Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 429 430 [431] 432 433 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126678 times)

Xenogenic

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you will find the magma leak eventually.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #6450 on: June 14, 2012, 04:21:26 pm »

Mixing up "make ash" with "make charcoal" .... 180 bars of unwanted ash later, during a tree shortage.
Dwarven Safety is kind of like a gun in a kindergarten. every single toddler wants to play with it and they will put elaborate plans in motion to get their hands on it. A hundred tiny hands grasping for death and crawling all over you begging for it.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6451 on: June 14, 2012, 09:17:02 pm »

-
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 08:36:43 pm by IronTomato »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6452 on: June 14, 2012, 09:24:33 pm »

Mixing up "make ash" with "make charcoal" .... 180 bars of unwanted ash later, during a tree shortage.
Time to make a soap tower!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sean_Noy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6453 on: June 14, 2012, 09:46:36 pm »

This is my first post on the forums, so it seems fitting that it be in a Facepalm thread.
Okay.
I had FINALLY made a good fort with a fledgling metal industry, sustainable farms, and year round access to water. While digging out a stairwell for a new floor, I discovered a huge natural cavern. I decided to divert some of the river into the caverns to flood out any nasty beasties. While my miners were digging the channel, they fell and broke their legs on the cavern floor. Deciding I had come too far to stop now, I designated two more miners and had them break through to the river. When the first attempt wasn't flooding the cavern fast enough, I had the miners widen the hole.
I wound up with three badly wounded miners and a dead miner at the bottom of a slowly flooding cave, along with all of my picks.
I abandoned in shame.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6454 on: June 14, 2012, 09:56:51 pm »

This is my first post on the forums, so it seems fitting that it be in a Facepalm thread.
Okay.
I had FINALLY made a good fort with a fledgling metal industry, sustainable farms, and year round access to water. While digging out a stairwell for a new floor, I discovered a huge natural cavern. I decided to divert some of the river into the caverns to flood out any nasty beasties. While my miners were digging the channel, they fell and broke their legs on the cavern floor. Deciding I had come too far to stop now, I designated two more miners and had them break through to the river. When the first attempt wasn't flooding the cavern fast enough, I had the miners widen the hole.
I wound up with three badly wounded miners and a dead miner at the bottom of a slowly flooding cave, along with all of my picks.
I abandoned in shame.
You abandoned!?! Shameful indeed. I dont adandon till 95% of the poulation is dead, not dying you here, DEAD. You could have easily
1. Made more picks with you metal industry
2. Realized that mining is a replaceable profession
3. Realize that a rivers water is endless, i.e. if you try to flood a cavern, it will FLOOD, and overflow to the top.
4. Realize that caverns are harmless and just-plain fun training for the military and butchers, except for the deeper ones. They can be terrifying. Do you know what GCS poison does to a dwarf? *shudders* and the FBs, so random, and yet so possibly terrifying or hilarious.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sean_Noy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6455 on: June 14, 2012, 10:04:20 pm »

Okay.
I abandoned in shame.
You abandoned!?! Shameful indeed. I dont adandon till 95% of the poulation is dead, not dying you here, DEAD. You could have easily
3. Realize that a rivers water is endless, i.e. if you try to flood a cavern, it will FLOOD, and overflow to the top.
4. Realize that caverns are harmless and just-plain fun training for the military and butchers, except for the deeper ones. They can be terrifying. Do you know what GCS poison does to a dwarf? *shudders* and the FBs, so random, and yet so possibly terrifying or hilarious.
Considering I had drowned most of my previous fort, I don't know why I thought breaching the river was a good idea.
But losing is Fun, as they say.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6456 on: June 14, 2012, 10:27:05 pm »

Okay.
I abandoned in shame.
Considering I had drowned most of my previous fort, I don't know why I thought breaching the river was a good idea.
What were you doing to drown your fort? I generally design my forts in a way that water is never near the entrance, except ONCE. That was bad, one missed designation. NOw, I design my forts to be Floodable as a self-destruct. Hmm...

Sean_Noy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6457 on: June 14, 2012, 10:34:00 pm »

Okay.
I abandoned in shame.
What were you doing to drown your fort? I generally design my forts in a way that water is never near the entrance, except ONCE. That was bad, one missed designation. NOw, I design my forts to be Floodable as a self-destruct. Hmm...

"Hmm, I bet if I dig a single Z-level deep channel and breach the river it will fill the channel like a little trough and I HAVE MADE A HUGE MISTAKE ABANDON FORT"

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6458 on: June 14, 2012, 11:08:05 pm »

Okay.
I abandoned in shame.

