Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Query, glass swords = negligible sparring damage?  (Read 1903 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Query, glass swords = negligible sparring damage?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2008, 03:44:10 pm »

I had a tropical saltwater marsh.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008, 07:10:08 pm »

*a metal called "glass"*

I haven't yet read further than this, but I'd like to point out that half the point of sparring weapons is dealing as little damage as possible, which means you don't want anything above base quality.  It'd be better to make a series of reactions that consume raw glass to produce actual glass weapons (as opposed to metallic pseudo-glass ones), since reactions can only create objects of base quality.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008, 09:39:32 pm »

Yes, but sharp stone weapons are as fearsome and dangerous as steel weapons, in spite of being bits of rock strapped to wood  :P Obsidian or not. My understanding was an alternative to wooden and silver weapons was required.  ::)

Well obsidian holds an amazingly sharp edge with very easy hand-tool working, one that takes many many hours of work to hone a steel blade close to and even then the obsidian is going to be sharper.

It's crystalline structure basically ensures that when it's chipped away at in the right methodic way, it forms a keen edge which is sharp down to the molecular level (comparatively anyhow, sharper than most metal cutting tools).

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2008, 10:13:17 pm »

Yes, but sharp stone weapons are as fearsome and dangerous as steel weapons, in spite of being bits of rock strapped to wood  :P Obsidian or not. My understanding was an alternative to wooden and silver weapons was required.  ::)

Well obsidian holds an amazingly sharp edge with very easy hand-tool working, one that takes many many hours of work to hone a steel blade close to and even then the obsidian is going to be sharper.

It's crystalline structure basically ensures that when it's chipped away at in the right methodic way, it forms a keen edge which is sharp down to the molecular level (comparatively anyhow, sharper than most metal cutting tools).
Actually, obsidian can get down to monomolecular edges if handled correctly.  Surgical blades for extremely delicate procedures use obsidian instead of steel for exactly that reason - obsidian makes the sharpest usable blades.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2008, 11:17:52 pm »

No, that's not the point. Worlds smaller than normal use different criteria, and temperature and rainfall are usually less differentiated. So far, even in a medium world, I have never seen a tropical anything biome.

But it works. Do a map that is maximum height and minimum width. You should be able to find some tropical biomes at one end or the other.

I've tried it a good number of times.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.
Pages: 1 [2]