Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Friskdingon (Waitlist open)  (Read 4045 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Friskdingon (Waitlist open)
« on: April 07, 2024, 08:04:03 pm »

Friskdingon

It doesn't matter where you came from, we don't talk about that here- it's one of the unspoken rules. It is clear however, from your lighter constitution and uncalloused hands that where you came from, you weren't hunters or farmers. Still, you are determined to make it out here in The North. This clearing with a small river running past will be the beginning of your new home: Friskdingon.

What this is about and some basic Information

With you there are about 40 other NPCs living in the Village. No Chief of the Village has been chosen yet.

Currency: 1 Gold = 10 Silver= 100 copper (though no metal is mined in the Village as yet, you still stick to old conventions)

Gameplay
You will be making a schedule for 10 years. There are a few actions you can do, and potential for other actions exist. Each person can
Claim fields - 1 year - making decent farmable land in such a forested area takes a serious amount of effort to clear the brush, etc.
Hunting/Fishing/Foraging - 1 year, basically ensures you have food for the year but not very profitable unless you're really good at it.
Farm - Farm any available fields. Output depends on total field size and number of people farming. You will spend 10 food per adult, 5 per child, and any excess will be sold based on economy.
Have baby - Matriarch only, takes 1 year. Remember the year - having many children is dangerous and taxing on resources. You can reliably have children up to age 35. Trying to have children between the ages of 35 and 50 has increasingly high chances of both not working at all, and causing you or your child to die.
Explore - Your character leaves town for a number of years to explore the surrounding lands.
Raid - Spend a year Raping, Murdering, Pillaging and Burning any other people living nearby. Requires knowldegge of nearby settlements. Remember to bring along some friends. And prepare for angry folks getting back to you and Friskdingon.
Learn a trade down South - Your character leaves town for 5 years to learn a trade as an apprentice.This costs 1 gold. Example: Blacksmithing, pottery, milling, carpentry, etc...(only works of course if you know of any neighbours who have one or possibly already have one in the village. Feel free to ask about odd professions)
Build a basic house - 4 person-years. Builds something better than a teepee.
Logging - The land is rich with forests, so most timber is sold to traders. This is dangerous work but is a good way to earn coin for unskilled workers.
Other - I will allow reasonable actions and creativity, but they will be more heavily influenced by random numbers than set actions. Any "Official" action will be cataloged in the first two posts of this game.
You may perform any action as "instructive", in which case it will be undertaken at -1 skill level, but will also increase the chance people of lower skill (3 lower is best) level it up.

Other rules :
There are usually 5 notable dynasties alive at the same time (though many famous individuals don't belong to them), if one dies out a new one quickly rises to prominence (from the wait list)
You should not make the last member of your dynasty leave the Village of Finsterforst permanently. Doing is equivalent to resigning the game.
Your characters must always have food. If they do not, money will be spent at a current rate of 1 copper/food unit. This is dependent on the economy, so it is possible for your characters to run out of money/food and default to the "Hunt/Fish/Forage" action. A grown character needs 10 food units to avoid malnutrition.
Children are useless until age 10, but only consume half the food (5 units)
Children must either leave the household at age 30 or become the new patriach/matriarch. If they leave, they will provide money to the current matriach based on overall experience and health. Elders will be assumed to be retired.
You may designate any family member 20 year old and over as a new matriarch or patriach, if you do they will be automatically married to someone of the same social class unless you are willing to pay for a better class.
Skill level goes from 0 (never tried) through 1-2 (usually seen in apprentices), 4-5 (respectable professional), 7-8 (master) to a maximum of 10 (rare even in The South), with levels being exponentially harder to achieve the higher they are.
Your starting characters will come with either 3 skills at aprentice level (2) or 1 skill at professional level (4) each. Children are born with no skills and must learn them through use/instruction.

