend the night alone in an evil region, we only have a few of those) I also think the evil region needs a specific sphere as well (nightmares?).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 08:47:02 am by Bralbaard »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: January 08, 2023, 09:39:02 am »

Think you might be right there, i spent many nights alone in The Ugly Forests and encountered no nightmares just foul blendec. Not sure how to see evil biome sphere. But the wiki says they need either nightmares or darkness

Also the fact they are ellusive makes:

42: A bogeyman leather pouch Few, if any reliable sightings of bogeymen exist, and they and their corpses are said to dissapear in daylight. Somehow Yawo Rainstir managed to obtain this pouch made of bogeyman leather that is stable in the light. Submitted by Tonnot 98

That much more interersting. Certainly seen a few crafts like that.

Seems Avolition might have something to do after seeing this on the wiki.
Interestingly, bogeymen will be friendly towards creatures with the [NOFEAR] token. Playing as one of those will make you totally safe from bogeymen; in the vanilla game, the (three currently) available creatures with this token are humanoid arachnid people: the bark scorpion man, the brown recluse spider man, and the jumping spider man. It doesn't prevent bogeyman encounters, however; sleeping in the wilderness may still result in getting surrounded by cackling, and the bogeymen will still teleport towards you, as well as prevent you from sleeping or traveling.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: January 08, 2023, 09:27:12 pm »

Even after these many years of rulership Maloy still preferred to conduct his meetings in the small hovel he originally shared with several other locals. He usually only chose to go to his keep at night in order to be alone, but as far as anyone was aware did not sleep there or even keep a bed.

Still Arthur personally found it appealing that somethings didn't change. They were sat in a circle on on the dirty floor: Maloy the Lord of ruined Incenseorder, Mirailei former baroness of the Walled Dye and Arthur the merchant living in a world without trade.

Maloy seemed to be listening to something with his head cocked to the side, a common form of pondering for him, and then he turned his head toward me "I need a favor to-" He paused as if scolded "I mean I have orders for you!"
Mirai chuckled viciously "Don't forget that I used outrank you. I'll be listening to this favor"
Maloy gave an annoyed glance to her "Yes. Well, I need you both to go south and find something for me"
Arthur had his arms crossed as he spoke "This isn't really a safe time to travel, friend. Everywhere around Incenseorder has been hit with the blight. Trade is non-existent now and there's been sightings of that 'Blind Sadist' all over the place"
"Not that we have reason to be afraid, but it seems like we could just wait a few decades until someone clears the area for us" Mirai interjected
Maloy shook his head vigorously "No! I won't wait decades! I'm not letting Incenseorder go back to being a backwater farming village!"

Arthur sighed. The situation was depressing for him. Trade was non-existent in these lands now. It seemed the only group capable of getting a carvan out was the Walled Dye and he had no interest in joining with them. Arthur had his own stash of treasures and goods, but it meant nothing in a world where people lacked the basic means of survival. Mirai gave the wolf-man a look of pity
"It's already over. All your villages are wiped out and without them to provide food and raw materials it means the folk around here will have to, which means no one in Incenseorder has any time to do anything but farm" She stood up and began to walk towards the window "Several of the artists we convinced to come here to build the 'art capital of the world' have already quit and left. Welcome to the same boat our people were trapped in"

Maloy's tail was wagging vigorously as he shouted "That's why you two are going to go south! I know how to turn this around!"
Arthur spoke up "What are we looking for and how far south?" He was crestfallen about his loss of career, but maybe a journey to new lands might open his heart to new opportunities.
"A place called the Merged Jungles. It's south. Far south. Well past the Tundra of Heroes in lands I've never even heard of before this. I need you to find a dwarf. More specifically his body"
Silence ensued. It was madness. Even if the pair could avoid danger along the way the distance was ridiculous. It was like being asked to jump off the edge of the map and hope you land on something soft.
Mirai responded with total and uncharacteristic calm "Where in the Merged Jungles?"
"I don't know." Maloy paused a moment and crooked his head to the side "Before you reach the far southern mountains you should look for a camp called The Shelter of Adventures"
Arthur bolted up
"HUH!? Our only thing to go on is to find a camp before the mountains? Who is in the camp? How big are these jungles? How does this stop the blight?!"

Mirai put an arm in front of Arthur "Will this be a guaranteed way to stop the blight?"
Maloy looked down eyes closed "Yes."
"Will it let you build the world you have been dreaming of"
"Yes."
"I was tired of watching these stupid humans get new wrinkles anyway. We were gonna head south anyway, but if we run into your cadaver we'll see if we have time to come back with it" Mirai grabbed the sleeve of Arthur's coat and began to drag him along
"Thank you" Maloy whispered and then crooked his head to the side again "Why didn't you mention that earlier?!" He reached a paw out towards the two elves "Wait wait wait! Sorry the...dwarf. He might not be fully dead. He's not blighted, but he might not be resting peacefully either. Uhm. If you find him and he's still walking around don't fight him just let me know where he is!"

Arthur was concerned at the strange reaction and this new information
"Sorry to waste more of your time Mirai, but I simply must know. Maloy what are you going to be doing while we're gone?"
"It's a secret, but it's just as essential!"

and with that the friends parted ways.

OOC: Obv not done with turn, but I wanted to write out the beginning only because I wanted to tease the purpose of my turn lol
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 06:09:17 am by Maloy »

WonderPsycho

• Bay Watcher
  • Necromancy Cultist, Any and All Pronouns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: January 08, 2023, 11:08:04 pm »

OOC: Obv not done with turn, but I wanted to write out the beginning only because I wanted to tease the purpose of my turn lol

ooooooooh very interesting first post of the turn, very interested in seeing where things go
GLORY UPON THE LORDS OF DEATH, PRAISE NECROMANCY!!

Zed Apocalypse Undead Infection Mini Mod
Civs+ Mod

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: January 09, 2023, 03:13:25 am »

Ah...very interesting. I'll be playing my right hand next turn, but will certainly make use of whatever this will lead to.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: January 09, 2023, 12:47:51 pm »

Okay so I’m narrowing in on our dwarf friend I think.
I’ve found the random odor of a dwarf in the jungle and am circling it like a vulture currently.

I am inclined to think I can find this from my own research. Bodies in the wilderness don’t disappear outright they just have to be found manually. In fact on the way to the jungles I passed by several animal corpses that other previous adventurers had butchered. So this isn’t impossible just very difficult.

So questions I wanna ask:
1.who played Bor Mazeconstruct? I’d love to get as much info as possible from them on their last sighting of the dwarf
2.does anyone know which story entries cover his last sighting? The body not the hand!
3. Can we narrow down WHERE in the jungle he was seen?

Ironically I trained Maloy to a high combat level, but Arthur has accomplished some legendary stuff on this journey with only competency at using the spear

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: January 09, 2023, 01:11:51 pm »

I played Bor but he was only involved with raising the hand from death. It was stored in Razorbridge but had been separated from the body centuries ago. We did have a discussion on the other parts of Bralbaard before, he died many times. I'll check the wiki.

Edit: have not found much on the location of his main body yet.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 01:28:44 pm by Bralbaard »
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 263