Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 29

Author Topic: DFHack: quickfort | buildingplan | blueprint | blueprints/library  (Read 86003 times)

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFHack: quickfort | buildingplan | blueprint | blueprints/library
« Reply #315 on: August 18, 2021, 09:02:16 pm »

Ah, sorry! I'm adding the supporting files and their documentation to be distributed with DFHack. The PR is https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack/pull/1925. the rendered docs are available at https://dfhack--1925.org.readthedocs.build/en/1925/docs/guides/examples-guide.html

The links to files in the docs won't work yet since they're not merged, but all the files themselves are in that PR.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 12:05:59 am by myk »

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 18, 2021, 10:50:59 pm »

Thanks.
Ok, so I think I understand now with the hauling, we want lever/vehicle/remove construction hauling enabled pretty much always on everyone and let the auto-hauler handle the rest? I was using the old version that you sent me in a zip, just downloaded fresh ones
Some of the groupings I find questionable (Although I am seeing it is by work area, which is legit since it keeps them from having to travel too much), I guess eventually you'll have a better pool of skilled craftsmen at the cost of them taking longer to get there. It also gives less control over the moodable skill. The craftsmen is really a free for all lol!

You really need to cut down on tanners, it is a special skill because while it has no effect on quality it is a moodable skill. I shudder to imagine 20 legendary tanners running around my fort and all the leather artifacts that could have been good metal weapons or armor. I'd remove it from both farmers and unskilled and probably put it on the clothiers.

I'm still mulling over the rest. There certainly is a reduction of micromanagement. Later on it also adds some resiliency, since I typically might have 1 or 2 highly skilled dorfs per job and if I lose 1 it is a major disaster. Having 3 or 4 makes it less disruptive. I am certainly warming to the idea the more I think about it.

I imagine at a minimum that you restrict the mechanics shop to skilled or better. I do like the idea of the haulers resetting traps but I wouldn't want them all making mechanisms. By the way, how come they don't have all hauling labors active?I had an old version

The farmers have an awful lot of labors enabled. I'm leery. Maybe offload some of their tasks to the unskilled. Granted I don't use some of them at all (both dissection), some are used very rarely (gelding) and then of course shearing/spinning/milking/cheesing are like once per season. It's unfortunate that fisher dwarfs can't handle their own cleaning and this is the next best group to do it. I guess they might be ok. Especially running 5 or so of them.

Miner is missing alchemy. Probably all the jobs should have it? I converted the professions over to DT by hand (they're just text files) and autohauler does not care about the professions set hauling labors. I don't know if dfhack manipulator works any differently than DT since I haven't tried it yet. Actually it doesn't seem like autohauler is respecting the alchemy setting either. I'm at a loss but this is my first time trying it.

I forgot if I mentioned or not, running setup after F1 runs without error.

Animal care should be removed from Outdoorsdwarf, it will level up their doctor skills if used and we've already got the dr profession.

Move small animal disection from farmer to outdoorsdwarf, he has most of the ranger skills anyway, reduction of farmer labors. It's a minor nitpick considering how useless a skill it is but will probably play nicer with using DT optimizer (something I'm just starting to mess with as well, but # of assigned labors seems a central theme to it)

Kinda dangerous to only have a handful feeding prisoners/patients. I usually leave that on. Mixed feelings about the recovering wounded too, normally I keep the civilians on lockdown until it's clear anyway. OTOH the ones that get wounded by wild animals in the caverns...hmmm...yeah, would be better to have armed dorfs on recovery. Maybe add it to the miners too, picks are deadly.

Papermaking is considered a craftsdwarf skill, another to unload from farmer. Prefer grouping in DF categories to keep # of guilds from getting out of hand. Pottery, glazing, glassmaking are also considered craftsdwarf. Glassmaking being the only moodable out of these. Technically the textile skills are also craftsdwarf but I think they are a good split. Jeweler are also their own skills

Carpenter, bowyer, woodcutter all considered 1 group. Would probably make carpenter/bowyer its own profession or possibly roll into outdoorsdwarf. Siegecraft goes with Mechanic, although I tend to not use it anyway.

Can probably remove beekeeping from farmers, the outdoorsdwarfs are better suited being armed.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 01:36:48 pm by ldog »
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 19, 2021, 01:11:53 am »

One quick question:

Does quickfort offer a placement mode that works similar to the way workshops are placed (I.e. with X’s, or something, to show where everything would go)?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 19, 2021, 11:01:47 am »

One quick question:

Does quickfort offer a placement mode that works similar to the way workshops are placed (I.e. with X’s, or something, to show where everything would go)?

Sorta if I understand your meaning. It uses DFHack planning mode so you get to see the designations before stuff is built, and of course dig designations a vanilla thing.
For example (from Myk's checklist) we run quickfort run library/dreamfort.csv -n /perimeter to see how a spot will work out, and then run quickfort undo library/dreamfort.csv -n /perimeter to remove that. We can do it repeatedly until we find the right spot, but it is important to run the undo to cleanup or they will build it.

Any command you run can be undone, you just need to make sure to put the cursor in the same place or you'll have remnants.

For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 19, 2021, 01:49:03 pm »

Just to add to that reply to A_Curious_Cat before I start debating professions:

As ldog indicated, the best quickfort currently offers is the "run", "undo" pair. I have it on my backlog to implement a true preview mode that would show a "shadow" of the blueprint that you could position interactively before applying. I don't even have a design for this feature yet, though, so don't expect it too soon. Open for contributors, though!

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 19, 2021, 08:43:50 pm »

Since we can adjust the uniforms. I been thinking about shields. Bucklers are just crap, never use. Also I think wood would be better than leather (for the leather armor users instead of wasting leather on shields) and of course metal still for the metal armor uniform (because shield bash is pretty potent).

Uhhh, just noticed cloak is 9 down. Got leather robes added to uniforms. The wierd thing is I swore this was working earlier.

