Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 46

Author Topic: Underground Diversity  (Read 132577 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underground Diversity
« Reply #240 on: October 03, 2008, 08:19:40 am »

I'd really like to see it as emergent behaviour (possibly pitchblende as a part of an aquifer layer or right under an aquifer layer generates heat and becomes radioactive for a few years.)

It's probably a bad idea, but still...  Urist cancels dig : teeth falling out.

Uranium ore doesn't produce heat. Pure Uranium does though, and it even kills people if its massed together, reactivity accidents, ect. Only thing pitchblende does is emit radon gas, which I'd rather not see implimented in DF.

If Urist could somehow smelt Pitcheblende into pure uraninum, that WOULD BE AWESOME, but its beyond the scope and setting of the game, I guess. I compromise by just selling pitcheblende crafts to the elves, because purple stuff looks horrible in my fortress.

...  Did you read the link?

LrZeph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 03, 2008, 10:15:02 am »

Holes.... Act as a wall or floor tile for anything larger than the diggers, or set size. Thus burrowing creatures can open up areas for larger creatures but dont turn the map into swiss cheese. (Note: everything on one side of the hole should be undiscovered until you tell a dwarf to look in it.)
And everyone knows, when the Dwarves come out of the walls, it's all over.

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 03, 2008, 11:45:23 am »

There should be a variable in world gen for choosing how dense you want these features to be, same as the cave number variable or minimum volcano number.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 03, 2008, 11:05:42 pm »

There should be a variable in world gen for choosing how dense you want these features to be, same as the cave number variable or minimum volcano number.

added.

Holes are already mentioned in the burrowing creatures entry.

also added a new category for metagame suggestions.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 11:17:50 pm by Othob Rithol »

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 04, 2008, 10:10:52 pm »

...I probably wouldn't go stealing directly from D&D / Warhammer,...
But you did, nevertheless.. Why should the underground civ be the corrupt one? Why should there only be two civs, polarized in their attitudes? Why not conflicts between groups that do not have fundamental differences?
eh, i just think of dark dwarves as the dwarves who are not on your side. they can pretty much be about identical otherwise. though they do have to dwell deep underground, because otherwise you'd encounter them too early.

Anyway, different dwarven civilizations should be more than able enough to contain each other. Also, expect a balance of power based on biomes. Human cavalry is going to have a hard time in the mountains or the forest, elven tactics are rubbish against a dwarf fortress, dwarves will have major trouble chasing humans on horseback, with ships or even on foot.
Dwarves would tend to still be able to deal with both of them, especially once dwarves have any kind of magic power to deal with the treants. human cav can't run foverever and marksdwarves can get in shootouts if they try to pull partian shots. they've got the advantage if dwarves split up, though. other than the elven magical allies and domestic animals, the dwarves have massive weapon superiority to the elves, plus if they really, really feel like it they've got the stuff to incinerate the forests. relese a few caged fire imps and the forest vanishes in flame
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 05, 2008, 10:48:27 am »

Dwarves would tend to still be able to deal with both of them, especially once dwarves have any kind of magic power to deal with the treants. human cav can't run foverever and marksdwarves can get in shootouts if they try to pull partian shots. they've got the advantage if dwarves split up, though. other than the elven magical allies and domestic animals, the dwarves have massive weapon superiority to the elves, plus if they really, really feel like it they've got the stuff to incinerate the forests. relese a few caged fire imps and the forest vanishes in flame
Of course they will.. but it will be hard when they're out of their element. There has to be some reason why different war-prone sentient species still exist in the same world..

Magic power, that's a big if. Cavalry just needs to cut off the supply lines to starve an advancing dwarven army of beer. Minor weather magic can deal with burning forests, and the same can cause landslides over fortress entrances, or flooding if they're built on flat land.

The problem with a race that has all the good stuff is that the game becomes predictable, and ultimately, boring. All the other races are just steam cannon fodder then. Why even bother to trade or conquer them if dwarves are just as good or superior in everything? Homeground advantage stops the game world from becoming one big empire in a few decades. Not that world-spanning empires should be impossible, but they should require commensurate effort and a policy intentionally focused on annexation. And after a few centuries at most it should fall because of internal weakness, because empires rise and fall like tides...
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 06, 2008, 08:08:05 am »

Please stay on topic or discuss elsewhere, pretty please? with plump helmets and !!kitten tallow!! on top?

edit: sleepy grammar
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 06:33:38 am by Othob Rithol »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 06, 2008, 08:40:39 am »

I guess I could add a bit more... I hope it gets added (though I wonder what happened to Fossils).

What does it take to be featured in the first post?

Skeletons and other Corpses
-In a few biomes such as Deserts and Swamps there is an ability for the body of others to sink within the earth. It should be more then possible to dig up a few bones/Flesh within these biomes or even be so lucky as to discover a battleground and thus dig up a large variety of equipment or even a long lost artifact burried within the sand supposively lost forever. Who says that all bones left uncovered have to be from the undead?

Chasms and Flying Creatures
-Creatures, namely (Semi)Megabeasts and Legends should be able to claim a Chasm as a home provided they have the ability to fly or stick to the walls. This could make a Chasm more dangerous then it currently is as you may find that in inclusion to the Iron men, Antmen, Batmen, and other denizens there is also a Dragon who demands you toss raw diamonds into the pit to appease him.

