Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Anime Arms Race The Provina Confederation - Deployment 4  (Read 2655 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Anime Arms Race The Provina Confederation - Deployment 4
« on: November 06, 2021, 10:14:43 pm »

Team B! The most B Team there is! First order of business is deciding a name for your nation.

Second order of business is deciding the layout for the 7 Steps on your side. Since there is way too many of those you can be generic, mostly they will interact with Traits.

Third order of business is deciding your Leader. As a reminder your Leader is like the King in chess, starts out with 20 Power, and has traits that give bonuses to all your units. Their description likely explains the basics of what your nation is design wise.

Fourth order of business is deciding your three starting Supporting Units. These three will be at 5 Power at the start and assumed to consist of your entire armed forces at the start of the war.

After that, it is time to start the game for real!

Map:
        AC
A1     A2     A3
A4     A5     A6
B4     B5     B6
B1     B2     B3
        BC

Example Unit Sheet:
Name:
Description:
Traits:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 08:57:59 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
Re: Anime Arms Race Team B - Start Phase
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 07:38:12 am »

Eh screw it, why not join this? What could go wrong?

Right. So, thinking about things I kind of want something fantasy but not too far as it were. In other words, I'm thinking something more Victorian, yet still with plenty of fantasy elements... Maybe some Studio Ghibli style steampunk? Something to think about...

For the name of the nation/team I don't know, however I do think I know the layout our side could have...Though I want to actually see other players before I throw over any real proper idea's, as it's best to have the theme solidified first. But I'd quite like some flying islands and or some ancient ruins... I also have a idea for the leader and the starting forces, though again, first want to hear other peoples thoughts. Friendly reminder we are the offensive side, so we can either double down on being the 'badguy' or we can decide to try and have it be more tragic kind of grey vs grey thing...

Again though, need input from others first ideally so this doesn't just become a single player arms race for me. 
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 09:57:51 pm »

...Well since no one else is here suggesting anything and I have nothing better to do...

Name: The Provina Confederation.

The Provina Confederation is a fairly autonomous union made up of a few kingdoms, duchies, and republics in the lands of Provina, the most prominent nations being Eisenkrone, Helderzee, Starkebrisen and Alverlon. They are mainly united due to economic and political reasons, however the similar culture and languages that all but Alverlon share aids their bonds, however Helderzee is somewhat divergent from the others. The main species of the Provina Confederation are Katzarin (a human like people with cat like features), Verhal (A agile human like people with crow wings who can see in the dark), Verstark, (A tall strong human like people with raven wings who can see in the dark), Wolrin (A human like people with wolf features), and Humans. The Katzarin are prevalent in Eisenkrone and Helderzee while the Verhal and Verstark are prevalent in Starkebrisen. Alverlon is mainly made up of Humans and Wolrin. They have struck their northern neighbor due to declining relations, need for further resources, and the manipulation behind the political scene by a mysterious mastermind playing the leaders like pawns... It is also important to note that the Confederation is allied to a nation known as the Unirea Aripilor daur, made up of Balaur (Tall Human like people with dragon traits, including wings, who only eat meat.), Drakon (Tall Human like people with dragon traits, not including wings, who eat meat and metal) , and Virm (Tall Dragonic like Naga folk who's top half is mostly humanlike, and is the only omnivorus of the three.). However their alliance is a defensive one, though in the future their ally might send volunteer forces...

B4 is Starkbreezen Hill lands. Mainly rocky and grassy hills and caves dot the terrain with occasional settlements.
B1 is Starkbreezen Mountan Lands. Tall imposing mountains with the occasional city or town of Verhal and Verstark who fly about the place with ease.
B5 is Eisenkrone farmlands, filled with farms and fields, with a number of more grassy hills in the west near Starkbreezen territory, it's capital upon a small mountain surrounded by these hills, though other than this small area most of the place is mostly flat ground.
B2 is Alverlon Ruins, a strange place where the Pravian Empire once was seated. Strange magics and technologies are hidden away here.
B6 is Helderzee lowlands, a fairly costal area with a number of islands and shores.
B3 is Alverlon Floating islands. A number of flying islands and the cities on top of them connected by airships and bridges, with a vast sea below them.
BC is Veloxflumine, a city made many years ago back in the day of the Pravian Empire, reduced to a city state and in decline for many years until the Confederation formed. Now it serves as the political capital of the alliance, and where the members of the confederation meet.

