Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 661 662 [663] 664 665 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 781516 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Summer of Balance '13 "Hey, lotta' good that gun didya!"
« Reply #9930 on: September 30, 2013, 12:12:13 pm »

Hit-sounds are in advanced options, but he's right, they're useful. Especially if you play a non-direct-attack class, like pyro (people burning will ding it), soldier (rockets), demoman (grenading over a wall to make sure you're hitting something) medic (same thing for needles, and I use it to make sure the guy I'm with is effectively hitting stuff, since it dings for the damage your medigun-attached pal is doing)

Plus, it's satisfying as a heavy to have this cascade of dinging when you deal a tonne of crits to a clump of people.

Also, auto-medic-call is good if you play medic, so you can see when someone is low health (you set the rate), and a medic indicator will pop-up over people who need healing even if they don't call for medic.

Anyway, for a long time I didn't use mouse acceleration, but when I realized that I play classes that have a use for fine aiming as well as needing huge, fast, sweeping movements (spy, heavy, medic to an extent) it became fairly obvious to turn it on.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9931 on: September 30, 2013, 04:03:02 pm »

Mouse movement speed goes up to 8.0 (it can go faster than that but the bar stops moving to the right at 8.0) and I keep it around 3-5. Fairly slow?

Mouse acceleration goes to 1.0 and I keep it around 0.5. 1.0 is absurdly fast, by the way.

That's what works for me, what works for you would be different.

3.0 was what I had by default. I've now got it at 0.3 since that's what I thought you meant and I'm actually doing a little better than I was before. Mouse Acceleration I've got at 0.5 I think but I'm not certain.

Also, while you're there, turn on hitsounds. It can be quite useful to hear a "ping" every time you hit somebody.

I already did that. It does help.

Also, auto-medic-call is good if you play medic, so you can see when someone is low health (you set the rate), and a medic indicator will pop-up over people who need healing even if they don't call for medic.

After last night and this morning it turns out that Medic is my best class so I think I will be doing that. I say best class because I score at the same rate as I do as a Heavy but I get more overall points during the match. First map as Medic I came out with 38 points and I think third or fourth place on my team. That's the best I've ever done and I think I owe it to my previous experience as healer and buff supports in other PVP games.

I also gave Spy, Demoman and Pyro a try last night. I do alright as Pyro, okay as Demoman, and semi-okay as Spy. Out of the classes I've tried I'd say that in order from best for me to worst for me I'd say it's Medic > Engineer > Heavy > Soldier > Scout > Pyro > Demoman > Sniper > Spy. Kind of makes sense since in every PVP game I played I excelled as the healers, the buffers and the builders and did good as the heavy artillery and the scouts. I only put sniper low because that's kind of hit or miss for me. Of course things could change very easily as I just started Saturday.

Oh, one last thing. I have $0.60 USD in my Steam wallet and am contemplating making a purchase for one of my top five classes. Out of the ones I've seen the Wrangler, the Sandvich and Crit-a-Cola seem like they might be up my alley. Should I get one of these or should I save up and get a hat or starter pack instead?
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #9932 on: September 30, 2013, 04:06:35 pm »

x10 stats servers are funner then hell in baked into A sandvich.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9933 on: September 30, 2013, 04:11:52 pm »

Yeeeeess...
Feel the power of the Medic!
Let the ÜberCharge fill your veins!

*ahem*
Good to see more Medic mains arising. The one class that everyone always underestimates. A wrong thing to do it is. Crits to the face from the Übersaw are always fun (actually no, since you only get one or two portions of the Über as opposed to... More. If you live to tell the tale and use the Über.)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9934 on: September 30, 2013, 04:15:06 pm »

Some of the weapons you get from achievements, and all of them you get from drops.

I'd spend the money on a hat you like the look of. Something that you wouldn't otherwise get.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9935 on: September 30, 2013, 05:52:03 pm »

Use that money to get premium (Buy a hat pretty much).

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9936 on: September 30, 2013, 06:04:33 pm »

Keys are better investments. Get a key, buy two hats.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9937 on: September 30, 2013, 07:41:35 pm »

Yeeeeess...
Feel the power of the Medic!
Let the ÜberCharge fill your veins!

*ahem*
Good to see more Medic mains arising. The one class that everyone always underestimates. A wrong thing to do it is. Crits to the face from the Übersaw are always fun (actually no, since you only get one or two portions of the Über as opposed to... More. If you live to tell the tale and use the Über.)
I have to say, I don't meet many people that underestimate the power of turning someone else into a unstoppable death machine for 8 seconds, leaving aside everything else.

