Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 262

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 404738 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum III: Adventure mode succession game.
« Reply #390 on: August 15, 2020, 02:49:43 pm »

I'm not sure yet! Like I said, the necromancy thing was unplanned, so I'm kind of reworking my plan for this adventurer on the fly. We'll have to see what unfolds!

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 15, 2020, 03:27:59 pm »

Sometimes, having no plan is the best plan. Your adventure's been quite good so far, and I can only hope it carries on going well!
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 17, 2020, 03:44:10 pm »

Part 2

20th Obsidian

Orid Zem, the land trapped by mountains on all sides. The one upside to my new condition is the fact that I don’t seem to tire at all, or even require sleep, which makes traversing the mountainous land around Keyconjure scarcely an inconvenience. Not that I think I could even sleep now if I wanted to. Ever since I was cursed by that slab, I seem to hear the whispers of the dead rattling around in my head. It has grown quieter since I left Keyconjure, but I fear for the rest of my journey and my travels to the large cities of the world.

21st Obsidian

I’ve continued moving to the north, circling around the Sea of Blades. From the north flows the Cosmos of Shows, sister river to the Purged Loot, the “River that Feeds the World”. I rest for a moment near where the Cosmos of Shows empties into the Sea of Blades. Although it does not flow through the great civilizations of the world as the Purged Loot does, its river basin sustains the great jungles that cover the land to the northwest of the Sea of Blades.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I continued on, following the Cosmos of Shows to the north. In the distance, I saw a strange structure rising above the treetops, but before I could reach it, I was ambushed by a party of dwarves! They all looked quite worse for the wear, wearing ragged clothes and looking as if they hadn’t eaten in weeks.

Not being much of a fighter, I was wary of fighting so many enemies at once, but they had me surrounded, so I had no choice. However, I had scarcely unsheathed my scimitar when they turned around and ran away! It is almost as if they could smell the scent of death that has been lingering on me since I left the cursed halls of Keyconjure… Or perhaps they were just looking for a more opportune moment to strike, because an hour later, I ran into the same group, and this time a few decided that their hunger outweighed their fear of me. Their malnutrition was their undoing however, as their attacks were feeble, and I quickly struck one down, causing the others to flee in terror. Confused as to why a bandit group of the lost race of dwarves would be wandering the jungle west of the Sea of Blades, far from any of the few surviving dwarven enclaves, I decided to follow the group. They led me back to a cave, where a small group of dwarves were huddled around outside. They seemed wary of me, but one of the macedwarves engaged me in conversation, telling me about the exploits of a dwarven group known as the “Walled Dye”.

The name was familiar, I had heard it before from a traveler who mentioned that dwarves associated with the Walled Dye were beginning to found new fortresses in an attempt to rebuild dwarven civilization. However, neither of us knew anything about “Princetomes”, the fortress that was allegedly resettled by the Walled Dye. The macedwarf explained that he was part of the Mechanisms of Steam, a nomadic group that was part of the Walled Dye.

The dwarves seemed to be very down on their luck, so I left them the rest of my food, and continued on northward. For all the legends I had heard about the dwarves growing up, my first actual encounter with living dwarves was very underwhelming. Dozens of ragged dwarves starving to death in a squalid cave at the foot of the mountains is a far cry from the legends of vast underground cities filled with gold and steel, and the finest treasures known to Orid Xem. Certainly, the treasures I found in Keyconjure were magnificent, but now it is apparent that they are relics of a lost age, when dwarves considered themselves the masters of the world, to the detriment of all Men.

22nd Obsidian

I continued my journey to the north of “Mischiefpit”, as the dwarves call their cave. Only a short distance to the north, I came across a strange structure jutting out of the landscape. Curious, I walked around the lower portion of it until I found an entranceway, where a large conical helmet made out of a strange metal was lying in the dirt.

Through the walls I could hear guttural voices, and I could just barely make out what they were saying…

As I continued up the stairs into the depths of the structure, I suddenly encountered a towering beast, seemingly made of ash.