Leader: Amber Hawkins

Amber Hawkins was born to a noble family in Alverlon, years before the confederation was even dreamed of. Her family was in control of a couple of counties, but otherwise nothing too special. She grew up similarly to any other at the time would, with little say in her life however, she in her free time always watched and tried to learn from their families spymaster, whom she slowly gained a friendship with. Of course such things weren't to last as her duty to her family meant she was married off to some duke when she came of age, a duke that she didn't exactly care for. However, luck would have it, the particular duke in question was quite a fan of Banquettes and other party's, which let Amber meet a lot of people, and one of those people had an offer she couldn't refuse, the only payment was blood...She managed to hide the fact she had turned into a vampire quite well and started making moves to further gain influence, utilizing every trick in the book, both diplomatic pen and deceptive intrigue and underhanded moves. However a minor tragedy struck when her family found themselves the victims of an assassination plot, one she did not know of until it was too late. Needless to say, she found the one who did such a thing and mercilessly dealt with them before ruling over her newly inherited lands and continuing to expand her influence, eventually even removing her 'master' that turned her initially. However, these plans would be cut short by a scholar who drove her into hiding away and entering a slumber for hundreds of years...When she awoke things were drastically different from what she remembered. However her skills had not gotten rusty, and the stash of valuables and other such things was still intact and not stolen from her. So, she utilized the skills she gained from that old spymaster to good effect to eliminate any potential threats as they came up while making allies and friends, and with the other nations so closely tied together, her plans have become far more ambitious, and made things all the easier...

Despite mainly being a chessmaster, Amber isn't afraid to do things herself, and has a mini crossbow with bolts laced in a sleep toxin, alongside a grapple hook, truncheon and a myriad of other equipment. She isn't exactly a direct fighter, relying upon stealth and blood magic mainly when in a fight, or for other's to do her work for her as she has planned...

Supporting Units:

Name: Starkebrisen Windreiter

Description: The people of the Starkebrisen Republic are a people capable of flight. As such, their tactics mainly involve skirmishing, and their forces represent that. The Starkebrisen Windreiter are a force made up of volunteers. Armed with rifled caplock muskets and flechettes, their main goal is to harass and harry an enemy force and whittle them down. And naturally, due to how they operate, they easily can slip behind enemy lines and right back over, along with strike hard at night utilizing their natural night vision to their advantage. Naturally, their uniform is blue and white, with a bit of grey, matching the tricolor of the Republic they hail from.

Trait: (Not sure, so I'll just leave this empty for now)

Name: Helderzee linie infanterie

Description: The people of Helderzee gained their independence long ago thanks to their line infantry. While things have changed a long way since then with advanced technologies and the like, the nature of combat still remains mainly the same for the people a part of the Provina Confederation, at least for now anyway. The main advantage of this force is the fact that they fire by Platoon as opposed to the whole line, allowing a continuous hail of bullets to strike the enemy and prevent them from properly returning fire without the calm that the time between reloading would grant them. Still, they are well drilled Katzarin men ready to fight.

Trait: (Same as above)

Name: Eisenkrone Kürassiere

Description: Eisenkrone has long remained a nation with a extensive tradition, including that of cavalry. Part of that tradition, which is shared by Helderzee, is that men are infantry, and such a role is fitting of such, however things that have the aid of many tools or animals, and in the case of military that means such roles as sailors, artillery, or cavalry, is womanly. The Eisenkrone Kürassiere are a cavalry force well protected and made up of brave Katzarin Women ready to charge with pistol and sword protected by a modest amount of armor, able to strike fear into their foes and inspire their allies.

Trait: (Again, read the first one)

If you want I can go into far more detail about the various races I mentioned and the cultures of the nations, but basically Alverlon is english styled while Starkebrisen and Eisenkrone are more germanic, with Helderzee fittingly Dutch. If there's any further questions I can provide them. Regardless tech level for them is roughly equivalent to early 18th century (plus civilian airships) and ideally will start getting into steampunk territory later on.