Anyway, I recommend putting a little more time into all the classes, many aspects of playing them aren't immediately clear. You might find you love rocket-jumping, and/or blowing stuff up, or that spying is more then meets the eye.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9938 on: September 30, 2013, 11:49:59 pm »

Mouse movement speed goes up to 8.0 (it can go faster than that but the bar stops moving to the right at 8.0) and I keep it around 3-5. Fairly slow?

Mouse acceleration goes to 1.0 and I keep it around 0.5. 1.0 is absurdly fast, by the way.

That's what works for me, what works for you would be different.

Actually that's not how it works on my end. Acceleration goes up to 1.40 and won't go below 1.0. Therefore I don't know what you're talking about as I cannot get it to be set up like that.

Some of the weapons you get from achievements, and all of them you get from drops.

I'd spend the money on a hat you like the look of. Something that you wouldn't otherwise get.

I had $0.60 USD in my Steam Wallet. Hats are $4.99 USD and up. Therefore I got the Sandvich since even though Medic is what I'm best at I still like playing as Heavy on occasion. Not liking Engineer anymore but I am liking Soldier a lot more thanks to The Original helping with my aim. I don't get paid until sometime tomorrow and even then I may not buy more funds this week. I kind of want to get something off of Amazon.com since I got a $5.00 USD Amazon.com gift card. I don't know, I haven't decided yet.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9939 on: September 30, 2013, 11:56:08 pm »

Ah, I mis-remember'd my options. 6.0 mouse sensitivity and 1.10 acceleration.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9940 on: October 01, 2013, 12:15:16 am »

Ah, I mis-remember'd my options. 6.0 mouse sensitivity and 1.10 acceleration.

I'll try that after I go for a late-night walk. I need to get out and get rid of this feeling of overstimulation I am dealing with right now.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9941 on: October 01, 2013, 02:56:27 am »

I had $0.60 USD in my Steam Wallet. Hats are $4.99 USD and up. Therefore I got the Sandvich since even though Medic is what I'm best at I still like playing as Heavy on occasion. Not liking Engineer anymore but I am liking Soldier a lot more thanks to The Original helping with my aim. I don't get paid until sometime tomorrow and even then I may not buy more funds this week. I kind of want to get something off of Amazon.com since I got a $5.00 USD Amazon.com gift card. I don't know, I haven't decided yet.

Never ever ever EVER spend actual hard money on buying hats and weapons from the TF Store. If you want a hat, you can acquire them much more cheaply from trading metal.

Really, a single key (2.50 USD) can be traded for something like 6 refined metal, which'll buy you four hats minimum. If you go with noncraftable hats, probably double that or more.

And when in doubt, just go to Scrap.tf, which is an automated website to make acquiring weapons and hats way easier.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9942 on: October 01, 2013, 10:53:11 am »

Ugh. I personally HATE trading with metal. I mean, what the hell are people going to do with metal, besides craft with it? Plus, I've found the TF2 Economy to not make sense at times. If 6 Refined can be crafted into two hats, why can it BUY four? Why are hats not worth what it takes to buy/craft them?
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9943 on: October 01, 2013, 11:08:32 am »

Ugh. I personally HATE trading with metal. I mean, what the hell are people going to do with metal, besides craft with it? Plus, I've found the TF2 Economy to not make sense at times. If 6 Refined can be crafted into two hats, why can it BUY four? Why are hats not worth what it takes to buy/craft them?

Actually, what you described makes perfect sense, cause you're just describing a small part of a bigger picture. It's about supply and demand really:

Just remember that TF2 has been around for a good many years now, which has given the existing playerbase a long time to acquire tons and tons of metal and hats. For hats, it's more than just crafting, they come into existence from drops, crates, promos, events, and sometimes someone actually buys one from the store as well (which you shouldn't, but it's there). Not everyone even WANTS all these hats, so demand is lowered, which results in a lower price in metal, which is really only used as a faux currency since crafting is more a niche thing that some people only do for fun sometimes.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9944 on: October 01, 2013, 11:24:07 am »

Hm. Eh, I think I'll just stick to my practice of 1:1 Trading. I give a hat, I get a hat. Or I check the spreadsheet to see what things are worth and ask for an equivalent item. I almost never accept metal when trading...
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!
Pages: 1 ... 661 662 [663] 664 665 ... 774