Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126707 times)

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #480 on: October 10, 2009, 12:42:06 pm »

Most recently...
Starting from the begining all on same fort, embarked on a map 16x16 with everything on it UGP UGR Chasm, magma pipe and pool, and hidden fun stuff, planned the whole expedition, embarked...looked around to mark out important spots; magnatite deposites, consentrations of visible gems, Bitumous coal, peat, native copper, native aluminum, native silver, pitchblende, ect.minerals, chasm, fresh water swamp, river with 16z drop falls, 15zcliffs, ....."Where the hell is my magma pipe?" (oh well I'll just have to be careful while digging), start digging into the cliffs....hit warm rock, moved hit moist rock, moves from cliffs, found snailmen didn't enjoy me in the swamp, moved in between chasm and river, learned that GCSs didn't like me near the chasm, at around 5+ i didn't stick around, moved to other side of river near map edged mountain cliffs, found that the two legged rhino lizards SWARMED the mountian cliff face and my only cat (who adoped my miner) loved to drag them to the dwarf with crazed speed, I had to butcher cat to stop the miasma flows, by this time I'm out of booze and hitting the first caravan with carpy basalt crafts, when they deside to constantly come from the other side of the map, the arive once out of four savescums being killed by the harshness, and when they arive, they bring some food, and some craft carp I wont use for a few years, they leave losing guard to 2 GCS as they walk calmly past, leason leaves no trouble, blast past some time into winter where my entire river freezes solid, notes that the fresh water swamp is not even chilly, three kolbolds show up and make off with some crafts I left in the tradepost, and run off south down the moutains, mule I desided to keep for later uncovers an ambush of GCS and I lock up my dwarfs inside till spring, GCS leave and river melts drowning one, I set up for fishing to discover that my dwarves never catch anything...looks for cause NO fish survive for who knows why, fast forward to summer where I've dug a tunnel to the fresh water swamp to hunt for snailmen....seeing that there is the only watersoarce and food soarce, breach into the magma pipe/then UGP/ then hit the UGR/ savescum to avoid deaths set dwarves to hunt, and they go strait to the chasm to attack the GCS/Chasm mountain to attack the moutain goats, and one guy my woodcutter axemen reaches the snailmenless then 15 tiles away compaired to GCS/goats at over 35....woodcutter gets gored by 4 snailmen......Facepalms/just gives up......

If you dont like walls of text dont read it...
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

Zruku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: October 10, 2009, 02:01:15 pm »

Most recently...
Starting from the begining all on same fort, embarked on a map 16x16 with everything on it UGP UGR Chasm, magma pipe and pool, and hidden fun stuff, planned the whole expedition, embarked...looked around to mark out important spots; magnatite deposites, consentrations of visible gems, Bitumous coal, peat, native copper, native aluminum, native silver, pitchblende, ect.minerals, chasm, fresh water swamp, river with 16z drop falls, 15zcliffs, ....."Where the hell is my magma pipe?" (oh well I'll just have to be careful while digging), start digging into the cliffs....hit warm rock, moved hit moist rock, moves from cliffs, found snailmen didn't enjoy me in the swamp, moved in between chasm and river, learned that GCSs didn't like me near the chasm, at around 5+ i didn't stick around, moved to other side of river near map edged mountain cliffs, found that the two legged rhino lizards SWARMED the mountian cliff face and my only cat (who adoped my miner) loved to drag them to the dwarf with crazed speed, I had to butcher cat to stop the miasma flows, by this time I'm out of booze and hitting the first caravan with carpy basalt crafts, when they deside to constantly come from the other side of the map, the arive once out of four savescums being killed by the harshness, and when they arive, they bring some food, and some craft carp I wont use for a few years, they leave losing guard to 2 GCS as they walk calmly past, leason leaves no trouble, blast past some time into winter where my entire river freezes solid, notes that the fresh water swamp is not even chilly, three kolbolds show up and make off with some crafts I left in the tradepost, and run off south down the moutains, mule I desided to keep for later uncovers an ambush of GCS and I lock up my dwarfs inside till spring, GCS leave and river melts drowning one, I set up for fishing to discover that my dwarves never catch anything...looks for cause NO fish survive for who knows why, fast forward to summer where I've dug a tunnel to the fresh water swamp to hunt for snailmen....seeing that there is the only watersoarce and food soarce, breach into the magma pipe/then UGP/ then hit the UGR/ savescum to avoid deaths set dwarves to hunt, and they go strait to the chasm to attack the GCS/Chasm mountain to attack the moutain goats, and one guy my woodcutter axemen reaches the snailmenless then 15 tiles away compaired to GCS/goats at over 35....woodcutter gets gored by 4 snailmen......Facepalms/just gives up......

Sounds like someone just had a ton of ''fun''.