Edit: For a TLDR of the nation. It's Anime German confederation with Britain and the Netherlands made up of kemonomimi folk and humans that is being manipulated by an old and powerful vampire and has some support in the form of sort of Austria-Hungary made up of Romanian, Bulgarian and Serbian dragon, drake, and wyrm monstergirls/guys that aren't actually in the war but are still supportive.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 10:21:43 pm by piratejoe »
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2021, 06:10:26 am »

Hate to do this but since no one has said anything for the past few days, I'll just further throw out ideas and say that I think a good theme for our team is if we have 3 general kinds of protagonists. Those who are a part of Amber's little cabal and who mainly work in the shadows to manipulate things. Those who aren't and are generals and leaders who fight for the Provina confederation who can be good, bad, or anywhere in between who are attached to their own brigades and such. And those who are just soldiers fighting for Provina. Obviously the latter two I fully expect to have a few volunteer forces from Unirea Aripilor daur, and mostly will be made up of the people of Provina. However I believe it'd be fitting if those who are a part of Amber's little cabal are mostly arch vampires, demons and other more supernatural like folk with maybe a handful of 'normal' people. Further, it'd be fun further building up just what exactly their plan is and the individual motivations of that cabal, along with potentially some of the things the other two types of protagonists do that get in the way of some of their secondary plans.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Anime Arms Race The Provina Confederation - Protagonist Phase 1
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2021, 12:37:44 am »

As for the traits:

Starkebrisen Windreiter: Probably something like "Air unit" or "Air Scrimisher" giving a bonus against non-flying non-AA units.
Helderzee linie infanterie: "Rain of Bullets" Small general bonus
Eisenkrone Kürassiere: "Armored Calvary" Less likely to get Incapacitated, bonus to fighting in flat land.

As just suggestions. Leader might be a bit harder to get down .

Amber Hawkins:
Many Allies: Bonus for each different national unit on a step.
Stealth Expert: During the Battle Phase, pick one step. Enemy units in this step will receive a penalty.
Chess-master: Select one unit from the Provina Confederation. Until the end of the battle phase it receive a bonus and a smaller chance of Incapacitation.

Also as suggestions.

We can figure these out while you're making your new protagonist. Since it is Protagonist Phase 1!

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2021, 11:20:05 am »

I like the traits so far, honestly. Air Skirmisher fits the Starkebrisen Windreiter the best, and Rain of Bullets is good too, though Continuous Fire or Platoon Fire as an alternate name works as well. Lastly, Armored Calvary fits quite well too.

As for Amber, Many Allies fits quite well, as it means that with just the Confederations forces we can get 4 units on a step of different nationalities. 5 if we count Veloxflumine. It also means that in the future dipping into the Unirea Aripilor daur's forces would be good, given they are akin to Austria Hungary, and that means we can at minimum get 5 different units in one step to 8 at max. 9 If we pull a Japan and make a Manchuria out of the enemy and utilize their people who dislike the direction their nation has gone in as soldiers. Stealth Expert and Chess Master also are quite good and I like both...

As for the current character, I think it'd be best if for the start we go with actual generals and soldiers who are disconnected from the cabal. Perhaps the third or fourth will be a member working with Amber, but for now...

General Andries Van Culemborg

A well organized Katzarin man and the most prominent general of the Helderezee forces. While originally merely a captain of a brigade, he swiftly proved himself with his ability to maintain organization in his men and his tactical and strategic skill. He came to renown before the Provina Confederation was formed when he was a proper general, fighting in a overseas colonial conflict against the nation of Irisin. His prominence came in the Battle of Kavanport. where in the skilled general managed to fight with a force of thirty thousand against a hundred and fifty seven thousand Irisin soldiers, outnumbered five to one. Only with extreme skill and entrenchment along side skilled use of Artillery and infantry supported by a small recon force was he able to hold with only 7332 casualties on his own forces in exchange for practically destroying the enemy. He is an expert at defensive warfare, yet he's oft quiet and in deep thought, usually about the state of a campaign. He is most at home commanding forces of Helderezee or their monarchist cousins of the Eisenkrone, though obviously he prefers the republic's men and women instead. In terms of personal combat, he is skilled with pistol and sword, though while certainly solid, his skills are in leading his men rather than his direct combat skills.

