Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 782003 times)

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Mann-Conomy Update! "Here. Have an eagle."
« Reply #4965 on: October 23, 2010, 01:05:05 pm »

Honestly, I don't know if a crate is even worth $2.50. After all, trading is a large-scale barter-based economy. A small handful of people (who have money to burn on keys) have some demand for the items (assuming they can afford more keys than they can find crates). The rest of the population has no interest in buying keys, meaning there's plenty of supply. I've seen crates fall from ridiculously high demands of refined metal right after release, to little more than scrap metal in some recent trades. There's just too many crates, and not enough people willing to gamble huge sums of money opening a lot of them.

I'd guess that crates will probably stick at around a scrap metal in value, unless Valve makes the keys start dropping, or lowers the price, or lets you craft them into scrap, or something. When every server you join has someone offering crates and there's rarely anyone buying them, the value of those crates is doomed to plummet.

MagmaDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4966 on: October 23, 2010, 02:08:41 pm »

Honestly, I don't know if a crate is even worth $2.50. After all, trading is a large-scale barter-based economy. A small handful of people (who have money to burn on keys) have some demand for the items (assuming they can afford more keys than they can find crates). The rest of the population has no interest in buying keys, meaning there's plenty of supply. I've seen crates fall from ridiculously high demands of refined metal right after release, to little more than scrap metal in some recent trades. There's just too many crates, and not enough people willing to gamble huge sums of money opening a lot of them.

I'd guess that crates will probably stick at around a scrap metal in value, unless Valve makes the keys start dropping, or lowers the price, or lets you craft them into scrap, or something. When every server you join has someone offering crates and there's rarely anyone buying them, the value of those crates is doomed to plummet.
I have seen people give 2 crates and get a hat.
Some people are stupid.
Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4967 on: October 23, 2010, 02:09:44 pm »

I think most of the problem of the crate is that the odds for getting a good item are low. I've spoke to quite a few people in the server I go to and some have bought like 10 keys and only one of four crates actually dropped hats in average.

I think that's the major issue there. Nobody wants to put 2.50 on a vitasaw. Worse yet, it pretty much wastes one of your drop, altho, I've seen crates dropping -with- other items now, so they might have fixed that.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4968 on: October 23, 2010, 02:41:39 pm »

IIRC, Valve stated that crates are on a different drop system from normal items - you aren't missing a 'normal' drop because you got a crate, and you can get a crate followed shortly thereafter by a normal item.

And yeah, according to the Wiki there's roughly a 44% chance to get a weapon. A weapon that is probably worth much less than $2.50, and almost certainly isn't one you want/need.  >:(

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4969 on: October 23, 2010, 03:33:11 pm »

After obtaining a Baseball Bill's Sports Shine via the drop system, I now have 2 out of the 3 Hatless [class] "hats." I only need Texas Slim's Dome Shine now (Hatless Engy) for a complete set now.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4970 on: October 23, 2010, 03:33:55 pm »

I had two before, and I crafted them together out of disgust. I got some boring sniper hat out of it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4971 on: October 23, 2010, 04:02:32 pm »

Oh gods, those things are worth several refined metal (or at least other hats)! D:
[Expression of horror at the hat-destruction]

Assuming anyone would trade for them, that is.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4972 on: October 23, 2010, 04:51:20 pm »

They are hatless hats. They deserve to be destroyed.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4973 on: October 23, 2010, 05:57:50 pm »

They are hatless hats. They deserve to be destroyed.
False.

They deserve to be traded.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4974 on: October 23, 2010, 05:58:55 pm »

Please, I have respect for the human race. I don't wish to unleash that sort of suffering onto other people.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4975 on: October 23, 2010, 06:03:21 pm »

Please, I have respect for the human race. I don't wish to unleash that sort of suffering onto other people.
You could have at least traded one of your hatless Engies to a person who wanted it.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4976 on: October 23, 2010, 06:04:36 pm »

You could have at least traded one of your hatless Engies to a person who wanted it.
Buwa?

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4977 on: October 23, 2010, 06:09:39 pm »

I'd take it.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4978 on: October 23, 2010, 06:09:57 pm »

I got a vintage pyro fire fighter hat from a direct hit so I'm not complaining.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4979 on: October 23, 2010, 06:12:54 pm »

I'd take it.
As I've said before, I also want one. Just so I can complete my Hatless collection (I prefer the Safe'n'Sound).

[EDIT:] It would appear that I am collecting Equalizers. On accident. I now have 6, only 2 of which are Vintage.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 06:34:09 pm by Zai »
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 774