Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 781046 times)

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: WAR! update! "Heads..."
« Reply #1785 on: December 21, 2009, 07:44:49 pm »

You are an Engi?

I need to go on when you do, sir.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: December 21, 2009, 07:55:34 pm »

Kind of tired of playing engie, so I was trying to work on my soldier skills. Turns out I'm not so good with it, but I'm getting better.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: December 21, 2009, 11:39:30 pm »

Kind of tired of playing engie

Hopefully the Engy update (whenever that comes) will vary the gameplay of the Engy as much (but not in the same way) as the WAR update did for the Demo. I'm actually really interested to see what they'll do to him.

I'm hoping for a Christmas update, in somewhat the same vein as the Halloween update. With seasonal hats, like the Halloween sacks.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: December 21, 2009, 11:54:07 pm »

Kind of tired of playing engie

Hopefully the Engy update (whenever that comes) will vary the gameplay of the Engy as much (but not in the same way) as the WAR update did for the Demo. I'm actually really interested to see what they'll do to him.

I'm hoping for a Christmas update, in somewhat the same vein as the Halloween update. With seasonal hats, like the Halloween sacks.
Uber sentry but no dispencer/teleporter? Gun that repairs at range? Who knows.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1789 on: December 22, 2009, 01:50:37 am »

3 most played:
Spah: 15 hours, 14 mins
Soldier: 3 hours, 12 mins
Medic: 2 hours, 30 mins

I can't stand playing as spy- but to each his own. I find the Medic can be fun, as can Engy.

I'm really looking forward to the Engy update. I'm pretty sure we'll see at least one or two of the following:

-Dispensi-trap: Replaces the regular dispenser with a cardboard box full of dynamite that LOOKS real to the enemy team; as soon as it's sapped or shot, it explodes!

-Bouncer: Replaces the teleporter with a similar device that launches the character using it with about as much force as the scout's double-jump, allowing such sneaky things as dropping a heavy in a top-floor window.

-Crita-spenser: Like a very pointy dispenser, allied units within it's radius get a boost to critical hit chances.

-Spearer: Replaces turret; unlike the regular turret, it has four ten-foot-long spikes. When an enemy gets within reach, it spears them for massive damage. Unlike a regular turret which is best placed at the end of a medium-long hallway, the spearer should be just behind the doorframe.

-Up-armor: A special wrench that is terrible for building, but can be used to "overheal" your equipment, giving you twice the time to save them.

-Hackwrench: Hitting a structure with this wrench will cause it to switch to your side, blowing up any old equipment of yours it might displace. Hitting an enemy with this does nothing, though if it made them see colors backwards for a random set of time, there could be fun. It can repair, but not upgrade things.

-Hoover: Replaces shotgun, or possibly pistol. A reverse gun that sucks up target items, turning them to metal or ammo, and just maybe picks up sticky mines. A successful taunt with this item picks up the enemies' hat, though the Soldier is so attached to his helmet that that might not be possible.

-Ammo Packer: Replaces builder remote. Takes metal and packs it up into tasty ammo units for allied characters. Allows Engies to help out the heavies, too! Potentially, a team of hoover-and-packer-packing Engies and medics could move ammo to a heavy like a bucket brigade.

I'd bet on the Crita-spenser more than anything else, though the ammo packer would be awesome.

What's really needed is a good way to get Engies involved in the combat instead of moping around the base. But you need to do that without making them actually be effective fighters. That's what I like about the Hackwrench and Crita-spenser, both of which are best used at the very front lines.

A simple Uber-sentry is unlikely, because as it is, they already are either killing you or not killing you. That binaryness is what makes them so balanced; a well-placed sentry is an immovable object, but a poorly-placed one is trash. What's essential to preserve is the way that it's all dependent on the engie's skill level.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #1790 on: December 22, 2009, 01:52:58 am »

I want a Sentry Mount.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1791 on: December 22, 2009, 02:20:52 am »

AH HA!

