Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 106

Author Topic: Life and Times of Strife26  (Read 142520 times)

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Life and Times of Strife26
« Reply #1320 on: June 21, 2011, 11:36:56 pm »

Also, if you were actually reading it you'd see Strife's incredibly careful with regards to Opsec and such. As far as I know the only pictures he's posted have been of him at home.

In his last post he clearly threatened to post pictures from downrange. That said, I am not attacking the person, I am attacking his practices.

lolwut. You have not been on these forums a while. You have been on these forums for about a month.

Nah. I've been around since 2008, I posted as 'Guy Montag' and other SN's. 'Montague' is just a play on 'Montag'. I get long involuntary breaks from the internet and I forget the passwords.

Besides all that, Montague's perspective is out of date.

The military accepts that community and communication are very important for a deployed soldiers morale even if they are (most likely) monitoring it for potential security issues. Our war in Iraq and Afghanistan have had more troops deployed away from home for longer than in just about any other war in US history.

Nah, its even more restrictive then it ever was. Soldiers walk a tight line, they can't even sneeze in public without some major media outlet coming up with a headline like "ARMY BIO- INFECTION...WAR-CRIMES ON THE HOME FRONT??!?!"

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: June 23, 2011, 01:59:38 pm »

Interesting bit of dialog while I wasn't about, wasn't there?

Firstly, I'd like to ask that we keep it civil, eh? Montague is raising a nice number of good points, which I'm perfectly fine with addressing, and it's perfectly good to see another tanker type around here.

Any type of blog like this (one that's only focused on the personal experiences and insights of an individual) is going to have the livejournal emo feel, it's very difficult to avoid. Surprisingly enough, I actually do a fair bit of thinkerating about how best to keep it going. To some extent, I'm helped by the fact that I can be pretty random, and by the comment-response-comment nature of putting it in thread forum. However, as far as I've reasoned, the only real way to keep a thread from getting somewhat LET feeling is to make it focused on something concrete (like Mr. Fox's excellent blog, which is focused on video-game design). In my case, while I very specifically left this thread open for discussion and debate about any issues pertaining to me, I don't really have a single-issue that I care about enough to fill pages with. 

To no small extent, I think that the effect gets negated by my good old optimistic insanity, I'm not sure how other people read my voice here, but I imagine that pages of "kinda annoying, doing great, random observation" tend to leave an optimistic tone in my voice, which has always been my goal here. However, I think that it gets very easily lost unless I work to keep it up.

Which kinda brings us to the very valid points that Montague raised: do I violate OPSEC, and does this thread bring credit to self/corp/army/country?

As Merchant of Menace indicated, I go through relatively great pains to keep in accordance with OPSEC. Exactly what all I do, I'm not going to say, but it's enough to make it pretty tough for anyone hostile to get any information from me, it'd be rough for them. Sure, I'm sure that any serious inquiry into this blog from anyone official type would get me a counseling statement saying "don't do this shit," it's not putting anyone else around here at risk (which is something I take very very very seriously).

When I post some pictures from downrange, expect to see me in front of a hesco or jersey barrier with an M4 in one hand and a M240 over a shoulder, or a conex that we were able to shove absolutely full of exercise equipment. About the closest thing that I'd get to anything compromising would be external shots of an MRAP, which are all allowed (we've been briefed on what we can and cannot take pictures of). And honestly, at the difficultly I've been having with getting the internets, the odds of me getting my ipod or ds connected to a wireless network before the Army and this private are out of Iraq is starting to look increasingly slim.

Now, the second question is one of if what I'm doing helps the Army, and I'd argue that it does. The modern portrayal of the soldier comes in three primary flavors, Soldier as Paragon of Goodness, Soldier as EVEEEL Scum, and Soldier as victim of horribly run war. I do my best to present myself as Soldier as Soldier. Yeah, I'll be the first to admit that the army isn't perfect, but at the end of the day, my underlining point for these things is "we're doing good work here," which is *the* point that needs to be made. Also, the fact that my existence in the little corner of the internet that I really consider my home right now gives a nice bit of personification to everyone who reads this. A soldier isn't a faceless guy in a helmet. A name on that soldier is good, but I'd argue that Strife26 of Bay 12 Games, that crazy sonofabitch who is only needs sleep to be cheerful is about as good as it gets. I don't consider myself all that emplaced in reality, but I'm a very real fixture around here, and truth that soldiers aren't really all that different. That, I'd content, is very much in the Army's interest.