Traits: Entrenchment Master (Does well when on the defense, and can make his forces dig in and be well protected from their enemy)
Outnumbered, not outflanked. (Does far better than most when outnumbered by enemy forces.)
Organization First. (Units in a battle with Andries have a reduced chance to be disabled.)

I hope the traits are fine.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2021, 07:15:29 pm »

I like the traits so far, honestly. Air Skirmisher fits the Starkebrisen Windreiter the best, and Rain of Bullets is good too, though Continuous Fire or Platoon Fire as an alternate name works as well. Lastly, Armored Calvary fits quite well too.

As for Amber, Many Allies fits quite well, as it means that with just the Confederations forces we can get 4 units on a step of different nationalities. 5 if we count Veloxflumine. It also means that in the future dipping into the Unirea Aripilor daur's forces would be good, given they are akin to Austria Hungary, and that means we can at minimum get 5 different units in one step to 8 at max. 9 If we pull a Japan and make a Manchuria out of the enemy and utilize their people who dislike the direction their nation has gone in as soldiers. Stealth Expert and Chess Master also are quite good and I like both...

As for the current character, I think it'd be best if for the start we go with actual generals and soldiers who are disconnected from the cabal. Perhaps the third or fourth will be a member working with Amber, but for now...

General Andries Van Culemborg

A well organized Katzarin man and the most prominent general of the Helderezee forces. While originally merely a captain of a brigade, he swiftly proved himself with his ability to maintain organization in his men and his tactical and strategic skill. He came to renown before the Provina Confederation was formed when he was a proper general, fighting in a overseas colonial conflict against the nation of Irisin. His prominence came in the Battle of Kavanport. where in the skilled general managed to fight with a force of thirty thousand against a hundred and fifty seven thousand Irisin soldiers, outnumbered five to one. Only with extreme skill and entrenchment along side skilled use of Artillery and infantry supported by a small recon force was he able to hold with only 7332 casualties on his own forces in exchange for practically destroying the enemy. He is an expert at defensive warfare, yet he's oft quiet and in deep thought, usually about the state of a campaign. He is most at home commanding forces of Helderezee or their monarchist cousins of the Eisenkrone, though obviously he prefers the republic's men and women instead. In terms of personal combat, he is skilled with pistol and sword, though while certainly solid, his skills are in leading his men rather than his direct combat skills.

Traits: Entrenchment Master (Does well when on the defense, and can make his forces dig in and be well protected from their enemy)
Outnumbered, not outflanked. (Does far better than most when outnumbered by enemy forces.)
Organization First. (Units in a battle with Andries have a reduced chance to be disabled.)

I hope the traits are fine.

D20 roll: 7 Power

Traits are all fine! Notably I'll probably count "on the defense" as in your home territory/ the B steps.

It is now the Supporting Character phase.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anime Arms Race The Provina Confederation - Supporting Character Phase 1
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2021, 08:26:47 pm »

A 7...That's fairly bad but it could be worse. They are a general, not a warrior after all. Though I think I know what character to make after the next turn. Still for the next batch of forces...

Helderzee Bronkhorst Artillerie

In Helderzee, a artillery captain and industrialist some years ago named Jeltje van Bronkhorst was responsible for the invention of a new and revolutionary piece of artillery. Simply known as the Bronkhorst gun or just the Bronkhorst, it is quite different from the big guns that Helderzee and the rest of the confederation currently possesses, with a hexagon barrel instead of a rifled one, and a breach loading mechanism. The artillery piece is revolutionary both in accuracy and fire rate. Only issue is it wasn't made in great enough numbers before the war kicked off. Lucky for Helderzee and the rest of the confederation that the production of these guns was already in swing and just needed to be ramped up. And there was no shortage of trained Katzarin women ready to load and fire the things. After all, artillery is just as womanly as cavalry...For Helderzee and Eisenkrone at least.

