Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 49

Author Topic: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame - Kaiju Warning  (Read 79092 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame: Steam Release!
« Reply #525 on: December 07, 2021, 09:09:06 pm »

Ooh, purple planet!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: December 09, 2021, 10:49:29 am »

I may have asked this before, but what the hell am I supposed to imagine as a 'blather analogue'? A long-winded substance-free speech made flesh?

Also, anyone knows how best to reliably push into high meritocracy? As I play, I inevitably end up with high democracy, due to all those unrest events and cults and whatnot random shit.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: December 09, 2021, 01:05:41 pm »

I may have asked this before, but what the hell am I supposed to imagine as a 'blather analogue'? A long-winded substance-free speech made flesh?

Also, anyone knows how best to reliably push into high meritocracy? As I play, I inevitably end up with high democracy, due to all those unrest events and cults and whatnot random shit.
I can only assume it means a creature akin to the owl guy from Animal Crossing.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And yes, some profiles seem harder to raise than others. At least a lot of the Democracy giving events also have a Meritocracy option, though if you want to go that route, you probably really need to to dedicate yourself- i.e. oppress all the cults that have an unfavorable profile, and never ever take an option that gives points to the other profiles. I believe stratagems you get from scrap points usually (always?) raise a profile as one of their effects, so you can make those and only play the ones with the desired profile effects.

I haven't really figured this out yet, but it seems like it's possible to manage your factions in such a way to get desired profile effects- e.g. keeping a weak faction with incompatible ethics around just so you can refuse their demands, which is one of the better ways to get negative profile points. Getting negative points in the undesired profiles is much more efficient that just trying to boost your desired one all the time.

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: December 09, 2021, 01:17:51 pm »

I can only assume it means a creature akin to the owl guy from Animal Crossing.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ain't that one a given name, though? It'd be like 'this 23m top predator resembles a Timmy analogue'.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: December 09, 2021, 02:20:26 pm »

Some of the names actually point to what they are. They're functionally living bags or balls. I'm not sure if they're supposed to be called bladder analogues, or what, but these are presumably roughly sacks of organs with mouths, limbs, tentacles, whatever. In Bay12 terms, they're like Stumpy-Wumples. If you're played No Man's Sky, they'd be like the random pineapples-with-spider-eyes beasties and other such bouncy critters you sometimes encounter.

[Edit: okay, just as a sanity check (heh) I loaded up No More Stumpy-Wumples for the first time in probably 15y, and Stumpy-Wumples are more humanoid than I remembered. So it's not as good of a parallel as I thought. The NMS one holds pretty well, though:

I believe stratagems you get from scrap points usually (always?) raise a profile as one of their effects, so you can make those and only play the ones with the desired profile effects.

Usually. Scrap buildings always raise a profile, but scrap leaders may or may not raise a profile - they're either characterized by a profile they raise, or by one of their personality traits. However, the leaders seem to get some profiles more than others, and meritocracy & autocracy seem to be favorites for them.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 02:46:31 pm by E. Albright »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: December 09, 2021, 02:54:40 pm »

Wait, what's a scrap point/building/leader?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: December 09, 2021, 03:09:18 pm »

Strategum recycling, introduced in 1.07.02. Every card you ditch gives a certain number of points that you can use to craft random cards - either private city assets (w/bonus profile points) or leaders of fixed levels (which may or may not have bonus profile points).

For example:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 03:12:26 pm by E. Albright »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: December 09, 2021, 03:10:56 pm »

Well I never. Time to do some cleaning.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: December 09, 2021, 03:14:30 pm »

If you don't do cleaning manually, when you hit your card limit the game will clean for you, so if you're in an ongoing game you may already have a whole lot of scrap points. It's better to scrap yourself b/c the engine doesn't always seem to have your best interests at heart when picking what needs to go...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: December 09, 2021, 03:25:05 pm »

Didn't realise there's a card limit either. Although I do remember missing some cards on occasion. Thought it had something to do with no longer meeting the profile requirements or something.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: December 11, 2021, 10:20:44 am »

Ugh, I feel like I've forgotten a bunch about the nuts and bolts of logistics in my time away from this game. Anyone wants to take a stab at telling me why all these fuckers are having supply issues? I've been gradually expanding the troop roster, and it looks like at some point they've become too much to handle for some reason. But they're all supplied pretty much directly from the home base, or from the short roads that still have logistics points on them. So why the shortages?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/121XOyV9BtrF1zrBjOahAipCaS86Fozhr/view?usp=sharing

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: December 11, 2021, 10:58:26 am »

Ugh, I feel like I've forgotten a bunch about the nuts and bolts of logistics in my time away from this game. Anyone wants to take a stab at telling me why all these fuckers are having supply issues? I've been gradually expanding the troop roster, and it looks like at some point they've become too much to handle for some reason. But they're all supplied pretty much directly from the home base, or from the short roads that still have logistics points on them. So why the shortages?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/121XOyV9BtrF1zrBjOahAipCaS86Fozhr/view?usp=sharing

Well you've got a food shortage, for one. Did you know you have a food shortage? Looking at your SHQ supply detail, your units requested 604 items (which would be mostly food, I assume), and only 217 food was actually delivered (your entire stock of food the previous turn). Now, readiness is still pretty good and only a few of the militia are starving, so they're all just requesting 2 or 3 times what they eat in a turn to replenish their reserves and then showing a red dot when they don't get that.

Some units are also reporting insufficient logistic points, and yeah, I'm not sure why we aren't seeing bottlenecks. Possibly the fact that there is so much off-road delivery messes up the display. It looks like you nationalized the truck station recently, and so even with the worker shortages you'll see a 66% increase in logistics points on the turn following the save which should clear up that problem.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: December 11, 2021, 11:05:11 am »

Ah, right. I kinda suspected the starvation had something to do with not having enough stock at the end of the turn. Somehow I went along with assuming it's fine until the stocks hit zero. Thanks.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: December 11, 2021, 11:12:47 am »

Ah, right. I kinda suspected the starvation had something to do with not having enough stock at the end of the turn. Somehow I went along with assuming it's fine until the stocks hit zero. Thanks.
Yeah, food (and everything else) is first sent out from the SHQ, and only after does it collect the new production from zones. But, zones can also supply their own constructions from the current turn's production- so there might be some cases where you build a building without enough metal in the SHQ, but because the zone is producing the metal you still get 100% construction for the turn.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: December 11, 2021, 10:51:18 pm »

Gotta love the procedural fluff in this game. This latest world is infested with carnivorous cows and gigantic migratory beavers. They hunger.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 49