Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Graveyards/cemeteries  (Read 2102 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Graveyards/cemeteries
« on: April 19, 2008, 09:49:00 pm »

I searched the forum and the consolidated dev pages, and gfound nothing...

We already can bury our dwarves in fortress mode, but there isn't another place in the game where you can found cemeteries.

After the last release, people die in world generation, and with the next release, even more people will die, so I think Toady should consider the building of cemeteries in the towns (or near them, in a place where undead are a fact people wouldn't want their dead so close) where inhabitants who died would be buried. You could read the tombs and know who was buried there, or even the cause of death, and this would add up on legends mode.

Further, the sites could be expanded, as in family tombs, rulers mausoleuns, tomb robbers, undeads and so on.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Graveyards/cemeteries
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 01:30:00 am »

And when the moon is in a particular phase, the dead which weren't honoured enough rise as undead wielding xBroken Metal barx weapons.

I can see a lot happening from this suggestion.

When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 01:39:00 am »

I'd like to see the occasional graveyard.  You could have peasantry graveyards with a few shallow graves with simple mounds over them, or perhaps an inscribed wooden plank, while the more ornate graveyards would have iron bars around the perimeter as a fence f sorts, and the really ornate ones would have marble (or some other "powerful" stone) walls decorated with menacing spikes at certain intervals.

The main problem is that we can't actually lower coffins into the ground.  I've put together a type of burial, but it requires either walling or flooring over the open space.  I think some sort of reverently lowering the dead (instead of just dumping them) is in order for fort mode, but only in the very distant future.  Adventure mode graveyards first, so we can have something fun to look at along with crypts and mausoleums that provide us a good source of loot and undead.  I sufficiently haunted locales, the crypt may host an important undead creature that the mayor will send you to attack.

Since that sort of thing would be underground, you'd have the occasional problem of tapping into a cave river or chasm.  I think that sort of thing would actually be quite cool under the circumstances, since the area would essentially be considered abandoned anyways, and so it's okay to have a lot of random critters wandering around.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 03:05:00 pm »

yeah, that was the idea. Graveyards were important features of ancient cities, and they are lacking in DF.

jonnym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 03:22:00 pm »

Or do it the american indian way and let them be carried off with the wolves... seems more dwarven to me

But yes i really want to come across a crypt, break down the door and start desecrating some dead peoples. It would also be ironic to kill the great grand children of a long dead dwarf with their skull.

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 08:40:00 pm »

I saw some really, really amazing graves in Berlin during my travels. Really beautiful masoleums, tombs, gravestones, with flowerbeds, statues, the whole graveyard really doubled as a public garden/park.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 01:59:00 am »

@ DDouble: Most of the bigger Graveyards in Europe are like this.

A burial mound for importent Humans could be very awesome.

How elvish graveyards will look like?

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 02:46:00 am »

They probably get buried under trees, to double as fertilizer. Why do you think they want you to stop cutting trees every year ?

Ogren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 03:45:00 am »

How the dead are treated could be a custom that is different among the different enities (or among sites if the plan is to allow for differences within an entity). Some bury their dead, some burn them, some leave them to the wolves, some eat them (?), some use them as fertilizers and so on. Maybe this was the idea already..

This could be determined with a specific tag or randomly generated with other tags as input.

edit: spelling

[ April 22, 2008: Message edited by: Ogren ]

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 09:57:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Istrian:
<STRONG>They probably get buried under trees, to double as fertilizer. Why do you think they want you to stop cutting trees every year ?</STRONG>

The Age of Fire books (very good read, main protagonists are dragons, same author as Vampire Earth, another good series I should read) had an interesting take on this.  Elves actually became trees in death.  Not the same way that LotR's Ents were trees or became tree-like, but rather that the elf (who was already very plant like, or covered in plants, to begin with) would simply sit down and take root in the eath and grow, only years later starting to look like a tree.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 11:26:00 am »

Expanding the idea, graveyards in "Evil" areas should raise the corpses there as undead.

Ralgor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 11:48:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by thvaz:
<STRONG>Expanding the idea, graveyards in "Evil" areas should raise the corpses there as undead.</STRONG>

That would be awesome.  Your legendary mason bites it for some reason, you bury him, and then he rises from the dead sometime later.

That would be one heck of an unhappy thought for any dwarf that had to fight an undead friend (or spouse).

The dwarven equivalent of barbed wire:<BR>This is a finely-crafted Pig tail rope.  It is made from exceptional pig tail cloth.  This object menaces with spikes of green glass.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 01:28:00 pm »

In fact, Toady said there was, in a version pre-release, a fixed event where all the deads on a fortress would rise and attack your living dwarves, and there was thoughts like "Urist is upset for killing his undead son" and so on.

I was thinking however not only for graveyards in fortress mode, but for those in npc cities as well.

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 06:19:00 pm »

I think it would deffinetaly be smart to have graveyards in towns.

Also, having the names of the stiffs buried there and cause of death etc would be pretty smart as well. I deffinetaly think that in undead area's any people who aren't buried quickly (1 season timer?) should rise up.

Also, I think different burial types depending on who died and what race does the burying would be good as well. It could work in the same way that conquered sites seem to work now. Goblins would either leave their dead lying around (or possibly feed them to the demon?) while elves could maybe have long barrow- style graveyards. (Long Barrows, in Britain at least, are rectangular burial mounds in which the dead are buried en masse. The best style for DF would be with a short passge leading to a room in the middle which just has all the bones piled up together, not in order of who they actuslly were or anything).
Humans would probably have the typical graveyard style thing while dwarves would maybe have some sort of large underground crypt?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 06:39:00 pm »

Plus, once we get magic, you could raise the dead in the graveyards.
Shoes...
Pages: [1] 2