Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 777733 times)

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This time, I'm the first to post about a new blog post!

EDIT: Still no news about the Engi Update, cool new stuff coming as always though. It'd be cool to know how to model.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 02:43:21 pm by LASD »

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist

You go to TF2.com? I go to Teamfortress.com :)

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=3861&p=1
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile

Quote from: Polycount Contest Page
To maintain the Team Fortress 2 style and budget, here are some specs to guide you. The polygon budgets are not hard limits and use your best judgement for your items, based on these loose numbers.

Weapons
    * 8,000 triangles
    * 512 x 512 texture

Engineer buildings
    * Dispenser:
          o 10,000 triangles
          o 512 x 512 texture
    * Teleporter:
          o 3000 triangles
          o 512 x 512 texture
    * Sentry Turrets
          o 10,000 triangles
          o 512 x 512 texture

Hats
    * 800 triangles
    * 256 x 256 textures

Useful for anybody wanting to make their own stuff to Contribute, not just for this contest.

I think I may actually attempt to take part in this. Probably just gonna make hats if I do anything, though.

I do find it interesting (some might say, a hint of a Valve schedule) that they included the poly counts for the Engy buildings, as I wouldn't expect Valve to release any Community Engy stuff (aside from hats of course) before they released their own Engy Update. Considering the contest deadline is June 28, my current expected release for the Engy update is by the end of June. Hopefully sooner than that, though. Or Valve is trying to use this and the Contribute page in general to come up with models/ideas for the Engy update. Which means we can expect the Engy update sometime in August.

Actually. Talking to Org about his quest for the Eyelander, I have realized that the Grenade Launcher was not replaced in the War! update or subsequent community updates. I think I may try to make something to replace that, which means I would have to come up with some kind of 'Nade replacement model, as well as limit myself to the Demo for my hats (3 things for one class). I'll have to think about that.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile

Don't replace the Nade launcher, it;s the only thing typing him to being a "Demoman" now.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile

Replace the nades instead. How about a launcher that can fire either incendiary or stun grenades? Though incendiary grenades would be rendered pretty redundant by the flare gun...
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

Flashbang grenades? The flash has a 10% effect on your team and a 75% effect on yourself. Covers screen with an 80% opacity white flash. Doesn't completely blind your opponents, but it does make it harder to see.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Zai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Don't replace the Nade launcher, it;s the only thing typing him to being a "Demoman" now.
Jakk, I don't think you get it. These models are for something akin to a Community update. Not a fully fledged new weapon like the Demo got in the War! update. One thing the Contest page said was that it should maintain the functionality of what it's replacing. So if Valve were to put whatever my attempt to make something to replace the 'Nade Launcher is into the game, it'd be far closer to the differences between the Flamethrower and Backburner than those between the Sticky Launcher and the Chargin' Targe. In other words, it would still be a Grenade Launcher in essence.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile

Awesome Equalizer re-skin.
Someone needs to make that model possess a smaller copy of itself.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Zai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh man, so I know this probably isn't as good as anyone else on here but I finally had a moment of pure TF2 Godliness.

First, decapped 4 people as demoknight to get max hp/speed, then traded in my targe for Scottish Resistance and camped the main hall of TwoFort. 53 kills, 10k+ damage and over an hour and ten minutes alive. Shit was CRAZY. No one could kill me so I eventually just went out and fought till I died.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

On the FFN server I managed to kill a full 6 people with the sniper shiv.

It was on the 5 point cp map with the glass enclosed final capoint, 2nc cappoint on a spire and middle cappoint on a bridge.  Unfortunately the mapname escapes me at the moment.

At any rate the enemy team had the middle point and were trying to push to my team's spire cappoint. I was chasing a spy, and went around to the side with the secondary spawn gate.  Once I finally caught the spy I killed him with the shiv and found myself behind the enemy's lines.  I was in the wooden building next to the downward slope in front of the spire.  I figured I was too close to snipe effectively, and they were moving around too much fighting my team in front of them anyway.

So I channeled Leroy Jenkins and jumped out shiv swinging.  The closest opponent to me died in 2 swings, a demoman, never saw me coming.  Next I went to the two other snipers, since I was in front of them they were the most likely to see me.  Fortunately they were both scoped in.  Their razorbacks may protect them from backstabs, but it didn't do a thing against my shiv.  The second one didn't even notice when the first died to a crit, and the second died in two swings before he even lowered his scope.  Nobody else was coming  so I ran forward and killed the medic and his heavy in the same fashion.  Afterward, my team counterpushed and took the middle point almost uncontested.

People really need to pay more attention when they start hearing folks dying around them.  I don't think I woulda' been able to do that on the DFC server.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Zai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Their razorbacks may protect them from backstabs, but it didn't do a thing against my shiv.
Actually, that's a good point (like most points when referring to the Razorback). A possible buff for it (because right now it only counters one thing) would be for it to lower damage from all melee weapons until being stabbed in the back, at which point it does its normal thing.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

I don't think "melee resistant" is really a trait valve has in mind for the sniper. Besides- we already have demo knights, bonk, equalizer and the Pyro's requisite melee weapons.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 774