Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 189

Author Topic: Migrursut: What Comes After The World Ends? [Epilogue] (A Community Fort)  (Read 376694 times)

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrursut: Goodness is a Choice (A Community Fort)
« Reply #2205 on: October 21, 2009, 04:10:17 pm »

Just thought I'd pop in here to say I finished reading this thread about a week ago. Took me a month on a Blackberry, but I did it.

Flak, the writing is excellent, and I salute you. The reference (gods, the references) are well timed and perfectly executed. (Vatek/Rorschach and Hikan/The Comedian are my favorites!)

The dead dwarf with the sword through his ribs is really bugging me, because I know! it was in a story post. Just can't remember who it was. Dammit. I hope somebody goes back through the thread to find it, but I simply can't bring myself to do it now. Maybe later.  ;D

Diary of maggarg
Rice and sulari found an ol' corpse in some room that's been locked for years. Probably since before I got here. Apparently it might have been the tax collector, and the corpse is pretty much a skeleton, despite the dry air here that normally stops stuff rotting. Hikan is in a sourer mood than normal, dunno why. On the plus side, that hammerer hasn't tried to follow up on his little meeting, so I'll probably never have to deal with him.

Was that deliberate, or have you not been paying attention to what happens to dwarves that give HF a straight line like that?  :D

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: October 21, 2009, 04:34:31 pm »

Just thought I'd pop in here to say I finished reading this thread about a week ago. Took me a month on a Blackberry, but I did it.

Flak, the writing is excellent, and I salute you. The reference (gods, the references) are well timed and perfectly executed. (Vatek/Rorschach and Hikan/The Comedian are my favorites!)

The dead dwarf with the sword through his ribs is really bugging me, because I know! it was in a story post. Just can't remember who it was. Dammit. I hope somebody goes back through the thread to find it, but I simply can't bring myself to do it now. Maybe later.  ;D

Diary of maggarg
Rice and sulari found an ol' corpse in some room that's been locked for years. Probably since before I got here. Apparently it might have been the tax collector, and the corpse is pretty much a skeleton, despite the dry air here that normally stops stuff rotting. Hikan is in a sourer mood than normal, dunno why. On the plus side, that hammerer hasn't tried to follow up on his little meeting, so I'll probably never have to deal with him.

Was that deliberate, or have you not been paying attention to what happens to dwarves that give HF a straight line like that?  :D
Pretty deliberate. Maggarg seems to have been avoiding his no doubt nasty fate for a while now, and it could be said he's done a lot of bad stuff, unfortunately for him, not limited to his normal grand theft.
Also I'm pretty sure I dimly remember something about that dwarf as well.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
  • Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: October 21, 2009, 04:42:22 pm »

wow, 147 pages.....
Well, 20 down, shittones more to go XD just the way I like my reading.
Really good story from what i've read so far.
Just asking, but are there any unnamed/claimed dorfs running about the place at the moment?
And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: October 21, 2009, 04:55:33 pm »

Alright, I've got a theory about who the skull and bones belongs to.

Rimtar Woundletters, the retard psionic who wielded a maple sword as displayed in this story post.

Problem is that she evidently died in battle a short time later. But she had both lungs pierced, which for a champion, is enough time to get to a bed while they suffocate. So then Heavy Flak locked the door or something, I don't know.

Hikan's detective skills must have rubbed off on me.

I've got an idea! Follow the bones to the coffin as the dwarves haul it, and see who the coffin belongs to!
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: October 21, 2009, 05:42:55 pm »

wasn't she the one who punched a colossus to death, and then if i remember correctly got the statue of it placed in her room?  so if that was the case.. was there a colossus statue in the room?
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

sdp0et

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: October 21, 2009, 07:57:50 pm »

I thought I remembered a soldier being locked in her room after she she went crazy started attacking people after she lost a child or something. 

Then again, maybe I'm the murderer and am introducing wild theories to confuse everyone.
sdp0et has been stressed lately. He was been accosted by work recently. He has been annoyed by coworkers. He admired a wonderful bed today. He admired a wonderful woman today.  He needs Coca-Cola to get through the working day.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: October 22, 2009, 10:25:49 am »

Quote from: Jim Groovester
I've got an idea! Follow the bones to the coffin as the dwarves haul it, and see who the coffin belongs to!

I watched as a dwarf grabbed the skull and carried it upstairs to the graveyard.  The clothing and armor were put back in the stockpile, and melted down... was this a merchant?  Did I kill a diplomat or something?

Quote from: Vactor
wasn't she the one who punched a colossus to death, and then if i remember correctly got the statue of it placed in her room?  so if that was the case.. was there a colossus statue in the room?

I put the statue in front of the barracks where her room was, but hey - no statue there either.  What is going on!

Quote from: sdp0et
Then again, maybe I'm the murderer and am introducing wild theories to confuse everyone.

"No, sdp0et, you are the demons." 
Then sdp0et was a zombie.

Quote from: Maggarg - Eater of chicke
Pretty deliberate. Maggarg seems to have been avoiding his no doubt nasty fate for a while now, and it could be said he's done a lot of bad stuff, unfortunately for him, not limited to his normal grand theft.

Maggarg just had his room robbed, so don't say he doesn't have something coming his way <3

Quote from: [quote author=sdp0et
Just asking, but are there any unnamed/claimed dorfs running about the place at the moment?

