Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Disco Elysium  (Read 2130 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Disco Elysium
« on: July 13, 2022, 11:58:40 am »

This smash hit from 2019 doesn't have a thread yet. So here it is.
Discuss your favorite builds, or the setting of Revachol. Or, for that matter, the fact that ZA/UM has released a line of clothing based on their game's esthetics.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Eniteris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Disco Elysium
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2022, 12:05:18 pm »

Great game, cannot recommend enough, if you are at all interested it's best to get out of this thread and play it now. Plays best without spoilers.

Also since the Final Cut is fully voice acted with great voices.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2022, 12:34:14 pm »

Did they ever fix that... Not technically a bug, but certainly unintended interaction that let you sequence break yourself out of permanently completing the first major mission? (I want to say it involved meeting with the boss in charge of an area with a bunch of containers.)

I ran into a different kind of incompletion error at the end of the second (third?) section that eventually got fixed, but soured me enough that I never went back.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Eniteris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2022, 01:19:39 pm »

I didn't encounter that bug, and I only got the game recently, so I can't say whether it exists or not.

There was a bug where every time I was in my room my brain tried to get me to join communism even though I agreed five times already, but that's relatively minor, if a bit annoying.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2022, 01:33:40 pm »

The only bug I ran into during my playthrough was that I had a quest that didn't complete after I did what the quest wanted. It was strange, because the game even commented that a piece of evidence for that quest (the color of a jacket lining) matched what I was looking at.

Oh, and while not exactly a bug, it was annoying that after taking a single drink from a single bottle of booze, for the rest of the game everyone treated me like I was constantly boozing it up. Serves me right for listening to quests from my limbic system.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 01:37:59 pm by AlStar »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2022, 03:17:48 pm »

Oh, and while not exactly a bug, it was annoying that after taking a single drink from a single bottle of booze, for the rest of the game everyone treated me like I was constantly boozing it up. Serves me right for listening to quests from my limbic system.
You did booze it up quite a bit before the game starts.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2022, 03:44:41 pm »

I've only played through the once, so I don't know if it's related to having a drink, or if it's scripted in, but having people telling me that my sour boozy breath is disgusting on day three seems a little much.

I mean, I know our character went through the most epic of epic benders, but even he's got to start drying out eventually.

Edit: Also, Kim's evaluation of me on the last day seemed really harsh for "drinking on the job" while I was with him; which is why I'm assuming that the game's just tracking "has the character ever used alcohol all game long", and not "how much", since a single swig of Commodore Red to help with a hangover doesn't really jibe with how unhappy he sounds about it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 03:54:13 pm by AlStar »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2022, 03:50:31 pm »

I've only played for a few hours (waiting for the right mood). But what I saw was lovely. Listening to the limbic system is the best.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2022, 03:51:39 pm »

I've only played through the once, so I don't know if it's related to having a drink, or if it's scripted in, but having people telling me that my sour boozy breath is disgusting on day three seems a little much.

I mean, I know our character went through the most epic of epic benders, but even he's got to start drying out eventually.
I mean, did you ever brush your teeth? Haven't played (probably won't, but still), but... if you don't do some self-care the aftereffects for a bender can last a while.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2022, 05:19:19 pm »

Basically, there was this item you got way early on (I want to say it was a clipboard or notepad of some kind? Mind's eye shows a small white rectangle.) that, if you looked at it, you... Could do something that'd teleport you back to your car wreck.

You could use it in areas you weren't supposed to be able to get out of (like right before the first meeting with that boss figure), which broke event chains.

I mean, it's easy enough to avoid if you knew if it would happen. Me, I didn't realize what happened until hours later, and then I had another quest breaker for no discernable reason.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2022, 06:10:21 pm »

I'm worried that this is one of those games lots of people love but that the contrivances are going to irritate me. (I'd classify Shadow of the Colossus, Alan Wake as those kinds of games for me.) I hear DE's got style, I hear it's got substance, I hear it's got surprises. Those all check the boxes. Tell me something non-spoilerly that someone might not like about this game.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 06:13:35 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2022, 07:48:24 pm »

It's basically just a CRPG-styled visual novel, from what I've picked up. There's more or less no combat whatsoever. If heavy talky-talky isn't your thing (and it's not, for me -- if I want to read a book I'll read a book), it might not be your thing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2022, 09:10:36 pm »

I'm worried that this is one of those games lots of people love but that the contrivances are going to irritate me. (I'd classify Shadow of the Colossus, Alan Wake as those kinds of games for me.) I hear DE's got style, I hear it's got substance, I hear it's got surprises. Those all check the boxes. Tell me something non-spoilerly that someone might not like about this game.

Think Planescape: Torment if you played an entirely narrative box-driven run, with absolutely no combat. (Which is what I feel like they should have done in P:T anyways...)

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2022, 09:12:45 am »

Tell me something non-spoilerly that someone might not like about this game.

A lot of times it's a walking simulator. The map's not that big and there's fast travel, but there's only a handful of travel points and some places you might want to visit are kinda far away from the nearest one.

Sometimes you exhaust all current dialogue options with character A, but talking to character B will open new ones for A. But when you go talk to A, all top-level options will still show up as if you already had gone through all of them, so you have to go through all options again when you suspect something new is available.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2022, 09:39:01 pm »

I always thought it was a dance game.
Pages: [1] 2