Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2131073 times)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #3555 on: January 02, 2011, 02:05:53 pm »

Good news: I now have 40 legendary fighters and shield users.

Bad news: My fort went from population of 120something to 41. Fully armed and starting to tantrum. the one is guy that was operating lever with pull task on repeat.

Danger room with 10-per-trap-training-spears produced by legendary carpenter: Priceless.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: January 02, 2011, 05:05:53 pm »

So, I started a new fort in a recently genned world. I just got to autumn, and migrants arrive, so I decide to start he farms by digging under a murky pool. I used an updown staircase for reasons I can't explain. So, I breach the underside of the pool. I start to wonder why the farms aren't filling, so I go down a z level. MY HOUSING DISRICT WAS FLOODED!!!!! *facpalm*
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: January 02, 2011, 05:56:47 pm »

Just after a single year of my fortress's life, the goblins ambushed. They actually attacked before the elves even arrived. I also happen to be in an area with little trees or plants, meaning I have no booze, and I can't go back down to the third cavern level because there's a forgotten beast down there and I had to seal it off. There's a tantrum spiral brewing, but I'm not giving up on this fortress. Not after discovering adamantine within five minutes of embark.

I'm just hoping to get enough coffins built before we're overrun with ghosts, too.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: January 02, 2011, 10:05:28 pm »

UristMcCook cancels sleep taken by mood. I check his skills: Novice Bonecarver... He claims a craftdwarfsshop. Well i wouldn't mind losing that dwarf but then again he would have been my first casualty, so i check what he wants. Shells... Well there is no water baring the caves and the caves have no fish. Then i remember there's a forgotten beast in the third cavern which is some snake with a shell.
My militia has been training for almost 3 years and killing camels so they're skilled already with the best guy level 9 in fighter so i figure just go for it.
Actually there were two fbs in the cavern but the military dispatched of them rather easily with their shiny candy masterwork weapons, not without the captain having her right arm bitten of but since she's a badass she just carries shield and silver hammer in the left hand now :D.
So the butchers work on the assorted beast parts and finally get to the mutilated snake corpse. Upon completion i inspect the workshop to find a nice stack of 118 beast shell.
I'm like, yeah enough for any crazy moods this fort my come across for years.
UristMcCook takes the whole stack and lots of other assorted gems cloth wood and stone to make a figurine of my civs first king (of course bugged like all bonecraft artifacts without decorations).
 >:(

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: January 02, 2011, 11:09:19 pm »

In hindsight, maybe boots are a more important part of a suit of armour then I thought. The guy I intended to be a one man army attacked a cave crocodile while waering full adamantine, sans footwear.

The crocodile bit both his feet off. I'm gonna need somebody new to wear the armour.

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3560 on: January 03, 2011, 09:30:15 am »

A strange mooding dwarf created a pair of leather shoes. That's not the facepalm, they're pretty nice shoes. However, after she completed them, I noticed she was flickering as if injured.

The creator of a pair of legendary shoes is missing a foot.

Most moods only create a single shoe. In this case... that would be rather fitting for once!

The_Final_Stand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: January 03, 2011, 01:15:12 pm »

My High Master Diagnostician and High Master Wound Dresser got himself sliced in the leg in a goblin ambush.
The irony. It burns.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: January 03, 2011, 01:22:33 pm »

Did the Gobliny have an irony daggery, then?
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #3563 on: January 03, 2011, 01:34:09 pm »

My adventurer was killed with easy headstrike because his nail was broken and he gave into pain.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: January 03, 2011, 04:22:45 pm »

I built a reservoir by desinating several z-levels with channels. The dorfs channelled downwards and started working on the bottom layer first even though the entrance was at the top. They managed to collaspe the top z level and kill all my best miners. The dust cloud tore through a nearby passage (leading to the farms) and slammed a few dorfs into the walls and left them choking.
Rest in Peace Urist McUnderminer.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

sir_schwick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: January 03, 2011, 05:45:18 pm »

Thinking that a sasquatch would be friendly.  He was for the first couple seasons.  Now it is mid-autumn of my first year and this yeti is rampaging through my fort scaring everybody.  Luckily is only injuring for now and killed a couple peasants.  Destroying all my workshops though :(  Could redeem the situation but I haven't had enough fun playing DF yet so I am just watching the carnage.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: January 03, 2011, 07:40:42 pm »

Alright, so I want to teach my fortress how to swim, since the entrance to the fort is going to be smack-dab in the middle of the river. I dig out a pair of 5x5 pits next to the river, which is 1 z-level below ground level. I place a pump to draw from the river, and a floodgate in between the pits. I then put everyone in militia squads and station them down there, locking the hatch behind them, except for two guys. One pumps the first pit full of water, and the second goes down to remove the floodgate (haven't breached the aquifer yet, so no stone for mechanisms). I make sure the hatch is locked.

Did I mention this is my first time doing this?

Anyway, it works pretty well; once the floodgate is moved, water rushes in from pit 1 to pit 2, filling it to about 3.5 z's of water, and my 20-odd dwarves float merrily in the water, a few of them making minor complaints of thirst. I consider it a successful test run, and instead of unlocking the hatch first, I designated the pump to be removed, to dump the water back into the river.

As soon as the pump is off, EVERY DWARF is swept into the river. Within moments they all drown, having not actually learned any real swimming yet. Turns out one guy was sleeping; he's all by himself and tantruming like mad.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: January 04, 2011, 05:15:41 am »

I really ought to be more careful with my planning. :( I took a small mountain and I wanted to make a wall and a moat around it. I build a bit too far, so I decided to move where I wanted the wall and moat. BUT, I forgot to clear the space above where I was walling, so I decided to channel that off. Channelled too much in one go, miner and a cook (and a puppy) heavily wounded and my other miner's gone to sleep instead of finishing digging out the hospital. I'm gonna re-embark for the hell of it. Don't mind starting over, anyway. Maybe a bit flatter this time. Evil would still be nice, though those skeletal goats are annoying.

DAMMIT I FORGOT TO BUY STUFF WHILE STARTING. I always start 'carefully' but now I embarked without buying extra dogs and seeds etc. I only changed my Dwarfs. ::)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 06:04:29 am by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: January 04, 2011, 09:29:28 am »

Crap Im full of fail's
I flooded the room that was supposed to be a underground farm , but well THAT DAMNED MINER DIDNT WANT TO PULL THE LEVER (yes i enabled his labor for that)
Good thing i had a save , i was able to channel it instead with the floodgate leading to the exit closed , and then i made some extra place (ye ye , the flood source was ofc for me a river , if it was a murky pool i wouldnt even bother building flood gates
Desu

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: January 04, 2011, 01:40:49 pm »

Crap Im full of fail's
I flooded the room that was supposed to be a underground farm , but well THAT DAMNED MINER DIDNT WANT TO PULL THE LEVER (yes i enabled his labor for that)
Good thing i had a save , i was able to channel it instead with the floodgate leading to the exit closed , and then i made some extra place (ye ye , the flood source was ofc for me a river , if it was a murky pool i wouldnt even bother building flood gates

There's a labor for lever pulling?
I don't think so...
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 729