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: October 10, 2009, 04:50:56 pm »

Facepalms because DF is a wall of text and icons....also it was very "Fun"...
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

Retro42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: October 10, 2009, 10:43:43 pm »

All HFS related.  So spoilered.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: October 10, 2009, 10:49:12 pm »

Was the booze explosion the first notice of them that you got?
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Retro42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: October 11, 2009, 06:20:09 am »

First notice was them crushing the doors to that room.  Then it went downhill very quick.  The world burned on that loss.

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: October 11, 2009, 05:54:15 pm »

First notice was them crushing the doors to that room.  Then it went downhill very quick.  The world burned on that loss.

Should've just flooded it and cut your losses.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: October 11, 2009, 06:20:41 pm »

Don't you know that that doesn't work against firey clowns.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: October 11, 2009, 06:31:41 pm »

Don't you know that that doesn't work against firey clowns.

maybe not, but you're going down anyway.

Irasian

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 11, 2009, 11:08:01 pm »

When I started on a map with which I thought was perfect
flux stone yes
Temperature Temperate
Heavily forested
heavy vegetation
magma pipe
calm
underground river
soil layer

and I forgot to bring picks and any sort of metal item besides an axe. Don't ask how I managed it.
 :'(
Mind posting the parameters for that map?
Sorry I deleted the region

FlamingCow

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Cow!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: October 14, 2009, 01:48:07 am »

Upon building by caravan dropping trade route over my bottomless pit, I lost 2 dwarves (the first a legendary miner/legendary mason, the second a legendary engraver/legendary mason) to the damned fools building a floor off a bridge, the first time I didn't know you couldn't do it, the second time they were just conspiring against me! Note: Bridges pseudosupport constructions. They support enough to build, but as soon as it's built it will cave in...

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: October 14, 2009, 04:56:40 am »

I finally gave in to cheese and put a channel round the edge of my map on the forest side (not on the mountain), as all my woodcutter/peasants kept getting ambushed there.  The season changes, and the dwarf caravan shows up in a sensible place to get to my depot.  Not so with the liason, who appears on the 1-tile wide strip behind the channel, and proceeds to start walking around it.  Guess what he finds?  Ambush!  Dead liason.  THEN I realize I've been mining ore veins/expanding the magma area for a couple of seasons, and I didn't save yet...

>:(
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: October 14, 2009, 10:39:10 pm »

Mind posting the parameters for that map?
Sorry I deleted the region
*Facepalm*

Raviaric

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CARDBOARD_BOXES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: October 15, 2009, 02:22:47 pm »

This was in my current fort, which happens to be on the 2D version.

I was having trouble with the seventeen elephants roaming the wilderness. I lost two dwarves and a pet bull to them. I ordered all dwarves inside and pulled the lever that seals off my fortress. It was too late when I realised I had pulled the wrong lever, drowning my grower/herbalist/brewer while he was picking cave flowers in my farming area. Facepalm. I then pulled that lever again, draining the controlled flood, and pulled the one I had meant to pull. Then I realized my only metalsmith and my carpenter were trapped outside now. I couldn't pull the lever again because that would make my drawbridge gate crush them. Double facepalm.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: October 15, 2009, 11:59:47 pm »

Just happened. Was doing some spring cleaning in my fortress and decided to finish clearing my caged invaders. Two turned out to be already dead (and perfectly preserved in their cages, might I add, we have discovered dwarf refrigeration), but two others, who turned out to be a goblin pikeman and axelord, were hauled up to my splatter tower.

I use a retracting bridge to drop creatures (goblins who step on my cage traps or orcs who are knocked unconscious there) 8 z-levels onto some weapon traps. It's messy, inefficient, and brutal, making it very entertaining to watch. However, with the last pair I messed up on the lever timing and the same dwarf pulled both the close-floodgates lever an the release goblins lever. The cages opened first, and the axelord  managed to slip out. So now I have a goblin axelord released at the top of a stairwell that leads into my fortress already behind my defenses. Luckily, one of my hammerdwarf squads (all multi-legendary in hammerdwarf, wrestling, shield, and armor user skill, real champions) happened to be sitting on the ground level and were quickly set to guard the stairwell, and a marksdwarf happened to be nearby who put several bolts into him, but still. I released an axelord in the middle of my freakin fortress.

Later I began trying to floor a 31x31 tower to do an obsidian casing. After laying over 200 floor tiles, it occurred to me that I could use the bauxite clusters I had been digging through for years to just put up magma-proof bridges, since I was going to cast over them anyways. Takes 1/3 of the hauling jobs, though it's still probably a little slower (since it uses only 5% or so of the dwarf labor required to manually lay the floor tiles). Freed up most of my hauler force to clean up the mess from siege or smelt more of the endless piles of ore on this map (6 z-levels of magnetite infused limestone on top of quartzite layers drowning in sphalerite, with gold and bituminous coal in the bottom gabbro layers... I love this place).
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 729