Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Give Cats [EVIL] Token And I Am Actually Serious  (Read 1015 times)

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
Give Cats [EVIL] Token And I Am Actually Serious
« on: February 06, 2021, 05:06:42 am »

https://www.scmp.com/yp/discover/lifestyle/features/article/3071676/13-reasons-why-cats-are-just-plain-evil

https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/the-terrifying-signs-your-cat-wants-to-kill-you.html/

I know that [EVIL] restricts creatures to evil biomes but here is the thing: In the upcoming magic update some spells would be meant to repel evil and would work well on [EVIL] token creatures. I propose adding to the game new tokens [NO_GOOD_REGION], [NO_EVIL_REGION] and [NO_IMMORAL_REGION]. Each one of them restricts creature from spawning in biomes as following: good, evil and neutral (morally ambiguous).

Entity tokens for using good/evil animals should work as they already do. New tokens could be added related to using creatures that are not evil but restricted to use evil biomes and the same could be said about good creatures.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
Re: Give Cats [EVIL] Token And I Am Actually Serious
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 06:15:02 am »

Give Humans [EVIL] Token And I Am Actually Serious

Sorry but this is elvish. (Like those articles, if one would take them seriously. ) No natural animal is good or evil. This is just humans that can't accept animals being not completely obedient.

But I think the new tokens are a good idea.
If this was click-bait for your token idea you succeeded :D

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 06:32:01 am »

You know the game is made by a cat lover, right? The head bumps, the licking, the bringing back of vermin remains to their masters, the legendary climbing skill...

Hey Tarn, make cats Evil. Yeah, not very likely.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 02:37:28 am »

No natural animal is good or evil.
From a human perspective, we judge animals as being good or evil almost entirely based on whether or not the animal kills creatures that it has no intention of eating. Tigers are obviously far more dangerous than snakes or spiders, but they eat pretty much whatever they kill, and AFAIK kill only to eat. Snakes & spiders, on the other hand, obviously don't eat people (only a couple of snakes are even capable), but they kill us all the same.

As the 1st link in the OP points out, cats, even well-fed house cats, can and DO routinely kill small animals purely for fun, and take a long time to do so. I know that having any alignment other than True Neutral is dependent on sentience & some concept of morality, but intelligence is a slippery slope, and cats are definitely smart enough to have distinct personalities, so yes, cats can indeed be mildly Evil. And this is coming from a cat owner, head-bumps and all.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 02:54:43 am »

Cats, considering the size of their prey, and hunting alone, are always in hunting mode in nature. Being well fed by us won't override that.

https://icatcare.org/understanding-the-hunting-behaviour-of-pet-cats-an-introduction/

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 09:27:32 am »

From a human perspective, we judge animals as being good or evil almost entirely based on whether or not the animal kills creatures that it has no intention of eating.
Maybe you do. Speak for yourself, man.

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 01:26:52 pm »

they're not evil they're just contrarians haha. add a [WANTS_WHAT_CANT_HAVE] token :p
'ere the Chias get hungry...

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 03:56:21 pm »

Add a [sheds:<material token>:frequency] tag!
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 01:14:21 pm »

I know that having any alignment other than True Neutral is dependent on sentience & some concept of morality, but intelligence is a slippery slope, and cats are definitely smart enough to have distinct personalities, so yes, cats can indeed be mildly Evil. And this is coming from a cat owner, head-bumps and all.

Grimelings have no brains and the NOTHOUGHT tag, so presumably have no personality, but they have the EVIL tag. Same with evil plants.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 04:33:21 am »

The GOOD and EVIL tokens have nothing to do with creature behavior; they simply designate biome and pet exclusivity (and are likely to be phased out in the magic arc anyway).

That being said, I would like to see more impact of personality traits on non-sapient creature behavior, and more animals with non-neutral base personality distribution.  Cats could have above-average CRUELTY, which would make them more likely to hunt weaker creatures for enjoyment and play with their injured prey.

(Of course, in reality it's less that cats are "cruel", and more that they are predators with enough intelligence to make them enjoy play behavior in general, but lack the empathy that would cause them to see living beings as not being legitimate "toys".  But in game terms, that could be simulated by the CRUELTY trait.)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2021, 01:28:36 pm »

This is also never going to happen because Toady is a cat lover, and takes offense at all the jokes about killing cats that the game already has.  He's never going to make it so cats can only live in undead-soaked blood-rain biomes of pure hell.

Those article titles are just sensationalist click-bait nonsense, and you should stop falling for them so that people declaring dogs are actually pure evil for attention will finally stop happening.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare