Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (Premium v0.50.05) Low GFPS + Mouse Input Delay Issue  (Read 883 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
(Premium v0.50.05) Low GFPS + Mouse Input Delay Issue
« on: January 07, 2023, 05:54:58 pm »

Wanted to check in to see if anyone else was experiencing this. I found some threads elsewhere about it from early December but there doesn't appear to have ever been a resolution.

The symptoms: Since the 0.50.05 update, in the Premium version, I have been experiencing significant GFPS loss -- it now hovers ~5-7 while unpaused. Mouse input is extremely laggy: clicks sometimes do not register at all, and take >2-3s to register otherwise. While panning the screen there is noticeable hitching as the GUI moves. When paused, GFPS shoots back up to the cap (which I have set at 50). As soon as the game is unpaused, regardless of action (or lack thereof), zoom level, or what is on-screen, GFPS tanks back down to single digits in the span of less than a minute. The UI stuttering and input delay renders the game essentially unplayable while unpaused.

Computational FPS is unaffected, still sitting at my cap of 100 except for occasional dips down into the 80s-90s when there's a lot happening. The actual game is smooth as butter at the same time that the interface is lagging horribly. This is occurring on the exact same modset, worlds, and embarks which were running normally prior to 0.50.05.

I have verified two "solutions", one partial and one total:

1. In the core DF .exe properties, under the compatibility tab, clicking "Change high DPI settings" and toggling on "High DPI scaling override" with "Scaling performed by: System (Enhanced)" selected will result in moderate gains in GFPS. It does not recover to normal levels or performance -- it stabilizes at ~30-35 GFPS and is somewhat playable, albeit with still-noticeable stuttering and delays in the GUI.

2. Switching to ASCII on the premium version totally removes the issue. Likewise, my classic install does not produce the issue at all.

I am setting up a fresh world and embark with minimal mods on my premium install in order to test whether a fresh post-update file will reproduce the issue.

To avoid the pointless questions I saw in responses to previous threads about this issue:
-I do not have an integrated chipset trying to prioritize itself as the GPU.
-I have a solid modern GPU which should not struggle to render a UI.
-My monitor is plugged directly into the GPU, and the plug is seated properly.
-I have not changed my GPU drivers.
-I am not talking about computational FPS. I am talking about GFPS, the second number in parentheses in the FPS readout, which prior to the premium release essentially tied in to nothing.
-I am playing on a 1920x1080 monitor with resolution set to the same.

Just want to get this out there in case other people are struggling with the same problem. Hopefully my testing will indicate that it was a mod/save issue rather than some sort of bizarre performance bug with the UI.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Premium v0.50.05) Low GFPS + Mouse Input Delay Issue
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 01:07:51 am »

I also experience interface lag after a certain threshold of either FPS or playtime, I have not discovered which yet. . . my experience is the lag is great enough to miss mouse click inputs, which can lead to very frustrating mis-designations. lowering G-FPS helps but only in the sense that the lag is less noticeable?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 05:51:33 pm »

Okay, new embark in newly generated world. Same issue recurs.

Another issue is that the Steam ASCII version does not display any of the announcement notifications on the left side. They still exist, you can mouse over them to see the tooltips, but there is nothing there and no way to know that one has come up. The only exceptions are the big alert boxes.

This is a big issue because the vast majority of announcements are configured to not pop up in the alert box, not pause, and not recenter, so you can have all sorts of information you need just never appear at all unless you're aware of the issue and edit the announcements config to feed them all through the alert box. I don't know why the ASCII update was pushed without a working alerts system implemented for it.

3. Run Resize Enable

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2023, 07:14:42 am »

Okay, new embark in newly generated world. Same issue recurs.

Another issue is that the Steam ASCII version does not display any of the announcement notifications on the left side. They still exist, you can mouse over them to see the tooltips, but there is nothing there and no way to know that one has come up. The only exceptions are the big alert boxes.

This is a big issue because the vast majority of announcements are configured to not pop up in the alert box, not pause, and not recenter, so you can have all sorts of information you need just never appear at all unless you're aware of the issue and edit the announcements config to feed them all through the alert box. I don't know why the ASCII update was pushed without a working alerts system implemented for it.
Which tileset are you using?
Vanilla set shows all the alert icons.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2023, 06:15:36 pm »

No tileset.

That's very odd, going to do a full reinstall, might be Steam workshop being shit as usual. I'd expect UI mods to fuck up ASCII but none of them were active when I genned the world.

3. Run Resize Enable

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2023, 03:13:12 am »

No tileset.

That's very odd, going to do a full reinstall, might be Steam workshop being shit as usual. I'd expect UI mods to fuck up ASCII but none of them were active when I genned the world.
They're pretty hard to spot and I really want text announcements back for ascii, but icons are definitely in the Steam release. Sure, maybe a reinstall will bring them back.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2023, 07:09:54 am »

wasn't there something with resolution too? check if yours is taken into account as it should (and your icons are not "out of screen")
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2023, 01:03:53 pm »

No tileset.

They're pretty hard to spot and I really want text announcements back for ascii, but icons are definitely in the Steam release. Sure, maybe a reinstall will bring them back.
No, I mean that I could switch between graphical and ASCII displays and they would vanish in the latter, but the tooltip would still appear if I hovered over the spot where they were supposed to be and I could still click on them to open the report. If I played in ASCII for a while new invisible reports would pop up with the same condition, where I could click them and get the mouseover tooltip but the actual icon would be invisible.

A full uninstall partially fixed the issue -- they show up as empty black boxes without the icon that's supposed to be there.

wasn't there something with resolution too? check if yours is taken into account as it should (and your icons are not "out of screen")
-I am playing on a 1920x1080 monitor with resolution set to the same.
+ per above the report icons exist as buttons I can interact with, but the actual icon never appears.

On the flipside, a full reinstall appears to have resolved the GFPS/GUI lag problem.

3. Run Resize Enable