Players:
  • Riley (UristMcRiley)
  • Caesar (Maximum Spin)
  • Eisnar (Taricus)
  • Sheikh (Kashyyk)
  • Aderland (Oakrose905)

Waitlist:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 06:27:00 pm by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Friskdingon (Iron age village simulator)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2024, 09:38:40 am »

Clan Riley

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well this seems interesting hopefully I filled out my character sheet correctly I look forward to participating in this game the concept certainly seems entertaining.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2024, 10:18:41 am »

Spoiler:  Caesar Dynasty (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 04:44:35 pm by Maximum Spin »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2024, 10:35:56 am »

Spoiler: Character Sheet(Riley) (click to show/hide)
[/quote]
Added.

Provisionally added. However it's worth pointing out that no one in the village currently has any animals to ranch, and the immediate area is rather wooded (of course exploration might yield a nearby grassland, or it might not.) Cooking is currently not a mechanic (unless you plan to run a diner.) Leadership might get you elected chief, but I'm not sure it's a useful skill in the day-to-day of a villager (chief is not a full time job.) So  you might want to rethink some of those skills (or not- you will gain skills through use, after all.)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2024, 11:34:51 am »

Spoiler: Clan Eisnar (click to show/hide)
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2024, 11:41:24 am »

Spoiler: Sheikh Family (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 11:57:39 am by Kashyyk »

Oakrose905

• Bay Watcher
  • A big nerd for designing things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2024, 11:58:16 am »

Spoiler: Aderland Dynasty Sheet (click to show/hide)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2024, 02:19:36 pm »

all accepted.

And you may begin posting your 10-year plans.

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2024, 02:28:06 pm »

Clan Riley Turn 1:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2024, 03:00:37 pm »

Clan Eisnar Turn 1:
Hallstein:
Year 1: Build Basic House
Year 2: Build Basic House
Year 3: Claim Fields
Year 4: Farm
Year 5: Farm
Year 6: Farm
Year 7: Farm
Year 8: Farm
Year 9: Farm
Year 10: Farm

Sigrun:
Year 1: Build Basic House
Year 2: Build Basic House
Year 3: Claim Fields
Year 4: Have Baby
Year 5: Have Baby
Year 6: Claim Fields
Year 7: Claim Fields
Year 8: Claim Fields
Year 9: Claim Fields
Year 10: Claim Fields
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2024, 04:28:58 pm »

Provisionally added. However it's worth pointing out that no one in the village currently has any animals to ranch, and the immediate area is rather wooded (of course exploration might yield a nearby grassland, or it might not.) Cooking is currently not a mechanic (unless you plan to run a diner.) Leadership might get you elected chief, but I'm not sure it's a useful skill in the day-to-day of a villager (chief is not a full time job.) So  you might want to rethink some of those skills (or not- you will gain skills through use, after all.)
I see. I was hoping leadership would be helpful with raids and maybe education or at least organizing, and my thought process for cooking was more in the vein of preserving foods, which would be valuable in such a situation... the patriarch is just a spoiled Roman royal brat, though, so I didn't expect the leadership skill to be too useful.
Well, I can work with something like, for Ptolemy:
  • Hunting (2)
  • Exploring (2)
  • Leadership (2)

and for Selene, how about
  • Farming (2)
  • Construction (2)
  • Trade (2)

?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2024, 04:33:36 pm »

that works.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2024, 05:37:28 pm »

Spoiler: Turn 1 Plan (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sheikh Family (click to show/hide)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2024, 09:22:04 pm »

Oakrose905

• Bay Watcher
  • A big nerd for designing things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2024, 11:47:52 pm »

Aderland Dynasty Plan (10 Years)
Conrad
Year 1: Build House (1/4)
Year 2: Build House (2/4)
Year 3: Build House (3/4)
Year 4: Build House (4/4)
Year 5: Farm
Year 6: Farm
Year 7: Claim Field
Year 8: Claim Field
Year 9: Farm
Year 10: Explore (Quarry Focus)

Amelia:
Year 1: Forage
Year 2: Forage
Year 3: Forage
Year 4: Forage
Year 5: Have Baby
Year 6: Work (Pottery)
Year 7: Farm
Year 8: Farm
Year 9: Preserve Food (Pottery)
Year 10: Farm

Spoiler: Aderland Dynasty Sheet (click to show/hide)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4