Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16

Author Topic: Pathfinding is not a major cause of FPS death  (Read 55535 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinding is not a major cause of FPS death
« Reply #120 on: January 12, 2023, 04:56:25 pm »

I've definitely seen dwarves stop, step aside, and wait their turn before entering a narrow corridor in the current version.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 12, 2023, 05:11:35 pm »

I've definitely seen dwarves stop, step aside, and wait their turn before entering a narrow corridor in the current version.

So, dwarves have finally learned to behave in a civilized manner and not crawl over each other?  :)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 12, 2023, 09:21:12 pm »

Wait, what? When you want to get past someone in a narrow passage you are actually not supposed to assume a crawling position and either crawl between their legs or leapfrog over them?

Ooohhhh that explains why people always look at me funny in trains and buses.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 12, 2023, 10:10:06 pm »

So does setting up traffic priority help with pathfinding?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 13, 2023, 07:02:18 am »

In general, traffic priority doesn't help with FPS. When used for its intended purpose, it forces dwarves to take longer paths. Finding those paths would therefore require more pathfinding work.

It does, however, help with traffic management as well as keeping dwarves safe from dangers like thawing water, battlements, and drawbridges in certain airlock designs.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 13, 2023, 08:52:00 am »

I believe to increase pathfinding one should wall off as much unused space as possible.

ab9rf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ab9rf@github
« Reply #126 on: January 13, 2023, 11:16:32 am »

In general, traffic priority doesn't help with FPS. When used for its intended purpose, it forces dwarves to take longer paths. Finding those paths would therefore require more pathfinding work.
it actually has very little impact on the amount of work done by the pathfinder

Randomizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 13, 2023, 11:52:23 am »

I have a bold question. Would a full or partial rewrite of the code give a HUGE increase in performance? Is this one of the things you are determining by profiling the game?

Erei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 13, 2023, 11:59:39 am »

I'm glad Putnam is now part of the team, because even though the Adams brothers are certainly talented and all, the game REALLY need some sanity check and clean up.
Some things I noticed with the steam release :
-coastal waves murder FPS when they land on ground. About 10-15fps loss while they do that.
-it seems the game keep track of the workshop every masterwork, possibly every item even, is from. I  saw that because I lost some random masterwork and when I clicked on "show me", it showed me a clothier workshop (and a kitchen another time). Instead of the expected place of destruction. Which mean the game kept track of where the item was produced. Which is entirely pointless. And while it may not affect FPS, it will bloat saves for no valid reasons. Is it really important if my silk shirt is from this clothier workshop or that one ?
-10 years old fort. 1200 (!!) visible body parts according to the stocks. Countless corpses, bolts, arrows, weapons... lying in the caverns. I disabled underground civ due to possible save corruption (lost my first steam save that way), and also because they seem buggy and spawn indefinitely (IE kill a wave, another spawn immediately). At some point a FB was literally spawn camping a narrow path that was at the edge of the map, where creatures spawned. We really need a "decompose" thing for item lying around for too long outside stockpiles. Perhaps only affecting locked item or something. That's bloating saves for no reasons, and possibly affecting FPS.
-I have a rough gem burning somewhere. Been burning for 2years now. Not the first time I had gem burn for a ridiculous amount of time. Really need a sanity check to clean up item when they burn for too long.

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 13, 2023, 12:14:54 pm »

-10 years old fort. 1200 (!!) visible body parts according to the stocks. Countless corpses, bolts, arrows, weapons...
Ha. How about almost 14000 spider webs in caverns precisely accounted by record keeper.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 13, 2023, 12:16:30 pm »

I have a bold question. Would a full or partial rewrite of the code give a HUGE increase in performance? Is this one of the things you are determining by profiling the game?

this is basically always true, especially of old-enough code

-it seems the game keep track of the workshop every masterwork, possibly every item even, is from. I  saw that because I lost some random masterwork and when I clicked on "show me", it showed me a clothier workshop (and a kitchen another time). Instead of the expected place of destruction. Which mean the game kept track of where the item was produced. Which is entirely pointless. And while it may not affect FPS, it will bloat saves for no valid reasons. Is it really important if my silk shirt is from this clothier workshop or that one ?

the masterwork may have actually been lost in the workshop, and the game keeps track of where announcements happen, which are eventually cleaned out. Besides that, you can see for yourself what all is stored in items. Workshops aren't one, nor are they part of the historical event created whenever a masterwork is made. You're not looking at what you think you're looking at, in other words.

