Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 781400 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile

I only care about my dispensers. Sentries are expendable as long as there's a dispenser nearby.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I see no one here has mentioned the golden wrench yet.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel

I want one. I want to litter the maps with the golden bodies of my enemies.
Anyone see how it's an item that can drop?

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile

Yesterday I was launching Scottish Resistance stickies over a ramp through a door into a room with the last capture point in one of the egypt maps. After I got all 14 mines out I walked the crosshairs over the areas where the mines had to be from left to right. I blew up so many people in the rippling wave of explosions that I started lagging very bad until it was finished. I had blown up ten people on the other team and two engineer nests without being able to see them. Even the other team had to admit it was pretty funny.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...huh.

Upon close inspection, I've concluded that the golden wrench is one of two things:

1) It's Valve preemptively adding some components of a potentially-interesting feature, or

2) It's Valve intentionally screwing with the conspiracy theorists on the SPUF.

Personally, I'm leaning towards option 2). Anyone else?

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Forward engies are the best engies.
Not sure whether this is directed at my take on engies or not, but I just wanted to say that's not what I was getting at.

I was more talking about the difference between being a useful engineer, which works without ubar fps skills, and any of the more combat oriented classes.

Even as a forward engineer you don't need the bestest reaction, because you don't need to win any duels, if you play it "smart". You just need to assess the situation and know where to build your shit. And that's awesome to get in and out of TF2 after long periods of not playing/playing.

Well, of course it helps if you know how to shoot people, but it's not the most important skill.

I love me engie.

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)

I got no hats for the first half-year after the hat update. Then I got two hats on two consecutive days: the kabuto for the soldier and the tyrolean for the medic. Since then I've managed to craft two hats. Both were the stainless pot. I crafted those. They made a crappy medic hat.

Amidoinitright?

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I got no hats for the first half-year after the hat update. Then I got two hats on two consecutive days: the kabuto for the soldier and the tyrolean for the medic. Since then I've managed to craft two hats. Both were the stainless pot. I crafted those. They made a crappy medic hat.

Amidoinitright?

I spent the entire time from the crafting update, until ~1 month ago, saving up items for a hat.

I got the hatless Sniper.

AmIdoinitright?

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

The engi shotgun is also very underrated. With my new style "ninjaneer" I kill more people with the shotgun than with my sentries.

The sentry is nice for softening, then finish em with the shotgun. And become MVP in a full 32 player server.  :D
I like my engi better now, even without updates.

Also, I've been trying the spy a bit, as its my least-played class. It's a lot more tactical, and pretty exciting to play. Adrenaline I never knew I had started pumping. I might play it more in the future, and even try out the other stealthwatches.

Next up to try is a frontline battlesniper (bow, jar, shiv).

I love how TF2 keeps being fun after... how many years now? I've got the "grizzled veteran" thingy, but can't remember how long ago that was.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Evilgrim rarely ever swears.
Yo'.

I saw Engineering Update.
I DEMAND LINKS.
Wheeee.
Here you go.
Here's another, more relevant one.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 04:25:29 am by LASD »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile

I'm guessing it'll be kind of like the Halloween special.  You know, where they had special rules for the Gibus, and the masks, and stuff?  Kind of like a new game mode, except not quite.

There's strings in the wrench that look kind of like support for them "breaking".  And (before they got taken down), TF2Items (which has some exclusive API access) was reporting that you could combine any class token + a golden wrench = an engineer token.  So I'm guessing that a LOT of players will get a wrench, but if you use it for very long, it will break.  Alternately, you can use that wrench to near-instantly get a shiny new engineer item!  No need to jump through hoops to get a token.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Evilgrim rarely ever swears.
Yo'.

I saw Engineering Update.
I DEMAND LINKS.
Wheeee.
Here you go.
Here's another, more relevant one.

90...98% sure that Manno link is fake. For one thing, Valve wouldn't put stuff up on a random address, nor would they advertise a server hosting company on it. Secondly, all the internal links are IP addresses, not professionally done at all. Thirdly, Valve would never be so forthcoming with information until release day. Forthly, the fonts are off. I'm pretty sure official TF2 documents are written with a different font. Thirdly, there's two three references to the Guard Dog. If this really is by Valve (or anyone else for that matter), they might just be pulling our chains and the dog is a clue. Fourthly, Valve doesn't use flashy flash interfaces for stuff that they can just put in a table, they're busy men up there. Lemme do a WHOIS and I'll get back to you on 5.

EDIT:

OrgName:    Nobis Technology Group, LLC
OrgID:      NTGL
Address:    201 West Olive Street
Address:    Suite 2B
City:       Bloomington
StateProv:  IL
PostalCode: 61701

ReferralServer: rwhois://rwhois.nobistech.net:4321

NetRange:   174.34.128.0 - 174.34.191.255
CIDR:       174.34.128.0/18
OriginAS:   AS15003
NetName:    NETBLK-NOBIS-TECHNOLOGY-GROUP-05
NetHandle:  NET-174-34-128-0-1
Parent:     NET-174-0-0-0-0
NetType:    Direct Allocation
NameServer: NS1.NOBISTECH.NET
NameServer: NS2.NOBISTECH.NET
Comment:    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Comment:    Nobis Technology Group, LLC
Comment:    http://www.nobistech.net
Comment:    For inquiries and complaints
Comment:    about any Nobis IP address
Comment:    space please contact our NOC
Comment:    via e-mail at admin@nobistech.net
Comment:    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
RegDate:    2008-10-28
Updated:    2008-10-28

As opposed to:

Domain Name: TEAMFORTRESS.COM
   Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
   Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
   Referral URL: http://www.networksolutions.com
   Name Server: NS1.VALVESOFTWARE.COM
   Name Server: NS2.VALVESOFTWARE.COM
   Name Server: NS3.VALVESOFTWARE.COM
   Updated Date: 14-jul-2008
   Creation Date: 11-sep-2004
   Expiration Date: 11-sep-2010

EDIT:

And the prose, and the GMOD poses...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 10:34:57 am by Schilcote »
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

Pretty sure nobody actually thought that was official...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yep, it's not real, but it still looks really cool and has interesting ideas. But it's so well made it could be the real thing, though the contraptions are a bit too outrageous, even for Valve.

Robin Walker commented on it in an interview too:
Kritzkast: There have been several fake engineer updates by the community, ranging from guard dogs to chicken guns and ammo magnets. Many of these have been very detailed and well thought out. How much notice do you take of the fakes and what’s the chance of one of these ideas seeing its way into the final build?

Robin Walker: We love these. On the game team, we love seeing interesting ideas with more thought put into them than just text. Our web team loves seeing the way these pages have used the style of our TF2 update pages to do neat stuff, often challenging us to do better ourselves (see http://www.engineer.fragfestservers.com/). Ultimately, good ideas make their way into the product by passing an analysis of what problems they solve, what benefits and disadvantages they have, the amount it costs to build and ship, and so on.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 11:00:30 am by LASD »

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's strings in the wrench that look kind of like support for them "breaking".  And (before they got taken down), TF2Items (which has some exclusive API access) was reporting that you could combine any class token + a golden wrench = an engineer token.  So I'm guessing that a LOT of players will get a wrench, but if you use it for very long, it will break.  Alternately, you can use that wrench to near-instantly get a shiny new engineer item!  No need to jump through hoops to get a token.

Sorry to burst your bubble here, but that works for any item. Combine a Kritzkrieg with any class token, and you get a Medic token. The TF2Items page just confirms that the Golden Wrench is, in fact, an Engineer item, nothing more. :(
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 774