Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 49

Author Topic: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame - Kaiju Warning  (Read 79087 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame - Kaiju Warning
« Reply #675 on: December 10, 2022, 05:49:29 pm »

Just a stronger Beam Gun. 600mm equivalent vs. 300mm. Higher firepower & energy consumption than Beam Guns, lower on both counts than big plasma guns. Mostly exist for rock-paper-scissors with different armor types, but if you can afford to use plasma, that'll mostly push through the other armors despite penalties just b/c of how much higher its firepower is.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: December 10, 2022, 05:52:59 pm »

Yeah, the rock-paper-scissors approach in this game is questionable, given how much stronger each new tech is.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: January 07, 2023, 08:46:49 pm »

Anyone have any experience moving this game to a new laptop?
Wish I had a steam version.  This is kinda why I prefer to buy all my games on Steam...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: January 07, 2023, 09:19:23 pm »

What do you mean by moving it? Just download and install another copy.

Also, have you bought this from the Matrix website? There should be a Steam activation key with the purchase.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: January 07, 2023, 10:25:00 pm »

What IP said. In fact, when I moved to a new computer in November, I'm 90% sure I just copied it over and it worked, although shortly afterwards I did do a full re-install (b/c I got into the DLC beta and I couldn't install THAT w/o doing a clean install, but that's another story). If you want to keep things clean, Matrix should be fine with re-installing it, or you could just use your Steam key.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: March 30, 2023, 07:05:52 pm »

The Oceania DLC released today, and if anyone was thinking about getting the base game, it's on sale for -45% for the next week as well. The DLC release also saw a fair number of iterative base-game improvements all over the place.

The official DLC feature list is as follows:
  • Gaia Planet Class now available
  • Thalassa Planet Class now available
  • Proteus Planet Class now available
  • Fontus Planet Class now available
  • Maritime Trade House (MTH) mechanics
  • MTH Stock-trading, Policy Meetings, Dividends & Auctions
  • MTH Transport, Explore and Makeshift Port Contracts
  • MTH Naval warfare for sea supremacy
  • Naval logistical points allow amphibious invasions and transfers
  • Note that the player does not control any naval units and all maritime action is simulated through the MTHs

Left unmentioned in the formal press release are:
  • Artica Planet Class now available
  • Tethys Planet Class now available
  • Hydroid Planet Class now available
  • Minor & Indy pirates and marauders
  • SEA CRITTERS
Spoiler: SEA CRITTERS!!! (click to show/hide)

To break down those new planet types:

Gaia Planet: Earth-like in terms of geography and atmosphere/biosphere. Pangaea-type situations aren't uncommon, but the results can be varied. 55-75% ocean, maybe?
Thalassa Planet: SO much water. Archipelagos and small islands abound. Few proper continents. 80%+ ocean.
Proteus Planet: Fairly dry and frankly weird planets. Super-continents abound, and there's little rain despite the oceans. 30-50% ocean.
Fontus Planet: Something b/tw Thalassa and Proteus. Wet with lots of rain and almost always has life. 50-75% ocean, maybe?
Artica Planet: Gaia, but COLD. There's almost certainly going to be ice caps which will probably span the globe, so land bridges are more-or-less assured.
Tethys Planet: Warm with fragmented tectonics. These are a mess. Land and water are balanced, but landmasses will be small.
Hydroid Planet(oid): So you wanted a planetoid, but with atmosphere and life? Here ya go. These will be 3by or younger.

Unclassified Planets: These can use DLC features. They may or may not have proper oceans, though, and if they don't, you'll not see much. They may also start w/o MTHs.

MTHs are, as Il Palazzo guessed when the DLC was announced, very Dune-Navigator's-Guild-esque, albeit without a monopoly (although if they're aggressive enough, they may try to change that). The individual personality and capability of MTHs vary a bit; they can change a bit if their leadership changes, but there's also things that'll remain the same. They're all greedy and mercantile, though. Commercial profiles are easier to maintain in the DLC than normal, and MTHs help keep material supplies in the market more stable than they otherwise might be.

Sea critters and marauders will be the bane of your REMFs' existence. The only preemptive measure you can take is getting on the good side of the MTH who rules your coastal ocean; otherwise, you just need to keep some troops back along your coasts to discourage critters and/or repel invaders. This goes double if you're at war with majors.

Anyway, while I could go on, that's probably enough rambling. I was in the closed beta, so I'm already fairly familiar with the features and can answer any specific questions people might have...  :)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 30, 2023, 09:47:16 pm »

What's a REMF?

Also note: You save a buck off the DLC if you already own the base game.  While not much, it's a nice thought.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: March 30, 2023, 10:09:15 pm »

It refers to those noble souls assigned to your rear echelon.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: March 30, 2023, 10:22:56 pm »

Note that in addition to the DLC there was a fairly substantial 1.2 update to the game, largely focused on making the AI better and faster but also making some changes on the margins. Also fleshes out the trader system under the hood (now "Land Traders") to function more organically.

Perhaps most importantly, the manual has been updated (!) to 1.2. This is one of those games where the manual is actually a good reference, so getting a proper update there is nice.

• SEA CRITTERS
Spoiler: SEA CRITTERS!!! (click to show/hide)

So given the REMF reference, sea critters will wander onto land to cause issues?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: March 30, 2023, 10:38:43 pm »

Not the aquatic ones, but the "amphibic" & "semi-amphibic" ones do. Aquatic ones mostly just float around being vaguely menacing and if you don't have good recon, making you wonder if they're actually amphibians. That may change at a later date to make them interfere with shipping or suchlike.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 11:10:35 pm by E. Albright »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: March 31, 2023, 07:18:06 am »

Here's a (kinda-sorta-not-necessarily-representative) example of each of the above planet classes. Just generating these examples really reinforced how overly narrow the ocean percentage ranges I estimated above were.

Spoiler: Gaia, 65% Ocean (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Artica, 58% Ocean (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Proteus, 35% Ocean (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fontus, 67% Ocean (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Thalassa, 83% Ocean (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tethys, 72% Ocean (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Hydroid, 58% Ocean (click to show/hide)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 31, 2023, 09:06:01 pm »

What's up with your Artica world?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: April 01, 2023, 02:24:55 am »

If you mean all the white on the map, that's the permanent, traversable ice shelf.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: April 01, 2023, 01:51:52 pm »

The color gradients and shading make it look like the brown ocean is actually some sort of massive dirt mesa or Rimworld-esque mountainous area. Took me a while to convince myself it was an ocean.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: April 01, 2023, 04:10:48 pm »

The color gradients and shading make it look like the brown ocean is actually some sort of massive dirt mesa or Rimworld-esque mountainous area. Took me a while to convince myself it was an ocean.

weird that its a different color on the minimap.
or that the minimap doesnt color the planet colors then?
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 49