Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 781289 times)

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are we still complaining about pyros?

Man, that was SO last week, we should really complain about something new. Scouts, man. fuckem.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

That crit rate on the ubersaw man. It seems to change depending on the player.

Kills by ubersaw: 50% normally 50% crits.
 Deaths by ubersaw: 100% crits.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

returntonull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Haha. Man I remember being so pissed that it filled your uber and -still- crit when the medic update hit. IMBA!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

Yesterday as a heavy I melee killed a pyro. This should not occur.

I've killed just about every class as every other class with melee.  If you get a crit, or they just don't turn around, you embarrass them which is as it should be.

The Pyro has his speed working for him.  It's kinda like if you pummeled a scout to death...
After he ambushed me. No crits.

I was genuinely under the impression for some time that the engineer's Wrench automatically got crits against disguised spies.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist

I was genuinely under the impression for some time that the engineer's Wrench automatically got crits against disguised spies.

The wrench does give more crits than any other melee weapon though...
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, it's just that damage your sentry does increases your crit rate. The same is true for a Medic's patient damage counting for raising the Medic's crit rate.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

Weird, I had no idea.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, it's just that damage your sentry does increases your crit rate. The same is true for a Medic's patient damage counting for raising the Medic's crit rate.

Could you elaborate on this mechanic, please?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

It's not just medics and engies, all classes crit rate increases the more damage they inflict.  When playing soldier and doing really good for a period of time I sometimes found myself firing 2 or 3 crockets in a row. And then people complain about crits and ask for them to be turned off.

...and then because people can't deal with a little bit of random element, half the time the crits get turned off and Team Fortress just gets a little more uninteresting and boring.

I think the crit rate maxes out at 10% for everyone but I might remember the figures wrong.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile

Could you elaborate on this mechanic, please?
Crit chance is increased based on damage done, it's part of the positive reinforcement mechanic TF2 focuses on. Do well and you'll do better, crit chance is directly related to damage done over the past few seconds, the TF2 blog has done at least one in-depth post on this. One of the core ideas behind TF2 mechanics is that stalemates are bad thus they utilise a lot of positive reinforcement ideas, do well and you will do better, this means a team which is only slightly better than the other will receive additional help to overcome a dug in enemy. If you're on a killing spree your crit chance increases, this helps your team and also helps create those awesome moments when you are on fire and no-one can touch you. Of course the simple fact crits are random crits helps weaker players too, it's no fun to die all the time and random crits help give you an edge over more experienced players occasionally. A lot of thought went into TF2, it was in development for a lot of time so you wont find any area that hasn't had a large opart of the team debating and focusing on for a large amount of time.

I agree with Greiger, crits have had a lot of thought put into them, the only time TF2 shouldn't have them is during professional tournaments when random chance cant be a deciding factor. Unfortunately people remember the times they die to crits not the times a crit helped them take out half the enemy team or gain a revenge kill on that enemy that has dominated them the past 2 games.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 04:55:41 pm by Jreengus »
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile

When you do damage, your critrate increases, your sentry is considered as "You" as far as damage goes, as is a patient of yours if you are a medic.

The sentry does heavy damage to classes, which increases your critrate by a huge margin.

Here, look at this:

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Melee weapons have a much higher chance of critting. I think it's an extra 10 or 15%, I'm not sure.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah, thank you everyone!

You're all so helpful, I love this forum.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

And the forum loves you back.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile

Ah, thank you everyone!

You're all so helpful, I love this forum.

I stabbed you in the back last game, when you were eating in doublecross.

Remember?
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 774