Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 49

Author Topic: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame - Kaiju Warning  (Read 79065 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SHADOW EMPIRE: Sci-fi 4x wargame on a procedurally generated world
« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2020, 05:47:05 am »

Just picked this up, but I'm curious; how on earth are you meant to get a non-toxic atmosphere?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 13, 2020, 11:06:04 am »

Just picked this up, but I'm curious; how on earth are you meant to get a non-toxic atmosphere?

Depends on the planet type and rolling. I believe some will always have a toxic atmosphere.
a planet's size also affects it, because if the gravity is low it won't have enough pull to keep an atmosphere. Larger planets will have higher gravity.

Gen yourself a siwa class and roll a few times on the step that talks about the atmosphere and vegetation.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2020, 01:46:17 pm »

Yeah, planet size truly matters, in that anything less than the largest option is likely to be too small to approximate old terra.

I wish there were different presets for the world conflict, so it could be more man vs nature than factions versus factions, if you lived on a planet of monsters. That would make an interesting co-op between human players.  If we get naval stuff, just imagine playing on a water world with huge Lovecraftian sea monsters that can eat entire installations.

I'd like to see more victory options too, such as building a quantum transreceiver thingy to summon the Shadow on the planet or building a warp ship to recontact the rest of the galaxy. Then other players could nuke your building site before you are finished, just because they are dicks like that.

Largest size is also important, plus generating a small colonization population.  You can also see how many zones were colonized and compare to total zones that was given in an earlier step of planet generation.  It's all about just rerolling for each stage until you get what you want.  Go Hydra if you want more monsters, otherwise you're more likely to be fighting Free Folk Marauders.  Cerberus also seems to produce rock monsters.  Hopefully, the planet generation will someday allow more fixing of settings so its less reroll based.

Frankly, most worlds my people have been trapped on are so horrible that just building a warp ship and leaving would be truer victory than conquering the hellscape.  Most generated worlds aren't worth fighting over from a terran survival standpoint, except for the fact you're trapped there and can't leave.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2020, 02:28:46 pm »

Anyone know what conditions are most likely to produce non-greenscale plantlife, or are the e.g. pale fuchsia forests, etc. just a really rare but totally random occurrence?

Also, is anyone having trouble updating from 1.02 to 1.03 from the launcher?

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 13, 2020, 02:37:41 pm »

Highest pop world I've seen

https://i.imgur.com/hlJVqIi.jpg

Thats insane. And its pretty much a perfect Siwa too, though alien biology farming is no good at all but not a big deal for that since outside farming is perfect.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 13, 2020, 02:44:01 pm »

Wow. Is it pretty much solid city?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 13, 2020, 02:53:54 pm »

Fun fact: People can't live on eating Moss.  Planet plant development level must be over 1 in order for alien plant life to be edible.

Highest pop world I've seen

https://i.imgur.com/hlJVqIi.jpg

Thats insane. And its pretty much a perfect Siwa too, though alien biology farming is no good at all but not a big deal for that since outside farming is perfect.

Wow, and they only inhabit 22 zones.  My 20 million worlds inhabit similar numbers.  We're talking Megalopoli here.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 13, 2020, 02:54:42 pm »

Wow. Is it pretty much solid city?

Sadly no, that was what I was kinda aiming for though. Where I started its pretty empty. But the planet is one of the bigger ones. There'll however certainly be somewhere or multiple locations with tons and tons of ruins to explore.

(edit: Well this is a big ruin. Just discovered it and probably a lot more of it to discover. But already its one of the biggest ruins I've seen.

https://i.imgur.com/GzaghkW.png

Also got dinosaurs roaming around, 3 meters high so not biggest I've seen but lots of independents and pretty big independent armies.

(edit 2:
Even bigger

https://i.imgur.com/7yUNn46.png

This is gonna be an awesome game as it continues on. Never had a world with so many people and such a big metropolis in ruins.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 03:30:09 pm by Trolldefender99 »

sunrakhan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 13, 2020, 03:41:09 pm »

Those massive ruins... I'm in awe.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 13, 2020, 04:23:30 pm »

Hmm... do you think you could post the "last planet generated" save for that? I think I might be interested in flubbing about a bit on it, even if it means I'm that much more unlikely to ever get past the early game any time soon...

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 13, 2020, 04:29:56 pm »

Hmm... do you think you could post the "last planet generated" save for that? I think I might be interested in flubbing about a bit on it, even if it means I'm that much more unlikely to ever get past the early game any time soon...

Sure might as well, I posted it on the official forums too for shadow empires. Keep in mind, sadly didn't realize you can't customize planet options after generating a planet. I kinda like playing on Epic speed, but for those who rather have faster time it sadly can't be changed. It isn't really a seed like I thought it would be, but it generates a save after planet is already generated.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KOGx8WcVPHQ2aeX1KEhDkTgTwfPR22gE/view?usp=sharing

Just move to save folder wherever game is installed

Also keep in mind its quite intense. Lots of rebels/independents and animals roaming around.

Interestingly. The independents actually don't seem to fight the animals but combine armies together. There is an independent army toward the east in my game which also has this lizard thing in the army stack.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 13, 2020, 05:27:43 pm »

I set the download link to public, didn't realize it was set to semi-private by default.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 13, 2020, 07:15:57 pm »

Free folk marauders are ignored by animals. You can roleplay this as supreme wilderness skills, but it is likely just a coding limitation where they share a faction. Some independent small states can have a special quality where they can actually control alien beasts as troops.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 14, 2020, 01:28:52 pm »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KOGx8WcVPHQ2aeX1KEhDkTgTwfPR22gE/view?usp=sharing
Do you remember what the difficulty and speed settings are on this one?

Epic/beginner.

If I was to do it over I'd have done slower/normal speed, but didn't realize couldnt re-do it since dont think too many like playing on epic or maybe there is.

Beginner is just cause I'm a noob :P Its still a super hard game. The AI seems rather good or maybe its cause I suck lol. I lost my first game of the metropolis planet because couldnt defend my supply lines. So as I was trying to lay siege to a nearby city, animals kept blocking the supply route. Its actually a pretty hard map that got generated.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 49