Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126657 times)

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2790 on: October 12, 2010, 10:50:59 am »

Oh hell, I just murdered my military. I built a danger room, but I screwed it up by installing a wooden spear in the mix -- musta bought it off those damn elves. It became a suicide chamber, and by the time I noticed a blood trail to the hospital, most of the squad was already dead in a pile in the danger room.

As a result of this fiasco, healthy dwarves formed a lemming procession into the danger room to pick up +pigtail sock+, where they each received a (sometimes fatal) wound and went to lay down in the hospital. Soon afterwards the remaining three healthy dwarves, who were in the army and thus training at the time, fought off a goblin ambush and then joined their comrades in the hospital. 25 dwarves hospitalized, and no one to get them drinks.

First time ever I saw "Your civilization has crumbled to its end"
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 05:50:19 am by AngleWyrm »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: October 12, 2010, 11:44:01 am »

learned that 'magma doesn't have pressure' doesn't mean that magma 'won't flow over itself' and that one cannot consider itself safe with just a channel.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: October 12, 2010, 01:04:23 pm »

learned that 'magma doesn't have pressure' doesn't mean that magma 'won't flow over itself' and that one cannot consider itself safe with just a channel.

Whoops.  Well, you learned now.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Demilich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: October 12, 2010, 10:38:01 pm »

My current fortress has been a nightmare, and it's all my fault. Incompetence abounds. My broker decided to lounge around until the dwarven caravan left with the anvil I desperately needed (Kept Conducting Meeting with the outpost liasion) so I had nothing but training weapons for my military. I decided to make a moat surrounding my entrance and depot. After filling it I channeled a side entrance without paying attention to what was underneath. Eventually I realized the mistake - I had channeled straight through the barracks at my entrance, and water began flooding in. While making the necessary preparations to block the flow, I received the message: "Militia captain cancels drink - Interrupted by grizzly bear". It climbed in through the hole and began gutting its way through my entire military, their wooden weapons unable to do anything but bruise it. It kept retreating, and I would cancel the kill order in the hopes that it would call it a day and leave, but each time it would turn back for more delicious dwarf flesh. Figuring that since the bear's pretty beat up already it shouldn't last much longer, I drafted everyone in the area, mobbing her. Dying dwarves lay helpless, legless, armless. One miner managed to injure the monster's heart and liver before falling. It did not appear to notice. Finally, one of the carpenters brought to the battle the fortress' most powerful weapon - a bronze axe. She smashed it in the face hard enough to send it flying, spilling teeth, before bisecting it without receiving any damage in return. At this point I abandoned the fortress in total shame. Half the population dead or crippled, the rest miserable.

An unfortunate convergence of circumstances.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: October 12, 2010, 10:47:07 pm »

If you needed it desperately, you should've allowed anyone to trade.
The whole flooding and grizzly bear thing was just unfortunate, though.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: October 13, 2010, 02:11:24 am »

I just had a forgotten beast show up and ambush one of my miners.  The beast walked up to the miner, brused his upper right arm, and just stood there.   The miner turned around and drove his pick into the beast's brain.

And then continued mining again.  I thought the canceled designation was from the FB.  Turns out there was actually magma on the other side of that wall.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

DPunch4

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBurger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: October 13, 2010, 03:25:03 am »

Urist McCarpender decides to go moody and make an artifact bed.. that depicts the very same artifact bed.. "Image of the blowing lock, the alder bed, in alder"

Next I'll be getting an axe with an axe engraved in it... ???
Urist McSuperCreative crafted a badass pig iron hammer- "On the item is an image of Badass Hammer the pig iron war hammer in pig iron.

DPunch4

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBurger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: October 13, 2010, 04:41:33 am »

novice blacksmith started on a mysterious construction, i was hoping to get a cool weapon and legend weaponsmith. I got a bloody floodgate with depictions of waves on it....
Urist McSuperCreative crafted a badass pig iron hammer- "On the item is an image of Badass Hammer the pig iron war hammer in pig iron.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: October 13, 2010, 05:10:05 am »

novice blacksmith started on a mysterious construction, i was hoping to get a cool weapon and legend weaponsmith. I got a bloody floodgate with depictions of waves on it....