So I made a custom DT view, a bit more in line with the actual profession groups (having read through the guide I learned about how the current default labors came into being), and somewhat tailored for your custom professions (with my edits of course):

Trying something a bit new for this embark skillwise. Dropped discipline/swimming from the masons and farmer. Engraving is much slower to raise than mining so I maxed that at the cost of a couple mining. Gave the outdoorsdwarfs herbalism because why not, made the farmer a cook too. Took 2nd axe and more rope at the cost of half our starting bronze & coal out of laziness.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 09:03:17 pm by ldog »

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 20, 2021, 12:04:47 am »

Uhhh, just noticed cloak is 9 down. Got leather robes added to uniforms. The wierd thing is I swore this was working earlier.
ah, so it's not just me. I thought I got it working, but on my next test I got tunics added instead of cloaks. It looks like the list is non-static, which is bad news. I might have to back out that particular uniform change (the others seem to work reliably) until I can figure out a better way to do it.

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 20, 2021, 03:47:44 pm »

The profession definitions could definitely use some discussion, and I really should have been more transparent about my thought process (prepare yourself for a long post with lots of lists and tables). I designed them according to three principles:
  • Simplicity - not too many different professions, accessible to newbies, but applicable and useful for experienced players. I want the careful thinking about professions to happen here, in the thread. For players in the the game, they should "just work".
  • Resiliency - loss of a single dwarf should not be catastrophic for the fort; prefer groups of dwarves having groups of jobs rather than single dwarves having single jobs.
  • Efficiency - Jobs are gated by workshop use, so labors that are used at the same workshops (or at a related set of workshops) should go to the same dwarves. Labors that need to be done simultaneously should go to different dwarves.
I also tried to make the professions useful in general and not depend too heavily on the specifics of Dreamfort or any particular playstyle (though I do understand that *some* assumptions about playstyle have to go into the design).

Note that I did not consider guild association or distributions of moodable skills. If we can work those in without compromising too much on the other principles, it would be a net win. My approach so far is to be more laissez faire on moods, and post-mood I check to see if the dwarf's current profession benefited from the mood. If not, I consider changing the profession of the dwarf to make use of the new expertise (or sometimes I just enable that labor for that dwarf and give them an out-of-profession assignment). You're absolutely right that we at least need to be more conscious of these issues, though. More on that below.

First, I figured out which tasks are most important to be done simultaneously at different stages of fort maturity.

Starting fort
  • mining
  • masonry
  • stonecrafting
  • woodcutting
  • carpentry

Basic fort
  • mining
  • masonry
  • stonecrafting
  • woodcutting
  • carpentry
  • mechanics
  • farming
  • brewing

Advanced fort
  • mining
  • masonry
  • stonecrafting
  • woodcutting
  • carpentry
  • mechanics
  • farming
  • brewing
  • cooking
  • butchery, tanning
  • bowyery, bone carving, woodcrafting, weapon/armor smithing
  • clothesmaking, dyeing, plant processing, spinning, shearing, leatherworking, weaving
  • furnace operating
  • hauling

Steady-mode fort
  • everything
  • hauling

Then I mapped the labors to their primary workshops:

WorkshopLabor
AsheryLye Making
Bowyer's workshopBowyery
Butcher's shopButchery
Butcher's shopSmall Animal Dissection
Carpenter's workshopCarpentry
Clothier's ShopClothesmaking
Craftdwarf's workshopStonecrafting
Craftdwarf's workshopBone Carving
Craftdwarf's workshopWoodcrafting
Craftdwarf's workshopStrand Extraction
Craftdwarf's workshopBookbinding
Craftdwarf's workshopWaxworking
Dyer's ShopDyeing
Farm plotFarming
Farmer's workshopGelding
Farmer's workshopPlant Processing
Farmer's workshopMilking
Farmer's workshopCheese Making
Farmer's workshopSpinning
Farmer's workshopPaper Making
Farmer's workshopShearing
FisheryFish Cleaning
FisheryFish Dissection
Glass furnaceGlassmaking
Jeweler's workshopGem cutting
Jeweler's workshopGem setting
KennelTrapping
KilnPottery
KilnGlazing
KitchenCooking
Leather worksLeatherworking
LoomWeaving
Mason's workshopMasonry
Mechanic's workshopMechanics
Metalsmith's forgeWeaponsmithing
Metalsmith's forgeArmoring
Metalsmith's forgeBlacksmithing
Metalsmith's forgeMetalcrafting
QuernMilling
Screw pressPressing
Siege workshopSiege Engineering
SmelterFurnace Operating
Soap-maker's workshopSoaping
StillBrewing
Tanner's shopTanning
Wood furnaceWood Burning
Wood furnacePotash Making

Then I started building the professions step by step. I separated the early important labors so fort development would never be in danger of stalling. As I added labors to each group, I tried to keep labors associated with the same workshops in the same group. And whenever I added a workshop to a group, I tried to combine workshops from the same industry.

Starting fort
ProfessionWorkshopsLabors (grouped by workshop)
Profession 1nonemining
Profession 2mason(masonry)
Profession 3craftdwarf(stonecrafting)
Profession 4nonewoodcutting
Profession 5carpenter(carpentry)

Basic fort
Profession 1nonemining
Profession 3craftdwarf(stonecrafting)
Profession 4mechanicwoodcutting, (mechanics)
Profession 6stillfarming, (brewing)

Advanced fort
Profession 1nonemining
Profession 3craftdwarf(stonecrafting, bone carving, woodcrafting)
Profession 4mechanicwoodcutting, (mechanics)
Profession 6still, butcher, tannery, farmer'sfarming, (brewing), (butchery), (tanning), (plant processing, spinning, shearing)
Profession 7kitchen(cooking)
Profession 8bowyer, forge(bowyery), (weaponsmithing, armoring)
Profession 9clothier, dyer, leather, loom(clothesmaking), (dyeing), (leatherworking), (weaving)
Profession 10smelter(furnace operating)
Profession 11nonehauling

Steady-mode fort
Minernonemining, stone detailing
Masonmason(masonry)
Craftsdwarfcraftdwarf, jewler(stonecrafting, bone carving, woodcrafting, strand extraction, bookbinding, waxworking), (gem cutting, gem setting)
Outdoorsdwarfmechanic, kennelwoodcutting, animal training, plant gathering, beekeeping, gather wounded, (mechanics), (trapping)
(subsumed into Craftsdwarf)carpenter(carpentry)
Farmerstill, butcher, tannery, farmer's, fishery, query, screw pressfarming, (brewing), (butchery, small animal dissection), (tanning), (plant processing, spinning, shearing, gelding, milking, cheese making, paper making), (fish cleaning, fish dissection), (milling), (pressing)
Chefkitchen(cooking)
Smithbowyer, forge, glass, kiln, siege(bowyery), (weaponsmithing, armoring, blacksmithing, metalcrafting), (glassmaking), (pottery, glazing). (siege engineering)
Clothierclothier, dyer, leather, loom(clothesmaking), (dyeing), (leatherworking), (weaving)
Unskilledsmelter, ashery, soap, wood furnace(furnace operating), (lye making), (soaping), (wood burning, potash making)
Haulernonehauling, architecture
Doctornoneanimal care, suturing, surgery, setting bones, dressing wounds, diagnosis
Fisherdwarfnonefishing

I named the professions in that last table according to the themes that appeared to be emerging.