Traits: Accurate Artillery. Does extra damage against whatever it's attacking providing it isn't under attack by infantry, cavalry or tanks.

(Wrote this on a tablet. Was a nightmare. Hope this actually got through as well as I wanted it)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2021, 07:35:41 pm »

A 7...That's fairly bad but it could be worse. They are a general, not a warrior after all. Though I think I know what character to make after the next turn. Still for the next batch of forces...

Helderzee Bronkhorst Artillerie

In Helderzee, a artillery captain and industrialist some years ago named Jeltje van Bronkhorst was responsible for the invention of a new and revolutionary piece of artillery. Simply known as the Bronkhorst gun or just the Bronkhorst, it is quite different from the big guns that Helderzee and the rest of the confederation currently possesses, with a hexagon barrel instead of a rifled one, and a breach loading mechanism. The artillery piece is revolutionary both in accuracy and fire rate. Only issue is it wasn't made in great enough numbers before the war kicked off. Lucky for Helderzee and the rest of the confederation that the production of these guns was already in swing and just needed to be ramped up. And there was no shortage of trained Katzarin women ready to load and fire the things. After all, artillery is just as womanly as cavalry...For Helderzee and Eisenkrone at least.

Traits: Accurate Artillery. Does extra damage against whatever it's attacking providing it isn't under attack by infantry, cavalry or tanks.

(Wrote this on a tablet. Was a nightmare. Hope this actually got through as well as I wanted it)

D10 Dice Roll: 6

It is now the Character Development phase!

Spoiler: Current Roster (click to show/hide)

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2021, 10:14:15 pm »

Alright so, there's currently three general idea's on what could be improved. First and most obvious is the actual General, Van Culemborg. Though giving the artillery an extra ability or maybe doubling down on Amber might be nice. Still, I think it's best to get Andries up to a level where he isn't equal to the basic mooks, and as such...

Mountain choke points and how to use them

Much of General Andries Van Culemborg's victories in the past were in planes and forests, and occasionally hilly ground. However the campaign into the north is one that will not be taking place in ground that will effectively allow troops to dig in what with the majority of the land in the north being rocky mountains. As such, learning how best to make use of the mountains like the forests and plains was key. Of course the basics already were there and Andries was no slouch when it came to the utilization of the mountains, however attacking into such areas and more importantly actually turning them against their enemies or getting the equipment and soldiers up them was something else entirely. Still with a number of meetings with junior officers for war games set in such rugged territory that the general wasn't the most suited to worked wonders, and how to force an enemy to fall a long way down was actually perhaps easier than expected. Other than this, Andries also got a fancy new cap and ball style blackpowder revolver known as a Zweers revolver which oddly has two barrels. The top one being normal .42, and the central one being a 20 gauge buckshot for dealing with close encounters, though the buckshot portion could only be fired once before needing a reload. Still, the addition to his arsenal both metaphorically and literally was a great boon.
(Increase Andries power. Also if you can't tell what the pistol is, it's basically a LeMat)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 10:16:39 pm by piratejoe »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Anime Arms Race The Provina Confederation - Character Development Phase 1
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2021, 01:13:08 am »

Mountain choke points and how to use them for General Andries Van Culemborg: +D5 Roll = +5 for 13 Power.

It seams General Andries took well to both his new battlefield and new weapon.

It is now the Deployment Phase. Please choose where each of your units will be deployed, and who will receive the effects of Stealth Expert and Chess-master.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Step Status (click to show/hide)

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anime Arms Race The Provina Confederation - Deployment Phase 1
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2021, 03:21:29 am »

Wow, that was the best result we possibly could get. Well, Andries is quite good now.

As for current set up.
Lane 1 will have Starkebrisen Windreiter (Boosted by Stealth expert)
Lane 2 will have Eisenkrone Kürassiere (Chessmaster boost) and Helderzee Bronkhorst Artillerie
Lane 3 will have General Andries and Helderzee Linie Infanterie.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Anime Arms Race The Provina Confederation - Deployment Phase 1
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2021, 11:15:32 pm »

Combat Phase 1

We have dire reports across all three fronts. It seems our enemy took a calculated risk in sending their own Leader to the front line, a risk that paid off for our opponents.

