Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 202

Author Topic: NecroThreat IV: Fortress for BFEL, God of Necromancy  (Read 505619 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: NecroThreat IV: Fortress for BFEL, God of Necromancy
« Reply #2040 on: August 22, 2017, 01:58:33 pm »

Ok, fair enough. Just thinking.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: August 24, 2017, 06:19:39 pm »

Hey, may I another turn.
Is it just me, or was Apiks like a more evil version of Vetinari from Discworld in that post?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: August 24, 2017, 06:24:52 pm »

Vetinari is that guy that people really don't like, but who is too valuable to get rid of, correct?

What specific parts made you draw that comparison?

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: August 24, 2017, 06:27:25 pm »

Apiks talked to Scoot kind of like Vetinari talks to people, but more evil. Scoot also reminds me of Drumknot.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: August 24, 2017, 06:31:51 pm »

Got it.

Who was Scoot, by the way? I have no recollection of them. They new?

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: August 25, 2017, 12:42:03 am »

Events
Rogue left the body he had claimed.  The mind was intact, enough of which to function without drawing notice.  The mind control he retained on it would be enough until he returned, keeping it within line.  No one should notice, unless a battle started suddenly outside, and he'd already checked to ensure nothing of the sort was happening. 

Down through level after level of the fortress, he made his way to the flooded portion. Slipping through stonework, engravings, and occasionally through forumites who suddenly convulsively shuddered.  Down, and into the depths where several leaders had never bothered to clear out.  Water was stored, a sort of unintended cistern, catching from an old breach in the aquifer. 

Moving down, and into the water, he found his way to the door.  It's glow remained, but he thought he saw flickering of other colors.  Summoning up some green magic, a section of the water moved away from a quickly formed ball of ice.  Rogue moved it forward only stopping just before the door. 

Rogue began to question, something he hadn't had the opportunity to do for a long while.  Why was he here.  What was the point of it all.  Why bother to oppose Apiks.  What would happen when he discovered what was behind the door.  His resolve shook for a minute, maybe more. 

Carefully, he arranged his thoughts in order, striking down those he could, tucking away the other thoughts for a time when he could think.  He came down here to answer at least one of his questions, he was determined to find the answers, one way or another.  Carefulrogue had lost much.  His identity, much of his purpose, oceans of certainty, and even a passing sense of control.  But he still had curiosity.

With a ghostly hand, Rogue knocked on the door, with a calm and collected manner.  One way or another.

Time to discover what the Orchestra is.
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: August 25, 2017, 01:14:05 am »

Hey, may I another turn.
Is it just me, or was Apiks like a more evil version of Vetinari from Discworld in that post?

I don't really have a clue as to who Vetinari is since I haven't read the books with him in it. Still, for those that haven't noticed, the reason Apiks is so different from his previous self is because he had to pretend to be another person for more than half a decade and it kinda stuck, reverting to his original personality only when serious.

Got it.

Who was Scoot, by the way? I have no recollection of them. They new?

Scoot is the new character I introduced in my latest story post that got drowned by your discussion of forumechs. Inspiration was derived directly from Brandon Sanderson's Warbreaker, as shameless that is. Considering we already ripped off of the Wheel of Time before, it probably doesn't matter that much.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: August 25, 2017, 08:11:52 am »

I’ll admit it. I’m not a particularly big fan of going outside, what with Armok’s allseeing eyes being there, but I should’ve known an inspection was needed. I should’ve known that leaving this place in the hands of madmen, fanatics and peasants would lead to some rather… questionable decisions.

But this… I have no words for this. The outside base is quite literally… riddled with holes and tunnels. I have no clue whose idea it was that building trenches inside our own encampment was a good idea, but if I knew, they’d be the ones on which the new floor would be built.

I’ve ordered all of the trenches to be filled with stone and a floor to be properly put in place. But that’s not even the least of my problems. While I was trying to even get outside, I found out that none of the levers in the lever room are linked to the most important bridges! Only the bottom left one works and that’s for the side entrance!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Scoot assures me he’ll find out who did this, but I doubt he’s honest when saying that. More likely he’s just saying it to appease me. Probably thinks I’ll execute my way to find the interloper. Even I wouldn’t do that! I’d run out of bones at an alarming rate if I did that. How silly of Scoot. Must be why he’s called that.

On the other hand we have children. A lot of them. We have 19 children! That’s 19 mouths to feed and 19 idle hands! The enemy won’t wait, and neither should we. As I watch this document that Scoot has written up for me, I officially stamp it with my signature, giving it the full authority of the King of Necrothreat.

“Let it be known that the exports of toy axes are to be banned and that their production is to be increased! I will not leave our children defenseless in the future! It is our duty to them to guarantee that they know how to fight. May they grow to be strong warriors, capable of battling the armies of Armok and Ur, and serving me in their full capacity! You have my blessing!” was written on the document in a fancy, but easy to read font.

