Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126456 times)

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1740 on: May 24, 2010, 08:14:18 pm »

Treating my dwarves lightly psycopathically, I haven't assigned bedrooms for the vast majority of them, including the military dwarves, who consequently sleep in my barracks.

My outdoor barracks.

On the arrival of a dragon, I drew everyone inside, hoping to trap and tame it.  Everyone went inside.  Except the elven merchants.  And the legendary wrestler napping on the dirt in my outdoor barracks.

So now I've got a bloodlusted dragon stuck in a birchen cage in my Dungeon Master's quarters.

Labhras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: May 24, 2010, 11:28:55 pm »

Sounds like a barrel of fun. Should make a goblin siege more interesting if you manage to tame it >:D

Oh, also, how do you order everyone to go inside in the new version, I looked around and couldn't find it.

SheepishOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: May 24, 2010, 11:47:37 pm »

I started a new fort in .04 and decided to give magma smelting a shot. Managed to keep everything walled off and secure (Even avoiding a flaming blob, that strangely entered the map with red body and two missing wings). So I thought I had it going pretty nice, and then goblins attack up top. I was still in the process of getting my military armed (as you can't start out gradual or you end up playing grab-arse with the arsenal dwarf and finicky dwarves who don't want to drop cheap crap). So they kill about three dwarves on the first few swings, send the rest running. I give the burrow call and find a new arsenal dwarf (who died in the assault). I've a full squads'worth of masterwork copper mail, greaves, and caps with some silver warhammers and a few steel spears. Should do the trick if they can just equip it..

And then the goblins run over my weapons traps as they descend into the fortress. None of them suffer any damage. They stop for a minute, then run BACK OUT through the traps. Again nothing. They head through again, to and fro, back and forth. I look at the records and the Green Glass Axes I'd mass produced are glancing off their silk gloves and caps.

Lesson: Don't use wood/glass or even metal traps without considering the new weapon properties. It's at this time I really wish lead could be forged into spiked balls, and that I had the steel available for blades. I'll re-equip them after it's over. That is if my fort survives the temper spiral, which is severe. A dwarf is being chased by his comrades as we speak. He seems to have picked up a dog and is flailing with it in a threatening manner.
You're flocked if you do and flocked if ya don't.

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: May 25, 2010, 02:30:54 am »

Lesson: Don't use wood/glass or even metal traps without considering the new weapon properties. It's at this time I really wish lead could be forged into spiked balls, and that I had the steel available for blades. I'll re-equip them after it's over. That is if my fort survives the temper spiral, which is severe. A dwarf is being chased by his comrades as we speak. He seems to have picked up a dog and is flailing with it in a threatening manner.
I've become quite partial to the giant axe blades, after watching a steel one cleave right through an elephant.  Sadly my current fortress has a higher threat level and fewer resources, so this time around it'll be bronze giant axes blades vs. zombie elephants.

What kind of damage does a flailed dog do? Lashing?

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: May 25, 2010, 03:19:57 am »

I've never done much with magma besides using it to replace fuel in my smelters and forges. So I constructed some magma drowning sealed workshops with remote controlled floodgates for doors. I made grates in front to drain the magma and had a large magma evaporating chamber on the level below. Spent a lot of time assembling floodgates, levers, mechanisms, grates etc. only to remember at the last moment that none of it was magma safe.

Could have been an even bigger facepalm if I'd started the magma flow before I double checked the magma safe material article on the wiki. Still, it's a pain in the ass to rebuild everything from scratch.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: May 25, 2010, 04:55:10 am »

My only war elephant just got his ass handed to him by a kobold thief, who then proceeded to escape with a ≡steel battle axe≡. The only weapon so far that wasn't made in the +/- area.  :'(
Love, scriver~

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: May 25, 2010, 05:20:20 am »

Sounds like a barrel of fun. Should make a goblin siege more interesting if you manage to tame it >:D

Oh, also, how do you order everyone to go inside in the new version, I looked around and couldn't find it.

To order Civvies anywhere you have to first define a burrow with 'w', you have to paint out the tiles for the burrow.
Then in the millitary screen in the "alerts" bit you should see your burrows on the right, hilight the "Civillian" group on the left and press right twice and select the burrow that they are confined to, you will get an 'A' telling you that it is currently active.

And then you'll get a ton of "Cannot find / Restricted access" spam as Dwarfs find tha cant get to their favourite fising spot etc.

