Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Gigantic turtles  (Read 16490 times)

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gigantic turtles
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2009, 07:04:30 am »

Im all for this idea however, but i think theres more imporant things to do then this :)
There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

ogion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2009, 07:44:16 am »

Allright... Just a few q's:

1. How do I know I build my fortress on a male turtle, since mating was mentioned...?
2. How do I make my fortress waterproof, as it's built on a (hopefully male) turtle?
3. if it dies, does the entire map get covered in miasma for an extended period of time?

Just wondering....
Sy wut?! Me ranger is fishing in the well??? He better not catch anything...

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2009, 07:51:45 am »

1. The occurrence of such a turtle should be sufficiently rare that the possibility of two of them meeting each other is negligible. And then it's far from certain that it's their mating century.
2. Normal measures should suffice, until ut dives too deep. That is the end of your story.
3. Yes, although nothing stops you from trying to smoke it by causing a forest fire, pickle it by dumping it in a salt lake, put it under a glacier or send an army of cooks to it.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2009, 09:04:50 am »

I just want to be able to 'mine' chunks of turtle to turn it into an endless food supply. I'd let the old chunks grow back as I harvest new ones!

cruel, but not unusual!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

DoubleJ

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2009, 11:13:05 pm »

I can't wait to build a full size, self-sufficient mobile war-fortress, complete with ballista batteries and sniperdwarf towers, on the back of a wagon-sized turtle.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2009, 11:42:38 pm »

Even better than a giant dwarf: A giant dwarf made of normal dwarves.

We should be able to do this with the next version.

We really shouldn't, but we should.

And then, when you arrive at your destination, the dwarves split up and destroy anything in thier path. Kinda like locusts, but bearded and drunk.

1. The occurrence of such a turtle should be sufficiently rare that the possibility of two of them meeting each other is negligible. And then it's far from certain that it's their mating century.
2. Normal measures should suffice, until ut dives too deep. That is the end of your story.
3. Yes, although nothing stops you from trying to smoke it by causing a forest fire, pickle it by dumping it in a salt lake, put it under a glacier or send an army of cooks to it.

When i read the glacier bit, i instantly got a mental image of a turtle, locked in ice, which you can slowly excavate, then try to warm it up, causing it to reawaken.

Also, why has noone mentioned having the turtles be intelligent? Maybe you can have a mutual agreement with the turtle; you protect it from smaller "vermin" (gobbos, kobolds, dragons), and it lets you live on its back.

Im also envisioning some sort of God of War 2 style colossus, but made of stone and wandering around the landscape, with small huts built into cracks in its skin and ladders linking them. (Alternatley, picture Shadow of the Colossus sized creatures). And then, it gets in a fight with another stone colossus.....

Damn, so many Prachett references....I approve!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 11:45:57 pm by Eagle »

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2009, 10:57:12 am »

Then I'd need to add 'turtle' to my site finder requirements.
Giggle.

Hey, what about digging too deep in the turtle?

There would be a heart, with aeortas, which act like floodgates, letting blood to various parts of the body.

It would be awesome if digging to deep caused pressurized bood to spurt out and flood your fort...

Question: Is giant turtle blood hot enough to smelt stuff :D
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2009, 12:02:55 pm »

Turtles are cold-blooded, you, you... ignoramus!
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2009, 08:52:25 pm »

You'd think the temperature would scale with size via Dwarven Physics.  :P

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2009, 09:21:00 am »

i am going to repost some choice words along with my original comment on this from the UD diversity thread -

Penguin, that's not what I was thinking. You don't know you're mining into a turtle until you wake it up by mining into it's internal workings. Not sure if I like the rope ladders, though.
You have struck a layer of Giant Turtle Shell!

no comment

just.... no comment

as unbeleivably awesome it would be to have your fort suddenly get up and go wandering away, to plonk down in new homes with new stuff to mine and new things to kill, i just dont see it making it into the game...

however, it would be great. imagine controlling your turtle (on land = tortoise?) by choosing a new place on the world map to plonk your fort. with associated random encounters along the way. you could stick yourself right next to a goblin fort and pillage it. then go stick yourself next to a dwarven or human civ and sell the proceeds for stacks of steel ignots and gems, or whatever it is you want. the world would be your oyster...

now that would be great. seriously, any kind of moveable fort would be great. even if your civ is just a nomadic bunch of barbarians with horses and wagons who has to plunder to gain resorces.... anyhow, off topic. someone go start a threat about this already.

the giant turtle itea came from mining into fossilized or sleeping creatures buried underground. and perhaps making them angy and waking them up.

sir honeybadger rightfully said in the UD thread that as awesome as this would be, it would be difficult and very time consuming to implement, and this would take time that toady and threetoe could be using to add other stuff into DF. stuff that really needs to be there, like better interface.

but, this is still an incredibly awesome idea. and its awfully fun to talk about. seriously, roaming around on a mobile animal attacking random civs and looting them. like that little pirate building in whatever that monty python movie was. even the idea of multi tile creatures that arent wagons is fun.

apart from civilization raiding, you could go spend summer on an island somewhere, farming up some food and booze supplies. then migrate to some hostile mountains to mine up minerals and metals to wage war while your turtle sleeps away the winter. then you could smash up a few cities you dont like, do some trading, and go back to your summer home to clear the unicorns and pixies out of your fields and replenish your supplies again.

imagine your turtle city fighting other turtle cities. hostile bording, or being borded back. and having to defend your mobile home from hungry megabeasts of truly titanic size, using catapaults and ballistas. would give you a reason to actually tip your ballista bolts with steel or adamantium. although i really think that sort of thing is a little beyond the DF engine to display.

and your giant turtles blood would totally have to be magma. who cares about cold bloodedness, its a freaking turtle the size of my local shopping centre that roams the world with 200 angry little hairy men living on its back.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 09:24:22 am by Cheshire Cat »

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2009, 07:06:05 pm »

Maybe you could filter the blood for nutrients? Maybe you could pump its stomach acid out as a weapon, lol.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2009, 08:29:01 pm »

I'm thinking the biggest problem is the metal industry. It's going to be difficult, if not far and few between, to store magma on the turtle. Drinking water would also be difficult, but not as hard to come by.

And how would the turtle traverse Z-levels? I doubt it could just smash through a mountain.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2009, 08:51:46 pm »

And how would the turtle traverse Z-levels? I doubt it could just smash through a mountain.
-.-
o.o
O.O
0_0
:D

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2009, 09:08:14 pm »

That would have to be taken in account during worldgen: turtle erosion.

It could have craters on its shell, for various reasons (odd growth, ancient meteors, etc.), those could hold magma, water, or maybe rare metals/minerals/gems. Otherwise, you'd have to trade for charcoal, cut down the forests that grow on the turtles back, or plant your own trees.

Anyways, this is still an awesome idea.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2009, 09:09:57 pm »

Maybe it would go around the mountain, and getting water or iron shouldnt be hard if you distill the blood.
Urist Mcmetalcrafter: Captain, make sure shellie gets some more iron in her diet, I think we're running out.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8