Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 586 587 [588] 589 590 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130817 times)

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8805 on: September 07, 2014, 10:32:04 am »

My current embark is a an evil mountain next to neutral plains.   Main fort is in the mountain, and I'm using the plains for my animals and butchers workshop.   No evil rains or clouds, but there are a few undead critters roaming around.

First face palm was when I ordered bones, skulls, etc to be dumped inside the fort.  I accidentally brought in some yak hair with it, which promptly reanimated and started attacking.   Luckily there were no serious injuries.

Second face palm is that I'm currently trying to build a shelter over the pastures.  I enabled masonry on my military and started building.  I figured if anything came by, they'd be able to kill it.   Instead I have an owl hovering above it, close enough to cause cancellations, too far away to be hit.  My marksdwarves are shooting all their bolts into the sky, they've gone though a couple stacks of ammo and the combat log only has 1 hit.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8806 on: September 07, 2014, 08:30:47 pm »

Ran into a Giant Cave Spider Recruit in Adventure Mode. Nuff' said.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8807 on: September 08, 2014, 02:23:19 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 03:11:24 pm by jei »
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8808 on: September 08, 2014, 02:59:42 pm »

Now, Magma crab triplets. Sorry for the bad picture. Wondering what to do with them.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 03:11:56 pm by jei »
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8809 on: September 08, 2014, 05:34:30 pm »

Now, Magma crab triplets. Sorry for the bad picture. Wondering what to do with them.
Basalt ballistics

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8810 on: September 08, 2014, 05:36:24 pm »

Basalt ballistics

They shoot magma now, not basalt.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8811 on: September 09, 2014, 06:59:41 am »

Having not had any FBs in a while, and wanting to challenge my military a bit more, I had my miners dig a staircase down into the caverns that leads up to the main entrance/training area.

Upon breaching the 1st cavern I immediately got an announcement about a Giant Wasp, with poisonous sting, FB that had clearly been chilling in the part of the caverns I never bothered to explore. Happy to have something at least somewhat dangerous for my military to fight, I had my civies stay inside, and set the camera to follow the FB so I could watch.

Almost immediately after resuming the FB flew straight past the staircase opening in the ceiling and instead started fighting two Blind Cave Ogres, getting completely decimated and barely doing any damage besides the one sting it got in...

Guess it's back to digging.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8812 on: September 09, 2014, 11:43:37 am »

Messed up my cistern system, now I have to wait until the freeze starts in mid autumn to fix it... luckily I should have plenty of booze this time... just gonna let all the water flow into the cavern

aiseant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8813 on: September 10, 2014, 08:17:09 am »

The whole fortress is closed, everyone inside, why should I care about your undead attack ?
... oh ... wait a minute ...
Didn't I told you lazy bastards to get this MegaBeast Firebreather corpse OUT of there ?
http://tenshedkadol.wordpress.com/

As a Urist McFrenchy, please forgive my english

Heck, only the elves would tame a leech. [...] Just for this, I'm starting up lead goblet production. Anyone who tries to sell me a tame leech deserves to die from lead poisoning.

soulsource

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8814 on: September 11, 2014, 01:33:19 pm »

For me the most facepalm moment up to now was actually two days ago, when I tried to sell a caged undead to the caravan...
I should have read the wiki article, then I would have known that non-trainable hostile creatures are set free, when one tries to haul their cage to the trade depot. Furthermore, I learned that it's a bad idea to send soldiers armed with crossbows to kill a suddenly set free undead in the middle of the crowded common dining area...
You might have guessed, the first missed shot hit a civilian dwarf, causing the armed civilians (hunters, woodcutters) to attack the soldiers, causing more bloodshed, and the overall chaos triggered by the resulting tantrum spiral leading to a spontaneous depopulation of the whole fortress to a point, where I chose to abandon it...
Quote from: Porkins Windu
Really, DF and Metal are practically the same. Drunkenness, Death, Depression, Depravity, Despondence, Demons, Dementia, Darkness. And thats just the D's!

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8815 on: September 11, 2014, 01:38:52 pm »

Really? Your crossbows can hit your own people? I've watched them shoot through my melee troops (without hitting them) often enough that I thought they couldn't hit friendlies. Or maybe it's just friendly civilians that they hit, but they're more careful when shooting past troops that might do more that just complain to the Mayor about it?

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8816 on: September 11, 2014, 01:42:29 pm »

Simple pair of goblin ambushes... Sent some markdwarves to take care of it, and I forgot to give them metal bolts instead of wooden ones, lost ten elite markdwarves that I just spent three in-game years constantly training.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8817 on: September 11, 2014, 03:05:09 pm »

Really? Your crossbows can hit your own people? I've watched them shoot through my melee troops (without hitting them) often enough that I thought they couldn't hit friendlies. Or maybe it's just friendly civilians that they hit, but they're more careful when shooting past troops that might do more that just complain to the Mayor about it?

Keith
I think that's actually a glitch, any civilian who sees a hostile inside the base panics and is suddenly treated like an enemy by military... a source of much Fun when you accidentally release an unarmed goblin and they run through your dining room before being killed leading to a slaughter of everyone...

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8818 on: September 12, 2014, 06:47:41 am »

Had a dwarf child claim a Craft shop, then berserk for some reason or the other. Probably because of lacking materials, not that I was bothering to check a child-mood. I set my fledgling military on the berserking brat, who promptly gets struck down... and while I'm leaving the mangled corpse there in my main stairwell to toughen up my dwarfs mentally, one dwarf or another gets upset and starts to fight each other... over and over. It'll be good to see how many dwarfs survive this... quasi-tantrum spiral?
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

soulsource

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8819 on: September 12, 2014, 07:24:59 am »

Ok, I didn't know about the glitch, and the "hit the wrong target explanation" sounded reasonable to me. I didn't read through the very long combat reports... That'll teach me to keep panicked dwarfs and military well separated...
Quote from: Porkins Windu
Really, DF and Metal are practically the same. Drunkenness, Death, Depression, Depravity, Despondence, Demons, Dementia, Darkness. And thats just the D's!
Pages: 1 ... 586 587 [588] 589 590 ... 729