It immediately attacked me, and I countered, chopping through its ashen foot with ease. However, out of the darkness, a terrifying beast brandishing a mace charged at me, smashing its fist into my shield.

I slashed at the beast, landing a good hit on its chest, while the fallen ash monster continued to throw itself against my shield.

Another quick strike to the lower body, and the ash monster crumbled into dust, allowing me to turn my full attention to the macebeast. Before I could react, it dived in and bit my finger clean off! I knew I had to play this more defensively, so I jumped away, and steadied myself behind my shield. It lunged at me again, and we danced around eachother, narrowly parrying eachother’s blows, neither of us able to gain an advantage over the other. From behind the walls, I could hear more commotion. Surely, more of these beasts would be on their way. I had to either win this fight, or find an opening to disengage. Dodging one of its attacks, I was able to duck through the door, jump off the balcony and land in the lower entranceway. From above, I could hear it yelling out to its companions, somehow fully aware of who I was.

Adrenaline pumping through my veins, I charged back up the stairs, and crept along the wall to the doorway where the beast was standing. It was facing away from me, which allowed me to get a lucky hit in, stabbing it through the chest. I must have hit an artery, because ichor started spraying all over the hallway as it swung his mace towards me.

I blocked the attack, and took the opportunity to strike again, but it dodged away. The beast kept muttering “I feel fine… I feel fine” as it lumbered towards me. I had my back to the wall now, with no easy way to escape, when suddenly, the beast toppled over in a pool of its own ichor, seemingly dead.

Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I quickly got the hell out of there, running northwards, only stopping to bathe the creature’s ichor off of me in a nearby river. Although I survived with only a few bruises and a missing finger, I knew I had gotten lucky, and I had no intention of returning to that cursed place.

(OOC note: Quantum Drop, I have no idea how you managed to do what you did. I barely survived that encounter, and only did because I cheesed it by jumping off the stairs, which lost aggro, then sneaking back up to get that stealth hit. Also, I thought that vault had been cleared, because it was already marked on the map and there was that helmet outside, but it is definitely active. I’ll leave that for someone with better combat skills lol.)

25th Obsidian

It has been a few days since I last wrote in this journal. I have kept trekking to the northwest of the Sea of Blades. Shortly after leaving the unknown structure behind, I came across a shadow creature in the jungle. He attacked me, but I was able to strike him down. I am becoming something of a fighter. However, I’m still not fully comfortable with combat, which is why I decided to pass up on fighting the rocs that the dwarves at Mischiefpit told me about. They live in the mountains north of the Sea of Blades, if any future adventurers would like to try their luck there.

26th Obsidian

Here in the far north of the Cosmos of Shows’ river valley, the land seems to be perpetually shrouded in fog and clouds, making it almost impossible to navigate.

A short way into the tundra, I stumbled across a strange tower shrouded in fog. Curious, I decided to investigate. Upon entering the tower, I was confronted by hundreds of creatures, seemingly the experiments of some deranged individual.

Despite their terrifying visage, they seemed relatively indifferent to me. I suspect that this has to do with the curse that befell me at Keyconjure. These servants of death must sense that beneath my human exterior, I am now one of them, cursed with eternal life at the loss of my humanity. I pushed past the creatures, who were talking amongst themselves, and explored the rest of the tower. It seemed empty, outside a few odds and ends. However, as I was leaving, I heard a noise from above. I moved up the staircase to see a small dwarf shuffling to and fro. I could sense the stench of death upon her; she was like me, cursed with the secrets of life and death. Cautiously, I called out to her, but as I approached, I noticed she was missing her head entirely!

I had heard the creatures below talking about someone known as Th4dwarfy1 Shieldtempests, who had attacked someone known as Cog Wildnesswork at this very tower. Could this be Cog? Missing her head, and yet still alive. Shuffling around her tower, surrounded by her foul experiments… Is this to be my fate? Unable to die, yet also unable to truly live? To go mad after centuries of being alive and lock myself up in some tower in a desolate wasteland, writing books about how much I hate my tower until the world ends? Is this the end result of the quest for knowledge? To know too much and be cursed by it? These thoughts rattle around in my head as I leave the tower and continue my trek northwards. I don’t know, but for the first time since I was cursed in Keyconjure, I feel truly afraid.

