Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how to achieve Quatum Travel aka body swap.  (Read 50371 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
how to achieve Quatum Travel aka body swap.
« on: August 23, 2010, 06:07:03 pm »

daruis has made it possible to body swap with out a cage trap

oh I done this on 31.10 yet I think one can do this with 40d with dwarf companion.
Spoiler: "31.10 version" (click to show/hide)

Anathema found another way to do this with out cage traps and utilities and also dump a save file on the character

now I only found two ways of staying with the same character. first one is simply walking to your destination(which is just as easy as it sounds) second and risky the Travel shuffle, where you have to Travel back you the town(area) you lost your old body to reappear in it then travel to your next destination( risky as this can lead to an ambush and either having to Travel back to the same spot or losing your character in the woods.)
if you wish to return to your old body just go back to the original spot(you might have to travel back to swap bodies.)
Spoiler: warning (click to show/hide)
so now with this you can finally get into the shoes of a law giver, a prisoner, a king, and many more!
edit: thanks for the alt title Kobold
edit: thanks for the alt way of doing it Anathema
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 11:47:43 pm by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
Re: how to achieve Quatum Travel mode
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 06:57:55 pm »

Better title would have been body switching or something...interesting little find. Guess that's one way to "assassinate" higher ups.

Although last time I tried, I wasn't able to run runesmith (maybe I haven't installed all the necessary files/program or cuz' my DF is in another drive entirely, whatever).

[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: how to achieve Quatum Travel mode
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 07:46:01 am »

Better title would have been body switching or something...interesting little find. Guess that's one way to "assassinate" higher ups.

Although last time I tried, I wasn't able to run runesmith (maybe I haven't installed all the necessary files/program or cuz' my DF is in another drive entirely, whatever).
Well this and adding interesting stuff in quests like hired to kill a priest who kill 5 people.
One could body swap a priest hire some lowly companions(and a demon) walk miles into a ruin and park the dude there. Though one has to Travel back to town(in someone else body no less) and retire into the adventurer.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
Re: how to achieve Quatum Travel aka body swap.
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 12:51:35 pm »

If you do stuff while in, say, the law-giver's body, does it show up in their Legends entry?

Also, this means that apparently Toady has the basic framework down for taking control of already-existing folks in the world. Awesome.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 01:10:38 pm »

If you do stuff while in, say, the law-giver's body, does it show up in their Legends entry?

Also, this means that apparently Toady has the basic framework down for taking control of already-existing folks in the world. Awesome.
yes but they won't be shown in a blue text as a adventurer is so you better either change their name and do something historic due to any normal person would never pop up in the legend.
wait if companions travel with you and if you have body swap on then one could control the other companions this way though I think you have to recruit the band again in a different body.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 01:28:28 pm by Rumrusher »
"body swapping and YOU!"

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 06:57:08 pm »

Hmmm......so theoretically, you can train & raise the entire town to "adventurer" class skills, stats & equips (Or if you go the extra mile several if not all towns).

Ought to give more interesting things in either Fortress or Adventure modes (Have your dorfs make a fort to a nearby town filled with battle hardened citizens, instant border patrols?).
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 12:02:38 pm »

Hmmm......so theoretically, you can train & raise the entire town to "adventurer" class skills, stats & equips (Or if you go the extra mile several if not all towns).

Ought to give more interesting things in either Fortress or Adventure modes (Have your dorfs make a fort to a nearby town filled with battle hardened citizens, instant border patrols?).
the only kicker is that the game will randomly select the first character then if you go back as the same character it will swap between the second(adventurer or new depending if the guy still there) character and the one you played before...
To get the chance to play as every body you might want to body swap then travel to a different town and repeat.
so yeah you can train raise and equip towns and turn them into a militia even a army then send squads of 12 on other town and civs.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 11:00:24 pm »

Just found this. Why did this thread not get more love?
A question: can people could train up the civ-leaders so they destroy you in fort mode?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 06:56:52 am »

Just found this. Why did this thread not get more love?
A question: can people could train up the civ-leaders so they destroy you in fort mode?
any one with can learn tag will earn stats and learn skills.
So yes you can train up Civ-Leaders.
Don't know why you want them to megabeast rampage you but hey I'm not masochistic.
You can also get the Civ leader to recruit a band of 'bodyguards' with runesmith if you slap on a high adventure trait on the meat shield.

The only thing I would ask you to save a lot over is setting up a In-game battle. If there is a war happening you can body swap a general recruit some army men and Travel over to the enemy base or town they should start to cause havoc on the folks there due to your not in the body of the general and the natural AI will attack those a enemy to the civ leading to a pretty good battle on a large scale out side of arena mode.

I think with loyalty crusade tactics one could do this with out having any race in war if you can get out of the town fast enough after getting someone in that town to become a enemy of the civ your returning to and recruit enough men on the second trip back.
The guys you brought back might not fight the town right away due to the provoker is a mile to the east away from the Meed hall. When they do oh boy It will be fun!
"body swapping and YOU!"

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 10:20:59 pm »

Don't know why you want them to megabeast rampage you but hey I'm not masochistic.
It's for the thrill of the hunt! we're bored of snapping the brittle necks of goblin kings! After thousands of goblin king kills, we now want one to go down kicking, biting, spitting and scratching!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 06:00:28 pm »

good news Daruis updated his Dfusion to do exactly this with out the hassle of setting up cages and traps.
"body swapping and YOU!"

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 06:48:43 pm »

I doubt there's any point in asking, but is this still possible in the vanilla game, or is the only way to do this now through utilities? OR, is there no way at all now?
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 07:58:42 pm »

I doubt there's any point in asking, but is this still possible in the vanilla game, or is the only way to do this now through utilities? OR, is there no way at all now?
how I did this first was through utilities on vanilla, but people have said sleeping in the ocean will allow you access to this.
"body swapping and YOU!"

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 12:21:12 pm »

I had it happen to me when I recruited a demon I randomly found living in a village.  Granted my adventurer was actually a militia commander from fort mode, up and about due to dfhack. It was sorta fun, but turning into random cavern critters can be a hassle and curb your fast traveling.  Esp. when you go from being, say, a giant tiger to a pond grabber.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 09:08:07 pm »

I had it happen to me when I recruited a demon I randomly found living in a village.  Granted my adventurer was actually a militia commander from fort mode, up and about due to dfhack. It was sorta fun, but turning into random cavern critters can be a hassle and curb your fast traveling.  Esp. when you go from being, say, a giant tiger to a pond grabber.
if the character isn't perma saved change in adventure mode using Dfusion any other means of changing will cause the Quantum Travel effect even sleeping will do this to you.
this is because adventures have a small bit of code that tracks where they are and auto direct control them.
this small code can be broken and send the control to a random character and due to each random character doesn't have that code the game will continue to play a random character until it finds the adventurer.
"body swapping and YOU!"