At least it's strangely appropriate.

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: October 13, 2010, 12:23:31 pm »

Meanwhile, In Tombsilent, I proceeded to royaly screw up Project: Artifact Pond by somehow not having all 10 of the floodgates needed to maintain it linked up to a lever. Which was somehow able to be flooded by the inevitable explosion of released water, even though I thought it was thourghly sealed off.
Even now, whole cascadses of 7-deep water tiles are going of the edge of the map and flooding the poor saps who live in the nearby valley - I.e, The Mountainholmes and a goblin tower are experiancing a flash-flood from the mountain, so migrants and caravans come later than they should and I get seiged like I accidently flooded their entire base and killed their leader or something. And I may also have accidentaly drowned all the Elves because they suddenly stopped coming to trade, so at least there's a silver lining.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: October 13, 2010, 12:50:46 pm »

Oh, I started a fortress in a biome with the "untamed wilds" tag. Made a militia to kill any animals that annoy my group.

I screwed up. I left the squad active, and they proceeded to attack every single rhesus macaque in sight. One of the monkeys jumped into a pond from 3 z-levels above my base. My expedition leader/militia commander went in after him. *facepalm*.By the time I got a rescue squad together to save the leader, he died.
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: October 13, 2010, 05:38:30 pm »

Well... I guess this fort was just destined to fail no matter what.

Started a fort in a flat, calm, cold woodland area bordering a mountain containing a brook. Seemed absolutely perfect minus the freezing in winter, which was the first source of facepalms when injured dwarves started dying. Double facepalm when I ran out of booze.

Next facepalm came when I found out that if water is listed as 'above ground' even though it's in a sealed building, it will still freeze.

After successfully rerouting the river underground and setting up a proper underground well, without having to go into the caverns, I thought I was all set. I got a breeding pair of lions, gorillas and jaguars, plus some crocs, all stolen from the elves. I also had a military of 30 strong, poorly equipped but hoping sheer numbers would help until I got my metal industry working.

Sadly, the forces that be just didn't want this force to thrive. In year 4, I went from 80 dwarves to 60 when 4 goblin ambushes appeared inside my fort in less than a season. Facepalm. My grief-stricken military are all on the edge of tantrumming, and one even actually bashed my broker in the face with his shield, killing him. Face. Palm.

Then I get a siege. One squad of goblins. I take care of them rather easily. Shortly after, they send 2 squads, plus a squad of ogres. We barely fight them off with the help of the human caravan. I start building a wall around my entrance.

Then, in year 5, another siege. I didn't get to count exactly how many squads they had, but the list of invaders filled 4 pages. They proceeded to slaughter every single one of my dwarves. My head hit the desk, and now I'm debating whether to reclaim or embark somewhere far, far away from the goblins.
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard

lojban

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a nerd. I program python. i post if i see fit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: October 13, 2010, 05:50:36 pm »

so... i dug out an area for a water resivioire and told my dwarf to build a wall there.
it worked, and i thought no more of safety.
about 2 in-game-years later, i built a staircase 1 level below it, and since i am used to using up-downs literally everywhere,
and had forgotten how i had gotten the wall builder out, my whole base flooded since the resivoire was hooked up
to the aquifer. my dwarves couldn't stop it in tima and i had to annex 4 z-levels of my base, with only 1 dwarf casualty.
-smuci zasti fliba, menli sanli basti.    (that's lojban)

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: October 14, 2010, 12:14:56 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fucking frozen forgotten beast extract.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 12:16:50 am by !!crundle!! »
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: October 14, 2010, 01:26:00 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fucking frozen forgotten beast extract.

I don't think that dwarf is going to live too much longer.

Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 729