(OOC: Writing takes longer than playing. Barring any unfortunate accidents as I make my way to the museum, I'll likely post another update + the save tomorrow, then one more update afterwards. Also, no idea how that necromancer is alive, but it's pretty cool and played into my narrative well enough. It's funny, I tried talking to her, and was getting very confused because the dialogue menu was giving my options like she was responding, but there was no text in the log. Turns out, she's headless.)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 03:53:50 pm by Glloyd »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 17, 2020, 04:28:56 pm »

The game must have forgotten that Cog was supposed to be dead. Haven't seen that happen in a while.

Reminds me of the first museum where that kobold in the basement would always be there, perfectly healthy, no matter how many times we killed her. She never got used to dying. I wonder if it's possible for one to.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 17, 2020, 05:28:33 pm »

Eh, in fairness, I trained myself to something like Legendary+5 in hammerman and ambusher (also legendary in Armour/Dodging/Shield), maxed out my physical stats as much as possible, and waiting until it was the middle of the night before even attempting to get past the front door. Coupled with the size of those guys (IIRC, that has a major impact on attacks) and the fact that Fruit Weapons pretty much mean death if you get hit, I'd suppose you both did well to get that far, and were lucky to get away with just one finger lost.

As for the Necromancer... wasn't there a glitch when a decapitated creature would remain alive so long as the neck was still attached, or something like that? Eh, pretty cool either way, and the writing is excellent. Good luck, and here's hoping you reach the Museum!
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 17, 2020, 05:43:33 pm »

Luckily, it was just the two creatures in the entranceway, and the ash one died pretty quickly. I was only able to take out the warrior by cheesing it and getting a lucky strike on its heart. It did mess up my one arm pretty bad, but it recovered after sleeping, so the only permanent damage was the missing finger. That was enough for me to not want to mess with it. I dumped a bunch of my points into writing skills so even at this point, my combat stats are relatively low.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 18, 2020, 01:38:17 am »

I love how it did the ""I feel fine! I feel fine!" before collapsing.

It's just a flesh wound!

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 18, 2020, 03:56:13 pm »

Part 3 is coming later today, but what in the hell is going on in the north of the Realm of Silver?

One town is surrounded by so many refugees it crashes my game every time I try to load the local map, and another town has this random group (army? bandits? who knows.) that has so many people it takes about 10 seconds per movement turn. They're not hostile, but the group is so big that every time I go to the travel map, it throws me back into the local map. This world is wild.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 03:58:09 pm by Glloyd »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 18, 2020, 04:46:31 pm »

I warned you about that town bro. We don't go to Swordgleamed. In fact it looks like you're in the exact same part of town I was, if you look at the shape of the hills/ramps;

I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 18, 2020, 05:16:07 pm »

It is the exact same spot! I was thinking about your turn while I was going through that area. I had thought the bandit town was Scarletbronze, so I steered clear of it. I'll have to edit that part of my writeup, thanks for pointing that out.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 19, 2020, 09:17:53 pm »

Part 3

28th Obsidian

I continued my trek across the tundra north of the Tower. The weather has only gotten worse, and the thick fog enveloping the land makes it difficult to even distinguish between day and night. Just when I was wondering if I would ever be free of it, I saw a treeline in the distance. As I entered the forest, the fog began to melt away. Finally, I was out of the tundra, and from the treetops, I could see my destination in the distance. Well, destinations. Rising above the rest of the mountain range was the great peaks of the Point of Heroes, and the volcano, the Torch of Courtesies. I intended to climb both these mountains, which are estimated to be two of the tallest peaks in the world (OOC note: 3rd and 4th tallest, to be exact, standing at 276 tiles high each) From the peaks, I intend to document the basin of the Cosmos of Shows, and record my notes on the region for future scholars to impart upon the common man.