It'll be a cigarette dispenser, and it will lower health while increasing crits!
Or a Booze dispenser, which will decrease accuracy, which would encourage the whole team to get in closer... And would be more dwarfy.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: December 22, 2009, 02:36:21 am »

Yeah, for those of you complaining about soldier/demo spam during their update, just wait for the massive campfest when the engineer update goes live. Turn one corner... stare at 10 sentries.

Better hope there's an engineer weapon that makes him move away from sentries  ::)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: December 22, 2009, 03:49:09 am »

Yeah, I don't really like playing engy, but still do it quite often if noone else on the team will do it. Especially when attacking in a server with norespawntime, the only thing keeping either side from winning is the "added respawntime", which is the time it takes to run from spawn to the Front. It's often hard or impossible for Blue to win without teleporters, plus I hate running running running boom dead.

At the start of a round I usually pick a medic when blue to ueber once, then die and switch. I stopped playing the medic because the uebercharge takes too long, but at game setup I'm waiting anyway.

I still rule supreme as a pyro, I think I played the pyro as much as all other classes combined. I'm even getting better at the flare-gun (which is easily the hardest-to-aim-weapon in the game).

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: December 22, 2009, 09:38:20 am »

-Ammo Packer: Replaces builder remote. Takes metal and packs it up into tasty ammo units for allied characters. Allows Engies to help out the heavies, too! Potentially, a team of hoover-and-packer-packing Engies and medics could move ammo to a heavy like a bucket brigade.

Metal lying around is already ammo, trading all your buildings for the ability to move it around is insane.

Anyhow I don't massively like any of those ideas. The engies buildings shouldn't be tampered with. He already has a nice flexibility of purpose there, capable of providing area denial on defense via the well known engy and overused engy nest. Or  else frontline support through his dispenser teleports and well placed level 1 sentries. (I hate those engineers though, they all act so smug as if this is the only proper way of playing engineer and that makes them so much better than everyone else.) Then we get to his weapons which are just so damn nice, sure he's not the most powerfull guy ever but his weapons work well with his buildings and even help contribute during a group push.

As such I'm dreading the engineer update. I see him gaining a bunch of useless gimmicks which destroy any kind of flexibilty he had.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: December 22, 2009, 09:52:25 am »

How could the new unlocks possibly ruin him?

If they are badly made, people will either use the old ones, which are fine, or simply be another 125 HP frontline class, which is hilarious.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: December 22, 2009, 10:16:43 am »

Yeh, the unlocks wont destroy the flexibility of his old weapons but if he just gets a bunch of useless stuff then I will still be sad. I'm actually very dissapointed that most of the unlocks were just slight tweaks to existing weapons, would have been better to get more like the demos were it totally changed the class or the kritz where it was an alternative strategic option.things like the direct hit make me sad because they are just the same weapon tweaked.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: December 22, 2009, 10:20:14 am »

However, it did change a major strategy of the class. Soldiers did depend a lot on their splash damage, and were somewhat loners in that they were best suited to wandering the map apart from the group. The Buff Banner made them stick with a group, and the direct hit made them less focused on saturation fire.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: December 22, 2009, 10:27:09 am »

Yeah, the splash is actually long-range-pyroing, very nice for concentrated groups of enemies, preferably while rocket-jumping, spamming from above.
The direct-hit I'm eager to try, but will probably be more suitable for staying back and sniping heavies and slower opponents.

The equaliser is just nonsense as a weapon. Although very useful for RUNNING AWAY, it's not very good when running straight into a pyro... It is nice to get some kind of speedboost though, the soldier is excruciatingly slow.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: December 22, 2009, 11:58:43 am »

If the engie update is that wrench that lets you place down 3 level 1 sentries... DO NOT WANT...

I'd rather see something original and new, like they did for the demo/soldier.

Speaking about that, TF2 blog says there will be one more update coming.

Update Update
December 21, 2009 - TF2 Team

We've got one more update to go out to our backend item system. After that, we'll be granting all the missing items that weren't granted properly when you finished achievements.
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 774