I then made some adjustments and additions:
  • I subsumed carpentry into the craftsdwarf profession since it becomes less important in more mature forts.
  • I created the "StartManager" profession, which is everything not already covered by the other starting professions (primarily so all the workshops can get built, even if there are no jobs enqueued there at the beginning of the game), plus some double-coverage for some labors, like stonecrafting.
  • I added the "Marksdwarf" and "Meleedwarf" professions, who are just haulers with different names, so I could find them easily when assembling my military.
  • I added a few other double-coverage labors so they'd be sure to get addressed, like beekeeping on the farmers and architecture on the masons.

Then, with playtesting, I figured out how many dwarves would be needed for each profession at each stage of fort development, resulting in the recommendations I made in the docs we just merged.

Now, my interpretation of the data, my methodology, and all the decisions I made were based on my experience and my sometimes flawed, certainly incomplete understanding of the game. Feedback and improvement suggestions are very much welcomed. Let me address some of your comments:

You really need to cut down on tanners, it is a special skill because while it has no effect on quality it is a moodable skill. I shudder to imagine 20 legendary tanners running around my fort and all the leather artifacts that could have been good metal weapons or armor. I'd remove it from both farmers and unskilled and probably put it on the clothiers.
This is a good idea. I had given it to so many dwarves because it is a time-sensitive task, and the farmers (who originally were the only ones assigned) didn't always process the rawhides before they rotted. The clothiers are usually not so busy that they can't run upstairs to tan hides, and it would fit in well with their skillset. I might change my recommendation from 2 to 3 clothiers to compensate. If I can figure out how to automatically prioritize tanning jobs, I'll drop that recommendation back down to 2.

I imagine at a minimum that you restrict the mechanics shop to skilled or better. I do like the idea of the haulers resetting traps but I wouldn't want them all making mechanisms.
This is exactly what I do. I didn't document this in the dreamfort help because I didn't want newbies to get overwhelmed, but I can mention this in the professions docs.

The farmers have an awful lot of labors enabled. I'm leery. Maybe offload some of their tasks to the unskilled. Granted I don't use some of them at all (both dissection), some are used very rarely (gelding) and then of course shearing/spinning/milking/cheesing are like once per season. [...] I guess they might be ok. Especially running 5 or so of them.
Yeah, most of the Farmer's labors are rarely used, but they need somebody free to do them when they need doing. Moreover, it's useful to have 5 farmers at peak planting/harvest season, but they need something to do the rest of the time.

It's unfortunate that fisher dwarfs can't handle their own cleaning and this is the next best group to do it.
I just checked if prioritize can handle this, and it turns out it can! I'll add PrepareRawFish and ExtractFromRawFish to the "automatically prioritize" list in onMapLoad_dreamfort.init and move these labors to the fisherdwarves.

Miner is missing alchemy. [...] Animal care should be removed from Outdoorsdwarf, it will level up their doctor skills if used and we've already got the dr profession.
Those changes should already be in the most recent professions definitions, just merged. You can pick them up by pulling from the DFHack repo now, and I'll remove the old ones from the shared drive. You still have to manually copy the updated professions from hack/examples/professions/ to professions/ to use them in manipulator, though.

I forgot if I mentioned or not, running setup after F1 runs without error.
I fixed the alias in the /setup blueprint to automate that step, so it *should* run reliably now regardless of where the wagon is on your screen (as long as you don't redefine the {F1} hotkey before running the /setup blueprint).

Probably all the jobs should have [Alchemist]? I converted the professions over to DT by hand (they're just text files) and autohauler does not care about the professions set hauling labors. I don't know if dfhack manipulator works any differently than DT since I haven't tried it yet. Actually it doesn't seem like autohauler is respecting the alchemy setting either. I'm at a loss but this is my first time trying it.
I included hauling labors in the professions so they'd be useful for players regardless of whether they are using autohauler. I expect them to get overridden if autohauler is active. However, I need to double-check to make sure all the hauling labors are set correctly for each profession. Sometimes autohauler decides to change the labors just as I'm saving changes in manipulator and I don't notice.

I didn't want to automatically include Alchemist for all (skilled) professions since that would break the early game, when you need all dwarves to haul in their spare time. I say in the Hauler description: "As you accumulate enough Haulers, you can turn off hauling labors for other dwarves so they can focus on their skilled tasks.", but for players who don't read the docs, I figured it was safer to default hauling labors to on as opposed to turning them all off and letting the player manually enable them.

I did turn Alchemist on for Farmers, though, since they always need to focus. Maybe I'll give them HAUL_FOOD as well for the non-autohauler users.

n.b. you can configure autohauler to ignore the settings on certain labors. For example, my personal onMapLoad_myk.init file (which runs after onMapLoad_dreamfort.init) looks like this:
Code: [Select]
on-new-fortress buildingplan set boulders false; buildingplan set logs false

on-new-fortress enable autohauler
on-new-fortress autohauler FEED_WATER_CIVILIANS allow; autohauler RECOVER_WOUNDED allow

enable dwarfvet
dwarfvet enable

on-new-fortress autobutcher target 0 0 0 0 new
the autohauler lines let me manually manage those two labors. I'll make a note of that at the end of the professions docs.

As for why it doesn't appear to be respecting the Alchemist labor for you, I'm not sure. Do you happen to have a conflicting labor management plugin enabled, like autolabor or labormanager? autohauler can be configured to check a different labor as its "no hauling" flag, but if you haven't specifically set that up then it shouldn't apply to you.

Move small animal disection from farmer to outdoorsdwarf, he has most of the ranger skills anyway
I try to keep labors associated with a particular workshop together. I could move both butchery and small animal dissection to the Outdoorsdwarf, though... I'll have to playtest that to see how well that works. Sometimes the Outdoorsdwarves are outside chopping trees for a long time, but butchery and dissection isn't exactly super-time sensitive.

