Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 122

Author Topic: BYOR 15: Game Over - Mafia Win (Kinda?)  (Read 100865 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - The Badge Seller
« Reply #540 on: December 27, 2020, 09:29:49 pm »

PFP

On a side note, I've been reading BYOR 0 for funsies -- and people think that Doll/Dolores and I sound alike? Are you shitting me?!
Hahahahaha. Maybe I've changed over the past few years. Well, I hope you know definitively now that we're not the same person. Love to y'all.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
No way. I don't feel Bookthras at all.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #541 on: December 27, 2020, 09:49:41 pm »

FOU:

"So do you think Tric is town, if you're choosing to give him your buff?"

Reply: I chose Tric out of a whim at that time. So, no. I don't really think he is town and is most likely a third-party role. But I won't vote against him since I don't have a good reason to do so. I would just be jumping the wagon for the sake of it. And also there might be a possible flip and anyone who voted TricMagic will get magnified. Sure, it's townie to vote the most suspicious person who isn't cooperating. But still. I prefer to vote the one I'm mostly suspicious of and right now It's itching a bit to 4maskwolf. But I won't flat out vote on him until I can be very sure.

IcyTea31:

"Ah, I see what's happened. You copied one of my abilities, but it was renamed in the process. "Hydraform" must be just some random name webadict gave it so you wouldn't get too much information about my role. Presumably, your version of the ability you gave me isn't named after song lyrics?"

Reply: Can you tell me the name Webadict gave to one of my ability?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: December 27, 2020, 10:01:37 pm »

And also there might be a possible flip and anyone who voted TricMagic will get magnified. Sure, it's townie to vote the most suspicious person who isn't cooperating. But still. I prefer to vote the one I'm mostly suspicious of and right now It's itching a bit to 4maskwolf. But I won't flat out vote on him until I can be very sure.

Just to remind you, if you're town you should be more focused on looking for scum than worrying about voting someone because you might look suspicious.

Votes aren't like voting for the president, or like Among Us. You can and should change your mind about who you're voting for. A vote demonstrates where your suspicions are right now and helps to create a record of your thoughts.

If you're itching towards 4maskwolf, you should do something like asking him some questions or assembling a claim using evidence (such as his posts).
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: December 27, 2020, 10:29:16 pm »

Leaf
Yes, I am voting for the player I want lynched. I found Tric's behaviour around buying the badge suspicious, and now that Tric has claimed a third party win condition lynching him is a no-brainer. Lynching someone who's guaranteed not to be town (but who could still easily be scum) is a much better option than you normally get on day one.
So are you happy with lynching someone you have literally no reason to think is scum, or do you disagree that Tric would pull this shit as town?

Jim
Lazy, uninspired, low content, anemic scumhunting

I'm seeing this pop up a lot as a reason for voting people on a bunch of different cases. Is there anybody actually having a good Day 1?
NJW. If vector can materialize a good case that'll be a flawless D1 too. heydude isn't lazy/uninspired/lowcontent/anemic, just ignorant (in a way I don't think they could fake). ICT's done a bad job but I don't think the idea behind it is wrong, and I could see the work maturing. The only one of those I think you could accuse me of is being uninspired and maybe a bit wishy-washy.
If you're less town than (some) other players, you're more scum than they are, surely.
Have you considered that maybe you're bad at arguing your case? It's not uncommon (and actually quite frequent) that town players mislynch other town players despite both players best and earnest efforts. Stubbornly asserting that any other player will find you town after sufficient engagement with you is naïve.
Have you considered that maybe you're bad at town/scumhunting? It's not doubtful (it's actually a certainty) that from sufficiently large tracts of interaction, the intentions of the author will emerge as visible. If the players are worse, it'll take longer, but it'll still happen so long as people are willing to sit down and do the work (exhaustive, grinding walls of text and all).
Now, I don't think the Toaster/ICT interaction is long enough or that interesting or that compelling that I'd feel comfortable calling either player town (or scum) over it. But I do find it (strictly) towny (though not very/compellingly/substantively) that Toaster would react the way he would and I think that it's been sloppy and poorly handled by both players but seemingly all done in good faith.
Oh, so you are a third party. Neato. TricMagic.
How lazy. You're clearly capable of looking at the game and what's happening in it. Got any suspicions besides TricMagic?
[4]: How satisfied are we talking here?