Even the avatars expire eventually.

Kandi Apple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: June 23, 2011, 02:08:55 pm »

Amen!

Kandi Apple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: June 23, 2011, 02:09:27 pm »

Sorry....couldn't resist  ;D

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: June 23, 2011, 02:52:23 pm »

A soldier isn't a faceless guy in a helmet. A name on that soldier is good, but I'd argue that Strife26 of Bay 12 Games, that crazy sonofabitch who is only needs sleep to be cheerful is about as good as it gets. I don't consider myself all that emplaced in reality, but I'm a very real fixture around here, and truth that soldiers aren't really all that different. That, I'd content, is very much in the Army's interest.

I have an unfair advantage there, since I've seen the guy under the helmet (even if you don't get to travel with a helmet).  I would like to apologize for not saying much in your thread here, but even if I read it every time it updates, I rarely find myself with much to say.  What I can say is that you're succeeding, in putting a good face on an easy stereotype, especially one that doesn't always make good impressions.  You're impressive, and don't forget it.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: June 23, 2011, 02:59:34 pm »

Now, the second question is one of if what I'm doing helps the Army, and I'd argue that it does. The modern portrayal of the soldier comes in three primary flavors, Soldier as Paragon of Goodness, Soldier as EVEEEL Scum, and Soldier as victim of horribly run war. I do my best to present myself as Soldier as Soldier.

Personally, I want to hear about Soldier as People Being Soldier. That's what resonates with me. Soldiers are often set apart from normal every day people, whether by themselves, the government or the media. It's when the rest of the world can imagine themselves in your boots, trying to do a job, make decisions, stay alive and stay human that war becomes more real than anything we'll ever see on TV, and when suddenly every set of dog tags begins to matter to you. I don't necessarily see or want to see Soldiers as Victims or Heroes, because I don't think that's how they want to be seen.

To me they're just people who have seen and done things I'll likely never be able to comprehend...and that leaves me with the profoundest sense of awe and respect.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 03:01:27 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: June 23, 2011, 04:53:07 pm »

Well thank you for settling that. I personally really enjoy this and hope you keep it up, in whatever manner seems best to you.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: June 24, 2011, 02:35:24 am »

You're doing a good thing here. Sorry for being unduly nasty, by the way.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: June 27, 2011, 10:04:59 am »

Life continues here, I've been doing some more expansion on my personal setting's notes, somewhat hampered by the draw of CIV4.  Also, I'm doing my best to take advantage of the Army's tuition assistance program to take a class or two online while I'm over here. I'll probably put up a new thread with a poll to decide what to take (as I'm as ambivalent as usual on the matter). However, myself, gmail, firefox, IE, chrome, AKO, and goarmyed are having . . . considerable disagreements with each other in what I can only term a cyber-civil war. I have never been more tempted to discharge my sidearm into a computer before.
http://rebeluniv.blogspot.com/2011/01/ako-sucks.html

And introducing a new semi-regular feature for the thread, Strife drinks foreign soft drinks.

Yesterday's drink (as I've already forgotten what the okayish green apple flavored drink I had today tasted like) was Rani Orange-Carrot. It came in a nice glass bottle and was 300ml for 50 cents. Overall, it was okay. I didn't taste much carrot, just slightly thicker and sweeter orange juice. 6/10 overall.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: June 27, 2011, 10:18:39 am »

What courses are you choosing between?
Love, scriver~

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: June 27, 2011, 10:49:50 am »

Pretty much anything that Central Texas College offers online, which I'd list if THEY'D LET ME IN THEIR FUCKING SITE.