Kinda dangerous to only have a handful feeding prisoners/patients. I usually leave that on.
It's on for Doctors, Haulers, and Outdoorsdwarves. Is that not enough? Haulers might be too busy, which is why I added it specifically to the other two professions.

Mixed feelings about the recovering wounded too, normally I keep the civilians on lockdown until it's clear anyway. OTOH the ones that get wounded by wild animals in the caverns...hmmm...yeah, would be better to have armed dorfs on recovery. Maybe add it to the miners too, picks are deadly.
Yeah, it was the caverns that inspired me to only give this to armed dwarves. Good idea to include miners.

Can probably remove beekeeping from farmers, the outdoorsdwarfs are better suited being armed.
I had added this to farmers to ensure the beehive products were promptly gathered -- the beehives themselves are normally populated from outside hives at the beginning of the game. Or so I thought. After some observation, I do see dwarves continuing to go outside to repopulate drained hives, despite having two hives  inside the fort reserved for population splitting. Ok, removed from farmers.

Papermaking is considered a craftsdwarf skill, another to unload from farmer. Prefer grouping in DF categories to keep # of guilds from getting out of hand. Pottery, glazing, glassmaking are also considered craftsdwarf. Glassmaking being the only moodable out of these. Technically the textile skills are also craftsdwarf but I think they are a good split. Jeweler are also their own skills

Carpenter, bowyer, woodcutter all considered 1 group. Would probably make carpenter/bowyer its own profession or possibly roll into outdoorsdwarf. Siegecraft goes with Mechanic, although I tend to not use it anyway.
I'd be happy to reallocate labors, but we do need to ensure dwarves don't block on each other due to workshop conflict. You make a good point about guilds. The opposing issue I'm trying to balance is complexity of workshop layout and the resulting brittleness of the blueprint set:

If we split the labors that are used at a craftsdwarf's workshop, then we risk some dwarves sitting idle while another dwarf uses the workshop.

We can try to counter this by building more workshops, but manager orders are distributed to all available workshops by default, so if stonecrafting tasks are at the top of the list for all workshops, non-stonecrafting craftsdwarves are still blocked.

Finally, we can fix this by restricting the allowed general work order labors on each craftsdwarf's workshop. We can do this in a quickfort #query blueprint, but as with all building-modifying #query blueprints, it can fail or give surprising results if the player has made modifications to building settings before running the blueprint. Also, splitting the labors for a single workshop into multiple professions now requires a player to set their workshops up a certain way in order to be efficient. It is much more straightforward and less error-prone to scale by just creating more workshops and more dwarves with that workshop's profession.

So that's the trade-off I've been mentally balancing. I've tried to be very careful about introducing failure points into dreamfort. The new /setup blueprint is the exception, and you've seen how clearly I try to communicate that it must be run before any other changes are made (and you've also seen how brittle it can be anyway).

I'm not saying that we shouldn't make changes. We just need to consider the potential failure modes. DF is not an easy game to automate. Getting and keeping Dreamfort (and the supporting files) in a "it just works" state is a tricky task.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 03:59:48 pm by myk »

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 20, 2021, 07:02:01 pm »

Great post! Glad to see we're on the same page about the thought processes behind stuff. I'm always learning new things about this game too, I may be a near expert in some aspects but there are many that I am as clueless as the next urist. I think I've learned as much from you as you from me. Certainly going through and playtesting this thing over and over has been a learning experience.

The onload override helps a lot. I may give the autohauler another shot, I tried it briefly and wasn't happy, but then I was testing out the professions and found out how aggressive it actually is. No other automation, although now I wonder if I enabled autolabor by accident in that run.

That's awesome with the fisherdwarves. I may actually start using them again (especially since 2nd migrant wave just brought me 2 I was debating dumping into lava).

I agree those 3 principles must guide everything, even though I tend to forget to keep it simple sometimes. There are certain things that DT trivializes, if I was forced to use the DFHack manager instead I would tear my hair out trying to play my normal way. The start while a bit complicated does some really useful stuff so it's worth the tradeoff. BTW I'm finding I don't appoint a bookkeeper until 1st migrant wave; early on there is just too much else to do.

Fair point about the carpenter being mostly early game. Mainly because we don't use bins and we use pots instead of barrels, otherwise the carpenter probably would be more important. I'm liking it combined into the outdoorsdwarf so far though. Also 2 dorfs cutting wood right off the rip was useful, especially in my current heavily wooded embark.

Too many skills on the craftsdwarf becomes unwieldly. I absolutely wouldn't ever consider running with only 1 shop though, for several reasons. 1 as you've said is shop in use and work piling up. Urist McCrafty standing around with his thumb up his ass. Also splitting the labors or condensing them doesn't do anything to alleviate this problem. More shops does. 2 Is materials, shops should always be as close as possible to their input (especially for heavy things like stone), but here we've got all kinds of inputs and the piles in different places 3 As you've said, it's trivial to restrict the shop to the type of job that can be performed at them.

Lack of stone pots and jugs can shut the fort down, not to mention the stone is heavy. So I have 1 shop that does only stonecrafting. Cranking out bone crossbow bolts is another pretty fulltime industry (I typically run heavier on marksdorfs than you do, 2-3 squads). Then there is everything else, which I tend to not do so much of, and are mostly lighter things anyway. If there were room in the Dreamfort, I'd probably slap a 4th down in the wood area, because again xbow bolts. Once upon a time I ran a fort almost entirely on mussels (from just 1 fisher too!) and so there were fulltime shops for shell crafting. Craftsdwarves shops, generally more is better. Especially with specialization. The workshop profiles were a very powerful addition to the game and I use the hell out of them.

That being said, honestly most of the craftsdwarf jobs I am fine for letting semi-skilled peasants work at so combining them together is good. Pottery being such a niche thing (and unmoodable) I consider it for noobs, and I haven't used it since. In general I hate the way moods are implemented and they waste too much of my time, much as I wanted to scream when I saw the state of one of your 200+ dwarf lategame forts legendarys, there is a large appeal to saying "Fuckitall!". I think if they only happened when a dwarf was already legendary they would be much better and remove the randomness as well as the min-maxing, but I doubt Toady would ever go for that and I imagine the masses would come with their torches and pitchforks if it did happen. I'd settle for tanner not being a moodable at this point, but hey it could be worse, we should be thankful there are no artifact artisan cheeses! Thinking more about tanning, honestly 5 wouldn't be too much for a mature fort (5 farmers) and it also helps ensure the farmers stay farmers (if they mooded into a weaponsmith then they aren't going to stay farmers in my fort).

