Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Going into religion  (Read 967 times)

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Going into religion
« on: October 13, 2008, 10:44:43 pm »

I have decided to create a place of worship in my most recent fortress.  I want to honor my dwarves' deity of war and Fortresses, Aran the Nourishment of Banners  The only problem is that I have no idea how to build a Cathedral.

So, oh great designers, does anybody have a good cathedral design I can just dig out of the mountain?  Due to some flying, crazily evil invaders I have from time to time, I would rather not bust open the surface any more than I need to.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
Re: Going into religion
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 10:59:49 pm »

hmmm... access to glass?

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 11:08:01 pm »

I have a legendary glass maker and plenty of sand, but almost no wood or rock crystals, so I can only do green glass.  Also, I don't think I can import any flux stones or bauxite, and neither seems to be native to my mountain.  I do have a legendary Metalsmith, and a couple legendary engravers(who I would like to get involved in this).
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 11:26:08 pm »

I made an ornate throne room by building engraved pillars, multiple z levels up. It was several z levels tall, but not with multiple "levels", so it was similar to a cathedral in that the ceiling was high. Obviously all the walls on every level were engraved as well. The throne itself was seated infront of a gem-glass window that overlooked my city (it was high up above). The window itself was also tall up; imagine those large glass pictures of Jesus and the virgin Marry that some cathedrals have that are tall and high, that was basically what it was. I also put one of every mega beast, caged, in front of the throne, so that when diplomats or liaisons would come to talk to my dukes and whatnot, they would pass by great caged beasts on both sides, exemplifying how much power the fort had to subdue such a great creature. Hope that gives you some ideas.
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 11:29:22 pm »

So, no marble...

I'm thinking having a light well into the ground that ends on a glass mural of possibly your favorite weapon, under which a multi level gallery of statues in alcoves in the walls, with a statue garden designated at the bottom. I'd say put your hero's golden sarcophagi in alternating alcoves with golden statues, or use stone coffins with fortifacations in front of them so that passers by can see the engravings in the tombs.  On the floor, I'd say do a stone mural with constructed tiles of a fortress element such as a tower or gatehouse.

Tomb: with #wall, Coffin, Fortification
Code: [Select]
###
#CF
###
Repeated along every wall.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 11:51:11 pm »

So, no marble...

I'm thinking having a light well into the ground that ends on a glass mural of possibly your favorite weapon, under which a multi level gallery of statues in alcoves in the walls, with a statue garden designated at the bottom. I'd say put your hero's golden sarcophagi in alternating alcoves with golden statues, or use stone coffins with fortifacations in front of them so that passers by can see the engravings in the tombs.  On the floor, I'd say do a stone mural with constructed tiles of a fortress element such as a tower or gatehouse.

Tomb: with #wall, Coffin, Fortification
Code: [Select]
###
#CF
###
Repeated along every wall.

Thats a cool idea, it reminds me of the catacombs from Indiana Jones.
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 11:39:22 am »

Bah. Gods of War and Fortresses do not have cathedrals! They have fortresses! A minifort, walls and gate around an altar where goblins are sacrificed, carved in the heart of the earth itself!

Or something like that.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 11:45:34 am »

You've got me inspired to build some hammer&sickle statues in the front of my Dwarven fortresses entrance now...way to go. :P