Pretty satisfied. If TricMagic were more forthcoming about what their alignment was I might be less satisfied but since they're trying to dodge questions related to that I don't feel that bad about the lynch.
Plan to develop anything to help you after he flips, or have you been in a rush to end D1 just because you're so eager to start completely from scratch on D2? You clearly consider early-mid D1 a big muddy mess that you don't want to have to reread or consider very useful, so isn't it especially bad to end on that?

Real posts to come on 4maskwolf and then Toony

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: December 27, 2020, 10:44:30 pm »

Spoiler: Basic reads (click to show/hide)
My reads are done. Expect more interactivity tomorrow.
I'm not going to third-guess myself trying to find deeper signs of scumminess than this on D1.

Heydude6, Luckyowl: We have 4 mafia confirmed, and you're my top town picks. Who are your top 4 scum picks?

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: December 27, 2020, 10:48:44 pm »

Okay, time to stop procrastinating and post that longform reads list. Let's start with an easy one
the
FoU: Was all over the place in the first part of D1. Making a lot of posts with very little content. Now FoU's being a little more focused and making actual attempts at scumhunting. I'm leaning town for now

Dolores: Not really a fan of their playstyle, but they do seem to care about actually scumhunting, and forming good cases. I like the reads they gave even if I don't completely agree with them. Townread

Vector: Came to hut scum, and that's been their primary focus this entire time. Is also encouraging others to build their own cases and is trying to help the newer players out when they can. My strongest townread so far.

NQT: Hasn't really posted much but I do like what he has posted. Hoping he'll be more active D2 and perhaps confirm my read, but for now slight town lean

heydude6: Has a very open and honest playstyle. I don't think that they would be playing that way as scum, their buddies would be telling him to rein it in. I don't think that they were lying when they said that they were targeted with the ability. Does seem to be making an honest effort to scumhunt.  I don't really like their case on NQT but it doesn't seem like a contrived case to me. Townread

TricMagic: Confirmed third party at this point. Isn't really interested in helping town hunt scum, and only wants to get hats, even if that means killing a possible townie.

LuckyOwl: Is playing in a very noobish way. I highly doubt that they are scum playing the way that they are, so townread

IcyTea: While my initial read on them was third party, after going over their posts again I'm not as certain. They seem to be trying to poke into people's minds to see how they think, and basing their judgements from that information. While i don't necessarily agree with all of his logic, he doesn't really seem to be as anti-town as I initially thought he was. However, I'm not as sure that they're not lying about being targeted by the ability heydude6 mentioned. I also don't really like the case they make on Toaster. The way I see it they don't like that Toaster is continuing to pressure them based on what Toaster sees as a slip, and is also upset that Toaster doesn't believe that they're town. At this point I'm null on them.

Toaster: Toaster is also doing a decnt job scumhunting. They've been pressuring several people, and was one of the main people pressuring IcyTea until TricMagic presented themselves as a better target. Townread

Toonyman: Has posted quite a bit but hasn't really posted very much of use. Pressured Dolores a little bit then switched to Tricmagic once they outed themselves, but has done little else of note. Leaning scum

4mask: Similar to what I've said about NQT, they haven't been very active but they have made some decent posts when they are active. Has somewhat of a case on Toonyman, which I think deserves to be followed up on. Leaning town

JimGroovester: Seems a bit out of sorts, don't remember them being like this in BP3. Idk if it's because of other things that are going on or because of an alignment shift, so I'm nullreading until I get more info.

NJW: Has made some decent posts, asked some decent questions, and been putting pressure on several people. Leaning town

Leafsnail: Hasn't posted very much, but has posted in a way that implies that they have been paying attention to what's going on, so I think they should have a little bit more to say about it. Has gone after TricMagic and is suspicious of Vector because of an answer they gave to a question about IcyTea's slip that they think was noncommittal. Scumlean

Nirur Torir: Has made some good posts, but their reluctance to join a bandwagon seems odd. Null for right now

That took way longer than I thought it would. My analysis is based mostly on the posts made before Webadict posted the lurkertracker. I attempted to take posts made after that into consideration, but I may have overlooked some things.