Glassmaking...glassmaking is generally every bit as important as the smithing skills. Does it belong with them though? I dunno. In the Dreamfort we've got them all close. In other designs I've used I often do not have them (glass and pottery) near the smelters. Their similarity starts and ends with them being furnaces. Granted when you're running magma you don't have to consider where the coke is except for steel. I used to do a lot of green glass to the jewelers for training cutting and embedding on furniture. Jewelers are another mixed bag, seems I always get lots of early migrant jewelers when it is the last thing on my mind, so they end up doing peasant stuff (can never have too many furnace operators) but I guess rolling them into general craftsdwarf is just as good.

I guessed what the startmanager was for, and gave it a try (although I stripped it down a bit), I thought it was a disaster. Normally I temporarily give everyone but the miners all the roles needed to get industry2 done and then remove them (but see above about DT). What was bad about it? It delayed farming unacceptably. That guy is just way too busy for anything once farming2 is ran. Middle of 3rd season I have him at Grower and cook 6, stonecrafter 2 and brewing/butcher/tanner 0. And I added a farmer 1st wave to pick up the slack. On the other hand, maybe letting farming wait isn't so bad. My unskilled farmer made grower 3 in just a season, and that was as the helper. Maybe a stonecrafter 5/glassworker 5 would be a more useful 7th dorf than a grower. We're not going to starve, especially with 2 herbalists (although there are annoying bugs with herbalism).

As far as keeping labors together by workshop. Sometimes it is more efficient, so less walking is involved. Other times not so much. Butcher for example. Nobody hangs out at the butcher shop. They've got to go up to the pasture to get the animal to slaughter and then go back and then they are on their way. Dissection? IIRC (been ages), They've got to go to the trap and get a vermin corpse and bring it back. Granted if alchemy were ever implemented I might care more about it. I don't think I'd move butchery, it's still important enough that I want it done in a reasonable timeframe, and herbalism can be a huge timesink. Ultimately I only added carpenter and bowyer to yours and left the rest off. Now if we could do the same kind of trickery to those skills as fishing, so we could have hunter/trapper and make them also butcher/dissect/tan that would be something. Shame tanning is being stubborn.

The unskilled...hate the name, it's what I think of haulers as. I'm torn between laborer, furnace operator or peasant.

The feeding, yeah after giving it some more thought the doctors alone are probably enough, mine are usually off playing golf getting drunk. If there are a lot of long-term patients in traction then you're probably up shits creek anyway, POW type prisoners don't usually live long enough that starving to death is a concern, and jail type prisoners have food and booze piles.

Bummer on the uniforms. Wish we had a better way to fix them.

Oh, food hauling right! Yes, I'd leave it on as many dorfs as possible. We don't want our food to rot. Most other things generally can wait but food cannot. Besides the farmers, I would also think about enabling it on others with restricted hauling profiles. Speaking of food, the cook. Considering how often I catch my dorfs munching on raw plants or even meat while lavish meals go untouched, it doesn't really matter much. Now if you are using them as your main trade good, which is very viable actually then I can see the dedicated chefs, otherwise not so much. Of course if we made 1 chef our bookkeeper and the other our manager that might work out well. CMD naturally should be the best Doctor. Broker generally goes to best suited, who it's highly possible will be the mayor as well.

The new apartments, I'd leave the extra 4 out. I don't usually do a quarry level (unless like deep marble is my only flux). As my goodies are usually in the sedimentary (upper) layers (iron, coal, flux) I tend to just mine tunnels out around the fort levels. Could go out the branch tunnels I guess, although it would be better if they were 2 wide instead of 1, but then that also makes us 2 tiles taller and I don't know if we are maxed for the 1 tile footprint.

Could stick those bedrooms on the ends of the branches too, although that would make us 2 wider, so same issue.

So I'm thinking late game mason becomes less busy, maybe pairing jeweler with mason would make sense (I still just think there's too much on the craftsdwarf, not to mention I don't like pottery & glassworking on the smiths)

Oh, and I get melee/marksdwarf for sorting purposes, but why bother with civilian skills on them? Do you deactivate them from time to time? I pretty much follow the rule of once a militiadwarf, always a militiadwarf. I used to try to rotate them on and off of active duty but it just caused too many problems with uniforms/clothing, they wouldn't stop drilling when offduty - which defeats the purpose, and once they become professional soldiers they become unhappy returning to civilian life.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 06:44:35 am by ldog »

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 21, 2021, 07:33:25 am »

So my next playtests custom professions (not going to list the hauling labors):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
No one has more than 12 labors enabled (not counting hauling/recover/feed). I'm flipflopping on the soldiers, whether they should just have hauling or the full hauler profession (although we swap recover with feeding). I'm also still mulling over glassworking and pottery, especially since I hadn't considered quicklime (although it's kinda useless, pigtail sheets ftw) and moving the economic stone to stoneworker pile is a possible point of failure...but so far I still see more cons than pros to adding those to smiths.

Starting with the usual 2 miners, 2 masons, carpenter, mechanic. Still debating what to do with #7. I'm thinking either stonecrafter or farmer and then with or without cook. Of course possibly stonecrafter/grower but not other farming.

Choices...
So we have to have some stonecrafting to get the ball rolling. We can let the masons do it, and hopefully by 1st or 2nd wave assign someone else permanantly.
We really need to do minimal cooking or bring more food on embark. Letting the outdoorsdwarves practice herbalism early on slows fort building unacceptably. Can be done by unskilled.
Farming. Really needs to be done no later than 1st migrant wave if we don't want to be dependant upon caravan.
We'll need to do a bit of brewing, but I'd never waste points on it.
All other (not already covered) jobs do not impact 1st year fort building (I currently bring 4 rope).