To the north of the tundra, I stumbled across another abandoned dwarven fortress. To the east of the entrance lay a few skeletons, half buried by the snow. One of the bodies seemed to have decomposed less than the others. Searching it revealed a backpack that contained a variety of items, including an overly ornate animal trap, and a bismuth bronze short sword of the highest quality:

In the bottom of the backpack was the head of a female dwarf, seemingly unaffected by decomposition despite all evidence indicating that these bodies had been here for years. Could this be the head of Cog the dwarven necromancer? That would make this the body of Th4DwArY1 Shieldtempests… Could he have been cursed in the same way that I am? Either way, whatever killed him must be close, and if it could kill someone with knowledge of the secrets of life and death, it was not something that I wanted to encounter. I grabbed the sword and the animal trap, and left the body of Th4DwArY1 Shieldtempests and the head of Cog behind in the snow. Hopefully Th4DwArY1 Shieldtempests was able to find the peace that evidently has eluded Cog.

Despite my intentions, as I was walking away from the bodies, I heard a noise coming from inside the abandoned fortress. Surely it wouldn’t hurt to take a peek? And I am glad I did, for when I ducked inside the towering entranceway to the fortress, I found one of Cog’s deranged experiments, shuffling about. As I approached it, it looked up at me and spoke out, greeting me, and telling me its name was Ishes Sebidola. The creature seemed lost and scared, so I took pity on it, and asked it to join me on my journey. It eagerly accepted my offer, and fell in line behind me.

His presence here makes me wonder at Cog’s role in all of this. Could Cog be the reason that this fortress now lies abandoned? Perhaps, after trying to kill Cog, Th4DwArY1 Shieldtempests fled to the north, and was eventually tracked down by Cog’s minions. The true answers to all of these questions are likely lost to time, but perhaps some answers may lie in the depths of this fortress, which Ishes informs me is called “Palacework.” However, if they are there, I was not able to find them. Indeed, besides Ishes and some reanimated animal corpses (the work of Cog, I assume) Palacework seems largely void of both treasures and inhabitants; another dead hall of the dead race of the dwarves. I did take some copies of some unknown books along with me from the library, in addition to some writing equipment, to supplement the quires I bought at the start of my journey. Upon Ishes’ insistence that Palacework was in fact haunted, we left in somewhat of a hurry, leaving behind the many steel weapons in the armoury below.

29th Obsidian

Our journey continued to the west of Palacework. On our way to begin our ascent into the mountains, we found a medium-sized obsidian building in a clearing at the foot of the mountain range. To my surprise, we also found some humans and goblins milling around the outside of the building. They seemed friendly enough, despite my choice of companion, so we approached, and asked a human maceman about this strange site. After some brief questioning, he revealed that this site is called “Championvault” and is ruled by a group called “the Urns of Joining”, a dwarven group associated with the Walled Dye, the group that I had run into at the cave of Mischiefpit. This site seemed to be a far cry from that squalid cave, so I decided to investigate. What initially appeared to be one building was in fact two, the building to the west being slightly larger than the other.

Inside Championvault is rather underwhelming. Contrary to the legends of underground cities paved with gold, Championvault seems to me to be a more settled version of Mischiefpit. Perhaps that is a bit too harsh. It’s more of an underground hamlet. Having to walk through a pile of corpses to get in the main entrance certainly did not endear me to this place.

On the first level are the farms, and some associated workshops. The second level has more workshops, storage, and the saddest excuse for a library I have ever seen. No books at all! Hardly deserving of being called a library. The levels below that contain the sleeping areas, along with numerous dead end hallways, unfinished rooms, and mining areas. If Championvault is truly a new settlement of the Walled Dye, it seems that the golden age of the dwarves is long behind them. If this is to be their future, hiding in dank caves until the end of time, one can’t help but feel sorry for them. However, perhaps the dwarves are not entirely to blame for the sorry state of Championvault. Indeed, I only saw a handful of dwarves in my time there. Most of the population seems to be comprised of goblins, and humans secondly. Quite strange indeed.

