Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Show me your cool central rampway designs  (Read 1791 times)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Show me your cool central rampway designs
« on: December 12, 2022, 11:13:45 pm »

I'm hoping to pick up DF Steam sometime in the coming weeks, and I want to do some cool things with fortress architecture once I have the new version. One of the ways I want to push my architecture is by doing away with the 3x3 central staircase that my fortress designs are typically planned around. However, I want to keep the efficient motion that a central staircase provides... so, ramps! I'm looking for a good-looking rampway design that doesn't take significantly longer for my dwarves to navigate than a staircase would. Anyone here have some ideas for me?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Show me your cool central rampway designs
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2022, 01:07:21 am »

Used this double helix design in one of my old forts:
Code: [Select]
▼██  ▲██  ██▼  █▼▲
█#█  ▼#▼  ▲#▲  █#█
██▼  ██▲  ▼██  ▲▼█

Had a waterfall running through the floor grates. Doesn't require support from sides.

Armok Vision:
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 01:13:42 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

EmperorCoolidge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 01:09:28 pm »

I usually do a 3x3 channeled shaft with a ramp winding around it (so wall-up ramp-channel repeat). Note that this has drawbacks, dwarves can have a nasty fall from e.g. a bad dodge and it's hard to seal against flyers.

Hero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 11:49:57 pm »

I usually do a 3x3 channeled shaft with a ramp winding around it (so wall-up ramp-channel repeat). Note that this has drawbacks, dwarves can have a nasty fall from e.g. a bad dodge and it's hard to seal against flyers.
It's canon though! That's how the procedurally generated forts that you can reclaim or explore in adventure mode are all set up.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2022, 06:51:37 am »

I usually do a 7x7 double helix spiral, three tiles wide on each side.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2022, 02:35:09 pm »

Let me see if I can text-draw this correctly...
Code: [Select]
z=0     z+1     z+2     etc.
..▲██   ██▼..   ..▲██
..▲██   ██▼..   ..▲██
..███   ██▲..   ..▼██
..███   ██▲..   ..▼██

In essence, a 2-wide spiral with ramps on only two of the lateral traverses rather than all four. The advantage I find is that the flat surface (north-south in this example) is easy to either extend into being a hallway or to connect to a different hallway running perpendicular. Not always the best for a "central" ramp-case but fine for "slightly to the side" plans.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2022, 02:05:36 pm »

Here's one I developed and have come to love. The major theme is "massive overkill." The secondary theme is "trying to look like a pinwheel instead of a swastika."

Here's the basic design.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here's the next level, which is smoothed because I happen to have gotten around to smoothing that level.

Here's an aboveground level, carved into the corner of a cliff, with a tower built around it. The center is channeled for power transmission purposes. On the left is wagon access. Wagon access can also be achieved by removing the inner ramps and adding an outer set, but that does add a lot more walking distance for foot traffic.

It looks like it could waste a lot of navigation time, but in practice it really doesn't seem to. This is partly because dwarves never get in each other's way on it. The outer rings are really just for show and don't see a lot of use unless they're in the direction of a destination.