Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 64

Author Topic: Beginner Mafia 2: BYOR Edition - Game Over!  (Read 34878 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner Mafia 2: BYOR Edition - Day 1: Bwuk Bwuk Little Chickens
« Reply #150 on: July 11, 2022, 04:36:47 am »

NJW2000:  Hypothetically if you were scum would to actively try to bus your scummate to look town or play it calmly?
Depends on the situation. At the start of the game, I'd have a strong preference for keeping my teammate alive.

NJW2000 - Why should or shouldn't I vote Shakerag after the incredible, absolutely amazing, case that FoU just made?
It's a weak case, so I think more people should vote Shakerag, to make the case stronger.

Shakerag: what's going on with the discord question here?

Oh great, a miller claim. I really hope Web hasn't put a miller in a Beginner game.

Egan: do you have any way we can confirm you as doing something other than mafiakilling and being mafia and stuff?
Don't necessarily say what it is, withholding information about your power is a good idea D1. A yes/no/maybe answer might be enough.

Well, what I was really going for was to find someone to attack. I recall hearing that picking at whoever votes for you is an acceptable beginner strategy, so I went for that. Shakerag doesn't seem scummy to me at this point, but it doesn't really matter so much as that I got them to say some stuff and hopefully that helps people with more developed instincts than me.
This is bad. You've heard it's ok for newbie players to do something that's bad, so you did it? And you're waiting for stronger players to figure out the game?

That's a very convenient position for mafia to take. Instead, try to play well, and actually play the game. You may not have played much mafia, but you're smart, so scumhunt.

MaximumSpin - I've never been able to read him and seldom find him useful before D3.
One wheel short of a wagon

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 11, 2022, 05:20:44 am »

Web - It seems like LurkerTracker died while I was away. Is there a replacement ISO tool to help compile each player's posts individually for analysis?
I made some functionalities.  Do you need a specific player, or just in general?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 11, 2022, 07:14:51 am »

TricMagic - Why am I voting you?

Cause of my failure to do my first RTD game.

To Shakerag, why are you asking me the same question? Policy lynching is something to keep in mind, but not totally rely on. It's good during day 1 though.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 11, 2022, 07:20:23 am »

FallacyofUrist - Is EuchreJack a player in this game?

Raises wing, beak open, then... lowers it slowly.

... Right, forgot Tric took his spot. My bad.

New plan.

We can logically assume that TricMagic is either Town or Mafia. A loyal agent or treacherous traitor. Well... since he's so easy to read, let's just badger him until we can make a solid judgement, then either build our core around him or execute him?

TricMagic: What's your alignment? What's your scum-hunting strategy this game?
Probably get lynched Day 2. Also, that doesn't actually work Fal, I'm either working alone or with someone else. So in order to lynch me, you have to figure out my partner. Unless I did something WIFOM like completely ignore my PM Day 1.  ;)

As for scum-hunting strat... Wait and see, and vote Shakerag for earlier posts.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 11, 2022, 07:29:41 am »

[1] To be perfectly honest, it's been years since I played a game so fuck if I know anymore.  I haven't the foggiest fucking clue what the "meta" is right now.

[2] Literally an impossible question.  But as a counter, what information did you think that would give you?
[1] The good news is that this is a Beginner's BYOR, so the shenanigans level should be stuck somewhere between 2 and 4 out of 10.

[2] Your perception of yourself. What kind of a player are you? That's a question too.
:D

Cranks the dial to 6

From Lenglen's posts, putting them as a slight town-read right now.
That being said, NJW, Lidku, Knightwing. The rest of the posts is mostly Shakerag/Egan fighting.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 11, 2022, 07:42:38 am »

Web - It seems like LurkerTracker died while I was away. Is there a replacement ISO tool to help compile each player's posts individually for analysis?
I made some functionalities.  Do you need a specific player, or just in general?
In general please, I like to use Lurkertracker when reviewing other people's cases as well as for activity-level analysis. Right now I'd be using it to ISO FoU to see if there's a pattern to their posts and on Maximum Spin because of my follow-up to the FoS I made. If there is a tool such that I can use it on a whim, I'd probably use it repeatedly throughout the game.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 11, 2022, 07:49:28 am »

In general please, I like to use Lurkertracker when reviewing other people's cases as well as for activity-level analysis. Right now I'd be using it to ISO FoU to see if there's a pattern to their posts and on Maximum Spin because of my follow-up to the FoS I made. If there is a tool such that I can use it on a whim, I'd probably use it repeatedly throughout the game.
I only have a version that posts to the thread, but I could make a version that sends a PM to keep the thread a bit orderly, but it'd be manual.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 11, 2022, 07:49:32 am »

I trust Tric, for now, at least.

A guide to Tric:

Acting scummy: town

Acting like a townie: scum

As for why I’m not scum? Because… I’m not? Max apparently has a alignment detector for me on them, so they can clear me using voodoo magic, I hope.

By the way: there's probably one scum among Fallacy, Shakerag, Egan.