We can assign 2 farmers out of 1st migrant wave without hardship seems a safe assumption. I'm also looking to avoid reassigning jobs if I don't have to (the stupid guilds always in the back of my head, which was crowded enough with moodables). Can probably put the brewing off until 1st migrant wave (need to forbid the plumpers so they don't eat them). We're probably better off having a leg up with the skilled stonecrafter because in the first 3 waves I either get none or I get 3-4 of them. Cooking is still worth considering, although I'm probably going to not put points into it. I think we will just make him a crafter and we'll add 5 glassworking. I'm a big fan of magma sooner than later so we'll be making glass pumps within the first year. This embark also has lava at 1st cavern layer.

Current test embark.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Major skills revamp. Besides the skill changes, we've done a bit of tweaking. The extra axe and rope. We got most of the points cutting coal and ore, which less heavy shit to haul from the surface is better anyway. I'm still not comfortable going without though, so we've got enough for some weapons/armor. I cut the geese down to 2 so as to not have to arse with getting 4 nestboxes in initially. My exotic meats were unavailable.  I am frequently not getting any leather in the 1st caravan, which is annoying as fuck. Not to mention some embarks might need some militia sooner rather than later. 5 + 2 from pack animals gives us enough to get started, without waiting for geese to mature/2nd caravan. I should probably reorder them to put the craftsdwarf on top, sometimes I go the anal retentiveness extra mile of using DT to check who is better suited for what roles and so assign the skills by hand, which results in the lack of order. I unassign everything but manager after running setup these days anyway. 1st migrant wave I go and assign CMD, bookkeeper and broker. I typically reval every migrant wave too.

This time cloaks were in the 8th slot. We're off to a great start!

I made the changes to shields. Considering the script can be unreliable I guess I'm sticking with doing it by hand. I should probably add my steel marksdorf uniform as well. The usual assign all the dogs to train for war. Carpenter and Mechanic assigned Outdoorsdwarf. Masons and Miners their profs respectively. Craftsdwarf gets craftsdwarf. No surprises here. Will do my usual job assign/unassign to get workshops built when needed.

Starting piles adjustments (typical for me) to remove some hauling. I remove all but whatever stone is found on the industry level (mudstone in this case), I don't want a bunch of shit hauled twice. I manually build a mason out of coke bar right next to wagon and I make all the quartzite into blocks right then and there via repeating order. I restrict the rest of the work orders to the surface2 mason. Remove blocks from misc, no need to haul them an extra time. Starting wood we restrict to willow only, besides what we brought I'll usually wind up cutting down a few. The rest of the wood can sit where its cut until later. I remove refuse-corpses from that pile; early surface vermin corpses not a concern. This time I'm actually going to turn on accept from links only on misc and cloth/trash because getting food into pile is priority, especially in this slimy mudhole hot swamp I am in. We're going to make the surface2 mason/crafter/mechanic take only from the stone pile too. We don't want them hauling up from below by hand. I cancel the temp depot. I know I will have the permanent one done before caravan arrives. If something goes wrong though, I'll probably wish I didn't.

Since I was too lazy to pull the new files, I have to run orders 1 by 1. I actually prefer that anyway since it seems like otherwise construction bogs down and I run into hauling issues. I remove the blocks since we're making quartzite. I will use these for workshops, track stops and bridges only -  so we don't cancel all block jobs created by orders but on a case by case basis. In general I am anal about controlling what materials are used to build what. We'll set beds to whatever local wood strikes my fancy (date palm) and the rest willow for weight. The nestboxes we'll use local stone (mudstone). We'll do the same for pretty much everything else as well. When we get a local supply of magmaproof stone we'll switch mechanisms, doors and containers over to that. Walls and floors are always magmaproof so we don't worry about them.

There was only a single tree in surface1 so I ran surface2 as well before even unpausing. I designate a few willows to chop as well. 1 final check to make sure everyone has work to do and off we go.

I queue up farming2 as well. We've got jet in the industry area, so we're going to make the pots out of it. We add that to the stone pile. We need to let them dig a little stone before digging out farming level or crafting will stall, and then construction with it.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 02:25:56 pm by ldog »

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 21, 2021, 11:50:45 am »

Continuing the blow by blow.

So miners are at 5 skill (from 3) by 2-9, farming level about half dug out, industry 1/4.

I like a bigger guard dog pasture, I delete the existing and make it 5x5, removing the 2 stairwell tiles. Otherwise when we get pups it gets crowded. I know I overdo it with the dogs and the sensible thing would be to only keep a few and butcher the rest, but I can't help myself. I'll generally train them and assign them to 1st melee squad. I'll also station some at the cavern entrance(s) later. With the amount of trap avoid shit that comes in through the caverns they are indispensible.

Farms dug out on 2-16. I decide the craftsdwarf will have to do the cooking as soon as the kitchen is built. We didn't do the temporary surface thing we usually do. Enable needed skills for building on the masons and outdoorsdwarves. Disable the skills again once all is built.

I'm really not sure about the autohauler and alchemy, although it at least isn't assigning the miners any hauling jobs, it did remove their assigned ones (remove/pull lever/vehicle) from DT. Your tweak for the feed/recover works at least. I've also turned off everything but multilevel view from PyLNP and added the rest to my personal config override as needed so I am sure autolabor/labormanager isn't enabled (in fact I just doublechecked from console). Anyway, the autohauler does seem to be getting the job done for now. 2-21 and farming2 is done, as well as our first lavish meal, and as usual I am catching the little bastards eating the PH. 3 of them gone, I caught 2 more running off with them. LeSigh! At least they don't eat the seeds. I think food-hauling needs to be made high priority. Can it be done?

Farming3 is done by 3-05. The miners are at 7 skill. They might just finish industry this season.

I had some fuckup where they started using the wrong blocks on the surface floor. I suspect because I turned off global planning momentarily to do some manual construction and it lost the settings for the floors? It always has been a bit flaky, but at least it works usually. So ripping out and redesignating I also somehow fucked up and deconstructed the masons workshops on the surface, and then there are blocks blocking me from rebuilding, and still job cancellation spam. Fucking aggravation. It isn't really setting us back any though. The miners aren't going to be done before the end of the season (it's usually about a week into next season anyway). Hopefully we get all the miasma vents sealed, if not surface3 done altogether.

