Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 189

Author Topic: Migrursut: What Comes After The World Ends? [Epilogue] (A Community Fort)  (Read 376689 times)

CanadianWolverine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrursut: Goodness is a Choice (A Community Fort)
« Reply #1530 on: December 18, 2008, 02:21:22 am »

War'dunell Dakostuzol 2nd of Sandstone, 1067

You have got to be shitting me.

I may be just a casual worshiper of Lenod, so I honestly don't give a giant rat's arse about going to a temple, but to say my god doesn't exist. What the fuck. But who am I kidding, I wouldn't want to make a scene about it, I will just write down how I feel about this here. It almost makes me wish this place grew trees so I would drop out of military service to this dwarven dickhead and go wood cutting with my lovely axes.

Seriously, how does he not expect this to blow up in his face like poorly maintained still?

*You see here a sketch of a female dwarf flying out a explosion brandishing a war axe above her head with male dwarves cowering in fright before the dwarven projectile*

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: December 18, 2008, 03:48:19 am »

Excerpt from the Journal of Makrond, c.1067

Akim's thousand daggers pierce Aryn's cold, shrivelled heart... and lungs, and pancreas.

The fool has the nerve to ban religious ceremonies! He of all people should know that the devoutly religious in this hellhole are not people to be crossed. Meng's death may have been a step too far, but two unforgivable acts do not make a right. Ah, but I'm letting him get to me again.

Perhaps it is time... but no, I cannot think of such things. It is not yet time. I think I shall train much harder than I did before, that I may be ready when the time does come.

And I will be ready.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: December 18, 2008, 04:58:31 am »

Diary of Sarek
Entry two

I never expected this, I mean I do love this place and all it's splendor but these incidents are too frequent. I mean what could drive anybody to do such a thing to poor Meng I am just glad they had managed to get it all cleared up before I had gotten there to see what all the fuss was about.

And now Aryn has placed this ban on worship I am at a crossroad one the one hand I wish to fufil my duty, but is it right to forsake the gods in order to do so? Well I have alot to think about but I guess there is little else to do but continue my training in my hope to join the ranks of heroes who wander these halls. If am still alive which in this place I have my doubts sometimes.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: December 18, 2008, 09:59:08 am »

Well that certainly lit a fire under everyone!  Huzzahs are in order.

Except there's a possibility that might be the last update you're left with for a week and a half, or so.  I've got all next week off and plan to go back to Kentucky to visit the family and the girlfriend, both of which have placed a Dwarf Fortress Embargo on me.  I'll try to pump an entry or two out tonight, but so far my list looks like:
* Buy two more Christmas Presents
* Dentist Appointment
* Pack and wrap everything
* make/get + eat dinner
* Booby trap my house
* do the dishes

Regardless of if I get anything done tonight or not - Happy Holidays, to all my readers.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: December 18, 2008, 02:00:04 pm »

Diary of maggarg.
Aryn has closed down all the temples.
I'm actually pretty miffed, not because I believe in gods, but because temples and such are full of lovely ornaments. Ah, I remember the first time I went to a church back in the summer of '39 with "Skinner" Likotmas. They don't build lava traps like them these days, but it was worth it just to get that jade monkey. 'Course, it was cursed, which is why I gave it to my father-in law at that present time. Serves him right for that crossbow wedding.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: December 18, 2008, 02:07:25 pm »

Adol stood outside, watching the sun slow rise over the desert. His head bowed in prayer, his thoughts turned towards the edict against religion. Listast needs no ceremony, no temple. The dawn returns each morning, bringing light back to the land. That...that is proof enough of gods. And no edict of Aryn's can stop it.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: December 18, 2008, 10:52:09 pm »

From the Diary of Eita

Aryn's going to get himself killed. I know it. There's no way this thing will be resolved amicably, but at least it doesn't effect me as while my belief in Zefon is true, I need no temple to praise his glory, nor prayers to convince me of his grace. The fact that this fortress survives at all is proof of his divine majesty, and the sheer beauty of Zoden Zefon doesn't hurt either. I still remember Zoden Zefon, so very many years ago. I had made the basic assumption that greats gravitated to great things, and the results had been promising. Then there was that whole thing with an island in the middle of an ocean that turned out not to exist, but at least I managed to get to the glacier.

