Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 556 557 [558] 559 560 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 781803 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

Certainly from the perspective of dealing damage directly, yes. But if you consider one's usefulness to the team, the increased mobility combined with increased resistance to knockback (a major problem for ubered sentryhunters), and the fact that in most situations, you're going to either use rockets or that stupid pickaxe, then it's actually pretty good.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

But if you consider one's usefulness to the team
Are you even reading this?

It is incredibly difficult to land one of these things and the damage usually isn't even that high. It just isn't reliable enough for me to jump into a crowd of enemies.

I'd consider it a sidegrade. It's very dangerous but it provides some passive bonuses to self-damage to help deal with the fact that it won't deal damage as well as the shotgun.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

You don't need to deal damage to be credit to team. A soldier that can bounce around, get into a good place, and rain rockets on a sentry nest from afar is more useful than one that kills dozens of ground level enemies without moving forward.

I'll agree it's a sidegrade... but that's just the point. We don't want the unlockables to be upgrades. They are changes to gameplay, not a simple pay-to-win mechanism.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

My anger was primarily directed towards people saying it's somehow overpowered. I see it as a pretty good sidegrade to the shotgun. I don't see justifications for how anything about combining both boots is overpowered.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Gunboats are already a perfectly good sidegrade. Combining them with the Mantreads will either result in something just as gimmicky as the Mantreads already are (if the stomp effect stays the way it is), which is to say, totally impractical, or it'll be ridiculously synergistic (if the stomp effect is buffed to the point of actually being useful).

Better to leave the Gunboats alone and buff the 'Treads.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile

The reason I say its overpowered is the combination on all the damage reductions make it very easy to rocket jump all over the place without taking much damage and the knockback reduction is a noticeable difference to a good player.  To a normal tf2 player they are a sidegrade, to someone who is good they are a way to fly over the map bombing enemy meds and other soft targets while staying at almost full health.  If you havent seen how the gunboats can be alot more powerful than the shotgun in the right hands then you probably wont understand what im talking about.

I play alot of comp team games and its a real eye opener on what weapons can be super powerful in the right hands.  For most people the loch and load and the direct hit are sidegrades, for pros, they are flat upgrades.  If a solli isnt going to be working tight with a med, then the gunboats are usually the better option than the shottie.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Mongol13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The mongols are and were cool.
    • View Profile

I know how to balance it, no random crits.
If Nyquil isn't meant to be abused, then why does it come with a shot glass?

My old account on this forum is klingon13524.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile

I know how to balance it, no random crits.
/valvelogic
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile

I think that I've asked this before, but...what are your favorite public servers, assuming you ever go on public servers? I'm rather fond of the Ponyville servers and the 24/7[INSERT MAP HERE] servers.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ace Fortress 2. But please don't go there, as I have a hard enough time getting in as it is.  :D
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think that I've asked this before, but...what are your favorite public servers, assuming you ever go on public servers? I'm rather fond of the Ponyville servers and the 24/7[INSERT MAP HERE] servers.

The Lions Den (US-West) whenever it's not full. Alltalk server, active when I usually play, chill regulars, decent ping, custom maps played often (with map noms + voting rather than rotation). Best of all, usually a high percentage of good players on. I hate it when you join a server and 1 or two people have 3x the score of everyone else, because they're the only ones who have any idea what they're doing :|. Much more satisfying getting MVP on a team of skilled players.

The Machine - Advanced Teamplay (also US-West) is also a really good server. Fits most of what I described for the Lions Den (except alltalk), I just prefer The Lions Den for the chill atmosphere.

Mongol13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The mongols are and were cool.
    • View Profile

If I feel like owning n00bz, any Valve server. Rocket Blast otherwise.
If Nyquil isn't meant to be abused, then why does it come with a shot glass?

My old account on this forum is klingon13524.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Aerolite gaming ftw! (3 servers: turbine 24/7, 2fort 24/7 and payload vote, soon to have unofficial maps from tf2maps.net)
But if youre going on the valve servers, and those are full of noobs, wont there be a HUGE concentration of backburners, phlognisators, machina bodyshotters, tomislavs, and all the others?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I honestly don't understand the drive to join servers full of players drastically less skilled than you. Empty victory much?

But if youre going on the valve servers, and those are full of noobs, wont there be a HUGE concentration of backburners, phlognisators, machina bodyshotters, tomislavs, and all the others?

I don't see how this would matter anyway. Giving bad players these weapons doesn't suddenly give them an unfair advantage or anything, it just lets them mitigate the consequences of being bad.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Still annoys me tough.
So i usually only really play tf2 when alot of the server regs are on the servers.
If you want some really hilarious things, just start up a bot game and play as spy.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 556 557 [558] 559 560 ... 774