Raaaage. This is the degree program I signed up for before I deployed, but heck if it's telling me how to actually take the classes.
https://www.goarmyed.com/docs/degrees/CTC_AGS.pdf

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: June 30, 2011, 04:31:05 pm »

I actually ended up having about four nice, long posts to post here today. However, looking at the time, I'm probably not going to be posting any of them. Bit of a rough day here, went through the stage where I raged at my laptop. It's crashing, badly. Windows explorer isn't even running in normal mode. On safe mode, I can look at my files, but not open up any word or open office documents. Thankfully, my Tomboy database of notes is still alive. I've been doing some updating on it and exporting the full thing to a flashdrive. Which segued nicely into my continuing concern about trying to write a good story. I don't know if I'll ever be able to do it, or more importantly, do it justice, but I'm still fleshing out the setting and hammering things down.

Last sig was pretty straightforward,
"Shivering in Iraq, Bloody Air Conditioning"
I shiver in my tent right now. It's cold enough that I affect a stocking cap and gloves most of the time as well. Of course, that's a nice change from the heat outside.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: July 01, 2011, 09:35:46 am »

Warning, livejournal emo shit ahead!

Looks like I'm for a rough period of das funk. I'm not currently reading any book or playing any video game, which is always a telling sign.  I've lost interest in FG&RP which is a really worrying sign. Whenever I listen to my music, I either think of a story that I've never written or the fact that I'll probably never do anything like what's in the song.

I'm feeling like even more of a wayward son than normal. Don't get me wrong, I'm feeling as optimisticly insane as I always am, but I'm thinking that my prided outlook might be the crux of my problem. Whenever someone asks me how I'm doing, my truthful answer is always either "fine," "well enough," or "perfectly acceptable."

I can't think of a situation where I'm not perfectly fine (short of one where I don't get enough sleep). However, as I've been pondering on it, I don't know if I can think of a situation where I'm actually "happy" either. About the only thing that's ever really appealed to me was being in the next great war and that's a horrible thing to wish for. Of course, in any case, the great doctrinal war isn't on the horizon and I don't know (but I seriously doubt) if I'll stay in long enough for it. Try to become an officer? Either go to ROTC for 4 years or deal with USMA BS for 4, then continue to work and strive to always be better than my troops. I don't want to do that with my life, nine years or so committed?

Yeah, heck if I know what I want to do. About all that appeals to me right now is thinking about what to do or how to craft a story. Meh.

Kandi Apple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: July 01, 2011, 10:09:25 am »

Warning, livejournal emo shit ahead!

Looks like I'm for a rough period of das funk. I'm not currently reading any book or playing any video game, which is always a telling sign.  I've lost interest in FG&RP which is a really worrying sign. Whenever I listen to my music, I either think of a story that I've never written or the fact that I'll probably never do anything like what's in the song.

I'm feeling like even more of a wayward son than normal. Don't get me wrong, I'm feeling as optimisticly insane as I always am, but I'm thinking that my prided outlook might be the crux of my problem. Whenever someone asks me how I'm doing, my truthful answer is always either "fine," "well enough," or "perfectly acceptable."

I can't think of a situation where I'm not perfectly fine (short of one where I don't get enough sleep). However, as I've been pondering on it, I don't know if I can think of a situation where I'm actually "happy" either. About the only thing that's ever really appealed to me was being in the next great war and that's a horrible thing to wish for. Of course, in any case, the great doctrinal war isn't on the horizon and I don't know (but I seriously doubt) if I'll stay in long enough for it. Try to become an officer? Either go to ROTC for 4 years or deal with USMA BS for 4, then continue to work and strive to always be better than my troops. I don't want to do that with my life, nine years or so committed?

Yeah, heck if I know what I want to do. About all that appeals to me right now is thinking about what to do or how to craft a story. Meh.

You're 19.  You're normal.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: July 03, 2011, 11:25:54 pm »

What about transfering to the mechanics or somesuch and trying to get a trade while you're in the army? Free, and you make good money when you leave.

Also, thanks for the reading advice. You're right, Sun Tzu is mostly just basic tips, not as in-depth as I expected. Next stop, Machiavelli or Clauswitz. I might have to flip a coin to decide...
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 106