1st Granite, 727

After camping out near Championvault, we headed into the mountains. It may technically be spring, but here in the mountains it feels like the dead of winter. The snow is waist high in many places, and we are buffeted by the endless gales that lash snow across our faces. Even though I no longer truly feel temperature anymore, it is a thoroughly unpleasant experience. Ishes seems unbothered by it all however, and is the picture of a perfect travelling companion. She frequently fills me in on all sorts of current events. How she knows them, being stuck deep underground in Palacework is anyone’s guess. Having her along reminds me of Iral, and her untimely death. I can’t help but think how callous I was regarding her death. She may have wished for a glorious death, but no one deserves to die like that, ripped apart by a pack of dingoes in a desert far from home. In truth, I missed having a companion with me.

We stopped for the night, resting against a boulder. Ishes prepared a small campfire, and we relaxed and watched the stars. It was clear for the first time in a while, and we could see the full moon rising in the eastern sky. Another upside of not requiring sleep is that it allows me to appreciate the beauty of the cosmos so much more than before. For the first time since leaving Keyconjure, the voices of the dead are truly silent, and I can almost forget about the curse. All it took was walking off the edge of the world, into the great unknown, climbing peaks that no man, dwarf, or beast has ever climbed. Tomorrow, we continue.

2nd Granite

In the morning, the weather had returned to its previous state, and the tranquility of the previous night was replaced by a heavy snowfall.

The heavy cloud cover made it difficult to orient ourselves, and it took us a while to realize that we had been going the wrong way. While we had intended to climb the Point of Heroes first, before looping down to the Torch of Courtesies, we had somehow found ourselves to the south of the Torch of Courtesies. Once we had realized our mistake, we corrected course, and after descending into a river valley, we found ourselves at the base of the Torch of Courtesies. Above us was the most difficult climb yet, an almost vertical cliff. Although I was a competent climber, aided by my seemingly endless reserves of stamina, I found myself envious of Ishes’ wings. Wings or no wings, we reached the top in good time, right as the clouds began the clear.

Up here, the stench of sulfur was strong, and thick black smoke choked the air. I could hear the magma pool hissing and popping below. Despite our achievement, we took little time to revel in it, and quickly moved on, pushing northwards towards the Point of Heroes. Moving downwards, I passed the body of an owl Ishes had killed earlier. Somehow we had walked right by the Torch of Courtesies while enveloped in fog.

With the snow no longer falling, and the sun out, we made great time, and later that afternoon, we found ourselves cresting the summit of the Point of Heroes.

I pulled myself up the last ledge, Ishes flying behind, and was greeted by one of the most magnificent sights I have seen in my life. Looking south from the summit I could see the tundra below, and the top of Cog’s tower, barely visible in the dense fog that still hung over the area. Beyond that was the Cosmos of Shows and the surrounding jungle, the dense tree cover obscuring the places I had visited on my journey here: Mischiefpits, the unknown structure where I lost my finger, and of course, Keyconjure. And at the end of it all was the Sea of Blades, stretching off into the horizon. Somewhere near the east shore was my old home of Strifefularmor. Although it has scarcely been a month since I first set out on this journey, it feels as though a lifetime has passed. And, in some ways, it has. Even if I had wanted to return to my old life, a humble city doctor with a passion for enlightening the common man, I would not be able to. Even my old goal of travelling the world and sharing the knowledge of my journey with the masses seems insignificant now. The thoughts from before danced around in my head. Is it the fate of the searcher of knowledge to end up as I have? Or as Cog has? To lose your humanity and live out the rest of your days watching the world die around you?

And yet… Sitting at the top of the Point of Heroes, reflecting on the journey that has led me to this point, I feel free. More free than I have ever felt, even before I was cursed at Keyconjure. Perhaps I am not doomed to end up like Cog, trapped alone in a tower, waiting out the end of the world by toying with the lives of others; innocent beings like Ishes. There are many like Ishes who are just looking for someone to help them find a new life. There are many like Iral, who are just looking for adventure, to explore the farthest corners of the world. And there are many like my old self, looking to learn about this world and share that knowledge with others. All of these people deserve their chance at life. The world is not over because I have been cursed, and the Ishes, Irals, and Glloyds of the world will need all the help they can get if they are to make it, and to avoid my mistakes.

