Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 334 335 [336] 337 338 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126459 times)

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5025 on: September 18, 2011, 06:59:03 am »

I just realized why my jeweler starved herself to death.

The jeweler's workshop apparently was placed in a location where she shut herself in the room behind it..

W W W W W W W F F F
W S S S S S W F F F
W S S J J J W F F F
W S S J J J F F F F
W S C J J J W F F F
W S S S S S W F F F
W W W W W W W F F F

W = wall
S = stockpile
F = floor
J = Jeweler's workshop
C = corpse of jeweler

Oddly this problem has not been encountered for any other workshop using this setup.

So this I guess serves as a warning-- the Jeweler's workshop (no other workshops confirmed) blocks the movement of dwarves!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 07:00:35 am by Melissia »
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Boost One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5026 on: September 18, 2011, 07:07:11 am »

When building a workshop, darker green X shapes will tell you which parts are impassible.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5027 on: September 18, 2011, 07:09:47 am »

Ah... thank you!

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5028 on: September 18, 2011, 09:43:57 am »

@Before lifer:

Y'know, you could've brought some stone with you, brought a mechanic, built a support, made some mechanisms, built a lever, then hooked up the support to the lever so you could have could have collapsed stuff from a distance, right?
Yes i do know that but i wanted to try it as a minimulistice and i only brought 2 copper nuggets. Im still suprised that the cavein dust that hit my miner lanched him 2 z levels into the air. It disaped right after lanching him too! Ah well I need to have some forts that have a few deaths early on for once XD
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized

Hels

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5029 on: September 18, 2011, 11:44:20 am »

My best mildorf was hit up onto a the wall that surrounds the above ground training facility. I let the fort run and come back to see him dead from thirst.

He was hit up there while sparring. :\

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #5030 on: September 18, 2011, 11:55:15 am »

So this I guess serves as a warning-- the Jeweler's workshop (no other workshops confirmed) blocks the movement of dwarves!

Dwarven jewelers are not called "sucicide booth enthusiasts" for nothing.

Clutzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5031 on: September 18, 2011, 04:26:50 pm »

More of a face desk really. Realized instead of building paved roads I'd been placing floor tiles. D'oh.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5032 on: September 18, 2011, 04:32:33 pm »

Dwarven jewelers are not called "sucicide booth enthusiasts" for nothing.
Well, he's now occupying the first and only coffin/burial chamber I've had to make so far.

Mostly because usually when my dwarves die they die in unison.  This jeweler jumped the gun.  Or the jumped the hammer for a more thematic term.

MrC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5033 on: September 18, 2011, 08:42:07 pm »

on one of the older versions I equipped my entire militia with training weapons and accidentally trained one gobbo into a legendary spear goblin much !!fun!! was had when he eventually massacred my entire militia.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5034 on: September 19, 2011, 07:34:11 am »

I lost an entire squad (7 dwarves) to a single sturgeon, said sturgeon also slaughtered 16 other dwarves because instead of drinking the huge quantities of booze stashed away in the easily accessible stockpile, the went to the river. the thing was finally killed when a peasant knocked out in a goblin raid finally regained consciousness, went to the river for water, (DAMN!!) pulled the sturgeon out, and punched it to death.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5035 on: September 19, 2011, 08:22:58 am »

I lost an entire squad (7 dwarves) to a single sturgeon, said sturgeon also slaughtered 16 other dwarves because instead of drinking the huge quantities of booze stashed away in the easily accessible stockpile, the went to the river. the thing was finally killed when a peasant knocked out in a goblin raid finally regained consciousness, went to the river for water, (DAMN!!) pulled the sturgeon out, and punched it to death.
A solution to this problem for the future:  Build a channel that redirects the river in a U-shape, reconnecting with the river itself afterwards to keep the water as running water.  DO NOT let the water into the channel yet.  Build two grates, one on each end, and  THEN channel out the last two blocks to let the water flow through.  Designate a drinking area in this new channel.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #5036 on: September 19, 2011, 09:09:36 am »

I lost an entire squad (7 dwarves) to a single sturgeon, said sturgeon also slaughtered 16 other dwarves ...

sturgeon or surgeon?

Alloran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5037 on: September 19, 2011, 11:13:19 am »

So, got five years into a new fort. Snakeleaves or something like that. Was going well, had a surplus of everything, no invaders yet, blah blah. Good going stuff. Oh noes, an ambush! Go, admittedly untrained military! Oh... oh. You get murdered in five seconds flat. Er... um... Everyone inside, shut up the gates, it'll be okay while I get a danger room set up to go and kill 'em in a season or two! Wait, Urist McMiner has died of thirst? What the what what? Checked the Z-stocks screen. Oh. I'd apparently forgotten to make drinks for three years. >.> Those are important. All 60 some remaining dorfs in my fort fall over dead within twenty minutes of each other. Face, meet palm. >.<

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5038 on: September 19, 2011, 11:55:49 pm »

Well, I just breached the ocean about 15z down on accident.

This is going to end badly, all my miners (and picks!) are trapped in very rapidly flooding passages.

Fixed that mistake, and made another of the same type.   This time, I hit the ocean dead on instead of a corner....

And my entire fortress was underwater before anyone could blink.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 12:37:09 am by Vehudur »
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5039 on: September 20, 2011, 03:59:44 pm »

I lost an entire squad (7 dwarves) to a single sturgeon, said sturgeon also slaughtered 16 other dwarves ...

sturgeon or surgeon?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 334 335 [336] 337 338 ... 729