Of course if the war was prolonged long enough for them to grow up to their full fighting potential, we probably would have already lost the war by then. Then again I cannot predict the future, only prepare for it. Let us hope that our efforts are not for naught.

A month after my rule Scoot brought a report on our food supply and I discovered that it had hardly improved even after all the attention I brought to it! A closer look later and I discovered that the problem was self-evident. We simply lacked a big enough refuse pile for the meat to be put. Our previous one, the very first one I had built during my first rule, was overflowing with, it both pains my heart and fills it with joy as I say this, bones.

This is absolutely unacceptable! Those bones must be put to good use serving me! I’ve ordered the nearby craftsman’s workshop to begin the full production of bone crowns at maximum priority. One may wonder why I would have my own symbol of rule cheapened with such quantity. The answer is simple. It takes a lot of failures until you get a great success, a masterwork if you will. It may lack the power of the original Bone Crown, but I am certain that over time, if it survives long enough I may infuse it with my very own essence. But for that to happen it must be of the highest quality.

Back to the problem of food, I’ve been forced to delay my new royal chambers in favor of building a proper kitchen for the fortress. I hope my people will recognize the sacrifices I make for them. Scoot assures me that will be the case, but bah, when has he been a person of the people?

On the flipside I’ve also discovered that the dining room, which I’ve never visited before as I ate all my meals in the barracks, was also made by a madman. All the tables and chairs are arranged around a quite literal hole. And it’s not just one hole. There’s five holes in the entire room! I’ve had them plugged in as well. It is my hope to build walls on top of the newly built floor afterwards. What’s with the previous overseers and holes? It’s not even that interesting to have a hole.

Which leads me to another note. There are, in fact, levers to the north of the dining room. The same levers I was looking for earlier during my outside inspection. What in my name are they flippin’ doing down here? I understand the need for backup levers, but in the dining room? And they call me mad.

For some reason the guard dogs I had stationed at the for entrance are now gone. New guard dogs have been stationed there now. I have no clue why anybody would think that not having guard dogs is a good idea. Then again, mad, incompetent forumites make for a terrible combination.

Continuing the tradition of mad inventions the entrance to the noble district appears to have a… non-functional bridge and a functional one. They also have the rather troublesome issue of having their levers hidden, even though they should be in the district itself. At least the person in charge has engraved his name on the floor. I’d have him executed if he was still alive.

What a troublesome place my kingdom is, and a season hasn’t even passed since the renewal of my rule! I do hope we can have a peaceful winter, albeit the food stores do worry me. I need the military to be at full strength for the inevitable necrothreader invasion. Soon. They will soon come.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: August 25, 2017, 09:03:52 am »

Making crowns until you get a masterwork doesn't help the magic. The simple fact that you're mass producing them weakens any magic that you may imbue into any one of them.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: August 25, 2017, 09:16:00 am »

Making crowns until you get a masterwork doesn't help the magic. The simple fact that you're mass producing them weakens any magic that you may imbue into any one of them.

That's not how either quality or magic works and I don't care what excuses you make up. You're just bitter that I can make more crowns, and nobody can stop me.
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: August 25, 2017, 10:43:20 am »

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: August 25, 2017, 10:47:18 am »

That's not how either quality or magic works and I don't care what excuses you make up. You're just bitter that I can make more crowns, and nobody can stop me.
Yes, you're making more crowns. But the first was an Artifact, created for its purpose. Now you're just making magic items, and the magic will be weaker for it. The magic's power is affected by how much you care; you can't really care about that many bone crowns.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: August 25, 2017, 10:47:47 am »

I can make more crowns, and nobody can stop me.

AND THEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED

I was at their concert earlier this year. Lemme tell you that song was pretty damn hype live.
Founder of Teh LOLmod

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: August 25, 2017, 03:34:03 pm »

Apiks, to respond to some of the questioning in your last story post, the lever room is near the dining room, and not near the front entrance, because 1: they are thus in one place. 2: you have a greater chance of blocking necessary things, as the levers are not near where the thing is, a few enemies could get in, but you still block the rest. I didn't actually make the lever room myself, though.
The nonfunctional bridge to the noble quarters is for executions. In retrospect, probably should have given the execution chamber its own spot.
I don't know about any other holes, but one of the holes in the dining room, may be to the atom smasher.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: August 25, 2017, 11:08:28 pm »

I did address the dining room levers later in my post. I was surprised there weren't any functioning levers at the entrance because there were in fact three levers, two of which were non-functional, standing there just for show.

Execution bridge is fine and dandy now that you've told me, but the entire Noble quarters are made to be self-sustainable. So where are the bloody levers?! You can't possibly justify that one.

I don't think the dining room holes are the atom smasher. They just lead to a floor beneath where it's only the holes. Kind of a reverse tower.

But even if we forget all that, I cannot fathom why there are workshops literred everywhere, against just putting them in the original workshop floor I had designed in my first turn.

In short, lots of questionable decisions are in the fortress.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 11:10:11 pm by apiks »
Founder of Teh LOLmod
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 202