After taking some time to rest and draw the landscape before me, I set off with renewed vigor. First, back to the Realm of Silver. From there, I would head across the tundra into the north, following the path of the Purged Loot to the lands where goblins and humans waged constant war with eachother.

6th Granite

We made good time heading down from the mountains, and before we knew it, we were standing by the banks of the Purged Loot, where the great river meets the Sea of Blades. Looking south, we could see the Teeth of Defense rising above the horizon. Located a short distance to the northwest of my old home of Strifefularmor, the Teeth of Defense was the first mountain I had ever climbed, when I was a young man. The view from above looks out over the Realm of Silver and the Sea of Blades, as the mountain stands alone on the lowlands that surround the Sea of Blades.

7th Granite

Following the Purged Loot north, we encountered another shadow creature, who ran out from a nearby hillock brandishing a copper carving fork, and attacked us with vigor.

Between Ishes and I, it didn’t stand much of a chance, and before long, the fight was over.

8th Granite

While passing through a seemingly abandoned hamlet along the banks of the Purged Loot, we were attacked by bandits. Even before the Great Plague, the north of the Realm of Silver has been infested by bandit groups. With the depopulation of towns following the plagues of the last two decades, the bandits seem to be the only ones left.

Despite outnumbering us, we were able to take them out with relative ease, although Ishes is certainly worse for the wear.

The leader of the bandits had a steel helm sized for humans, a rare prize indeed. I left my damaged copper helm lying in the field with the bodies of the bandits, and we continued on our way.

9th Granite

We stopped briefly in the great trading city of Scarletbronze, itself an interesting enigma. Its position near the edge of the tundra makes it one of the first stops for anyone entering or leaving the Realm of Silver. However, it is dominated criminal organizations, all trying to get a piece of the trade that flows through here.

To the east of Scarletbronze is another great city of the Realm of Silver, Streammartyred. Streammartyred is dominated by the leather industry, but in recent years the explosion of the cat population has created a lot of issues, especially for the local birds. However, as we approached, we noticed that the city was surrounded by tents. At first, I thought Streammartyred to be under siege by some unknown army. However, once entering one of the camps, we found that they were in fact refugee encampments, filled to the brim with outcasts from all walks of life.

(OOC note: To anyone wanting to check out these camps in a future game, be warned that trying to (d) stop at or near some of them, or walk into them from the local map would immediately crash my game. Upon looking at legends viewer, and taking a walk through the town, I think that the entire population of this [very large] city might be camping outside of it for some reason.)

The refugees seemed friendly enough, but none of them would tell us where they came from and why. Due to the relative peace of the Realm of Silver, I believe that many of them may have fled from the north, where massive goblin armies are a constant threat to any settlement. Regardless, we continued onwards, following the course of the Purged Loot. Along our way, we encountered two more shadow creatures, which we were able to beat with little trouble, although one did get a good cut in on my hand, leaving me with a nasty scar. Perhaps I should invest in gauntlets one of these days.

10th Granite

Approaching the tundra, we passed the town of Swordgleamed. Little more than a castle with a market, Swordgleamed is ruled by a large group of bandits. Merchants coming to the Realm of Silver know to stick to the west bank of the Purged Loot, as the east bank is dominated by bandits, especially in the area around Swordgleamed. Indeed, even passing through the outskirts of Swordgleamed brought us into contact with a large bandit group.

They didn’t seem to be immediately hostile, which allowed us to get out of there, but I would not recommend any future travelers pass through Swordgleamed. (OOC note: Not least because the FPS on the local map is unplayable)

19th Granite

After passing by Swordgleamed, we followed the Purged Loot north into the tundra. Like the tundra in the north of the Cosmos of Shows river basin, the tundra along the path of the Purged Loot was covered in a thick blanket of fog. It has been a month since I was cursed in the halls of Keyconjure, and yet, since I left the Point of Heroes, time has seemed to fly by. The weight on my shoulders has been lifted, and I even find myself joking and laughing with Ishes as we pass through the tundra, despite the bleak weather. For now, things are looking up.

