Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 730 731 [732] 733 734 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 777778 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: The Gun Mettle Update! "G'day, Mr. Hale."
« Reply #10965 on: July 09, 2015, 01:10:21 pm »

while many welcomed the balance changes, BS weapons like the huntsman still exist
oi m8, huntsman takes skill. like demoman takes skill.

Nah, really. Huntsman is a totally different playstyle from the other snipers that just hitscan all day erryday. Gotta learn the nuances of predicting the huntsman projectiles so you can land shots on moving targets at various distances. I hate standard hitscan snipers more. Get in my face and headshot me like a man, not hiding in the corner at the far end of the map like a coward.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10966 on: July 09, 2015, 01:18:02 pm »

Valve servers are the only good servers left anyway, unless you like the points bullshit + rtd + p2w + advertisements when you join.

But trade servers are alright. I can't be arsed to learn the nuances of backpack.tf,outpost, etc :P

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10967 on: July 09, 2015, 01:56:34 pm »

while many welcomed the balance changes, BS weapons like the huntsman still exist
oi m8, huntsman takes skill. like demoman takes skill.

Nah, really. Huntsman is a totally different playstyle from the other snipers that just hitscan all day erryday. Gotta learn the nuances of predicting the huntsman projectiles so you can land shots on moving targets at various distances. I hate standard hitscan snipers more. Get in my face and headshot me like a man, not hiding in the corner at the far end of the map like a coward.
i do get in people's faces as a normal sniper.
you dont even need to headshot to get ridiculous damage with the huntsman, and it's hard not to get headshots :x
anyway, when you're being shot at it feels like this: https://youtu.be/9yd1YpPZ0XM?t=23s

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10968 on: July 09, 2015, 02:29:33 pm »

i do get in people's faces as a normal sniper.
you dont even need to headshot to get ridiculous damage with the huntsman, and it's hard not to get headshots :x
anyway, when you're being shot at it feels like this: https://youtu.be/9yd1YpPZ0XM?t=23s
Not really. Maybe when it was first released, the hit detection was that wonky. Whenever I've tested it on tr_walkway the hitboxes seem perfectly reasonable.

And it seems fair to get "ridiculous damage" without a headshot out of a non-exploding projectile that's harder to hit with than a hitscan rifle.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10969 on: July 09, 2015, 04:14:15 pm »

I used to dislike people using the huntsman outside of nocrit/damage spread servers, but with damage spread extinct it's so much more harmless. Whereas before an unaimed fully charged bodyshot from across the map would more often than not kill a class with 125 health in one hit, on a server with damage spread off it'll always do 120 damage instead. It was a similar deal with the loch 'n' load being stupid (even before it got the 3rd shot), and to a much lesser extent the direct hit. I still think it's absurd how quickly the huntsman charges shots, and its usage of the massive projectile hitbox is as stupid as ever, but it's not nearly as unpleasant to play against as a light class when damage spread is off.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10970 on: July 09, 2015, 09:06:45 pm »

I dunno you can just fire it vaguely at headheight down some corridor and it will often score a headshot due to the generous hit detection.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10971 on: July 09, 2015, 09:15:59 pm »

I dunno you can just fire it vaguely at headheight down some corridor and it will often score a headshot due to the generous hit detection.
You can do the same thing with rockets, grenades, stickies, flares, all being shot towards a corner or high traffic area, etc, although of course not headshots. Hell, snipers usually plant their scoped in crosshair at a corner at head height waiting for enemies to round the corner. This argument hardly seems like enough justification to say that huntsman is broken. It's more a case of just spamming projectiles.

A common tactic I use as demoman for dealing with pyros is backing around corners and predicting when they come around the corner after me and preemptively fire a grenade so it hits as soon as they turn the corner. Works like a charm. Another thing I do is fire it towards a crowd of people pushing a cart, and due to the fustercluck of hitboxes I can expect to get several direct hits and often leads to multikills. Are pipe bombs broken then?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10972 on: July 09, 2015, 09:17:39 pm »

Plus, Huntsman is kinda built for spamming projectiles, although I agree it's kind of annoying since it's still stronger than the sniper rifle at close range. I think they should reduce the hitbox to flare-size.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10973 on: July 09, 2015, 09:20:06 pm »

You can do the same thing with rockets, grenades, stickies, flares, all being shot towards a corner or high traffic area, etc, although of course not headshots. Hell, snipers usually plant their scoped in crosshair at a corner at head height waiting for enemies to round the corner. This argument hardly seems like enough justification to say that huntsman is broken. It's more a case of just spamming projectiles.

A common tactic I use as demoman for dealing with pyros is backing around corners and predicting when they come around the corner after me and preemptively fire a grenade so it hits as soon as they turn the corner. Works like a charm. Another thing I do is fire it towards a crowd of people pushing a cart, and due to the fustercluck of hitboxes I can expect to get several direct hits and often leads to multikills. Are pipe bombs broken then?

No he's right, Huntsman is 100% broken. Hitscan (normal bullet weapons) and projectiles (like arrows...) use different hitboxes. If you side-by-side compare them, you'll notice that the head hitbox for headshots for arrows is something like twice as big as it is for regular bullets. Plus the arrow's hitbox itself is enormous, it's more like you're firing a highspeed log at the enemy than an arrow. It's egregious.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10974 on: July 09, 2015, 09:31:20 pm »

Plus, Huntsman is kinda built for spamming projectiles, although I agree it's kind of annoying since it's still stronger than the sniper rifle at close range. I think they should reduce the hitbox to flare-size.
It's almost as if they meant for hunstman to be used in closer range than rifles.  :P

No he's right, Huntsman is 100% broken. Hitscan (normal bullet weapons) and projectiles (like arrows...) use different hitboxes. If you side-by-side compare them, you'll notice that the head hitbox for headshots for arrows is something like twice as big as it is for regular bullets. Plus the arrow's hitbox itself is enormous, it's more like you're firing a highspeed log at the enemy than an arrow. It's egregious.
So, if Valve reduced the hitboxes, would huntsman not be broken and cheap?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10975 on: July 09, 2015, 09:32:58 pm »

I'm pretty sure Huntsman is intended for medium range, not headshotting a scout who is circlestrafing around you.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10976 on: July 09, 2015, 09:37:57 pm »

I'm pretty sure Huntsman is intended for medium range, not headshotting a scout who is circlestrafing around you.
If the user can land the shots then he can use it at close range. Projectile prediction, yo. Scout should dodged less predictably, or flank and catch them off guard.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10977 on: July 09, 2015, 09:47:15 pm »

Projectile prediction is one thing, having hitbox the size of the sniper's mother is another.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10978 on: July 10, 2015, 01:38:59 am »

Barring crits other spammed projectiles don't just instantly kill people and are way less effective when fired from long-distance due to damage falloff (I guess a sticky trap works but that requires more setup and it can be countered by an alert enemy).  I don't know if it's actually overpowered compared to playing as a class that actually actively does things but "oh some guy randomly fired an arrow down this corridor at shoulder height a couple of seconds ago, guess I'm dead" is hardly compelling gameplay.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10979 on: July 10, 2015, 04:04:18 am »

As I said, the silly-fast charge rate also annoys me. 120 damage is a lot. Maybe reduce the charge and hitbox a little.

On another topic, this still isn't fixed.
The thing that confuses me most is why dropping guns into the payload makes it explode. maybe valve should be fixing that instead???

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 730 731 [732] 733 734 ... 774