Wish there was a default burrow consisting of all excavated inside tiles but hey, its still Alpha :)

Labhras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: May 25, 2010, 07:06:40 am »

Oh, I see. I was hoping the dwarves stay indoors order was still around.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: May 25, 2010, 11:14:58 am »

A carpenter building my 'sacrificial puppy on a rope' ambush early warning system got jumped by a kobold thief. 

The carpenter canceled his job and ran away, the kobold didn't even take a swing at him which was good.  However the carpenter wandered into the access channel that the miners used to dig out my moat during his panic and was promptly washed off the drainage cliff and ended up in the river 5 levels down with broken bones like dozens of goblins before him.

I was about to write off the carpenter as another bloated waterlogged corpse that I would never be able to clean up down there, when he got up and started moving upriver, not drowning at all.  With a shattered leg and arm.

I check his skills, no swimming skill.  Not even dabbling.  I'm trying to puzzle out the reason why the carpenter isn't drowning and during that time he swims over to the other side of the map and climbs up and back into the fortress using the waterwheel opening at the mill.  Where he dutifully goes to the hospital to get the broken bones treated.

I'm noting that down in my list of odd possible bugs, when I remember an important detail.  My game is modded, and my fortress race has a number of castes each with special abilities.  I check the carpenter's description and sure enough "His scales are jade".  He's a green dracon.  The green ones are [AMPHIBIOUS].  I spent 10 minutes trying to puzzle out the reasoning behind behavior I modded in myself.  There's a facepalm right there.

P.S. The bonus? It appears pathfinding in the old 40d 'brain turn off zones' like midair and underwater have been improved.  In 40d he wouldn't be able to figure out how to get out until he starved while this guy made a beeline for my mill waterwheel opening.  There wasn't even a ramp.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

SheepishOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: May 25, 2010, 12:26:32 pm »

Oh, I see. I was hoping the dwarves stay indoors order was still around.
Yeah, but the burrows system is much more simple when you figure in the new intricacies of digging down. If you just ordered them inside, they'd make a beeline there for things like fishing in dangerous waters. The burrow painter will only select open space, and it supports mouse. So you can big square highlight your entire fortress, and mouse paint the stairs when needed. Also, I made a separate alert for "dwarves go indoors", just create a new one under the m-a menu, select the "burrow x", then go back to the first column and select it. The alert that has [civ] next to it, when highlighted, will enact the program shown--for civilians.

Quote from: SpacemanSpiff
What kind of damage does a flailed dog do? Lashing?

Light bruising, mostly. I guess it was his dog, so he picked it up and carried it around with him until he couldn't take it anymore. Then he went berserk, the military dwarves rushed in to do their thing and just before they got to him the dog went off like a smoke bomb. They pushed through the miasma and killed him just fine, but now they were upset at the miasma, killing their friend, etc. and THEY started freaking out. I had to restart when I'd lost more than 30 dwarves and the goblins returned in the next damn season.
You're flocked if you do and flocked if ya don't.

Mordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: May 25, 2010, 05:46:13 pm »

If your planning on draining a pond to irrigate your farm, best remember the temperature of the biome, or act fast, because it may dry up before summer is over.  At least I still had a brook as a backup.
This Forgotten Beast was delicious!

GHudston

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: May 25, 2010, 09:37:00 pm »

Just spent several hours setting up a new fortress on a map with a major river with two small waterfalls feeding into it. I had set up most of the main areas of the fort and had received a good number of migrants, one of whom had built the forts first artifact (an iron figurine encrusted with bone).

Everything was going well until winter arrived and the downstream end of the major river froze. Trust DF to give me a crash course in both biome specific weather patterns and the effect of waterfalls on water pressure in one fell swoop.

Several dwarves drowned in the moat when the river broke it's banks, the rest were trapped inside by the water refusing to do anything due to the "dangerous terrain" created by the flooding. I had a good laugh, can't say the same about the dwarves though.  ;)

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: May 25, 2010, 10:59:51 pm »

While I was waiting for my magma chamber to be rebuilt, I engraved the walls and floors of it because I was bored and didn't know better. Several masterpieces were destroyed instantly and my two engravers are now upset.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

bloodtoes

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: May 26, 2010, 10:41:09 pm »

Queued up all my valuables for trading then asked a simple question: "What does 'o' do?"
Tekkud Udosdakost, Fisherdwarf cancels Fish: interrupted by Carp.
Tekkud Udosdakost has bled to death.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: May 27, 2010, 04:47:22 am »

"Elven merchant seems ecstatic with the trading!"
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 729