Right now I would put Jim, Nirur, Toonyman, and Leafsnail as my scumteam.

Toonyman, Given that a 4 person mafia team has been confirmed, who are your other suspects for the mafia team? Who's your strongest townread and why? Do you consider IcyTea's slip to be an actual slip, or do you think they were just fishing for reactions?

Leafsnail, can you answer the first two questions I posed to Toonyman as well? Also, has Vector done anything else that strikes you as suspicious?

Nirur Torir, why are you so afraid of vote shenanigans? Even if they were present, why worry about them at a point where we can easily switch our votes to play around them?

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: December 27, 2020, 10:49:58 pm »

If I've missed any questions, can you please ask them again? I've kinda been preoccupied with my reads list and don't remember if I've been asked anything.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: December 27, 2020, 11:00:38 pm »

@NJW2000:
Why is the possibility that Heydude is scum and worried that a townie sent the contract (forcing him to reveal it immediately) so hard to grasp?
Sure, it's possible. My stance is that I don't think that's true. I understand your argument towards me.

Do you know he's town? Did you send the contract yourself, and thus find it difficult to envision someone calling him out for holding on to the information?
No it's not 100%, but I'm still siding with the feeling he's not mafia. I'm generally going to be suspicious of most people, but having some anti-mafia feels isn't the end of the world. No I didn't send the contract. Whoever did this clearly doesn't want to claim or they would have.

NJW2000 there's some things I'd like to know what you think, what are your feelings towards dolores? Towards Vector? Towards Leafsnail? I'm pretty curious what you think of them.

@4maskwolf:
Leafsnail feels like a combination between old-school "tunnel at cases from untouched angles" Leafsnail with Para 25 "low effort" Leafsnail.  Don't have enough experience with him to know what exactly that means.  Moving him down to my neutral pile for now.
It's either he's genuinely busy or he's quiet because he's scum. I'm thinking the latter.

@FallacyofUrist:
ToonyMan: Do you have anything solid on the recent proceedings to offer currently?
Yep, I'd like to make a reads list of everyone before the day ends. Should be at the bottom of this post once I get down there.

I feel like notquitethere, dolores, heydude, and Vector have been working solidly in the town's interests, though of course I'll reevaluate this as the game goes on.
While NQT's vote analysis is helpful for town, it's a null read for him I feel.

@Tricmagic:
I looked at those but none of those strike me as unfriendly to the scum team, which is what TricMagic claimed.
It wasn't? Kinda felt like it with the votes coming in and pressure being applied.
Also, what did I claim? Friendliness? No Bonk negates kills made by the wearer, so it's an option to buy it and give it to another?
Indeed. If you had picked No Bonk instead then we could have all openly bought a badge and stuck it onto someone else in a big loop chain. Sure it probably would have ran into problems because of shenanigans, but it could potentially stop kills from going off at night. You ignored my question where I asked you about this.

@Leafsnail:
Leafsnail:  Do you have anything on anyone other than Tric?  I saw you mention Vector, but you've not done a damn thing to develop that.  Why?
Think I'm going to +1 Toaster here. Leafsnail you haven't interacted with anyone besides TricMagic and Vector (barely). Why?

I'm going to bold people I've interacted with more, feel free to point out anything.

Reads, from most town to most scum:

ToonyMan, I'm town
gap
Heydude - contract logic, is also giving huge reads on everyone which I like
Luckyowl - newb
NJW2000 - I think we're getting some good insight out of them...hopefully
Nirur Torir - seems okay?
Vector - feel like they're buddying me, does throw shade on me, but seems calculated
dolores - typing a lot of words, don't know, does claim a secondary wincon
NQT - pretty quiet, he'd do a vote analysis regardless, scum lean
Toaster - same boat as Vector, I think they're more suspicious but I agree with their IcyTea argument
4maskwolf - seems like they're trying? scum lean
Juicebox - barely know they exist, scum lean
IcyTea - dumbly voted themselves, contract logic makes me more suspicious of them then Heydude, feel like they're lying a lot
UristofFallacy - playing bad should know better?
Jim Groovester - lazy lazy lazy
Leafsnail - too quiet, hiding something?
TricMagic - has no interest in the town, defeatist logic that everyone voting them is scum, don't do this

PPE:
Looks like we're getting reads from other players and Juicebox is here, nice.