Chasms and Dumps
-Everything you put into a Chasm has to go somewhere. Perhaps that Orthoclaus you just tossed woken up a whole colony of Batmen. Perhaps a Megabeast or a dreaming demon. For better or worse the Chasm is no longer a void of nothingness and how you treat it can have an effect on your fortress or even the world. Uncapping an underground Chasm not only exposes the outside world to the Chasm, but it exposes the Chasm to the world who may not like this new sunny disposition.

The Dwarves of the Deep
-There could, and it would certainly be interesting to be the case. For there to be a completely subterranian civilization that never goes above ground. They have technology and extensive knowledge of the underground (unlike Antmen who currently tribal). You better hope they are not hostile if you run into them by mistake. They could be alergic to sunlight and overall die when "Grounded"

Spring:
-I think this is covered... but a pond/lake that is connected to an underground lava vent would be interesting. You could follow the Hotwater filled cavern to Lava. Though yeah this is kinda Surface to undergroundish.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 06, 2008, 01:02:57 pm »

For a somewhat silly contribution to this thread:

Dwarves vs. Trees!

It'd certainly make the Elves that much more menacing.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 08, 2008, 06:32:53 am »

Adding ancient battlegrounds, truly subterranean dwarf civilizations, and the return of raids from the chasm in response to dumping from 2D (along with its old solution).

Just to answer Neonivek, I add only 100% underground features (as in things placed in worldgen, below the top z level) that are mentioned once. Also included in this are direct changes to living things underground, like monsters, civs and plants. Things concerning game mechanics (changes to mining, game physics/rules. etc) only if they continue to be discussed and reach a refined enough state that they don't have any obvious conflicts. Lastly, I will add some meta-game improvements that are logical outcomes of the entries on the list.

edit:ended up merging battle sites intot he ruins entry

I will always reserve the right to not add to the list things that are clearly poorly thought out, downright silly, or potentially game breaking.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 07:11:08 am by Othob Rithol »

StrayCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Living gateway for the demonic Laggabeast
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 09, 2008, 09:11:17 am »

Urist McDwarfExpeditionLeader: If a dragon's been holed up in this here chasm, more power to him I say. But If'n he start's mandatin' any thing of me an' my lads here, I'll throw him a bloodstained an' charred purple shirt as a warnin', and if'n he don't get -that- I'll channel with my own hands and beard the nearest volcano into that chasm. And THEN I'll channel every river within five UristBeardLengths of this chasm so he sit an' have a spell of time to think about orderin' dwarf workers about while he's ENTOMBED.

I want. Hard.

And who said thing about dwarves having magic? I'd figure them more Siege engining, skull-stomping, hammer-wielding, axe-tossing manic lunatics then magic users. You don't need magic to freeze someone solid when you're a dwarf. You use SCIENCE. Perhaps mixed with a teeny bit of applied magic, like alchemy, bastard child of chemistry and wizards.
It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 09, 2008, 09:58:05 am »

Me like this list.  It makes me happy inside.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 09, 2008, 10:24:13 am »

And who said thing about dwarves having magic? I'd figure them more Siege engining, skull-stomping, hammer-wielding, axe-tossing manic lunatics then magic users. You don't need magic to freeze someone solid when you're a dwarf. You use SCIENCE. Perhaps mixed with a teeny bit of applied magic, like alchemy, bastard child of chemistry and wizards.

Dwarven magic is better known as short bearded guys kicking physics in the nuts.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

StrayCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Living gateway for the demonic Laggabeast
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 09, 2008, 06:02:30 pm »

Dwarven magic is better known as short bearded guys kicking physics in the nuts.

And now it feels a little more dwarven to me.

Nevertheless, what's going to come of this? Magic Missile? Maximized Fireball? Stop Time? Psion abilities? What's next? Mining with your mind?
It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

Wahnsinniger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 09, 2008, 08:41:09 pm »

Of course they will.. but it will be hard when they're out of their element. There has to be some reason why different war-prone sentient species still exist in the same world..

Magic power, that's a big if. Cavalry just needs to cut off the supply lines to starve an advancing dwarven army of beer. Minor weather magic can deal with burning forests, and the same can cause landslides over fortress entrances, or flooding if they're built on flat land.

The problem with a race that has all the good stuff is that the game becomes predictable, and ultimately, boring. All the other races are just steam cannon fodder then. Why even bother to trade or conquer them if dwarves are just as good or superior in everything? Homeground advantage stops the game world from becoming one big empire in a few decades. Not that world-spanning empires should be impossible, but they should require commensurate effort and a policy intentionally focused on annexation. And after a few centuries at most it should fall because of internal weakness, because empires rise and fall like tides...

VERY few games have even tried to model the continuous rise and fall of countries/nations/empires. Crusader Kings is closest one I've ever seen, and a Kingdom could very easily fall apart if the new King had a bunch of personality traits that ticked off his vassals.

If DF were to want to have some sort of Rise and Fall of entities, then the immediate success of any country should be dependent on its leader, thus if the next leader is great, they expand rapidly. If the one after that is terrible, the country contracts.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 46