(OOC: I'll post the save later tonight, and probably post part 4 tomorrow. I obviously don't have time for a fortress, but I did have time to put something together with my adventurer, which you'll see in part 4)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 09:42:13 pm by Glloyd »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 20, 2020, 03:34:35 pm »

I think those refugees have been hanging around since before my turn, even. I remember some of those large, abandoned cities, and I specifically remember the bridge in Streammartyred.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 20, 2020, 10:53:48 pm »

23rd Granite

Our journey across the tundra was largely uneventful, outside of three night creature encounters. The first did cause a bit of trouble, breaking one of my fingers and cutting my head open with a carving knife. While I was down, the creature managed to bite off Ishes’ hand. However, we were able to take care of it, and the other two night creatures fell without any issue. As we moved out of the tundra, we crossed the Purged Loot in order to avoid the goblin pits that lie along much of the path of the Purged Loot in this part of the world.

Of course, in this part of the world it is almost impossible to avoid being attacked by goblins.

Ishes and I were able to deal with these frequent goblin attacks, but not without suffering some minor injuries. Both of us now have more scars than we’d care to mention, although Ishes has certainly taken the worst of it.

25th Granite

The legacy of the goblin expansion is clearly evident here, and the difference between the Realm of Silver (spared goblin attacks by the buffer of tundra between north and south) and the human lands in the river basin of the Purged Loot are night and day. While the Realm of Silver is full of bustling villages and sprawling metropolises, these lands are full of abandoned or destroyed villages, monuments to the destruction wrought by the goblins, and in times long since passed, the dwarves. Even the cities in this area are dead husks of their former selves. Long abandoned marketplaces are surrounded by shattered remnants of old buildings, setting a grim tone for our journeys.

In the ruins of one of one of these abandoned cities, I found an old book called Against the City. Despite the uninspiring prose, I decided to take it along with me. Our first destination on this journey is the town of Divedact, home to one of the few great libraries of the world. There, I intend to take some time to read and reflect upon my travels, and my next steps. I have also amassed quite a collection of books on my journey, so perhaps Divedact would be a good place to donate them, in order to pass their knowledge along to others like me.

27th Granite

We were attacked by a grizzly bear today, and after defeating the beast, we decided to rest for a while at a nearby structure we saw on the edge of the forest. To our surprise, there were two other humans resting there as well. They gave their names as Amsir Phrasejoked and Slenshi Saviormutes,

Apparantly, they had come here from the Realm of Silver as well just over two decades ago, accompanying a human by the name of Doñas Silenttowers the Ominous Hoary Zenith. Apparantly, Doñas had also explored Keyconjure. It had seemed as if someone else had been there before me, although there was still plenty of treasure left in the ruins. Regardless, Doñas had also travelled across the tundra, seeking a place called Boltspumpkin. As Amsir and Slenshi informed me, Boltspumpkin is a museum run by a goblin named Ngokang, that has been soliciting donations from adventurers for the last 25 years or so. However, Donas never reached Boltspumpkin. He died at the shrine here while fighting a titan. Although he managed to kill the titan, he bled out shortly afterwards. Amsir and Slenshi continued his journey to Boltspumpkin, and settled in a town nearby, where they soon got married. Every now and again, they return to the shrine to pray and commemorate the death of Doñas, and I was lucky enough to run into them on one of those occasions.

We spent a short time resting at the shrine with Amsir and Slenshi. They have agreed to take us to Boltspumpkin, so we will set out in the morning. Some of Doñas’s items remained at the shrine, and Amsir and Slenshi did not object to me taking them. These included another book to add to my collection, and also a rather ornate bone bracelet and a fancy opal earring, which I decided to wear.

Although I had planned to head to Divedact, I believe Boltspumpkin might be what I’ve been looking for. I can donate my books there, and set up a camp nearby as a refuge for the adventurers that frequently pass through Boltspumpkin. I’m sure many adventurers who were seeking Boltspumpkin have met the fate of Doñas, dying in the wilderness with only their travelling companions to remember them by. If I truly want to help the wayward adventurers of this world, that seems like the place to go.