So we made it into summer with only about 40 blocks left to dig out for industry2, not too shabby. Miners at skill 9. I don't really know if they extra 2 levels would have made a difference or not, but it's fine. There is still surface work to be finished anyway. Surface3 needs half the roof still, which would have been done if not for the above fuckup. Again not a big deal. Of job orders, surface3 is just finishing up, so only surface4 and services2 to do. 4-3 and industry is dug out. I ripped out 3 smelters and the pottery kiln so I could just pre-channel for magma. I was going to relocate the kilns up top right, but decided the complexity of stone distribution wasn't worth it, besides I may want more masons and probably jewelers up there. Also some wierdo may come along and want a kennel to train vermin pets, and that would be the last spot left. I can still get 3 more forges and another smelter into the bottom right quad without moving the kilns. I can live with that.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 02:34:34 pm by ldog »

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 21, 2021, 02:53:43 pm »

I don't want to get in the way of your research, but here are some quick responses/reactions:

- I had put glassmaking with the smiths since at that time I really didn't understand how powerful glassmaking was. I'm all for moving it to a better-suited profession.
- Agree that "Unskilled" is a terrible name. +1 for any of your other suggestions
- I have civilian skills (like mechanics) on the soldiers since it is useful to set all squads to inactive right after a siege so they can help haul cages, reset traps, and dump prisoner equipment. Then I set them back to active and start "live training" on the caged invaders. I'm considering adding my "prisoner recycling" setup to dreamfort, but I wasn't sure if it was too me-specific. I have a caged prisoner quantum stockpile in my barracks that is also a pasture. After I strip the equipment from the prisoners, I just set them all to be assigned to the pasture that the cages are already sitting on top of. Haulers come and free the caged prisoners one by one, and as soon as they are freed, all my soldiers who are training in the barracks jump on them and body parts go a'flying.

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 21, 2021, 03:42:52 pm »

I don't want to get in the way of your research, but here are some quick responses/reactions:

- I had put glassmaking with the smiths since at that time I really didn't understand how powerful glassmaking was. I'm all for moving it to a better-suited profession.
- Agree that "Unskilled" is a terrible name. +1 for any of your other suggestions
- I have civilian skills (like mechanics) on the soldiers since it is useful to set all squads to inactive right after a siege so they can help haul cages, reset traps, and dump prisoner equipment. Then I set them back to active and start "live training" on the caged invaders. I'm considering adding my "prisoner recycling" setup to dreamfort, but I wasn't sure if it was too me-specific. I have a caged prisoner quantum stockpile in my barracks that is also a pasture. After I strip the equipment from the prisoners, I just set them all to be assigned to the pasture that the cages are already sitting on top of. Haulers come and free the caged prisoners one by one, and as soon as they are freed, all my soldiers who are training in the barracks jump on them and body parts go a'flying.

Will see how glassworking works out on the craftsdwarf. I am going to try to stick with this save longer to see how the professions age. In general I like diluting the craftsdwarf down, because unlike say metalsmithing where we want all masterwork items, for the disposable trade goods a lot of the crafts produce we really don't want masterwork (at least trading them away doesn't cause major sadness like it used to) Nobody wants a pile full of mastercrafted wax scepters and goose skull totems!

I think I'm leaning towards furnace operator. I can't find a decent 1 word synonym, at least not in English. Hmmm. Smelter?
smelter. / (ˈsmɛltə) / noun. a person engaged in smelting
The other thing I thought of was charcoaler. Maybe smelter/charcoaler, since they are both.
Interesting thing I just learned about the furnace operator, he actually makes plaster powder and pearlash not the potter, even though it is in the kiln.

I hadn't thought of deactivating the soldiers for cleanup, such a painfully obvious good idea now that you point it out!
No, I don't think the prisoner recycling is too specific, everyone needs that. I do more or less the same. I used to do a pitting thing but I forgot where it went (or possibly was broken in newer versions).

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 21, 2021, 07:31:44 pm »

Both miners now lvl 10 on 4-19. I started doing a little expansion south in industry, will put 3 magma forges there. The kilns will go to the right side vacant area, 2 each (realizing late game we may still want 2 kilns not for pottery but for producing pearlash and of course 2 glass kilns is better than 1) This lets us have 6 smelters in the core area along with 4 forges. Added a small QSP for the clay.

Starting surface4. I just watched an idiot herbalist run back and forth between the plants and cookable storage repeatedly dropping plants instead of dropping all relevant plants once. I forgot how much I hate herbalism. It's an "undocumented feature" of the "newer" (the classic plants are the underground plus a short list of surface plants) more highly fucking annoying realistic plants. So like sometimes we use the root like in a potato, other times the fruit like a tomato, then there's "head" plants like lettuce, stuff where we use multiple parts, and then there are parts we don't use for anything. This makes the poor herbalists job a fucking nightmare.

5/19 services (upper) dug out. lvl 11. Surface4 construction half done. Surface5 orders just started. 40 units of booze and 7 roasts left. Do they eat more often than they used to? This makes 3 meals for some of them. I mean it's a good thing if it has, I always felt it was trivial keeping the fortress fed.

5/24 migrants at last! 8 of them. Blacksmith 10, nice. Gem setter 6, Weaponcrafter 6, Bowyer 8/furnace 13 (I just love some of the pairings...), Mason 6. 2 with level 1 militia skills.
I've certainly seen worse.

Obvious smiths are obvious. So is mason. Bowyer is going to be hmmm....I need a smelter more than I need another outdoorsdwarf right now. And that high skill is very attractive. Everyone needs a moodable skill anyway. So he'll be smelter prof + bowyer labor. Oh yeah, another plus for smelter over laborer, labor/labors are specific terms in DF, can get confusing.

2 completely unskilled peasants, they'll be our new farmers. Mason/engraver/pump/beekeeper 1. Doesn't really cry out for anything. Maon/engraver are both stoneworker but they aren't a good pairing. I think another miner would be handy about now.

The last is the gemsetter 6, with smithing/siege engineer 1, potash 3. Again doesn't fit any current needs really. I don't need an unskilled mason right now, especially with 3 decent ones, and we're not going to do any gemsetting soon. He is also a passable axedwarf 1 (fighter/disc/armor/shield/etc and 78 str, rest of his attribs a bit meh) but then I am not anywhere near ready to start the militia. What to do with him then. I could use a cook if I don't give it to the farmers. Bookkeeper too. Yeah, I chef it is. If I still want him for a soldier later, it will be easy enough to replace him. Will make him manager too, organizer skills will make him a better soldier.