In the mountains and caves the Starkebrisen Windreiter where unfortunate enough to meet their exact counter. They met with the enemy airforce - seemingly composed of jetfighters- that performed their own ambushes on our skirmishers. While our men are perfectly confident in their ability to fight in the air especially with the impeccable assistance of some unknown spy, our stealth advantage was somehow erased by the enemy as they managed to pinpoint our ambushes in almost every attempt. Currently the retirements of the Starkebrisen Windreiter have scattered and are hiding in the mountain caves. They'll be able to regroup in about 2 turns if Amber's intuition is correct (and it usually is).

Line moved to B4, Starkebrisen Windreiter Incapacitated 2 turns.

In the valley our forces where almost even...until luck turned the tide of the battle in the enemy's favor. We faced a force of shrine maidens lead by a particularly powerful maiden with an apparent distaste for the non-humans and a holy blade hungry for their blood. This meant that the entire fighting force in this area was female on both sides. Our cavalry managed to launch several successful charges in the open field against the sword-wielding maidens while our artillery bombarded them - but in the end the powerful maiden broke through and rushed our artillery forcing them to retreat. Thankfully the heavy protection worn by the Eisenkrone Kürassiere and Amber's plan meant they will still be able to fight in round 2.

Line moved up to B5.

Finally brave general Andries faced off against the Young Emperor and what appear to be cowboys acting as his retainers (or vice versa). Despite making several plans to corner "Ted", his quick six gun was able to keep pace with the Helderzee linie infanterie's volleyed fire and his loyal followers followed suit with similar armament. In the end he was pushed back mile after mile, until he reached his own defensive position in the coastal lowlands. He's currently forming plans for the Emperor's demise in a tent along the sea, but thanks to his efforts there have been no significant losses despite the heavy fighting.

Line moved up to B6

It is now Protagonist Phase 2

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Step Status (click to show/hide)

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anime Arms Race The Provina Confederation - Protagonist Phase 2
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2021, 01:22:25 am »

...Christ, what the hell did they roll for their units? No matter...I was planning to use this character and I'm eager to finally write them... This is going to be a bit long though. Also I find it hilarious there's a Miko army and hero when this character was, from the start, going to be an Anti Unholy and Holy hero. Also just a note, Melissa is a Human.

