Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 106

Author Topic: Life and Times of Strife26  (Read 142523 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Life and Times of Strife26
« Reply #1305 on: June 19, 2011, 07:26:42 pm »

I'm sorely tempted to create a 'Capulet' account and harass you...

Anyway, I don't see anything wrong with this, it's nice to be able to put a (sort-of, due to the internet) human face on the military.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: June 19, 2011, 11:23:40 pm »

Do it. Start a feud betwixt the houses.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: June 19, 2011, 11:32:26 pm »

OK....

Am I the only other soldier that has ever responded here?

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: June 20, 2011, 12:18:41 am »

You being the only one who's been a dick about it doesn't make you the only one to respond here.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: June 20, 2011, 02:16:13 am »

OK....

Hemmingjay and Africa also responded at the beginning of the thread.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: June 20, 2011, 06:13:46 am »

Errr, also, this is NOT the place to talk about your profession, bro. What you say and how you act reflects upon the military service and your occupational branch. Right now, you got this sort of livejournal emo thing going on, which is not good. It looks bad. It feels bad. I am sad.

Gosh, considering you're calling a self-described 'blind optimist' an emo, it's almost as if you haven't any idea what you're talking about!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: June 20, 2011, 02:25:16 pm »

OK....

Are you the only one who feels like waving their e-dick around?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: June 20, 2011, 09:33:17 pm »

Yeah, I haven't really followed the thread and he's apparently posted here before he ever joined the Army. I was just sort of surprised to see a thread like this especially from a combat arms type, especially on a forum I've been on for a while. My point is this type of thing is generally frowned upon in the military and it can get you in trouble, as almost any trivial thing you say can be considered an OPSEC violation. Pictures are an especially bad idea and especially so if your phone or camera includes GPS coordinates on the photo's .exif data and you are taking pictures of say, anything on the FOB you reside on downrange.

I don't know what the other soldiers in his unit think about this, but personally, I just think its kinda silly and unprofessional to go on about yourself, your military duties and telling war stories to random internet strangers. I'm probably being just as silly by being an asshole about it though, so, I'm not going to argue about it anymore.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: June 21, 2011, 01:27:44 am »

lolwut. You have not been on these forums a while. You have been on these forums for about a month.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: June 21, 2011, 03:44:26 am »

We're not all "random internet strangers"
We're an actual community, some of us are asshats, some are people-people, some have been well educated, others have lived by the seat of their pants, some of us don't need to shave, others have hit the far side of forty like a truck into a bridge embankment, the point being: We're just about all friends here, and if someone is for some reason selling out the little "useful" information Strife gives to those that would harm him, there is a lever in the next room, mind the floodgate.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: June 21, 2011, 03:48:27 am »

lolwut. You have not been on these forums a while. You have been on these forums for about a month.
What does that have to do with anything?

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: June 21, 2011, 03:57:49 am »

especially on a forum I've been on for a while.
What does that have to do with anything?
this being what he was referring to

Kandi Apple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: June 21, 2011, 09:11:17 am »

We're not all "random internet strangers"
We're an actual community, some of us are asshats, some are people-people, some have been well educated, others have lived by the seat of their pants, some of us don't need to shave, others have hit the far side of forty like a truck into a bridge embankment, the point being: We're just about all friends here, and if someone is for some reason selling out the little "useful" information Strife gives to those that would harm him, there is a lever in the next room, mind the floodgate.

I'm sorely tempted to create a 'Capulet' account and harass you...

Anyway, I don't see anything wrong with this, it's nice to be able to put a (sort-of, due to the internet) human face on the military.

I second these.  K. I can concede that Strife shouldn't GPS stamp a photo (who does that anyway?) or other such silliness, but I'll also say, that maybe, just maybe, if more 'vicious, vile, violent vermin' types played DF, maybe, just maybe, we wouldn't need people being where Strife is...  More gaming....less war I say!!   8)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: June 21, 2011, 10:04:04 am »

Yeah, I haven't really followed the thread and he's apparently posted here before he ever joined the Army. I was just sort of surprised to see a thread like this especially from a combat arms type, especially on a forum I've been on for a while. My point is this type of thing is generally frowned upon in the military and it can get you in trouble, as almost any trivial thing you say can be considered an OPSEC violation. Pictures are an especially bad idea and especially so if your phone or camera includes GPS coordinates on the photo's .exif data and you are taking pictures of say, anything on the FOB you reside on downrange.

I don't know what the other soldiers in his unit think about this, but personally, I just think its kinda silly and unprofessional to go on about yourself, your military duties and telling war stories to random internet strangers. I'm probably being just as silly by being an asshole about it though, so, I'm not going to argue about it anymore.

Also, if you were actually reading it you'd see Strife's incredibly careful with regards to Opsec and such. As far as I know the only pictures he's posted have been of him at home.
*Hugs*

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1319 on: June 21, 2011, 10:23:01 am »

Besides all that, Montague's perspective is out of date.

The military accepts that community and communication are very important for a deployed soldiers morale even if they are (most likely) monitoring it for potential security issues. Our war in Iraq and Afghanistan have had more troops deployed away from home for longer than in just about any other war in US history.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 106