One of the farmers will be our leader and broker. The weaponsmith is a lvl surturer, I guess he's as good as anybody for CMD for now. 2nd wave we'll appoint a doctor, a nice bonus of dwarfvet is it gives the doctors extra practice since the dogs are always getting themselves tore up on wild animals.

3 water buffalo and 1 cow. Meat is back on the menu boys! No pets thankfully.

We've got 1 chef, 1 craftsdwarf, 2 farmers, 3 masons, 3 miners, 2 outdoorsdwarfs, 1 smelter, 2 smiths. Everything but clothier and doctor covered. So yeah, all in all this was really a good 1st wave.

It's time to orders import basic and also...
"quickfort run,orders library/dreamfort.csv -n /surface5   # Run when all marked trees on the surface are chopped down and walls and floors have been constructed, including the roof section over the future barracks." Would have been more concise to say after surface4 is completed :P

I really need to update those files. Have to fix mead, soap, etc by hand.

!!!***!!! prioritize CustomReaction !!!***!!!
guess who that be, I mean tan a hide is the only reaction missing from the entire friggin list...you can even prioritize beat a prisoner, I love it!

Goddamn I hate keas! First warning I get 1 made off with an item, like off the screen off. Next I get 1 in the "foyer" and the dogs are on it, I lock all the doors, the thing passes out and they lose interest. Fuck you! Exterminate this. I think I hate them more than anything in the game. They are like the carp of current versions. Just pure evil. Another just swooped down and tore the head off a gosling. Savage!

We just finished surface4 going into fall, gotta get that depot built now! It was dragging along and I finally had to prioritize it to get it done. There's just too much hauling to be done. Autobutcher is a fucking disaster! It butchered everything so fast that half the shit sat and rotted, even with me manually running do now when I could. The customreaction was a lifesaver at least for hides. Got the aquaduct dug too and gated, just finishing up smoothing and we can fill the cisterns. And this seems like a good time to go to bed.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 10:30:49 pm by ldog »

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 21, 2021, 11:05:48 pm »

I've started implementing some of the changes we're discussing, though I'm holding off doing too much to the professions until you've formed some more solid opinions. You can pull the updated files from:

https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack/pull/1930

Startmanager - still deciding what to do with this guy, honestly until we have someone to actually do a job do we really need their workplace built? he will never do 90% of these labors. Probably just going to dump him.
If we can cut the number of professions down, I'm for it. The potential drawback here is that a workshop that is planned but not built ties up an item with TSK. In this case, the items are likely to be blocks and they're likely to be inside the surface starter mason's workshop. I wrote guidance on how to "safely" decommission those workshops, but for players who don't read/heed the guidance, the longer we let TSK blocks stay in those workshops, the more likely it will be that the workshop will get deconstructed, the item will get scattered, and the unbuilt workshops will get canceled and disappear. This is a bad player experience, and is really the whole reason for the StartManager to exist.

Remove blocks from misc, no need to haul them an extra time.
this is probably useful for everyone. added.

I remove refuse-corpses from that pile; early surface vermin corpses not a concern.
Is this just for this embark, or would you always remove refuse/corpses from the cloth stockpile? I believe I added it at your request : ) I'm fine with removing it or keeping it. The corpse/refuse quantum stockpile on Farming gets set up so quickly anyway.

Since I was too lazy to pull the new files, I have to run orders 1 by 1. I actually prefer that anyway since it seems like otherwise construction bogs down and I run into hauling issues.
you mean with the "preloaded" orders? I actually thought these were quite minimal. what do you think we could improve here? Maybe move orders for /services2 later?

I like a bigger guard dog pasture, I delete the existing and make it 5x5, removing the 2 stairwell tiles.
The only reason I didn't do this by default is because I use those adjacent gate control levers during sieges *a lot* and clicking on them with the mouse is the fastest way to use them. if there's a dog on top of it, a click goes to 'view dog' instead of 'query lever'.

I'm really not sure about the autohauler and alchemy, although it at least isn't assigning the miners any hauling jobs, it did remove their assigned ones (remove/pull lever/vehicle) from DT.
I expect you probably don't want vehicle hauling labors on your miners. since "store item in vehicle" jobs get their priority boosted, your miners will constantly be abandoning their mining to go put things into minecarts.

I think food-hauling needs to be made high priority. Can it be done?
it probably *can* be done, I just need to find the time to dig into it. I believe I can get a reference to the item being hauled, and if the item is a food, I can likely deduce that it's a haul food labor. I might be able to use this same technique to identify tanning jobs. Then I just need to expose this feature in the prioritize script so it doesn't look like the hacky wart I expect it to be.

I suspect because I turned off global planning momentarily to do some manual construction and it lost the settings for the floors?
buildingplan shouldn't lose material settings if you just disable and re-enable planning for floors. It *will* lose its config if you quit and reload, though. I have it on my backlog to persist materials configs across reloads. It's relatively easy to do, if anyone reading this wants a starter project.

I was going to relocate the kilns up top right, but decided the complexity of stone distribution wasn't worth it, besides I may want more masons and probably jewelers up there. Also some wierdo may come along and want a kennel to train vermin pets, and that would be the last spot left.
eep. I just did some redesign to get another two craftsdwarf's workshops in the industry level, and I ended up moving the siege workshop to the upper right. Feedback on the new layout would be appreciated.

It's time to orders import basic and also...
"quickfort run,orders library/dreamfort.csv -n /surface5   # Run when all marked trees on the surface are chopped down and walls and floors have been constructed, including the roof section over the future barracks." Would have been more concise to say after surface4 is completed :P
I might be able to trim this down a bit, but it's important to call out the roof over the barracks. If /surface5 is run before that section is complete (and it's usually the last to be completed) then the barracks beds can't get placed. the blueprint won't fail, the beds just won't show up. It's an easy mistake to make.

!!!***!!! prioritize CustomReaction !!!***!!!
guess who that be, I mean tan a hide is the only reaction missing from the entire friggin list...you can even prioritize beat a prisoner, I love it!
I should run a fort with CustomReaction just always prioritized and see how that goes. Maybe using that sledgehammer to prioritize tanning jobs is good enough.

Autobutcher is a fucking disaster! It butchered everything so fast that half the shit sat and rotted, even with me manually running do now when I could.
I've been running into this as well. Maybe this problem will go away when I figure out how to prioritize hauling food. Otherwise, we could maybe shift building the butchery until later when there are more haulers.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 12:17:02 am by myk »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 29