Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 781481 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

I was thinking of a really annoying beep.  Like the old beeps taken to the extreme.  As in can't hear anything else.

While taking a bio break I thought up an ocarina taunt too.  Taunting causes the demoman to stand still and play an ocarina. Pressing directional buttons plays a note.  Correct notes in correct sequence activate tauntkills ranging from a suicidal tornado summoning tauntkill to a horse dropping out of the sky in front of the demoman and sprinting off in a random direction trampling everyone in the way.

Of course I am just throwing this idea out there.  A skin thing would be awesome by itself, all this other stuff would just be epic. (hell it probably isn't even possible)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile

An item for the "other" slot: a fairy. It says "HEY!" when someone is about to sneak up on you, but is it really worth the madness?! The yelling of "LISTEN!" never stops!
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile

Also, I wish I could make Steam not pop up with stupid event announcements or even "your friend is now playing X" most of the time.  I've got, like, four people who I care if they're playing.  Everyone else, I'd be happy to MANUALLY open my friends list and see "Oh hey, five of my buddies are on that server, I think I'll join it".  As it is, I choose not to have friends, instead.
Wha? But you can! At least the friends part. It's pretty silly not to have any friends when you can just go into Settings in Steam, click the Friends tab, look at the Notifications & Sounds part of it, look at the When any Friend joins a game, and uncheck the box next to "Display a notification."

Ah, but I've got a few local friends who I DO want to get notifications from.  I don't see any option to change the settings on a per-friend basis.

...Wait.  They must have added that in the UI update.  Okay, cool.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Volatar, you might've run into the Announcement Duplication glitch, where you get... well, the name says it all, really. You get the same announcement multiple times.
I think at least part of what happened is that Steam makes an announcement when you schedule an event. So if you make an event that starts in 5 minutes, it first announces the scheduling to everyone in the group, then the event 5 minutes later.

Annoying.

Anyway, I wonder when the engi update starts. There's no record yet what "Coming soon" means in Valve Time. "Shortly" was confirmed to mean 6 months though.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 02:38:21 am by LASD »

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

While taking a bio break I thought up an ocarina taunt too.  Taunting causes the demoman to stand still and play an ocarina. Pressing directional buttons plays a note.  Correct notes in correct sequence activate tauntkills ranging from a suicidal tornado summoning tauntkill to a horse dropping out of the sky in front of the demoman and sprinting off in a random direction trampling everyone in the way.
Mortal Combat vs TF2 vs Zelda? OCARINALITY!

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile

I just picked this game up (yeah, a little late) from Steam. Anything I should know? Guess I should practice some maps with bots or something to get an idea of what I'm doing. And figure out where all the stuff is. I'll be steamrolled enough the way it is for being a new player in a game this old.

Having crazy performance problems with 26 or 28 bots shooting at each other, which is concerning. My machine is no beast, but I expected to easily run this on mid-low settings. It defaulted to all "High" as recommended for my machine, but putting everything on ultra-low makes no difference. Any-who, once I figure that out, I'll give this a shot with Real PeopleTM.

Oh, and I do like bigger fights. The more people, the more fun for me. What's the average number of players in each match?

I kind of want to go engineer, too. That a bad choice?

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile

Your computer is probably lagging because of all the bots, not TF2 itself. I've never used them, but I wouldn't be surprised if their AI was pretty CPU intensive.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Your computer is probably lagging because of all the bots, not TF2 itself. I've never used them, but I wouldn't be surprised if their AI was pretty CPU intensive.
This.

Best way to get into the game is to play a spy. Remember to stab people in the face, the knife's too short to hit anything vital if it doesn't go through their eyes. soldier. Just spam rockets randomly and you'll do fine.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist

The best way to get in the game is to just hop on a friendly server where you have some friends and play the game. Join the DFC group.

Try to get the achievement where you have to play a complete round as each class.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh goddamn, I just made a long "welcome to TF2" post and I was making final touches, when Firefox crashed. Arbbhhgrhg. Now there's no time anymore. I'll write it again later.

EDIT: Here we go: ARGH now I timed out! Third time's the charm I guess.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 10:25:03 am by LASD »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

The best way to get in the game is to just hop on a friendly server where you have some friends and play the game. Join the DFC group.
And to this extent I would advise not playing on the DFC server. As cool as we are I think some people there are too skilled to let a new guy get introduced without tearing out his hair.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile

Also watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxodkFM8N1U&feature=fvst

It will help you learn the basics of playing Engineer. Once you know all this you are basically pro at the class. Medic is also easy for beginners to be useful.

The other videos from this series(pyro, scout, spy) are slightly outdated because of all the class updates and new weapons. Engy is still go old Engy though.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 10:20:08 am by Toady Two »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile

Medic is one of the best classes to learn with IMO.  It's actually a lot of fun too.  Just stick by the big guys and heal them, and hey, you'll figure out where they go and how they kill people and how not to get killed (plus you'll be around a corner a lot of the time so YOU won't get killed as often).

After you have a sense of what you're actually supposed to DO in the maps, have some fun with soldier and heavy as they're easy enough to get used to, just point and click.  Engineer is easier to learn in some maps than others, because there's often certain places for guns that really suck.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

In the first week of playing TF2 you will become extremely paranoid of leaving your back to anything but a wall and walking into large open spaces. This is normal and goes away in a week or two. Worry not about it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

At long last, the forum or me isn't timing out and I can finally post this (it got a lot shorter every time I had to write it again, hopefully more concise too):

I just picked this game up (yeah, a little late) from Steam. Anything I should know? Guess I should practice some maps with bots or something to get an idea of what I'm doing. And figure out where all the stuff is. I'll be steamrolled enough the way it is for being a new player in a game this old.

Having crazy performance problems with 26 or 28 bots shooting at each other, which is concerning. My machine is no beast, but I expected to easily run this on mid-low settings. It defaulted to all "High" as recommended for my machine, but putting everything on ultra-low makes no difference. Any-who, once I figure that out, I'll give this a shot with Real PeopleTM.

Oh, and I do like bigger fights. The more people, the more fun for me. What's the average number of players in each match?

I kind of want to go engineer, too. That a bad choice?

Yeah, don't worry about the bot performance, a serverful of simulated eyesight, virtual mousepads and complex AI brings any computer to it's proverbial knees.

Learning the maps is really important at start. Pay close attention to sideroutes and the placement of ammo and health packs. With the thirtysomething official maps we have now, learning all of them seems like a pretty daunting task, but after figuring out the most played ones (2fort, dustbowl, badwater, gravelpit, goldrush and granary) it becomes easier. You might want to try a server that has one of those going 24/7 as playing the game is more fun when you know where everything is.

The average player count is 24 and I think that's the amount the game is balanced for. The 32 player servers seem a bit crowded on some maps, but that can be fun too.

The engineer isn't the first class you want to play on a new map as it relies so much on knowing where your buildings are effective. I suggest playing a couple rounds on other classes to figure out where the ammo and frontlines are. Also, watching other engis and seeing where they place their stuff helps of course. The engi update will be interesting for you as it will give you definite goals in the form of achievements and make alternative playstyles easier through the new unlocks.

Welcome to the world of TF2! Hope you have loads of fun. I kind of wish I could start fresh and learn everything about the game again, but amazingly enough, after 1½ years of playing, there's still a lot of new things coming to achieve and adapt to.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 01:08:29 pm by LASD »
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 774