Explain.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 11, 2022, 07:58:10 am »

I only have a version that posts to the thread, but I could make a version that sends a PM to keep the thread a bit orderly, but it'd be manual.
oof, that's inconvenient. I guess I'll be doing things the old-fashioned wsy then, rather than LurkerTrackering the thread on a daily basis. Thank you though, and I may ask for its use later in the game but I'll try to not spam the request.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 11, 2022, 08:12:23 am »

Probably get lynched Day 2. Also, that doesn't actually work Fal, I'm either working alone or with someone else. So in order to lynch me, you have to figure out my partner. Unless I did something WIFOM like completely ignore my PM Day 1.  ;)
Tric - that isn't how this works, not in the earlygame. We don't need to find or even concern ourselves with who your partner might or might not be until either you flip or it becomes lategame.
As for scum-hunting strat... Wait and see, and vote Shakerag for earlier posts.
Tric - which earlier posts? what's wrong with them?
That being said, NJW, Lidku, Knightwing. The rest of the posts is mostly Shakerag/Egan fighting.
Tric - So you dismiss the Shakerag / Egan fight as generally being a nulltell here, but are voting Shakerag over "earlier posts". Make up your mind, is Shake scummy or not? If so, what is scummy about him? If not, then why are you voting him?

Having said that, I left my vote on you for inactivity and you did become active so Unvote

Maximum Spin - Tric has now posted, so I can upgrade my FoS to the vote I wanted it to be.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 11, 2022, 08:14:13 am »

A guide to Tric:

So you think Tric is acting scummy right now, since you trust them?

Mamobo

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia Moderation Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 11, 2022, 08:32:08 am »

Vote Count
------------------------
FallacyofUrist - 2 - Egan_BW*,
Maximum Spin - 2 - NJW2000*, Lenglon*,
Shakerag - 2 - FallacyofUrist*, TricMagic*,
Egan_BW - 1 - Shakerag*,
Knightwing64 - 0 -
Lenglon - 0 -
Lidku - 0 -
NJW2000 - 0 -
TricMagic - 0 -
No One - 0 -

Not Voting - 3 - Knightwing64, Lidku, Maximum Spin,

5 to Hammer. Day ends on July 13, 2022 at 20:00 CDT (~59 hours remaining).
Mamobo stands for Mafia Moderation Bot! Mamobo was made by webadict to help those in need!

Mamobo hates villainy and lawlessness! Mamobo loves blueberries!

Mamobo is happy to be of use! If you'd like to improve Mamobo, please do something else instead!

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 11, 2022, 08:36:35 am »

FallacyofUrist - 2 - Egan_BW*,
Egan - You appear to have two votes. Impressive. What do you plan to do with this power?

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 11, 2022, 09:35:15 am »

Lenglon:
Shakerag - In my experience, you are more excited the more disruptive your role is. You appear to be very excited. How disruptive do you plan on being this game?

Kind of role-fishy, but whatever.  Regardless, that will just have to be something you find out later.

NJW2000:
Shakerag: what's going on with the discord question here?
A lazy attempt to trip up scum not paying attention. 

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 11, 2022, 11:01:19 am »

A guide to Tric:

As for why I’m not scum? Because… I’m not? Max apparently has a alignment detector for me on them, so they can clear me using voodoo magic, I hope.
Yeah, Knightwing looks like town.
By the way: there's probably one scum among Fallacy, Shakerag, Egan.

Explain.
Often, when two town players are spatting, a scum player will appear to butt in and egg them on in order to get chummy with one of the two and distance from the other. Under this analysis, Fallacy is the most likely to be scum. On the other hand, often, if that doesn't happen, a scum player will pick a fight with a town player and try to rope in another town player into the same kind of three-way. By that analysis, it's more likely to be Shakerag, although I wouldn't rule out Egan. In general, if I see three players in a runaround like that, I always suspect there's exactly one scum involved, who's trying to generate some interactions to make you think one of the others is also aligned with him in case something happens to out him later. I know for a fact that Fallacy, at least, knows how to do that since I've seen him do it; but I certainly figure the other two could do it as well.

But that's really secondary... the real point of any post you might make on d1 is to see how people react to it, and frankly, I don't believe Lenglon doesn't know what I just said in that paragraph above. I guess I could see NJW as a partner, although it's kind of a stretch, and I don't really think I'm important enough to be a coordinated d1 scum push, so his vote on me actually acts to counteract that suspicion... although I guess that could be the point but, you know, not going to get too in the weeds right now. Lenglon has also been fishing and generally acting pretty scummy, so I'm pretty sure this is where my d1 vote is going to sit.

(Extra beginner mafia tip: I, personally, always find "analysis" to be a scumtell. What I mean is, scum will often try to make cases that don't really make much sense by appealing to a cloud of little details that can vaguely be made to sound bad, to try to make people doubt their intuitions. I think the last person I clearly remember doing this is ToonyMan, who's not in this game and therefore a nice neutral referent. On the other hand, this can also be a crutch of a player who isn't very good and doesn't have much social intuition, so you kind of have to balance it with other observations of the player. I put appeals to statistics in the same category as well.)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 64