@Juicebox:
Toonyman, Given that a 4 person mafia team has been confirmed, who are your other suspects for the mafia team? Who's your strongest townread and why? Do you consider IcyTea's slip to be an actual slip, or do you think they were just fishing for reactions?
Sure. If I had to pick the 4 person mafia team right now it'd be one of two sets:

The obvious team:
Leafsnail, Jim Groovester, UristofFallacy, IcyTea

The wildcard team:
Leafsnail, IcyTea, Vector or dolores, Toaster or Vector

Do you consider IcyTea's slip to be an actual slip, or do you think they were just fishing for reactions?
I did laugh at him to get more of a response, but I'm not entirely sure it's a slip. I would be voting him over TricMagic if I was that confident.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: December 27, 2020, 11:01:10 pm »

That done, my mechanical vote is now on TricMagic, where my spiritual vote already was. He's a third party hostile to town, bribes or not, and I don't have any other scum reads stronger than people being overly passive over Christmas weekend.

I expect I'll poke people more before the day's over, but I don't currently have the energy to ask questions deeper than prompting people to do stuff. Which my reads should do adequately anyway.

Nirur Torir, why are you so afraid of vote shenanigans? Even if they were present, why worry about them at a point where we can easily switch our votes to play around them?
I can imagine a SK with a one-shot day ability that lowers the hammer number, or who doubles the vote of everyone who says a specific name, etc. Not voting before posting my reads was an easy work around. Nobody else cares, so I'll vote now that I've finished my self-set goal.

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: December 27, 2020, 11:08:12 pm »

I should have done this in my earlier post, voting Leafsnail

Thanks for the quick response Toonyman I appreciate that.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: December 27, 2020, 11:18:26 pm »

Oh look, webadict updated something and fixed a bunch of weird bugs! Is that...  a count I spot next to each name? And does the Hammer and Day end message automatically get added now? Yes. Yes it does. And that means that Mamobo is no longer sick, so it will be giving Vote Counts from now on! Who even knows what's next!? Remember, if you want more details in these, let me know!

Vote Count
------------------------
4maskwolf - 0 -
dolores - 0 -
FallacyofUrist - 1 - heydude6*,
heydude6 - 0 -
IcyTea31 - 1 - FallacyofUrist*,
Jim Groovester - 1 - TricMagic*,
juicebox - 1 - Luckyowl*,
Leafsnail - 2 - notquitethere*, juicebox*,
Luckyowl - 0 -
Nirur Torir - 0 -
NJW2000 - 0 -
notquitethere - 0 -
Toaster - 1 - IcyTea31*,
ToonyMan - 2 - 4maskwolf*, dolores*,
TricMagic - 6 - Nirur Torir*, Leafsnail*, ToonyMan*, Vector*, Jim Groovester*, Toaster*,
Vector - 0 -
No Lynch -

Not Voting - NJW2000*,

9 to Hammer. Day ends on December 29, 2020 at 19:00 CST (~44 hours remaining).

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: December 28, 2020, 12:42:14 am »

webadict (regarding mamobo/votecounts): I'd like it if each votecount could include a link to the previous one, so that you can cycle back through them easily the way you can with e.g. archived cyclical generals. This is pretty far from essential though since I can just go through your/mamobo/whoever's doing the votecount's posts without it anyway.

4maskwolf - lurking with an RVS vote when the game has moved on long ago. I actually think I've played with this player before and although they're usually somewhat disengaged, it's not this disengaged. This read is softer than the other ones on the list.
He is (or was) when he's scum, at least in my experience (holy fuck that game was two and a half years ago).
I'll review 2.5-year-old-scum!4maskwolf and compare it to BYOR15!4maskwolf before I post this.