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: December 19, 2008, 09:06:17 am »

Everyone keeps referring to Zefon as "he."  Zefon is most definitely female.
"The power of Zefon compels you!"

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: December 19, 2008, 09:57:00 am »

My bad...

Are you going to type a response to my post soon?

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: December 19, 2008, 12:52:12 pm »

I didn't know that you expected a response from me.  On the undead question, Kuli would probably just say "I don't know."  He really isn't sure how to react to existence of Likot and the others.  They do make him uncomfortable, but he doesn't hate them.  There's just no accounting for the undead in the Zefonist belief structure, I think.

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: December 19, 2008, 07:05:04 pm »

If I may come with a suggestion as to the Zefon-zombie buisness?

While Zefonists are pacifists and Zefon herself is a decidedly nice goddess, say that the zombies are experiencing the equivilant of Zefonist hell/purgatory. Not hell/purgatory in the traditional sense, oh no. Zefon help it, no.

They're in the zombie state because either they have been particularly cruel during life and thus Zefon sees the need to keep them truly away from the eternal cycle of reincarnation until Zefon feels they've learnt their lesson and may enter the cycle once more ("Hell"), or she may feel that they have much more to offer to Dwarfity and, though they may have been slightly misguided in their living form, are given a chance to fulfill what Zefon feels to be what they must do for Dwarfity ("Purgatory)

Personally, this is how I fit in zombies in the Zefonic belief system, although I'll have to leave the final call to Kuli, the resident priest of Zefon.
It's like Schrödinger's cat spinning violently around your head vomiting multicolored flickering 1s and 0s on your eyeballs just trying to contemplate that on any meaningful level.
Follow the ups and down of Urist McBeard, Minerdorf

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: December 20, 2008, 11:17:05 am »

Lenod's female too. Oops.

Bloodclocks and....that other guy...will be appearing soon. PM me with the sort of personality you want me to write them as, if you like.

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: December 20, 2008, 01:29:37 pm »

Concepts like "hell" and "purgatory" or even "heaven" for that matter don't exist in Zefonism, I think.  You're either reborn through Zefon, or you stay dead forever.  And permanent death basically means your soul ceases to exist entirely.  This is why zombies bother Kuli, because they exist outside of the absolute life-death dichotomy that he believes in.

Now, regular zombies like the Dread Camels are easily explained away as soulless constructs that are animated by dark magics.  In the case of Likot and the others, though, it seems clear that they still have either a soul or at least a consciousness and are thus "alive" despite having died.

That's what *I* think, anyway, but I'm not the one writing this story.  Ultimately, Zefonism is whatever Heavy Flak wants it to be.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: December 21, 2008, 12:30:38 pm »

While the girlfriend cleans and I "look up recipes" for cookies, I can pop in real quick.  I knew I wouldn't be able to stay away...

The Gods were, originally, left intentionally blank because I had no defined idea of what to do with them.  I probably wouldn't have done anything with them but with a lot of things with this story, reader-interaction slowly pushed them to the forefront.  That's something I like quite a lot, for the record, because it wasn't forced.  A totally natural progression.

With that said, the gods have been mostly left up to their respective "priests" - Kuli with Zefon, Stravitch having forced his way in with Lenod's fiery rage, Litast and... (crap, who made mention of Litast?), and a variety of the "minor" gods. 

Anyway, point is, feel free to discuss away and give this story a much richer background!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: December 21, 2008, 03:20:22 pm »

Listat would be Adol. Not that he's a priest or anything, but I think I've mentioned the gentler day god the most.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 189