Melissa Powell

Melissa Powell was born to a fairly poor family and didn't exactly live the best of lives. Their mother was careless, and their father died in a factory accident while she was young. While she didn't starve, she didn't get much food or anything else really as a kid, and was what could best be described as socially incompetent and awkward, leaving her with very few friends and mostly alone. This forced her into a more bookish lifestyle, though this wasn't out of choice more so due to the fact that she couldn't expend that much energy in playing in the yard and often had a single, minor meal a day. Two if she was lucky. In secondary school, she was bullied and humiliated relentlessly by a group of bullies who decided to make her their punching bag, sometimes literally. The teachers at the school did nothing despite her telling them what was going on, and only once did someone stand up for her. That someone getting a very similar treatment and was easily overpowered by the bullies. Needless to say, this didn't make her a very confident person and she felt as if she had no control in her life. This only was exemplified by both her short stature at 21, and the fact that the ringleader of those who tormented her managed to get a quite successful job in law, something that she and her family couldn't dream to afford the education for. She learned of what happened to her old tormentor while working as a clerk at a butchers, as they happened to have the misfortune of being at the desk and by extension had to deal with them. Even though they both were adults, Melissa was still mocked and insulted by their old tormentor, though unlike in her school days, their tormentor didn't exactly get away with it without ridicule from a couple other customers. They were destined to live what was frankly, a miserable and boring life... Or so they thought. She eventually ended up getting a gift from her best friend, one that unknowingly to both of them was an artifact. And, from there she was drawn to another, realizing the pendant she had been granted allowed her to sense and find artifacts and discern what they did and if they were cursed. And slowly she learned of the supernatural. With things finally going their way for once, they tried to make something more of their life, even if more fearful of it due to how valuable the things she'd undoubtedly manage would be. And as she searched for those who might be interested in her services she learned of some sort of vampire hunter who was trying to find something that would better allow them to track vampires. Naturally, Melissa tried helping them and agreed to meet up. This was a grave mistake, as that vampire hunter wasn't actually such, and instead was merely a demon cultist who, some time ago, was a demon hunter. This resulted in her getting knocked out and forced into a horrible ritual, which bound her body to the whims of a demon, trapped in her own body, and leaving a hideous scar upon her face... With everything that has happened to them, she wondered why the universe seemed to hate them, what they did to deserve this, and why they can't do anything right, something fully exploited by the demon of envy that was in control of their body. Yet while her story should have ended here, it didn't. As through a blunder the one possessing her managed to get unwanted attention, and was targeted by the holy, priests and even an angel. Yet, they didn't seem to desire to have the mercy of sparing her mortal body, believing she was willingly possessed by such a demon. Yet that demon hunter turned demonic cultist still kept their skills, and managed to save her and the demon that possessed her, at least, mostly, before Melissa soon found herself on consecrated ground, and with that a chance to break free as the demons grip on her was hampered. And with all her will, she managed to force herself to remain on the holy ground long enough for the demon to leave her body so as to not suffer more pain. And soon after that she ran, soon pursued by the people who if anything should have been saving her. She managed to get away from most of them, but was forced to fight a group of them who followed, and with a burning desire to finally be free she fought ruthlessly to get that freedom, and managed to beat the holy spirit out of them before trying to return to her original plans, now with a lot more determination...Only to be then drafted by Alverlon into the Air Marines. Though at least with her new situation she was actually trained in combat, and more importantly had a new chance to gain something good for once in her life...

TLDR: Had a horrible childhood and was constantly bullied, ended up getting a poor paying job, wasn't confident, and then once things were looking good for her due to a gift that let her hunt artifacts, she got possessed by a demon for some time until she was almost killed by priests and an angel, in the process of that bout she actually managed to get free from her possession and beat the crap out of a few of those priests who stuck on her trail before being drafted.

Traits: Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Given her torment by both the holy and unholy, Melissa has an extreme hatred for both, and will push themselves to make sure whenever they meet any of such nature they make sure they suffer like she has. As such, gains a major bonus to holy and unholy themed units.
Artifact Hunter: Melissa, for the brief time in her life where things seemed to actually be going well gained the ability to sense artifacts, alongside if they were cursed or not. Every turn while Melissa is in a region, roll to see if she finds anything. If she does, a future Character Development roll directly related to her will have a positive modifier to it.
Badass Woobie: Things tend to go horribly wrong for Melissa despite it not being her fault. On the bright side she's still sane and not a destroyer of worlds...for now. Whenever she is wounded or an allied character is maimed or killed in the same region as her, Melissa gains a major bonus to combat that turn.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 01:24:04 am by piratejoe »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Anime Arms Race The Provina Confederation - Protagonist Phase 2
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2021, 07:15:07 pm »

...Christ, what the hell did they roll for their units? No matter...I was planning to use this character and I'm eager to finally write them... This is going to be a bit long though. Also I find it hilarious there's a Miko army and hero when this character was, from the start, going to be an Anti Unholy and Holy hero. Also just a note, Melissa is a Human.