Okay, 4maskwolf is being lazier scum in this game than that one. To be fair, he's a lot less visible because there are plenty of strong players and more players and a billion annoying mechanics rather than being one of the IC's in a BM game, but that's the synopsis I'll give of BYOR15!4maskwolf: lazy scum

4maskwolf
(I expect to prefer a ToonyMan lynch but haven't reviewed his posts yet to say that with any confidence. I do have unresolved questions I want 4maskwolf to answer. At this stage, I think 4maskwolf and ToonyMan being scum together is very possible and maybe even likely).
Having gone through all that, I'm reasonably convinced 4maskwolf doesn't give a shit about anyone's alignment. I'm going to double down on saying he's probably scum. If you read the above, you can probably guess some of these, but here are unresolved concerns I have with 4maskwolf
4maskwolf: any strong impressions from toaster/jim/toony/vector/njw (the players besides FoU with longform responses) so far?
It's D1, so by definition no.  Gun to my head, neutral/scum/neutral/slight town/neutral in that order, plus town on you.
Why did you never vote Jim or ask him any questions? Unlike your townread on vector, you didn't qualify this. Was this a hard (scum)read on Jim?
dolores: His first post just came across as odd to me, is all.  I'm afraid I don't have a big dissertation on why he's scum or anything (or at least not one that's easily stateable), I just got bad vibes off the first post.  I had a similar thought about Toony but his later posts were better in my eyes and left him at neutral.
So why did you never follow it up? You bring up a temporary scumread on Toonyman you've mentioned literally no-where else (this substantially predates your current case) and didn't follow up on, and your original and sustained scumread you haven't touched one bit. You're literally never interacted with Jim except to call him scum in third person.
Scum: Jim Groovester
Why aren't you voting your only scumread?
4maskwolf: where are you? Can you elaborate on what you think about your 'People of interest' (heydude, IcyTea, FallacyOfUrist, ToonyMan)
You've posted since both of these and responded to neither of them.

Toonyman

I had a note in my file to go read through Toonyman's posts and see what I thought of them, and there... really isn't much to talk about, despite having a fairly normal post count and several reasonably long posts.  I only found three posts with anything of value, which I've listed below, but in summary: he thinks heydude's actions are anti-mafia, he thinks heydude and icy aren't on the same scumteam, and he has a small reads list in his most recent megapost.  I'm excluding the meta bickering with dolores because frankly it's just uninteresting butting of heads, and the rest of it is just various mockery, grumbling, and aggravation.  His early posts in the thread were thoroughly uninspired, little more than jumping on the spastic newbies and asking a couple customary RVS questions before following the spazzes down the rabbithole.  As mentioned, his most recent megapost feels better, but all in all he still feels like a scum phoning in D1.
I think this case is bullshit. Toonyman had a good RVS and the parts where he butts heads with me over meta issues when we think we're seeing things relevant to the game are beleivable reasons for town!ToonyMan to do things. My problems with ToonyMan are specifically (in order of my personal concern): the way he's conducted himself in NJW's followup to his slip when talking about heydude6, his slip when talking about heydude6 (itself), and the fact that his activity has died down (this is much less true now than when I was calling him scum before and when you made this post).
What do you think about ToonyMan now? What do you think about the slip specfically (the idea that ToonyMan seems to have posted about heydude6 being anti-mafia prematurely as if he knew that heydude6 was town)? What do you think about his responses to NJW following him up on it? Why is ToonyMan more in need of being voted than Jim, your original scumread which you've never disavowed?
Why haven't you asked ToonyMan (who you think is scum and are voting) or Jim (who you've consistently called scum but never followed up with) any questions or done anything to get either of them to elaborate on any of the things that make you think they might be scum?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: December 28, 2020, 01:49:49 am »

PFP

On a side note, I've been reading BYOR 0 for funsies -- and people think that Doll/Dolores and I sound alike? Are you shitting me?!
Hahahahaha. Maybe I've changed over the past few years. Well, I hope you know definitively now that we're not the same person. Love to y'all.
No way. I don't feel Bookthras at all.

Same. Bookthras had a very distinct style and dolores doesn't come anywhere near resembling it.