You're more than welcome to submit a dwarf, but I don't know if there will be any added any time soon.  We're not getting migrants again because of the high number of deaths. 

Once this story wraps up, and Toady releases the next version in August of 2012, I'm going to be starting up a new community fort most likely.  So how's this for fair - anyone who wants a Dwarf, and is on the list, but doesn't get in before the story ends, gets first pick the next go-around?

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: October 22, 2009, 10:57:24 am »

Quote from: Maggarg - Eater of chicke

Maggarg just had his room robbed, so don't say he doesn't have something coming his way <3
The nastier the better  ;D.

Once this story wraps up, and Toady releases the next version in August of 2012 2112, I'm going to be starting up a new community fort most likely.  So how's this for fair - anyone who wants a Dwarf, and is on the list, but doesn't get in before the story ends, gets first pick the next go-around?
Dwarf fortress is apparently allowed by the Priests of Syrinx.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
  • Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: October 22, 2009, 02:40:06 pm »

Alrighty, dorf ready to report for duty in three years  :P

Name: Nikolai
Profession: If possible either Weaponsmith or some military position.
Appearance: Extremely small, even for a dwarf, his head comes to the waist of most dwarves, though his beard is a normal dwarfish length, giving the odd impression of a beard with legs sticking out of it.
Personality: Very aggressive, especially if comments are made about his sub-dwarven height, has been known to use said height to target some very.... painful parts in the ensuring fight, for this purpose he has taken to attaching a spike to whatever headwear he is currently wearing.

alrighty then, back to reading for me, might make it haldway through before my eyes start bleeding =D
And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: October 22, 2009, 11:15:57 pm »

Let the bones be put into a coffin. Won't it then be marked as "so-and-so's grave?" Or was that only in earlier versions of the game?
"The power of Zefon compels you!"

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: October 23, 2009, 07:20:59 am »

If the skull is taken to the graveyard (stockpile), instead of to a coffin designated for burial, as HF says, then the skeleton should not belong to a dwarf. All dwarves are buried, even goblin-raised hostile dwarves.

The dwarf bones, and normal sized clothing say otherwise, though.
Did you, at any time, turn a non-dwarf creature into a dwarf with DC?

Or, maybe, there is a time limit for the remains to be buried...
Or, maybe, job cancellation (because the body was behind a locked door) will permanently cancel burial orders.

EDIT: Also, I have revived dwarves with DC sometimes.. The corpse remains.. You can even have multiple corpses of 1 dwarf lying about. I never paid attention to the bones, but they are not put in a coffin.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 07:26:11 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: October 27, 2009, 03:09:30 pm »

The events of the 2nd of Timber, 1070

Quote and Lugnut stood at the end of the bridge, shielding their eyes from the sun as they stared up to the top of the tower.  Occasionally Lugnut would look down to the blueprints he held, tracing a line with a charcoal pencil.  The doors at the tower opened, and Madam Dodik stepped onto the bridge, glaring at the pair.

"Ma'am, that's a terrible place to stand!" Quote shouted.  "Come over here, with us!"
Madam Dodik narrowed her eyes, but listened, stepping off of the grates and onto the wooden bridge. 

"And the verdict is?" She asked slowly.  "Rinsesilver is getting quite irritated with your work ethic."
"Should be fixed, ma'am," Lugnut said.  He held the blue prints out towards her, and she leaned in to examine them, fingers gripping the top of her dress to keep it from slipping down. 

"See, what we did, we added a retaining wall around the water wheels.  That'll keep in any overflow, and we can attach some more water wheels once we..." he paused as he rustled the paper.  "you know, keep the merchants alive long enough to trade with them."

Madam Dodik said nothing, just gave a curt nod of approval.  Quote beamed and cupped her hands around her mouth.  "START IT UP!"

There was a horrendous sound as stone gears scraped together, and in the distance mist began to rise from the churning of the water wheels.  Water began to fall from the tower, splashing down to the grates, rainbows flashing in the mist.  Quote and Lugnut clapped and hugged; Madam Dodik couldn't help but smile as her face was tickled with the water vapors. 

"Why is the water rushing over the edges of the bridge."
"Uhhh..." the duo said, in unison.
"It's not fixed, is it?" Dodik snapped.
"No, no, it is!" Lugnut said quickly.  "That's just backup from the system, let it go for a day, it'll clear out, and be fine... it'll be fine..." he said hopefully.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: October 29, 2009, 11:50:45 am »

Bunch of travel coming up.  I'm going to Vegas next week for ... get this, the finales of Professional Bull Riding.  And some gambling, and some show girls.  But still, bunch of travel, coupled with NaNoWriMo means that updates will be sporadic.

But you guys are used to that by now, right?  :)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: October 29, 2009, 11:55:14 am »

Hehe. We can wait. We wait for the next release of DF, we wait for Migrursut posting, we wait...a good deal, it seems.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: October 30, 2009, 08:55:28 pm »

Not related at all to anything, really, but Stravitch reminded me just how much I love Folk Metal, and listening to this song reminded me of how bad-ass Dwarves are. 

So give it a listen if you like:

Dwarves
Metal
Sausages
Violins
Vikings
The Polish

Don't listen to it if you're:

A stick in the mud
A Dave Matthews fan
Deaf
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 189