Melissa Powell

Melissa Powell was born to a fairly poor family and didn't exactly live the best of lives. Their mother was careless, and their father died in a factory accident while she was young. While she didn't starve, she didn't get much food or anything else really as a kid, and was what could best be described as socially incompetent and awkward, leaving her with very few friends and mostly alone. This forced her into a more bookish lifestyle, though this wasn't out of choice more so due to the fact that she couldn't expend that much energy in playing in the yard and often had a single, minor meal a day. Two if she was lucky. In secondary school, she was bullied and humiliated relentlessly by a group of bullies who decided to make her their punching bag, sometimes literally. The teachers at the school did nothing despite her telling them what was going on, and only once did someone stand up for her. That someone getting a very similar treatment and was easily overpowered by the bullies. Needless to say, this didn't make her a very confident person and she felt as if she had no control in her life. This only was exemplified by both her short stature at 21, and the fact that the ringleader of those who tormented her managed to get a quite successful job in law, something that she and her family couldn't dream to afford the education for. She learned of what happened to her old tormentor while working as a clerk at a butchers, as they happened to have the misfortune of being at the desk and by extension had to deal with them. Even though they both were adults, Melissa was still mocked and insulted by their old tormentor, though unlike in her school days, their tormentor didn't exactly get away with it without ridicule from a couple other customers. They were destined to live what was frankly, a miserable and boring life... Or so they thought. She eventually ended up getting a gift from her best friend, one that unknowingly to both of them was an artifact. And, from there she was drawn to another, realizing the pendant she had been granted allowed her to sense and find artifacts and discern what they did and if they were cursed. And slowly she learned of the supernatural. With things finally going their way for once, they tried to make something more of their life, even if more fearful of it due to how valuable the things she'd undoubtedly manage would be. And as she searched for those who might be interested in her services she learned of some sort of vampire hunter who was trying to find something that would better allow them to track vampires. Naturally, Melissa tried helping them and agreed to meet up. This was a grave mistake, as that vampire hunter wasn't actually such, and instead was merely a demon cultist who, some time ago, was a demon hunter. This resulted in her getting knocked out and forced into a horrible ritual, which bound her body to the whims of a demon, trapped in her own body, and leaving a hideous scar upon her face... With everything that has happened to them, she wondered why the universe seemed to hate them, what they did to deserve this, and why they can't do anything right, something fully exploited by the demon of envy that was in control of their body. Yet while her story should have ended here, it didn't. As through a blunder the one possessing her managed to get unwanted attention, and was targeted by the holy, priests and even an angel. Yet, they didn't seem to desire to have the mercy of sparing her mortal body, believing she was willingly possessed by such a demon. Yet that demon hunter turned demonic cultist still kept their skills, and managed to save her and the demon that possessed her, at least, mostly, before Melissa soon found herself on consecrated ground, and with that a chance to break free as the demons grip on her was hampered. And with all her will, she managed to force herself to remain on the holy ground long enough for the demon to leave her body so as to not suffer more pain. And soon after that she ran, soon pursued by the people who if anything should have been saving her. She managed to get away from most of them, but was forced to fight a group of them who followed, and with a burning desire to finally be free she fought ruthlessly to get that freedom, and managed to beat the holy spirit out of them before trying to return to her original plans, now with a lot more determination...Only to be then drafted by Alverlon into the Air Marines. Though at least with her new situation she was actually trained in combat, and more importantly had a new chance to gain something good for once in her life...

TLDR: Had a horrible childhood and was constantly bullied, ended up getting a poor paying job, wasn't confident, and then once things were looking good for her due to a gift that let her hunt artifacts, she got possessed by a demon for some time until she was almost killed by priests and an angel, in the process of that bout she actually managed to get free from her possession and beat the crap out of a few of those priests who stuck on her trail before being drafted.

Traits: Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Given her torment by both the holy and unholy, Melissa has an extreme hatred for both, and will push themselves to make sure whenever they meet any of such nature they make sure they suffer like she has. As such, gains a major bonus to holy and unholy themed units.
Artifact Hunter: Melissa, for the brief time in her life where things seemed to actually be going well gained the ability to sense artifacts, alongside if they were cursed or not. Every turn while Melissa is in a region, roll to see if she finds anything. If she does, a future Character Development roll directly related to her will have a positive modifier to it.
Badass Woobie: Things tend to go horribly wrong for Melissa despite it not being her fault. On the bright side she's still sane and not a destroyer of worlds...for now. Whenever she is wounded or an allied character is maimed or killed in the same region as her, Melissa gains a major bonus to combat that turn.

For Artifact Hunter to work, it can only apply to herself. As per my entirely arbitrary rules Leaders are the only ones who can apply their skill to the whole army and as written it can potentially apply to anyone.

Is it still OK to move forward with the character?

Pages: [1] 2 3