Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19

Author Topic: Age of Calamity and Regrowth: Discussion Thread - End  (Read 10007 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Calamity and Regrowth: Discussion Thread
« Reply #165 on: April 04, 2023, 12:05:44 pm »

Yeah, that makes sense, fair enough.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 04, 2023, 02:04:24 pm »

Could you clarify mechanics for exploring / moving armies? Should I just give them a direction to go in? With a move of 3 can I explore 3 tiles, or do I only thoroughly explore the one I end my turn on? Or if the mv stat only for tactical combat, and the number of tiles I can move is different?
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 04, 2023, 02:19:34 pm »

When does excess population have it's labor added to the bonus pool? I guess I assumed it'd be the same time as normal population adds it's labor to the normal pool, but that doesn't appear to be the case :P. Is it before population growth but after the turn then?
Originally, yes.
But you're right. Not only does new population growth to 11,000 immediately add a new labor unit, but changing it will simplify the process to avoid mistakes.

I'll change it. You have 11 labor for the turn.
So we calculate pop growth and bonus labor pools, and then use those to produce the luxuries needed to get that pop growth in the first place?

EDIT: I'm definitely lost, does this mean food and luxury upkeeps increase immediately/retroactively as well?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 02:23:30 pm by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 04, 2023, 02:29:32 pm »

Could you clarify mechanics for exploring / moving armies? Should I just give them a direction to go in? With a move of 3 can I explore 3 tiles, or do I only thoroughly explore the one I end my turn on? Or if the mv stat only for tactical combat, and the number of tiles I can move is different?
There's some RNG involved, and trying to explore mountains will be much slower than following a river through grasslands.
Mv is indeed for tactical combat. Standard units move at the same strategic speed, and differences will be noted.
General orders to explore are fine. "Follow the river," "explore east," or "start south and explore counter-clockwise around my city" are all valid orders.

When does excess population have it's labor added to the bonus pool? I guess I assumed it'd be the same time as normal population adds it's labor to the normal pool, but that doesn't appear to be the case :P. Is it before population growth but after the turn then?
Originally, yes.
But you're right. Not only does new population growth to 11,000 immediately add a new labor unit, but changing it will simplify the process to avoid mistakes.

I'll change it. You have 11 labor for the turn.
So we calculate pop growth and bonus labor pools, and then use those to produce the luxuries needed to get that pop growth in the first place?

EDIT: I'm definitely lost, does this mean food and luxury upkeeps increase immediately/retroactively as well?
No, my bad. It's immediate relative to my former plans of "new growth doesn't give bonus labor." They will be born or settled and give bonus labor at the end of the turn, to be used on your next turn.

Nothing you do during your turn will instantly give you labor to use and include in that plan, unless it's very clearly noted, like a genie giving you a wish to cast haste at a single time of your choosing.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 04, 2023, 02:54:32 pm »

Nothing you do during your turn will instantly give you labor to use and include in that plan, unless it's very clearly noted, like a genie giving you a wish to cast haste at a single time of your choosing.

Good to know, I was going to wait and ask about this and my caste system labor pool bonuses when it came up.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 05, 2023, 02:57:08 pm »

Error in my turn, you have me as having construction researched and not farming.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 05, 2023, 03:53:26 pm »

Ok and me and the others really shouldn't have labor bonus already, because that increases before population growth.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 05, 2023, 04:02:52 pm »

Crazyabe, your pens are just normal pastures. They cost 3 labor and 1 wood, just like pastures.
The beasts you're hunting for will allow a pasture to work on desert. They'll make the tile produce 2 food when worked, but they can't be placed next to each other, as the beasts need more space to roam.
I'll confirm that you are allowed to build the pasture and try to catch them in the same turn, as you are doing.
I was going to tell you this as once you found one, but calling it a pen confused the issue and needs to be clarified.

Stirk, the Hall of Learning only has enough space for 3 laborers.

Error in my turn, you have me as having construction researched and not farming.
Fixed now. I changed it in one file and then used the unfixed one for the turn.
The way bonus labor is calculated has been changed, so now it increases after growth.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 04:05:14 pm by Nirur Torir »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 05, 2023, 04:10:54 pm »

So the hall can contain 3000 people but not 4000. Got it.

Fixed, have them making cloths instead.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 05, 2023, 04:30:45 pm »

Why? It makes more sense to increase the bonus before pop, since the bonus represents the work being done by the odd people. This way is more confusing for me because otherwise people arriving during the turn can't work.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 05, 2023, 04:38:56 pm »

I think the time when it'd make the most sense for bonus labor to be calculated is for it to be done at the same time as normal labor produces it's labor. Which I think is where it is now effectively?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 05, 2023, 04:45:00 pm »

Why? It makes more sense to increase the bonus before pop, since the bonus represents the work being done by the odd people. This way is more confusing for me because otherwise people arriving during the turn can't work.
If your population increases to 11,000 during your turn, you'll still have 10 labor for the turn. When I write the update and say you officially have 11,000 population, I'll say that you have 11 labor.

If you have 8/10 bonus labor and your population increases from 10,800 to 11,200, shouldn't an update say that you now have 11 labor and 8+2/10 bonus labor, giving you that 12th laborer, if we want them to start working at the same time?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 05, 2023, 04:58:30 pm »

I dunno but I already done two turns this way and I don't wanna redo stuff :(

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 05, 2023, 05:15:48 pm »

Honestly I think it's sorta academic anyway. Your turn is still functional for input isn't it?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 05, 2023, 06:19:18 pm »

If that is just a bonus for the odd people doesn’t that mean 99.9% of our workforce do nothing?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19