Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Even Better Hangman  (Read 1388 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • light
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Even Better Hangman
« on: February 19, 2021, 04:04:18 pm »

There can now be multiple games going. @username to specify who you are guessing for.

Spoiler: DONT LOOK (click to show/hide)

_  _ _ _  _ _ _
Awesome With Autism

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Even Better Hangman
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 04:31:28 pm »

(Looks, from subtle spacing, like a multiword. I suggest something like "_ / _ _ _ / _ _ _" be the format, if it is. Also, number of wrong guesses allowed? Original thread gave 10, other thread gave 5, I think, at least at one point, but a 'fair' number would be based upon how many gaps to fill, at least. Not sure by what formula, until I run some sums.)

Guess @roseheart: T

Here's one from me, if anyone wants it: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (=one semi-random true dictionary word, purely alphabetic; and let's say 7 wrong guesses for its seven characters, but I actually think it'll narrow down comfortably enough)
Spoiler: Answer (click to show/hide)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • light
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 05:59:26 pm »

split the dif go 7

_ / _ _ _ / _ _ _

O

Incorrect Guesses: T

Guess @Starver: S
Awesome With Autism

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 06:57:55 pm »

My puzzle:  _ _ _ _ _ _ S

(0/7 incorrect guesses).

Not gonna reply on yours, immediately. Leaving room for others to come in with less silly guesses, first. ;)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • light
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 12:54:08 am »

Guess @Starver: T
Awesome With Autism

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 02:54:56 am »

O

1/7 incorrect guesses: T.

Guess @roseheart: A (as nobody else jumped in)

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 07:28:37 am »

Guess @roseheart:  A

Guess @starver:   E

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 07:44:41 am »

(Yay!)

Code: [Select]
O
 |
2/7 incorrect guesses: T, E

(Awww...)

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 07:48:29 am »

Currently, the norm is to put the answer in spoiler tags when starting a game, which serves as a honor system to stop people from changing the answer mid-game. A better solution to this potential problem might be to write down the sha-256 hash of the answer when starting the game. Maybe even just the first few characters for brevity.

Maybe it's too impractical, but I can never resist opening the "don't look" boxes, and my inner nerd likes cryptographic solutions more than honor-based ones. :)
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021, 07:51:14 am »

Guess @starver:    O

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 08:01:20 am »

I'm not participating myself, but I wanna say this: I have a hunch that we're gonna see some one-upmanship in Hangman variants. Each new version of Hangman ends up extending the last one further and further with more and more features. First we had serial (1 game at a time) Hangman, now we've ended up with parallel (but only 1 game at a time per person) Hangman. What next?

Personally, I think that'd be hilarious, if only to see how much bloat people are willing to deal with.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • light
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2021, 08:34:23 am »

I'm not participating myself, but I wanna say this: I have a hunch that we're gonna see some one-upmanship in Hangman variants. Each new version of Hangman ends up extending the last one further and further with more and more features. First we had serial (1 game at a time) Hangman, now we've ended up with parallel (but only 1 game at a time per person) Hangman. What next?

Personally, I think that'd be hilarious, if only to see how much bloat people are willing to deal with.
Well I've always enjoyed iterating upon my games, and with simple ones like this it's even easier and faster. That said I do lock my old threads so it is just 1 at a time. Maybe it will be 3D Hangman @.@

Currently, the norm is to put the answer in spoiler tags when starting a game, which serves as a honor system to stop people from changing the answer mid-game. A better solution to this potential problem might be to write down the sha-256 hash of the answer when starting the game. Maybe even just the first few characters for brevity.

Maybe it's too impractical, but I can never resist opening the "don't look" boxes, and my inner nerd likes cryptographic solutions more than honor-based ones. :)
Spoiler: DON'T LOOK (click to show/hide)

_ / _ _ _ / _ _ _

O
|

Incorrect Guesses: AT

Guess @Starver: S
Guess @Secretdorf: U
Awesome With Autism

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2021, 09:03:44 am »

My puzzle:  _ _ _ _ _O_ S

O
 |
2/7 incorrect guesses: T, E

...I considered ROT13ing[1], within the spoiler. Very few people can read that accidentally, but it ought to be easy to deliberately en/decode as necessary. And I had to resist the urge to reply to the OP (to investigate the spaces; instead I fiddled with text-selection cursor, which is a bit awkward on my touch-screen) bcause it would have shown up straight, to me.

I think there's any number of refinements to be made, but probably only as the need arises. I'm not sure if we've hungmen much/at all on Bay12 before, without searching, but this possible splurge has only just happened and may become perfect or abandoned fairly quickly.

[1] Or almost any other ROT. I hear Triple-ROT26 is used a lot!

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • light
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2021, 11:57:19 am »

I'll just die and go to heaven, if people start displaying congratulation images of the guessed word when they win.

Guess @Starver: Y
Awesome With Autism

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2021, 12:26:05 pm »

My puzzle:  _ _ _ _ _O_ S

O
/|
3/7 incorrect guesses: T, E, Y

An image 0 my word? Hmm... I'll have to think about what would illustrate it best. At the moment I'm... unsure.
Pages: [1] 2 3