Jim

That one is mostly gut, which is why I opened with it, but when you put it alongside the other more substantial stuff I said, it becomes more plausible. You rarely find scum through one big slip-up, it’s more so done through piecing together a bunch of pieces that seem ‘off’ into one big picture.

I don't agree. Even if you had an airtight case on notquitethere I still would be leery about baseless conjecture in support of it.

Would you like to tackle the other two points I made then since you clearly have an opinion on them? People aren't engaging with my post as much as I'd like them too, so here's a chance for you to show the rest of the town how it's done.

You don't like his evaluation of other people's cases, which is... whatever. You don't have to like other people's reasonings and I don't think much of it one way or the other.

And you also don't like him rolefishing, which I don't agree with since people were discussing and freely offering information about their roles.

I suppose in sum total I don't think much of your case on notquitethere at all.

Have you considered that maybe you're bad at town/scumhunting?

I'd give you some sass and ask what I did to earn insults like this.

But I know what I did, and I have it coming, but I don't regret it.

Have you considered that maybe you're bad at arguing your case? It's not uncommon (and actually quite frequent) that town players mislynch other town players despite both players best and earnest efforts. Stubbornly asserting that any other player will find you town after sufficient engagement with you is naïve.
Have you considered that maybe you're bad at town/scumhunting? It's not doubtful (it's actually a certainty) that from sufficiently large tracts of interaction, the intentions of the author will emerge as visible. If the players are worse, it'll take longer, but it'll still happen so long as people are willing to sit down and do the work (exhaustive, grinding walls of text and all).

This isn't true, otherwise town would never mislynch each other, even in games where walls of text are the norm.

Now, I don't think the Toaster/ICT interaction is long enough or that interesting or that compelling that I'd feel comfortable calling either player town (or scum) over it. But I do find it (strictly) towny (though not very/compellingly/substantively) that Toaster would react the way he would and I think that it's been sloppy and poorly handled by both players but seemingly all done in good faith.

Okay.

How lazy. You're clearly capable of looking at the game and what's happening in it. Got any suspicions besides TricMagic?

I still suspect IcyTea31 for what I explained several posts ago (self-vote + bizarre confidence that people should find him town even despite making poor plays). My suspicion is in direct proportion to how much I think he should know better, and I haven't quite decided whether I think he should or not.

Vector is pinging my scumdar for suspecting people but not pursuing them but a lot of other stuff she is saying is making sense.

NJW2000 comes across to me as weakly poking people but I don't have any specific complaints about their play.

I remember Leafsnail being more of a lion and more of a presence than he's currently displaying. I have not played with him in a while, however.

I don't have much of an opinion on anybody else.

Oh, so you are a third party. Neato. TricMagic.
[4]: How satisfied are we talking here?

Pretty satisfied. If TricMagic were more forthcoming about what their alignment was I might be less satisfied but since they're trying to dodge questions related to that I don't feel that bad about the lynch.
Plan to develop anything to help you after he flips, or have you been in a rush to end D1 just because you're so eager to start completely from scratch on D2? You clearly consider early-mid D1 a big muddy mess that you don't want to have to reread or consider very useful, so isn't it especially bad to end on that?

I am engaged in the game but not enough to prepare for a Day 2 when Day 1 isn't even over yet.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: December 28, 2020, 01:53:24 am »

Alright, I know I've put together some reasons for a solid vote on IcyTea before, but let me actually compile a solid case now. Like, really dense.

To summarize: I think IcyTea has been primarily reactionary all game. Which I know is only one day so far, but it's been a day bigger than some entire mafia games, so cut me some slack.

RVS phase:
IcyTea first votes for themselves. I wouldn't call this scummy in itself, but it's absolutely a contributing factor because of how it relates to what IcyTea didn't do - use their vote for pressure tactics. Or... basically, perform any direct pressuring on players in the RVS phase at all. Questions? There were a good few. But no offensive questions, if that makes sense.