Intermission:

A bump outside startled the goblin monk out of his slumber. Suddenly, the door burst open, and in stormed a young human adventurer wearing mismatched armour and sporting numerous scars across his face and arms. Flying behind his right shoulder was some sort of malformed creature that appeared to be covered in scars and missing one of its hands. Behind the adventurer were two elderly, heavily armed humans that looked vaguely familiar. The goblin monk sighed and stood up. “Welcome to Boltspumpkin, may Uquud the Bones of Drool watch over you. I’m assuming you’re here to donate something to our lovely museum?” Despite the odd group that stood before him, this was just another day at Boltspumpkin.

1st Slate

We reached the museum in good time, and met with the goblins that live there. They showed us around, and seemed interested in some of the books and artifacts I had with me. However, I decided not to donate anything right away. While travelling with Amsir and Slenshi, I told them about my plan to establish a camp near Boltspumpkin, and they agreed to help. Although their adventuring days were long behind them, they agreed that if future adventurers had a place where they could prepare properly for their museum-related expeditions, they might be able to avoid the tragic fate of Doñas and others like him. We found a good spot down the hill from Boltspumpkin by a small stream, and set up camp there for the night. Tomorrow, we begin construction of what I’ve decided to call “The Shelter of Adventures”.

7th Hematite

It has been a long time since I last wrote in this journal. The past few months just seemed to fly by. We have made great progress on the Shelter of Adventures, and I think I’m prepared to call it complete.

More a fort than a camp, the Shelter of Adventures boasts a full tavern/inn, along with a number of cabins for adventurers to settle in. Amsir and Slenshi have already claimed one of the larger ones, and I’ve settled into a larger house we just finished building, while Ishes has decided to tend the bar. The Shelter of Adventures also has an armoury/warehouse, which is stocked full of gear to help any budding adventurer, be they dwarf or human. It also contains a number of gems that I picked up on my journey, to allow for adventurers to buy supplies wherever they may go. I’m quite proud of what we’ve accomplished. It has felt good working with my hands to create something like this, and I’ve become something of a talented carpenter during these last few months.

I’ve also taken the time to write a number of books myself, with the blank quires that I carried along with me on my journeys. Indeed, I wrote about all sorts of topics, ranging from my own journey:

to the history of Orid Xem:

And even a full 7 chapter book on the founding of the Shelter of Adventures, and its purpose in this world:

I plan to remain here at the Shelter, to help any adventurers passing through get a leg up in their journey. However, this shall be my last entry. I have decided to finally make my contribution to the museum, in the form of this journal, and a backpack containing my entire personal library, including the books that I wrote myself.

I have also included my journal in my donation to the museum. I hope that it serves future adventurers well. For posterity, I have included a rough map tracing the path of my journey.

I’ve come a long way during my journeys, but as I sit in the tavern writing this entry, I can’t help but to look forward to what the future may hold for me. After some well-deserved rest of course.

OOC: Sorry about the short delay on this. My official donation to the museum is my collection of books, which includes: 7 legendary books, 13 copies of legendary books, 20 books written by me, and 1 malachite bound codex that contains an untitled legendary letter.
My “unofficial” donation to the museum is the Shelter of Adventures, which is intended to be a starting or stopping point for any future museum adventurers. It’s located on the same world map tile as Boltspumpkin, a little bit to the right of it on the adventurer travel map, to the left of the road there. You’ll see it if you are heading to Boltspumpkin. The warehouse (shown in the bottom left of the images) is full of all sorts of gear that would be useful to an adventurer, even if it is just to be sold. All I ask is that if you take something, try to restock the Shelter with any leftovers that you have at the end of your adventure, if you survive. Good luck out there!

Edit: I realized I deleted the old message when I first updated this. Not sure what was in it, but for future reference the save is here: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15180
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 04:56:50 pm by Glloyd »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 21, 2020, 02:04:08 pm »

I'll download it tonight. Just checked, didn't realize it was my turn next
I make Spellcrafts!

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 21, 2020, 02:33:24 pm »

Good to know you've picked it up. I will be offline for most of next week, I'll update whatever needs updating when I return. 
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 262