Besides that, "save bloat" is pretty dramatic, since if it were storing the building for every masterwork then your save would increase by a megabyte after making 250,000 of them.

-10 years old fort. 1200 (!!) visible body parts according to the stocks. Countless corpses, bolts, arrows, weapons... lying in the caverns. I disabled underground civ due to possible save corruption (lost my first steam save that way), and also because they seem buggy and spawn indefinitely (IE kill a wave, another spawn immediately). At some point a FB was literally spawn camping a narrow path that was at the edge of the map, where creatures spawned. We really need a "decompose" thing for item lying around for too long outside stockpiles. Perhaps only affecting locked item or something. That's bloating saves for no reasons, and possibly affecting FPS.

They're not spawning, they're jumping out of ambush. They were sneaking around before, and thus invisible to the player. This has been a feature in the game for 15 years, not sure why people are only noticing it now. Elves have been doing this since release AFAIK.

Items don't have a major effect on FPS, especially if they're just lying around in the caverns. I wouldn't worry about them too much.

Randomizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 13, 2023, 01:57:02 pm »

this is basically always true, especially of old-enough code

Is this a serious option that is being considered?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 13, 2023, 02:21:22 pm »

No, because it would take forever, there are lower-hanging fruits, and the game does not run slow enough to do that.

Like... I am not terribly convinced that anyone who thinks this game runs unacceptably slow has ever played another game which is even mildly similar to this one in their life. Try playing Civilization IV sometimes, which is doing less simulation per tick and still takes multiple seconds. Or, hell, The Sims 3.

Erei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 13, 2023, 02:48:03 pm »

the masterwork may have actually been lost in the workshop, and the game keeps track of where announcements happen, which are eventually cleaned out. Besides that, you can see for yourself what all is stored in items. Workshops aren't one, nor are they part of the historical event created whenever a masterwork is made. You're not looking at what you think you're looking at, in other words.

Besides that, "save bloat" is pretty dramatic, since if it were storing the building for every masterwork then your save would increase by a megabyte after making 250,000 of them.
I may have been wrong. I did a test and it was showing me the place of destruction this time around. I rest my case^^
They're not spawning, they're jumping out of ambush. They were sneaking around before, and thus invisible to the player. This has been a feature in the game for 15 years, not sure why people are only noticing it now. Elves have been doing this since release AFAIK.

Items don't have a major effect on FPS, especially if they're just lying around in the caverns. I wouldn't worry about them too much.
I noticed the behaviour when I was standing close to the edge of the map. Really close. My fort was sitting on a corner already, and I went even closer to the corner for the gems "boxes". I killed a wave, then another, then another, then another.... It was not stopping. Yes, they were "sneaking" (invisible) until a dwarf could see them, but one of the warrior went literally at the edge of the map and I saw them spawn there.
I reloaded  because the soldier would not back down (as they do), and was just staring there until a wave spawned, he killed them, then stood there, then another spawned....

I thought it was similar to the "agitated" creatures. As soon as you one "group" is gone (killed or leave the map) another spawn nearly immediately. Until it's some birds that get stuck up in the air and prevent more spawn because they don't come and die right away.

I didn't think those items had any major impact on FPS. But it does freeze the "stock" menu whenI open it on old-ish fortress. I assume that's because of the amount of stuff in said stock.

I still think we need some sanity cleanup. I don't need 1200items (and rising) lying around probably forever. I don't need a giant list of dead/missing that keep on growing. I can check legends for the important killing and all.

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 13, 2023, 03:22:26 pm »

Like... I am not terribly convinced that anyone who thinks this game runs unacceptably slow has ever played another game which is even mildly similar to this one in their life. Try playing Civilization IV sometimes, which is doing less simulation per tick and still takes multiple seconds. Or, hell, The Sims 3.
In my case, it's because of the depth of the game of DF. You get past the first winter in Banished, and why bother continuing? The interesting parts of the game are all in the past.

With DF, it seems there's always something you can try to make this a better fort. The interesting parts are in the future.

I have no qualms saying, "That's good enough" and restarting Surviving Mars or The Planet Crafter to get back into the part of the game I enjoy. DF is different.

[EDIT]
And it really doesn't help that the things the dwarves love, like mist, are FPS hogs.
[/EDIT]
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 03:25:44 pm by Thorfinn »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16