Town don't know my alignment, so they'll pursue me in good faith and, assuming competence, will eventually realize that I'm town and stop pursuing me after putting in just the right amount of effort. Scum know that I'm town, so they have to simulate the same, but don't have the same good faith and don't know for sure when to stop, either letting me off too easy or pushing even in the face of certain proof.
I don't like this in particular. It feels like it makes too many assumptions. 'Assuming competence', which town won't always have in the first place. Without a lot of good fortune, we're probably going to mislynch at least one player. Tea's correct that scum have to simulate being town, but sometimes they do a good job and go unnoticed, and you have to account for that too. You can't just assume that being town will mean you won't be lynched. If you're town, the best way to not be lynched is to make sure the mafia is lynched instead of you. Not this passive 'aura of towniness' stuff, and it feels like a player as experienced as IcyTea should know this.

Also, this.
Because not listening to people is how one loses this game as town, and I have knowledge town doesn't have. It seems to me that the only reason you'd have no reason to listen to me is if I don't have knowledge that you don't as well.
It's not definitive, but it doesn't sit right. Maybe a town player would be more likely to use phrasing like 'information that isn't public'? Instead of setting yourself apart?

I'm finding this Day 1 exhausting already and the sooner it ends the better.
Are you really willing to hand the initiative to scum simply because it's "exhausting" for town to win?
The good-ol 'Jim Groovester is scummy for being impatient' argument, which I'm definitely going to look into come Day 2, but IcyTea doesn't bother to use their vote to emphasize this. Not even a Finger of Suspicion.

Attack on Heydude:

As far as I can tell, not actually based on behavioral scumminess, just a bunch of nonsense about a 'contract' power? I know a rules infraction was involved here so I'd prefer not to look into it too deeply.

Attack on Toaster:

Roles might not be alignment-indicative, but I'll say the role name is a really damning one.
That bit I underlined: you really think a role name a player submitted before the game started is going to have any influence on their alignment?
This was a breadcrumb to tell that I knew what was in the contract before its real text was posted, because the name in question literally is damning. If you read the whole sentence, you'd know I don't. Is looking for "slips" all you do on D1?

In fact, if you care who I suspect and where my vote is so much, let's put it on you: Toaster. If you're not going to develop your cases to ascertain their truths and don't even care about figuring out factual matters, I don't see how your mindset is in anyway town-sided.

This is the closest thing to an actual bit of scumhunting that IcyTea's done. But it's still entirely reactionary. Toaster pokes IcyTea repeatedly and gets voted for it. IcyTea would be right to vote someone for 'not going to develop your cases to ascertain your truths and don't even care about figuring out factual matters', but Toaster was doing development right in the post IcyTea quoted, asking IcyTea to tell him who they suspected to be scum. It almost feels like a more sophisticated OMGUS.

So still not an actual solid, developed case from IcyTea, just a reactionary vote.

I could even understand bad cases, as long as they were detailed and had reasons behind them. But this isn't building cases, this is purely reacting to what's happening without making an effort to actively seek out the scum. Perhaps Toaster is hunting weakly, but that's still hunting. Compared to IcyTea's lack thereof.

IcyTea still has not moved their vote from Toaster, and it's nearing the final part of the first Day. Surely there's a better option by now, or more evidence to vote Toaster to use?

Hydraform defensiveness:

This also put you in a spotlight because I gave you a copy of my ability ontop of your 'hydraform' which I already said many post ago.
Ah, I see what's happened. You copied one of my abilities, but it was renamed in the process. "Hydraform" must be just some random name webadict gave it so you wouldn't get too much information about my role. Presumably, your version of the ability you gave me isn't named after song lyrics?
This reeks. 'Hydraform must be just some random name webadict gave it so you wouldn't get too much information about my role'. As well as 'You copied one of my abilities'... but that's quite clearly not what LuckyOwl said. In that exact quote, LuckyOwl said 'I gave you a copy of my ability' (presumably grafted onto one of IcyTea's abilities), not 'I copied one of your abilities'. IcyTea is floundering, trying to make it seem like LuckyOwl's information about IcyTea having Hydraform is incorrect. It's incredibly defensive and IcyTea is still not bothering to construct a solid case on Toaster at all.

So yeah. I'm very certain we're looking at scum or hostile third party here. IcyTea31. The question is, who's their buddies?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: December 28, 2020, 01:56:46 am »

Hey Wubba -- when you get a chance, I'd appreciate a LurkerTracker. I've got some work to do.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 122