Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Embark Anywhere (2013.1.25.1)  (Read 57503 times)

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
Re: Embark Anywhere (2009.10.02.2)
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2010, 08:20:29 pm »

So what happens if you embark on a preexisting dwarven city? (the ones you can't embark on)
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2010, 08:57:52 pm »

Well, I'm assuming the reason you can't normally is that they look bad. I'd assume you'd get the basic fort as you'd see in adventure mode.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2010, 09:01:09 pm »

Well, I'm assuming the reason you can't normally is that they look bad. I'd assume you'd get the basic fort as you'd see in adventure mode.

Yeah, I realize you'd get the giant shaft with annoying ramps. But you can't embark on them in the game because of that, it's probably because they're sending you out to start a new fort, not improve an old one. I'm wondering what would happen if you did with this mod.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2010, 09:01:39 pm »

well two things
one trees start becoming uncuttable
two the hole under the ground if you dig under that it will be smooth all the way down to Z lvl 0.
other than that beats me.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2010, 11:18:15 pm »

I built on one once.  And yea, nothing special happened, most interesting thing that happened was every tile near the fortress being magically smoothed...even the hidden stone and everything underneath.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

P.S. Oh yea, and it was a MAJOR pain trying to remove all those stairs.  I had 5 citizens fall to their deaths before I noticed because by the time I got the first death message the other 4 were already falling through the air.  I swear the home civ just gives me all the mentally handicapped members.  Lesson learned, staircases don't slow down falling dorfs.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 11:22:12 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

astronom

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2010, 07:39:20 am »

How to embark anywhere in DF2010

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2010, 08:15:20 am »

1) Download EmbarkAnywhere
2) Run DF
3) Run EmbarkAnywhere
4) Close error dialog box (all this means is that you can't use the finder to find a 1x1 spot)
5) Make embark location 1x1
6) Hit e

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2010, 12:08:19 pm »

1) Download EmbarkAnywhere
2) Run DF
3) Run EmbarkAnywhere
4) Close error dialog box (all this means is that you can't use the finder to find a 1x1 spot)
5) Make embark location 1x1
6) Hit e
It doesn't work (at least in 31.13  ???).

BatCountry

• Bay Watcher
  • We can't stop here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2010, 10:16:24 am »

Get  yourself a memory editor with disassembly (I used Cheat Engine).

I looked for the search pattern in the Embark Anywhere source and found that only part of the code changes.

Search for (in hex) 66 83 7F 1A FF from the site selector in DF.

Should only find one memory address. Right click that and hit Disassemble.  Change the next instruction (should be JE and some numbers) to "NOP" (doubleclick it in Cheat Engine).  Since it's a two-byte instruction it'll prompt you to replace all of them with NOPs.  Do so.

Embark anywhere and enjoy!

This works in 31.16

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2010, 08:03:12 pm »

Full Quote:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Embark anywhere and enjoy!

This works in 31.16

This needs wiking, asap. I've been looking for a way to embark anywhere recently, and I am about to go try this out.
I really can't thank you enough for the idea! (Without looking like an idiot.)
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

BatCountry

• Bay Watcher
  • We can't stop here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2010, 08:10:48 pm »

Sadly it seems like human/dwarf/goblin sites are almost entirely empty in dwarf mode. Not sure if that's because the sprawl is calculated but not genned until you go there in adventure mode or what.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2010, 08:51:17 pm »

I'm not entirely sure that I'm using CE correctly, but when I search for that value I get 5,000 (aprox) results.
Could you just spell out clearly like you would to a total idiot what exactly the value we're looking for is? (I assumed it was a 2 byte type.)
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2010, 09:16:26 pm »

I'm not entirely sure that I'm using CE correctly, but when I search for that value I get 5,000 (aprox) results.
Could you just spell out clearly like you would to a total idiot what exactly the value we're looking for is? (I assumed it was a 2 byte type.)

Search for:

(in hex) 66 83 7F 1A FF

Note that that not only tells you what type (hex) but it is VASTLY longer than 2 bytes (it is in fact 5).

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2010, 09:31:40 pm »

Search for:
(in hex) 66 83 7F 1A FF
Note that that not only tells you what type (hex) but it is VASTLY longer than 2 bytes (it is in fact 5).
Okay, I will utterly admit that question was down to my own stupidity, but, I had tried /all/ the types, including the correct one - Array of Bytes.
Not sure why it didn't show up first time around, but now I am seeing the correct results.

Gosh, and I call myself a programmer. >.>;
In my defense, though, I got confused after it didn't show up the first time, and on later reading just managed to pick out:
Since it's a two-byte instruction it'll prompt you to replace all of them with NOPs.

Problem solved!

BatCountry

• Bay Watcher
  • We can't stop here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2010, 11:00:28 pm »

Yeah, it's actually the next instruction after that string of bytes.  I believe 74 04 is the instruction (it's a two-byte instruction) which disassembles to "JE 0182838e"

You'll need to check "Also scan read-only memory."

Change the part which is "74 04" to "90 90" (same as right clicking the address in the memory viewer in disassemble mode and clicking "replace with code that does nothing")

Sorry if my instructions were unclear.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7