"Hmm, I bet if I dig a single Z-level deep channel and breach the river it will fill the channel like a little trough and I HAVE MADE A HUGE MISTAKE ABANDON FORT"
See, Thats my problem here. I started a flood in a similar manner, for entirly different reasons. I was funneling water over to the mist gereator, and I dont knowwhat happened, but a hole was punched to my farms. It quickly overtook my workshop area, though severa ldwarves on the level were saved by quick thinking. Much of the water started draining down my main staircase, isolating the dwarves on the dining room level and mining areas. A sloor hatch blocked the water from draining deeper, and the bedrooms were quickly flooded. All I could save were dwarves in their rooms; the mayor, the sick, and the wounded were stranded by lack of doors. Things could not have looked bleaker, until you realize that the fort was coming out of a tantrum spiral that had claimed the lives of 70 dwarves, 100 remained. Then as all seemed lost, winter struck, freezing the river and stopping the flow of water. This allowed for the flood to evaporate, though the water was still surging through the fort, and the stranded wounded (of which there were many, by the way. Nasty Spiral, only averted by that Mist generator.) Would drown long before evaporation had brought levels down to a place where rescue was a option. Thinking Quickly, the head miner dug down from the dining room and connected a mining area a z-level down form the Bedrooms. He then Punched a hole in the infirmary. Relief spread quickly through the fort as water drained into the sytem, and the floor hatch was opened to allopw further drainage. Unfortunately, theire were casualties, mostly sustained through falls, a large number of wounded drained along with the water, leading to further, if slight injuries. All-in-all 10 dwarves died.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6459 on: June 15, 2012, 06:00:56 am »

See, Thats my problem here. I started a flood in a similar manner, for entirly different reasons. I was funneling water over to the mist gereator, and I dont knowwhat happened, but a hole was punched to my farms. It quickly overtook my workshop area, though severa ldwarves on the level were saved by quick thinking. Much of the water started draining down my main staircase, isolating the dwarves on the dining room level and mining areas. A sloor hatch blocked the water from draining deeper, and the bedrooms were quickly flooded. All I could save were dwarves in their rooms; the mayor, the sick, and the wounded were stranded by lack of doors. Things could not have looked bleaker, until you realize that the fort was coming out of a tantrum spiral that had claimed the lives of 70 dwarves, 100 remained. Then as all seemed lost, winter struck, freezing the river and stopping the flow of water. This allowed for the flood to evaporate, though the water was still surging through the fort, and the stranded wounded (of which there were many, by the way. Nasty Spiral, only averted by that Mist generator.) Would drown long before evaporation had brought levels down to a place where rescue was a option. Thinking Quickly, the head miner dug down from the dining room and connected a mining area a z-level down form the Bedrooms. He then Punched a hole in the infirmary. Relief spread quickly through the fort as water drained into the sytem, and the floor hatch was opened to allopw further drainage. Unfortunately, theire were casualties, mostly sustained through falls, a large number of wounded drained along with the water, leading to further, if slight injuries. All-in-all 10 dwarves died.

And this is why water is used on a daily basis for everything.
Also, only ten?

Now for mine:
WAY back in 0.31.25, before I remembered my forums password, I had one dwarf among many. He inflicted disease on those he maced. Some say that he had unnatural powers.

I say that his brother's rotting hand still gripped the mace, saddening the dwarf and sending him to !!FUN!! City, population &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&, right after he slew 85% of my population.

Phillammon

• Bay Watcher
  • Taunt ye not the artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6460 on: June 15, 2012, 06:45:44 am »

Posting to watch. Also, one of my own- second fort ever, noticed as I was embarking that I had a lot of embark points left, was vaguely wondering why, but decided not to assign them.

Turned out I'd forgotten to bring any food or alcohol.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6461 on: June 15, 2012, 10:04:50 am »

Posting to watch. Also, one of my own- second fort ever, noticed as I was embarking that I had a lot of embark points left, was vaguely wondering why, but decided not to assign them.

Finally! This happened to someone besides me!

Phillammon

• Bay Watcher
  • Taunt ye not the artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6462 on: June 15, 2012, 10:17:53 am »

Finally! This happened to someone besides me!

Manage to survive to thrive... well, relatively... until the caravan came along with booze and food.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6463 on: June 15, 2012, 10:29:02 am »

AFter nearly a year of playing this game, I noticed the up/down stair designate. I'd been manually having them made....

I won't lie, i kinda wish I could go back to when I had no idea what I was doing....

WriterX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6464 on: June 15, 2012, 04:23:22 pm »

Not realizing Lye freezes. When I wanted to start making soap during the winter my first thought was "Where is my Lye?! I have all this Tallow... I must make MORE LYE!"

*one Wiki check later*

"Oh..."
Pages: 1 ... 429 430 [431] 432 433 ... 729